Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 PM   #1301
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
It's easy to feel this way during July when the rich get richer. But we all know this is not the case. Just look at the Conference finalists last year: Anaheim, Columbus, New Jersey, Ottawa. All medium-to-low salaried teams. All had a better chance to win the Cup than any of the big spendors.

The big spenders do tend to have better records in the regular season, but the way play-off hockey is one hot goaltender, one strange bounce, and a team with a $30 million pay-roll is right there with a team with a $65 million pay-roll...

While this is an accurate statement, it's only because there are only 4-6 big market teams and a couple have their heads perpetually stuck in their rectum (*cough*Rangers, Flyers*cough*). So, in the playoffs, it's possible for weaker teams to win out, particularly if a goalie gets hot. However, more often than not, the cup follows the money.

I've seen this argument more often in relation to baseball and it's flawed: if you spend a lot more money, you drastically increase your chance to win and that's what's not fair.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:21 PM   #1302
Karim
College Starter

Once unrestricted, a player doesn't always remain unrestricted. If Kariya took above the league average, he's be a restricted free agent after this year and his rights would remain with Colorado.

And this "little trick" won't backfire because the current CBA expires in September of next year. Kariya will be an unrestricted free agent as of July 1st, 2004.

Sakic
Forsberg
Hejduk
Kariya
Selanne
Blake
Foote

7 national team/world class players on one team. Have we seen this before?

Gretsky
Messier
Kurri
Anderson
Coffey
Lowe
Fuhr

And to those who hate hockey and are thinking about posting their witticisms... PFO.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #1303
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
Well, shit, we're even further from the next Bengals' visit to the playoffs then we are the next hockey playoffs, but we don't go into your Bengals threads and point that out.

CR

I feel bad for posting that, now Chief. I went to check if I got any responses and saw that I happened to post amongst a very heated discussion, and even took the time to read your post. Longest thing I've read about hockey in my lifetime, no kidding. If it's any help, whenever I rent a hockey game I always pick the Ducks.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #1304
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
That being said, I don't think Hatcher is all that. He makes bad plays. He can be slow. This does give the Wings the best blue line in the league, but they still lack some punch up front. They couldn't score goals last year in the play-offs. This is why they lost. The Wings still need some more punch up front.

You're the smartest Red Wings fan I know!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:44 PM   #1305
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
You're the smartest Red Wings fan I know!

Well, that's one and counting

*goes off to weep quietly in a corner while reading an article from the Tribune about how the Hawks have become the Clippers of the NHL*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:20 PM   #1306
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Since no one has mentioned this with the big signings today...

The Flames traded Chris Drury :/

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=46264
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:15 PM   #1307
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is going to suck. Once again we are going to get flooded with articles about just how great Pierre Lacroix is. Blah, blah, blah... Selanne... blah, blah, blah Kariya for $1.2 million... Blah, blah, blah....

$1.2 million? I understand the free agent aspect of it. But, come on! He could have gotten a one year deal for a lot more on a team that wasn't Evil! Bah!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:03 PM   #1308
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Smart move by Kariya, even if he does lose his soul in the after life. At least Ray Bourque will keep him company.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:33 AM   #1309
bbor
Pro Starter

Excellent deal by the Flames....they were'nt gonn abe able to sign Drury...and to pick up Rhienprecht is excellent.I really like these 2 players....Drury is more flashy...but Rhienprecht is solid.

BTW...Roy cannot come back to the Avs this season...he signed his retirement papers..which means there is NO way for him to come back this season.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:34 AM   #1310
Karim
College Starter

Drury didn't want to play in Calgary the moment he was traded here. I won't miss him.

Calgary got two home grown boys with size and talent who want to be here for the price that won't even sign Drury. Now with a surplus of rugged defenceman, expect Boughner to be out the door for a forward.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:48 AM   #1311
bbor
Pro Starter

How'd ya like to send us Boogie for Tucker?

If f'n Quinn ain't gonn amke any deals...I WILL!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:13 AM   #1312
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I woke up this morning and Kariya and Selanne are still with the Avs. Twas not a nightmare...

I like Detroit's defense though:

Lidstrom/Schneider (I actually forgot he was on the Wings)
Chelios/Fischer
Hatcher/Wooley

An imposing blue-line. Some muscle. Some meaness. Some scoring. Some size.

Still need some help upfront.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #1313
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The more I think about this Kariya/Selanne deal, the less I like it.

I'll say it again: if there's one thing I hate in sports, it's atheletes who've never been able to win anything on their own thinking it's their god-given right to be parachuted onto a winning team so they can get their ring.

I hereby give Kariya a new nickname: "Clemens"
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #1314
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I really don't see what's wrong with it. In fact, I'd rather see a player concerned more about winning than what his pay cheque is.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:11 AM   #1315
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs

I'll say it again: if there's one thing I hate in sports, it's atheletes who've never been able to win anything on their own thinking it's their god-given right to be parachuted onto a winning team so they can get their ring.

I disagree entirely with this entire statement. It isn't as though Kariya demanded he be traded to a winning team (Clemens from TO to NY), or said he would do one thing and then did another (Clemens stating it wasn't all about money, then signing the biggest deal he could score), or anything of the sort.

The Ducks didn't qualify him, and so he had 30 options. He chose to take a HUGE paycut (I think this is of unprecendented size in North American sports) in order to play with a friend and on a team with a very good chance of winning.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:14 AM   #1316
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
I disagree entirely with this entire statement. It isn't as though Kariya demanded he be traded to a winning team (Clemens from TO to NY), or said he would do one thing and then did another (Clemens stating it wasn't all about money, then signing the biggest deal he could score), or anything of the sort.

The Ducks didn't qualify him, and so he had 30 options. He chose to take a HUGE paycut (I think this is of unprecendented size in North American sports) in order to play with a friend and on a team with a very good chance of winning.

It sounds nice. It sounds very nice. Taking a pay-cut to play with your best friend on a talented team with dreams of winning the Cup, holding it up, side-by-side with Teemu...

Sounds wonderful if not for the taint of EVIL.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:15 AM   #1317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

That would be Ray Borque.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:21 AM   #1318
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OK, the Clemens thing was a bit harsh. Nobody's that bad. But...
Quote:
True enough, and if he felt so insulted by the Ducks that he had to move on, so be it. But the team only cut him (that's basically what they did, after all) after he refused to renegotiate his deal.

The whole "I want to play with my buddy Teemu" thing is a red herring. If he had taken the pay cut that the Ducks offered, they would have had the money to sign Selanne.

I don't think Kariya's a bad guy. I just wish for once one of these guys would say "Look, I want to win a championship, and so far I haven't. I take responsibility for that. This organization has been very good to me, and I'm supposed to be 'the man' here but I haven't got it done yet. So this year, I'm going to bust my ass to make sure we're in the hunt. My work here isn't done. I'm not going anywhere."

Instead, it's the same old story: "I haven't won yet, winning is hard, let me out of here so I can go somewhere else where they know how to win and are willing to take me along for the ride."
Old 07-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #1319
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
OK, the Clemens thing was a bit harsh. Nobody's that bad.

Ray Borque.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #1320
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why should he have to renegotiate his deal? Just as I hate players like Yashin who stage a hold-out even while still under contract, I hate teams that seem to feel a player should renegotiate his contract. Both people signed it, so both should honor it.

As for the whole "take responsibility and win it in Anaheim" argument, that's all well and good I suppose. But keep in mind that hockey is a TEAM game, more than most sports. And for most of his career, the Ducks management haven't exactly surrounded him with great players. Even this year, with their march to the cup and all, they aren't out there trying to get better. Other teams are loading up, and Anaheim is letting Oates go, and balking at Kariya's demands. Kariya has waited 10 years to get a good group of teammates, and now that they are (were) just a small step away from the cup, the team isn't willing to go the extra mile and grab up a couple players and really make a run.

Realistically, even if Kariya re-signed, what were the odds that Anaheim would repeat this years run? Giguere had to play like a man possessed, and they got ALL the bounces (you don't win that many overtimes strictly on skill). Even with that, they came up just short. If they aren't going to add any talent, and are for sure losing a guy like Oates, what are the odds that it all falls together like that again? Never mind the fact that Detroit is adding Hasek and Hatcher, etcetera, etcetera.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #1321
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Why should he have to renegotiate his deal? Just as I hate players like Yashin who stage a hold-out even while still under contract, I hate teams that seem to feel a player should renegotiate his contract. Both people signed it, so both should honor it.
His contract had expired. Anaheim had the first right to qualify him for $10M, but it's not like they broke a deal (like Yashin always does).

Quote:
As for the whole "take responsibility and win it in Anaheim" argument, that's all well and good I suppose. But keep in mind that hockey is a TEAM game, more than most sports. And for most of his career, the Ducks management haven't exactly surrounded him with great players. Even this year, with their march to the cup and all, they aren't out there trying to get better. Other teams are loading up, and Anaheim is letting Oates go, and balking at Kariya's demands. Kariya has waited 10 years to get a good group of teammates, and now that they are (were) just a small step away from the cup, the team isn't willing to go the extra mile and grab up a couple players and really make a run.
That rings hollow. A big part of the reason that they didn't surround him with a cast of stars is that he was sucking up a third of the payroll. It's good to know that he's willing to play for $1.2M in order to win. If he's been willing to do that in Anaheim, they'd have plenty of guys around him.

Quote:
Realistically, even if Kariya re-signed, what were the odds that Anaheim would repeat this years run? Giguere had to play like a man possessed, and they got ALL the bounces (you don't win that many overtimes strictly on skill). Even with that, they came up just short. If they aren't going to add any talent, and are for sure losing a guy like Oates, what are the odds that it all falls together like that again? Never mind the fact that Detroit is adding Hasek and Hatcher, etcetera, etcetera.
I'll be honest, I really don't thinkk the Ducks are that good. I agree with you that their run was a combination of luck and good timing. But the Ducks were looking to add talent -- Kariya's buddy, Selanne. They were willing to pay Kariya/Selanne a combined $9M, more than the Avs did. They just didn't want to take it.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 AM   #1322
TroyF
Coordinator

I'll be honest, I really don't thinkk the Ducks are that good. I agree with you that their run was a combination of luck and good timing. But the Ducks were looking to add talent -- Kariya's buddy, Selanne. They were willing to pay Kariya/Selanne a combined $9M, more than the Avs did. They just didn't want to take it.

Why should they have? I'm sorry, but Paul Kariya made THE most memorable plays of the playoffs. He's been a class act for 10 years. Yet the Ducks decide he isn't worth a qualifying offer? Sorry, that's a slap in the face. I have sympathy for Ducks fans like Chief Rum. I have no sympathy for the Ducks as a whole.

The CBA will be renegotiated next year. Lose a little money for one year and try to make a run. If they aren't willing to do it now, they'll never do it with that ownership.

As for a player thinking it's his God given right to win, I don't buy into that either. A player's #1 goal should be about winning. He should do everything he can. Take Ray Bourqe. He played nearly 2 decades in Boston and didn't win. Nobody will ever question his effort. He was a class act for that organization and that team for a long time.

He was 40. The Bruins weren't in a position to contend for another couple of years. Why shouldn't he try to go to a team with a chance of winning before he hangs up his skates? It isn't like he went to the Avs, played 5 minutes a night and rode his teammates coattails to the Cup.

I wish Kariya and Selanne would have been reunited in Anaheim. As much excitement that they'll bring to Denver next year, Anaheim was a GREAT story for the NHL. I'd love to have seen that continue.

One last thing. . . I know everyone calls the Avs evil (hell, I might call em evil if they weren't my hometown team), but I hope everyone understands how rare of a moment this is for the Avs. The Avs don't sign free agents. They simply don't do it. They make trades for free agents to be, and sign them when their contracts are up. Usually, they give up a lot of quality players in those deals. (Deadmarsh and Miller for Blake and Reinprecht isn't nearly as onesides as people originally thought it was for instance) Drury for Morris. Draft picks.

If the players they trade for don't fit into the system, they let them walk. (Fleury, Kasparitas) If they do fit in, they stay. (Bourqe, Blake)

This walking into free agency and signing players is something that Detroit and Dallas (the other high money teams in the West) use as part of their strategy.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #1323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
All's quiet at the moment...

Most rumors have the Wings as the #1 suitors for Derian Hatcher. I think Hatcher is very over-rated, but the Wings have lacked that big, mean defenseman ever since Vladdy's unfortunate accident. This also means the end of Fedorov as a Wing...

The Lindros waiver rumor was quashed. It was interesting. Also, all reports indicate that the Rangers don't want Joseph. Don't feel he's a big enough upgrade (for the difference in salary, around $4.7 million) over Dunham. It looks like the Wings could be caught once more with one too many starting goalies with the waiver wire as the only option.

I still have no idea where any of these guys are going to end up. The buyers are now becomming sellers. Colorado still has some cash to spend in the money it saved from Roy's putting out to pasture. Kariya would look pretty nifty skating along-side Sakic. Think about that one-two punch: Hejduk-Forsberg, Sakic-Kariya. This makes me sad and unhappy.

I hate to quote myself, but... These were my thoughts on Wednesday. I foresaw this all happening. It just seemed to make too much sense, Kariya with the Avs. I didn't see a $1.2 million deal, but I did see this.

Troy is right, Lacroix has always been very anti-free agency. Very much so. Maybe a small pick-up here and there, but never anything the likes of Dallas, Detroit, Philly, Toronto, and the Rangers. He's always been a deadline (or close to it) deal man: Fleury, Borque, Blake, Kasparitus, etc. The Avs seemed to have an endless supply of good young talent and draft picks. They have, however, dried up. The young talent pool is pretty dry at the moment. This is why free agency made so much sense. Even the Lacroix came out again this year and said "Nope. Not gonna do it." He had no other option and around $7.5 million burning a hole in his pocket.

It's got to be an incredibly exciting time to be an Avs fan. Incredibly. The thought of your first two line, which could very well be the best two lines in the NHL (any other team's #1 line being a 3rd line in Colorado) must be thrilling. I remember two years ago when the Wings got Hasek and Robitaille on the same day (Hull was to come some weeks later). My head was spinning for hours.

That being said, they are still EVIL. And I must hate them. I like passion in sport. It's all in good nature and fun. To this end, I must admit it'll be really fun to watch Hatcher level Kariya now.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:12 AM   #1324
TroyF
Coordinator

Honolulu,

The Avs will be the most exciting team to watch in the NHL next year. No doubt about it. The top two lines and the power play are going to be incredible. Add in how good Blake and Morris are as offensive defenseman and the Avs are certainly going to light the lamp a lot this year.

I look forward to seeing the Wings again. As I've said in many other posts, I've always liked the Wings. I don't get into the rivalry as deep as a lot of people. If the Wings aren't playing the Avs, I actually cheer for them. (gasp) I was really cheering hard for the Canucks this past season. I wanted to see them win the division and go to the cup.

It looks as though they blew their best shot to do it. I can't see anyone getting out of the Detroit/Colorado web next year if they can stay healthy.

TroyF
Old 07-04-2003, 11:16 AM   #1325
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Why should they have? I'm sorry, but Paul Kariya made THE most memorable plays of the playoffs. He's been a class act for 10 years. Yet the Ducks decide he isn't worth a qualifying offer? Sorry, that's a slap in the face.
They decided he wasn't worth $10M. And they're right. There's no way Kariya is worth that, especially after he was essentially a passenger through most of the playoffs.

The Ducks went to him and basically said "Look, we've overpaid you for years and never complained. Now we're asking you to help us out. Take a paycut, and we'll use that money to sign your best friend Teemu. Then let's get back to the Cup finals and win it this time."

That's a slap in the face? I guess it was to him. So he packs up his bags and jumps to a rival for a fraction of what the Ducks offered, and mumbles about wanting to win. This from a guy who a few weeks ago had a chance to play the biggest game of his life, game seven of the Cup finals, and did absolutely jack squat.

Thanks for the $50M, Anaheim. So long suckers.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #1326
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Hey, it's not like it's a given that Karyia is going to win a cup in Colorado anyway. And we can sit back and laugh when they don't and his little gamble didn't pay off. Hell, I remember this one guy who used to play goal, he left a team looking for a chance to win the cup and fell flat on his face in the 1st round. Ah, Curtis Jospeh, where are you now?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #1327
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
They decided he wasn't worth $10M. And they're right. There's no way Kariya is worth that, especially after he was essentially a passenger through most of the playoffs.

The Ducks went to him and basically said "Look, we've overpaid you for years and never complained. Now we're asking you to help us out. Take a paycut, and we'll use that money to sign your best friend Teemu. Then let's get back to the Cup finals and win it this time."

That's a slap in the face? I guess it was to him. So he packs up his bags and jumps to a rival for a fraction of what the Ducks offered, and mumbles about wanting to win. This from a guy who a few weeks ago had a chance to play the biggest game of his life, game seven of the Cup finals, and did absolutely jack squat.

Thanks for the $50M, Anaheim. So long suckers.

Give me a break. . .

OK, Kariya and the Ducks have a different view of what he's worth. All the more reason for Paul to go. If there is a difference in how the team values you to how you value yourself, it's time to take a walk.

As for doing Jack Squat in the final game, it's easy to forget that Paul had a pretty good season and playoff despite playing in a defensive system that he really wasn't suited for.

He was worth every penny of his previous contract to the Ducks. Last year he had 22 more points than the next closest Duck. To put that into perspective, he finished 13th in the NHL in scoring, the next closest Duck finished in a tie for 55th.

As I said earlier, I feel very sorry for the Mighty Duck fans. I would have preferred this didn't happen. Yet, I have no sympathy for the organization as a whole. They knew the risk of not making him the qualifying offer. They took their chances and paid the price.

TroyF
Old 07-04-2003, 12:39 PM   #1328
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Give me a break. . .

OK, Kariya and the Ducks have a different view of what he's worth. All the more reason for Paul to go. If there is a difference in how the team values you to how you value yourself, it's time to take a walk.

TroyF

Okay, I'm not a Ducks fan, but a very valid point was brought up earlier. If Kariya was willing to play for $1.2 (which of course the Ducks couldn't offer him until he was unrestricted), then why would he be so pissed about not being offered $10? I can understand wanting to be in a winning situation and taking the pay cut et al, but now Colorado has Kariya and Selanne for $7, leaving another $3 million for FA signings had they both gone to the Ducks that could have been used to bolster the rest of the team.

Obviously Kariya feels he's worth way more than the $1.2 he's going to be playing for, but it surprises me that a guy that's had the balls to play for a 'bad' team for so long and to see them finally make the finals, then bolts to one of the big boys for money any team in the league could have paid him. All the small market teams have to just be groaning seeing this happen.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:47 PM   #1329
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
That would make sense if he hadn't turned around and accepted an offer that was about one-fifth of what the Ducks were offering him.
Quote:
He was worth every penny of his previous contract to the Ducks. Last year he had 22 more points than the next closest Duck. To put that into perspective, he finished 13th in the NHL in scoring, the next closest Duck finished in a tie for 55th.
He made $10M, making him the fourth-highest paid player in the NHL. Unlike two of the guys who made more (Tkachuk and Lidstrom), he provides nothing in the way of defence or physical play. He's a scorer, pure and simple, and he only finished 13th in league scoring. How can you say he's worth every penny?

Let's not forget that unlike virtually ever other player in the top 20 salary list, Kariya was not an unrestricted free agent or on the verge of becoming one. He had no special leverage when he made his deal with the Ducks, but they gave him top-level money as a sign of good faith because they thought he was going to ben elite player. He didn't live up to that end of the bargain, but when the Ducks asked him to come down by a few million he sulked off to the Avs for a fraction of that. What am I supposed to admire here?
Old 07-04-2003, 01:49 PM   #1330
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

So what is the damn deal with Hasek-Cujo? Are they both Wings as of now? Does Detroit have a $16 million dollar goalie tandem, or is that not a "done deal" until Cujo leaves? Because with everyone talking about the Wings "having Hasek", I have to wonder if it's going to be so easy to unload Cujo. Oh, and his $8 million...
Old 07-04-2003, 02:13 PM   #1331
bbor
Pro Starter

The only way Detroit can trade Cujo and make sure he does'nt end up on the Avs is to trade him to a team that Desperatly needs goaltending(van) is in the play off hunt (VAN) can't afford to pay the whole salary of a superstar goalie(VAN) so Detroit picks up 3/4 of the tab as long as the team does'nt trade him to the Avs.

Either that or the Wings trade him to the Avs because they think he is finished and it will help them to beat the Avs if he were thier goalie

Old 07-04-2003, 04:29 PM   #1332
Karim
College Starter

bbor wrote:
Quote:
How'd ya like to send us Boogie for Tucker?

I'm not sure what Tucker makes but I'd be inclined to make this trade. Maybe draft picks either way to equalize any apparent discrepancies.

I've always liked Tucker and he did play with Iginla in Kamloops.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:05 PM   #1333
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
BTW...Roy cannot come back to the Avs this season...he signed his retirement papers..which means there is NO way for him to come back this season.

One other comment about Roy... he has also agreed to be the new GM of the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL (a team he co-owns, I beleive). So, it's not like he won't be doing anything next season...
Old 07-04-2003, 07:57 PM   #1334
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fidatelo, TroyF...I'm sorry, but you guys really need to actually take a look at the Ducks organization and what it has been doing and also re-evaluate the dollar value of a player, and also get in touch with what it is like to be a team losing gobs of money even when it's good before you can understand the situation that led to this debacle. The Ducks are not the Avs...they can't afford to do the things that the Avs can right now.

There was so much wrong with your posts that I have to respond in separate posts just to break things down.

Here are the things either or both of you have said that I protest to:

1) That the Avs are somehow different than the other big-spending teams (remove the Avs-colored glasses).

2) That the Ducks failed to put talent around Kariya and always had him on bad teams.

3) That Kariya doesn't owe the Ducks anything.

4) That Kariya is worth $10 M a year.

5) That Kariya is blameless in this past few days' fiasco, or that he is only doing what anyone would, or that he is coming out a saint for any reason in all this.

6) That the Ducks' decisions of the past few days are more indicative of bad management than a serious attempt at balancing financial Hell and keeping together and improving a Cup finalist.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-04-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:01 PM   #1335
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Myth #1

1) That the Avs are somehow different than the other big-spending teams (remove the Avs-colored glasses).

The former Nordiques have parlayed the luck of being the worst team in hockey the year prior to Eric Lindros arriving in the NHL and an extremely lucrative switch to Denver, a strong and growing metropolitan area with an East Coast-like passion for its sports teams, into one of the strongest financial bases you can find in the NHL. LaCroix has also been a great talent evaluator and a daring trader, and the Avs should be commended for having him. But it was the Lindros deal that turned them into a quality team--it's awful easy to be daring with trades when you're just looking to fill in the pieces, rather than trying to grab franchise cornerstones. It was the strong financial base of Denver, a new arena and a new fan base combined with the winning team bought with the "luck" of having the rights to Eric Lindros that allowed the Avs to maintain what they are today for so long.

I get the sense in your defense of LaCroix's "anti-free agency" attitude (kinda rings hollow right now, I think) that this in some way means Colorado isn't the same big, bad, wealth-engorged franchise that teams like Detroit and Dallas are because they don't just go out and buy the talent. Well, I'll give that their moves are a little more "noble" in that they have given up some players to get the stars they have, but I'm not buying the "but the Avs are different!" argument. First of all, almost all of the players they acquired in this manner have been from cash-strapped teams that are about to lose those players for nothing. The Avs bought them at the "low" value, and generally had few others to compete with because few others could afford to pay the guys they were seeking even for the remainder of the season. And the Avs did those deals because they knew, unlike virtually anyone else, that they could afford to just throw gobs of cash at these guys at the end of the season. Anyone remember the day before free agency a couple years ago when Roy, Blake and Sakic were all headed out? Yeah, what was it, $10 M contracts for each player? I can't remember the exact figures, but I know they were all huge. Are you frickin' kidding me? Do you think that a team that does this is just your average-joe team getting by with a few lucky trades, or your traditional bad-ass wealthy team that can afford to throw huge amounts of money at players without blinking? You guys seem to want to believe it is the former--I assure you from outside of the Avs-colored glasses that it is the latter. The Avs are no less "evil" than other big spending teams like Detroit or Dallas, just because they don't follow the straight method of talent acquisition--it's still money that keeps that team together and that's how the biggies are linked.

BTW, I know that doesn't give enough credit to LaCroix and the Avs for what they have done. They do deserve credit for making the right choices at the right time. And it is the strength of their decision-making which allows them to maximize their assets so well. But it is their assets which maintain the team. In that respect, they are no different than any of the other big-spending clubs.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #1336
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Myth #2

2) That the Ducks failed to put talent around Kariya and always had him on bad teams.

Okay, I'll throw out the obvious here. Who was in the Finals this year? Was it the Avs? Ummm...no.

I don't deny that the superstar talent Colorado has (even prior to the Kariya and Selanne signings) is a good deal more than what the Ducks have in store. But that's why we play the games out instead of just awarding it to the guys with the most talent (which, BTW, I still think might be awarded to Dallas or Detroit even now, were such an award given out).

The Ducks have been bad or mediocre more often than good in the past ten years, yes. But what do you expect? THEY ARE AN EXPANSION TEAM!

Five of the ten years of their existence can be pissed away right there for most expansion teams (the first five at the very least are virtually worthless for most expansion teams as they try and build talent). Despite this (I'll give examples in a second), the Ducks got to the playoffs in their fourth season.

And before you say "Florida Panthers!", note that that team was built around veterans and a good goalies and promptly was torn apart after their run to the Cup. The Panthers are still paying for the extravagances of making that run. The Lightning haven't been successful yet. San Jose has been hit-and-miss, and what success they have had has almost all been in the 2000s. Same with Ottawa, which is a model expansion franchise, but they weren't successful at all until the very late 90s-early 2000s either. The more recent expansionees in Atlanta and Nashville are still awful entering their fifth seasons. Columbus is following in their footsteps. Minnesota was miserable before this season, and it's still up in the air if they can do it again next year--most everyone agrees they didn't do it this year based on talent, so much as a strong defensive system, and a roster of mostly throw-aways with skills in spots that totally bought into the team concept. In baseball, my Angels did much the same last year, and look where they are now? Barely above .500 and playing very inconsistently.

My point is that history shows the expansion hangover can last a long, long time. And there is very little a team can do about it. They just have to slug their way through it and see if they can make it to the other side in good shape.

You say the Ducks surrounded Kariya with a bad team the past ten years. I say three things to that. 1) They were an expansion team. 2) They joined the league in the era of spiralling player salaries, but without a strong financial base (similar to most teams in the NHL not based in Denver, Detroit, Dallas, New York, etc.). 3) Not all of those teams were as bad as you think.

I have shown that often the first five years of an expansion team's existence can be squat, and I think this is exacerbated by the current economic clime of the NHL, as set up by the CBA agreed to in '94. In the Ducks' fourth year, they made the playoffs. And went to the second round. They also made it in 1999. And then we have this past season, an obvious huge success.

So let's take the Ducks' first ten years and take a look at them. 93-94 to 95-96 (the first three years) are obvious expansion losers. Very little the Ducks can do about it. They have a plan and they are following it. In 96-97, that plan gets them to the playoffs, where they have strong success. In 1997-98, Kariya holds out for two-and-a-half months, plays for about a month-and-a-half, then has the Suter hit shelve him for the rest of the year. He was the sole reason the Ducks didn't build on '96-97. I don't think it's fair to pin that season on the Ducks, so much as on Kariya himself. This is also the first year they start paying Kariya $10 M per year, setting up what would eventually become a huge financial weight on the team roster and its ability to make moves.

In 98-99, they returned to the playoffs. Plan is back on track.

Finally free agency is beginning to come up on them and the expansion fan-love honeymoon is coming to an end. The Ducks are now finding out more harshly than ever before that the economics in hockey are terrible and getting worse and they are near the bottom of the financial totem pole--and that's while carrying one of the top five paid players in the league on their roster.

Nevertheless, they only miss the playoffs in 99-00 because of a final day tie-breaker.

They were still set to give it another go in 2000-01 when injuries struck their team hard. Kariya missed a lot of time. Hebert was breaking down from age. Selanne missed a little time. Rucchin missed almost the entire season with a concussion. And the Ducks didn't have the finances to replace them. They decided to start a quick rebuilding project and shipped Selanne to the Sharks. I still don't think they needed to do that (his contract wasn't up for another season), but that was one of the few mistakes I feel they have really made, given their financial situation. And it could be argued it wasn't so bad after all, because Selanne didn't really light it up with the Sharks, and we turned around and traded Friesen to the Devils for Sykora.

So the 00-01 season ended badly, with no Selanne, and a new quick rebulding plan in place. I would argue at this point, with Kariya's huge contract, few additional monies coming into the club--thanks mostly to the NHL's horrible economics, and dwindling interest at the arena, that there was little else they could do at this point, but continue with the rebuild plan. They suffered year two (or technically, year one-and-a-half) of the rebuild in 01-02, again finishing in last.

But now the pieces are in place. The Ducks make some exciting moves in the offseason, get Oates and Sykora, introduce a new coach with a system that plays into their strengths and start up a new season. And what do you know--they are good from the get-go. And they get better. Many supposed NHL fans here continue to think the Ducks came out of nowhere in the playoffs. But the fact of the matter is they were one of the NHL's best second-half teams, ranking among big name clubs like, yes, Colorado.

Anyone watching the team this season knew they were coming into their own. I even said it before the series with Detroit, telling all of you to not be surprised if the Ducks are very competitive with the Wings. I also told you all at the beginning of the season that the Ducks were for real and that Jiggy was a star in the making. Few of you believed, but then few of you were actually watching the Ducks. Some of the comments here makes me think that even after the Cup run, a few of you still have no clue about the Ducks.

So what's the final tally? Three loser unavoidable expansion years (and two less than most). Three playoff years, including a Cup final visit. Two years lost to injury, one of which can almost be solely placed at the feet of Paul Kariya in the blame department. One year of mediocrity, where they missed out on the playoffs with a tiebreaker, and were within five points of 4th (yes, 4th!) in the conference and had been as high as fifth in the conference in March of that year. One year completely given over to a rebuild (01-02). IMO, the Ducks did very well in maximizing their assets to get what they could for and from their rosters.

I would challenge any of you to do as good a job as the Ducks have done in surrounding Kariya with talent, while also having to toe a low bottom line in a league with economics designeds to make you fail.

This is the team that picked a backup goalie from the Blues and turned him into one of the top 7-8 goalies in the league for most of the 90s. This is the team that signed a little-known free agent named Rucchin from Canadian college, and turned him into one of the better two-way forwards in the league. This is the team that shipped away two prospects for one of the most thrilling goal scorers in the last ten years in Teemu Selanne--one prospect has done virtually nothing (Kilger), and Tverdosky would return to the Ducks to be used in the Sykora trade (and for much less than they gave him away for). This is the team that knew well enough to sign good offensive defensman like Dmitri Mironov and Fredric Olausson (the first time), and kept them as long as their finances would last. And they later brought Olausson back. This is the team that hired Ron Wilson to be their first coach, one of the more respected coaches in the NHL (now, post-Ducks hire). This is the team that traded Selanne for the piece of the puzzle that was eventually turned into Sykora, now the Ducks' leading returning offensive player. This is the team that traded lightweight Cullen for Ozolinsh this past season. This team traded draft picks for Niedermayer and Thomas, key Cup playoff contributors. This is the team that got Marty McInnis from the Hawks for almost nothing and then watched him become a solid second-line winger for two seasons with the Ducks. This is the team that traded draft picks for Jean-Sebastian Giguere, and signed Kieth Carney to a little-reported deal in the offseason two years ago. This is the team that has developed solid NHL players like LeClerc, MacDonald, Salei, Vishnevsky and Havelid, and that has some top up-and-coming talent in Chistov, Smirnov, Lupul, Sauer, and Bryzgalov.

I'm sorry, but the supposition that Kariya has been surrounded by less talent than the Ducks could really have afforded to put around him is just plain false. I think there are few teams in the NHL (and especially among the expansion teams) that have used their minimal assets better than the Ducks.

And Kariya just left the best team the Ducks ever put on the ice--and until proven otherwise in next year's playoffs, still ahead of the Avs.

CR

Old 07-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #1337
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Myth #3

3) That Kariya doesn't owe the Ducks anything.

Dead wrong.

Kariya and the Ducks were once part of a symbiotic relationship. The Ducks paid Kariya well and made him their star, their marquee player. They put his face on their franchise.

Paul returned the favor by being one of the most excitingt young players in the NHL, capable of dazzling moves and passes on the ice, and an amazing scoring touch.

For the first few years, this was an even deal. Each side got exactly what they were paying for. At that point, neither the Ducks nor Kariya owed each other anymore than they were getting, and it was a nice workup of a deal.

But then the NHL's economics started to work its way in, and Kariya's market value shot up. The Ducks were amenable and paid him his market value. At the same time, his production on the ice slipped. He no longer made the dazzling plays nearly as often as he once did. And he got worse and worse, even as his pay stayed the same and was among the top five salaries in the NHL. He no longer seemed to inspire his teammates like he once did. From 98-99 to last season, Kariya's point totals dropped every year--from 101 to 86 to 67 to 57. Finally this year he went back up to 81, which is still only his fifth best season points-wise, and also proving he didn't "need" Selanne to succeed. From 99-00 until this past season (and, yes, including this "resurgent" season), his goal totals dropped from 42 to 33 to 32 to 25 this past season.

Yes, the '97-98 holdout was acrimonious on both sides, but in the end, Kariya got his money, and any hurt feelings were ancient history. Every year since, the Ducks have always willingly re-upped him at $10 M, no matter what he produced on the ice. Kariya hadn't held out since--he never had to. The Ducks didn't ask him to take a lower salary and always kept him well paid.

And at the same time, even as his production on the ice dropped, interest in him remained high. Kariya trade rumors have been flying every offseason and trading deadline since 1999. And you know the Ducks could have and would have gotten a lot for him. Despite this, after every serious round of trading, he remained a Duck. Yes, I think the Ducks maximized their assets and decision-making fairly well, but one area where perhaps they could have done more was indeed in trading Kariya, who would have likely fetched far more than any one player could provide by himself (in the longterm). But they didn't do it. In this, they showed him loyalty. They showed him that they were committed to him, even as his salary seriously inhibited their ability to improve the team, and his performance on the ice was continuing to fall.

They kept this up for five seasons, until this year, where they gave him a chance at the Stanley Cup. And finally hockey's economics were catching up. They could no longer continue to pay him what he had been getting, and were finally forced to admit he wasn't providing as much as he was being paid for either. So they asked him if he would consider a lower offer. He and his agent flatly said no.

The Ducks had a choice: keep paying Kariya $10+ M per year, but not improve the team at all, and maybe even get worse elsewhere, as well as meaning no way they could bring back Kariya's best friend and buddy Selanne; or they could risk letting him test the market, but with the probably bonus that they could sign him for less once he saw what the market was at, and bring in his friend Teemu anyway. A gamble, yes, but what real choice did they have? According to the economics, they could either pay him and likely return the team to medicrity as a result, or they could gamble that he would show them the same loyalty they showed him, make him happy by signing Selanne while signing him for less, and improving a team that seemed on the verge of becoming a contender, with the losing end of the gamble being they could lose him. I don't see how they really had a choice.

They counted on Paul's loyalty to them, to his character, and his loyalty to the devoted fans that flooded the Pond's seats with Kariya jerseys, and practically worshipped the ground he walked on. They counted on him seeing how he had become the taker in the realtionship, and now was a chance to give back for the betterment of the whole team, and a very real chance of bringing a Cup to Anaheim.

And they counted on his most oft-quoted desire in recent years: to sip from the Cup in a Mighty Ducks uniform.

Unfortunately, they and we all overestimated him.

Does Kariya still owe the Ducks? Damn right he does.

CR

Old 07-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #1338
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Myth #4

4) That Kariya is worth $10 M a year.

I covered some of this in the last post, but it's worth restating: his number s have been dropping sharply for years now. Anyone watching the Ducks knows he doesn't produce nearly as many dazzling plays as he used to. And as was pointed out by someone else here, he remains a smaller player with little ability to get physical, and next to no defensive ability (although he was always game to try...he just isn't a two-way player, though).

It starts right off with this season. As mentioned, Kariya was the fourth highest paid player in the NHL. That's player--all positions.

And yet he was just 13th in scoring, with just 25 goals. And scoring is just the provenance of forwards for the most part--in that respect he wasn't even being rated against defenders and goalkeepers, who are on the salary lists, if not many scoring lists.

And this was his best season since 1999-2000?

He made quite a bit more than Naslund, Thornton, Hejduk, Bertuzzi, Demitra, Murray and Palffy, all of whom scored more than he did. I doubt you'll find many first or second line forwards in this league who get paid more per point than Kariya did.

And this doesn't even talk about the 67 and 57 point scoring seasons from the two previous years, or his flaws on the ice in other areas of the game, or the fall in quality of his play that is evident to anyone watching him now who was familiar with his play in 98-99.

Yes, Kariya was the best offensive talent on the Ducks. He clearly outpaced the rest of the teams forwards. But then, none of them are being paid $10 M per year either. You could buy more than three Rucchins for one Kariya in salary value, and just one Rucchin gets you 58 points this year, strong two-way play, and your team's leading playoff goalscorer. Or you could have two Sykora's--he of the 59 points and team-leading 34 goals. Admittedly, he is just onto his pay day right now, but Jiggy could have been paid eleven times over for what Kariya got, and it could be very easily argued he was this team's most important player.

Kariya's "playoff performances" were mentioned by one of you. All those great playoff performances. Are you sure? 12 points in 21 games. The only goals of note was the overtime winner against the Wings in Game 1, and that in-your-face goal to Scott Stevens and the Devils in Game 6. And that last goal wasn't even critical to the game score, as the Ducks were winning anyway (although it's value as a huge "moment" in the Stanley Cup playoffs this year can't be overstated). Oates and Sykora both had more points than Kariya in the playoffs, and Sykora scored two overtime game-winners. Kariya didn't even score in the Finals until Game 6, and was abig zero in Game 7, too (although admittedly, so were his teammates).

One of you even said that Kariya's playoff performances were the only ones of note for the Ducks. You have to be kidding me? Did you notice the Conn Smythe winner, just to throw out one obvious example whcih shows just how patently ridiculous that statement is.

This is not a $10 M player, one of the very best in the league. This is a good offensive player who can be an offensive team leader, but doesn't provide much else. His actual value right now is probably $7-$8 M tops, and I think $8 M is pushing it.

CR

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-04-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #1339
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Myth #5

5) That Kariya is blameless in this past few days' fiasco, or that he is only doing what anyone would, or that he is coming out a saint for any reason in all this.

Blameless? Hardly.

I have laid out how it was reasonable for the Ducks to ask him to agree to a lower salary offer this year. It is clear that he isn't performing like a $10 M player right now, and hasn't for some time.

On top of that, they tell him the reason they want him to take the cut is not because of his drop in his performance, so much as because they want to use the money saved to bring back his best friend Teemu Selanne to be his linemate again. Teemu has said he wants to return to Anaheim and play with Kariya again. Kariya had his best season with Teemu on the same line. Heck, even Rucchin was still a Duck. It was pitcure perfect--you couldn't write a better script. All that was needed was for Kariya to take a pay cut to allow it happen, and by pay cut here, we're still taking at least $6 M per year--not $10 M, but that's not chump change in the NHL either.

But he and his agent say no. They refuse to accept less. They won't meet the team halfway, and work to try and improve the entire team, which seems so close to actually achieving that long-desired Cup. And this is just throwing out the numbers here--this doesn't even touch the historic ties between Kariya and the Ducks, between Kariya and the fans. This is how he rewarded the Ducks and their faith in him?

You argue that any player would have done what he did, and yet he is being lauded for not being greedy. Well, I think that most "any player" will generally go for the most money, more often than not. Kariya did not go for most money--at least not for this season. The Ducks offered more to him and Selanne than the Avs. Most players would take the higher offer. So Kariya isn't necessarily doing what most players would do.

Supposedly, he went to win a Cup, which is seen as a good reason to switch teams. Except of course that the team he is leaving went to the Cup Finals, and the team he is going to didn't make it out of the first round, and they lost their Hall of Fame goalie and one of their best defensmen as well. Can you say Pittsburgh Penguins, circa mid-90s? Okay, they'll be better than that defensively. But do we really know how Aebischer is going to hold up? Or how DeVries will be replaced?

IMO, there were more questions going into the offseason about the Avs than there were about the Ducks. No denying that that is some impressive offensive talent the Avs have now, but the Avs must be telling Kariya and Selanne a whole lot more than is clear to the rest of us about how they are going to fix their potential defensive problems for them to so easily shrug aside not only the Ducks' better playoff performance, but loyalty issues, more money, and the Ducks' own expressed willingness to make the return of the Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne line happen.

So the goal of winning a Cup may sound good, but I'm not sure yet the Avs were even the best choice for that, given recent history, and that doesn't even address teams like the Wings and Stars or a myriad of strong teams in the East.

And in the end it might come down to greed after all, because Kariya signed for a low enough salary to return to unresitricted free agency next year (not the Avs will let it happen--can't wait for the $10 M offers to both Selanne and Kariya, probably on June 30, 2004). So we're back to the money again--despite the fact that the Ducks have always shown their willingness to pay Kariya handsomely for commensurate on-ice performances--to the tune of $50+ M in the past five seasons.

So either Kariya wants to go for a Cup (and made a questionable decision in doing so), or he's greedy (not a quality being assigned to him by you guys, I notice).

The thing that gets me most, though, is how he said one thing, but did another.

Some examples of Kariya's mindset and words, and some other Ducks' quotes:

Mike Babcock, Thursday: "I always thought he wanted to win a Stanley Cup with the Mighty Ducks. That's what he always said."

Bryan Murray, Thursday: "We had a good relationship and had many conversations since the end of the playoffs--although it hasn't been very long--about being able to do some things to make the hockey club better for next season. Paul seemed to be thinking that way, too."

Murray, Thursday: "I don't understand it totally because we're the team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals. We're the team that seems to have a group of young players ready to compete...I thought that we had convinced everyone that we were a good hockey club as well [as the Avalanche], that we had a good core of players who now know what it takes to get it done, that we have a good young coach. I thought that we had gotten that image across...We're left thinking that we're the Anaheim of old, not the team that made the Finals."

From an Orange County Register column, Thursday: Murray said he was "disappointed" over Kariya's quick decision. He did not use the word "misled" but seemed to want to. He said Kariya originally seemed to understand why the Ducks wanted to rearrange his salary. "He said we'd talk," Murray said. Instead, Kariya and Selanne, in tandem, headed for the mountains.

I'm sorry, but I'm having real trouble looking at Kariya as a real good guy in all this.

CR

Old 07-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #1340
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Myth #6

6) That the Ducks' decisions of the past few days are more indicative of bad management than a serious attempt at balancing financial Hell and keeping together and improving a Cup finalist.

I have written more than enough tonight. I think you can find the answer to this qeustion in parts throughout the previous five posts.

Basically, the Ducks had reached a breaking point where they could no longer improve the team and pay Kariya $10 M per year. That's why the decision to let him go unrestricted happened.

And much to their disappointment, it turns out they and we all misjudged Kariya.

CR

Old 07-04-2003, 11:11 PM   #1341
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
[i]

Basically, the Ducks had reached a breaking point where they could no longer improve the team and pay Kariya $10 M per year. That's why the decision to let him go unrestricted happened.

CR [/b]

They could no longer improve the team by paying Kariya 10 mil..but did they not to irrepairable harm by NOT signing him?

Old 07-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #1342
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was a gamble, bbor. Just like I said. But when presented with the choices, the Ducks really didn't have a choice.

Kariya and his agent refused to accept a lesser deal. It was either pay him the qualifying offer for far more than he is worth and that the team could pay anymore for someone giving reduced quality on the ice, or let him go free, risking he might jump to another team, but also seeing that the team could be immensely improved if the gamble worked.

Ducks management quotes seem to indicate that Kariya expressed he knew why the Ducks were planning what they were planning, and that they were on the same page with respect to how to improve the team. But they hadn't reached a middle ground on a salary by the time the June 30 deadline was coming up. So a decision needed to be made. Once again, the Ducks gave Kariya plenty of notice of what they would likely have to do, and seemed to be prepared for it.

The understanding seemed to be that they would work together to bring Selanne into the fold and improve the team that way. Instead, Kariya took his unresitricted free agency, worked out a deal with Selanne and Baizley and approached the Avs. The Avs didn't even come to Kariya and Selanne--they approached the Avs.

I certainly understand Murray hinting he might have been "misled". If I took what I heard at face value, and every reason pointed to Kariya wanting to stay with the team, I would make the same decision he did.

Basically, nothing in the previous days gave the Ducks management any reason to think Kariya would take the opportunity to bolt. Indeed, the manner in which the Avs were approached and the quickness of the decision leads me to believe this might have been in the works on the players' end for some time.

Chief Rum

Old 07-04-2003, 11:34 PM   #1343
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

dola,

Also, if the Ducks now use that $10 M in other ways that collectively produce more than vastly overpaying Kariya $10 M, the entire premise of your question is pretty much shot. You assume the Ducks will do nothing with that money. I disagree.

CR

Old 07-04-2003, 11:48 PM   #1344
bbor
Pro Starter

I have no doubt that the Ducks had no choice...who could have forseen what happened with the Avs.

I am interested to see what they will do with this 10 mil.Bryan Murray had better make a bit of a splash with this cash or else things in Duckland could go down hill very fast.

Old 07-04-2003, 11:50 PM   #1345
Karim
College Starter

Although I'm not a fan of the Ducks, I'm thinking this might be a blessing in disguise.

Kariya is clearly not worth $10 million and it could be argued that he hasn't been worth that money any time post-Suter.

The Ducks have one of the best young coaches in Mike Babcock, a solid general manager in Brian Murray, and perhaps the best young goaltender in the NHL since Martin Brodeur who will replace Kariya as the face of the franchise.

The Ducks played into a system that got them to the Stanley Cup finals. Kariya's impact in such a system was negligible. He isn't physical, aggresive, particularly adept defensively and clearly disappears in tight checking. The $10 million saved can better be spent on Giguere and finding a faceoff replacement for Adam Oates, who had a greater impact in the playoffs than Kariya.

With Granato letting the inmates run the asylum, legitimate questions regarding Aebisher or Sauve, injuries and intangibles, I wouldn't say Denver is a lock for the Stanley Cup.

I can imagine what Chief is feeling. The Flames organization was pronounced dead upon the departure of Fleury and its existence will be called into question once a decision has to be made regarding Iginla. Edmonton has had to deal with this since the departure of Gretsky and have been repeatedly raped over the years. It will take years for Pittsburgh to get over the effects of the current financial climate.

Unfortunately, I think it is unrealistic to expect loyalty from any player in any sport, regardless how many millions an organization has handed over.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:25 AM   #1346
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Chief,

While I don't agree with everything you've said here, it was a pleasure reading your posts. Very well done, sir.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:06 AM   #1347
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Interesting take from Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post on the Kariya deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bettman must deny Avs' steal of a deal

by Mark Kiszla

This was a Christmas-in-July sale that would make Santa Claus blush with shame. The outrageous gift given the Avalanche by superstars Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne really is too good to be true.

Is it fair to 29 other NHL franchises that Kariya not only accepted the largest paycut in league history, but also conspired to bring perennial all-star Selanne with him to Colorado?

Ho, ho, ho.

The NHL should stop the madness, strike down these two cockamamie contracts and call the whole thing off.

Of course, that would require the league to display leadership from the office of its commissioner, who is all big leather chair, no gumption.

The Avalanche is lucky Gary Bettman has the spine of an amoeba. For any commissioner who really cared about the competitive balance of his sport would invalidate these ridiculous contracts as fast as Kariya and Selanne autographed them.

"We talked about what was the best situation for us hockey-wise, taking out everything else, and both us said 'Colorado' simultaneously," Kariya reported. He signed for a $1.2 million salary that is an insult to his talent. Add Selanne at $5.8 million, and Avs owner Stan Kroenke picked up Saks Fifth Avenue merchandise at Wal-Mart prices.

Their scheme was super for Colorado. It was horrible for hockey.

For Kariya and Selanne to negotiate low-ball contracts to join one of the league's premier franchises might be nobody's business but their own. When two players with a stunning 736 NHL goals between them begin dickering with the competitive nature of the league, however, then it becomes serious business that should be of grave concern to anybody who cares about hockey.

If NHLPA boss Bob Goodenow is not screaming and shaking an angry fist about Kariya accepting a salary at 10 percent of his true market value, then every pro player should quit the union and go back to playing pond hockey for a case of Molson per month.

If every team with championship aspirations from Vancouver to New Jersey is not protesting this smelly deal that brought Kariya and Selanne wrapped up in a neat bow to Denver, then they might as well keep their sticks in storage, hand the 2004 Stanley Cup to the Avalanche right now and get on with the impending labor war.

While leading Anaheim to the championship round in the feel-good story of the playoffs, Kariya unselfishly played mind-numbing, defensive-oriented hockey and was handsomely rewarded with a $10 million salary. To get more, he settled for far less.

When Anaheim stupidly declined to prevent Kariya from hitting the free- agent market, the 28-year-old forward shook the very foundation of the league, with a rattling body check not thought possible from a 5-foot-10, 176-pound forward who sometimes appears fragile on the ice.

For a shot at winning the Cup, he decided to join Selanne and Joe Sakic on an absurdly talented No. 2 scoring line in Colorado, all at a price less than the team is willing to pay journeyman Mike Keane. That is ludicrous.

While Kariya hears praise for embracing winning over money, it should not be forgotten that he cut the negotiating strength of fellow NHL free agents like a wicked slash to the knees. While accepting a one-year contract does assume risk of injury, especially for a veteran with a nasty history of concussions, Kariya is gambling purely in his self-interest. He now has gained the right to become an unrestricted free agent in 2004, long before his 31st birthday, with blatant disregard for the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement.

Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix certainly earned the respect of Kariya and Selanne by building a franchise that has won nine consecutive division titles and two league championships. Without a long record of proven success, Colorado might not be any more attractive than Anaheim, where Selanne and Kariya scored big together in the late 1990s.

Nevertheless, for Lacroix to insist "We were astounded" by the interest of two impact players conveniently skirts the painfully obvious and extremely relevant fact that agent Don Baizley not only represents Kariya and Selanne, but also advises Avalanche mainstays Sakic and Peter Forsberg. It seems naive to believe that such a radical, unprecedented deal could have been closed in a mere 72 hours, if not for a longstanding relationship between Baizley and Lacroix.

Would a game with true major- league standing in the United States have allowed such a controversial transaction without more cries of foul play? Where is the indignation? Are all of Canada's true guardians of hockey off fishing on some deep-woods lake with Don Cherry? Had the New York Yankees stolen ace pitcher Pedro Martinez from the Boston Red Sox at a 90 percent discount, you can bet some senator from Massachusetts would be demanding a Congressional inquiry.

Of course, it is possible the NHL does not care two superstars sold the soul of the championship race to the lowest bidder. Why? The looming labor Armageddon is all about creating a drag on payroll inflation, and by working for Colorado for $1.2 million, Kariya just trimmed the average salary across the entire league by more than $10,000 all by himself.

But when the NHL turned its salary structure into a joke whose punch line was the hilarious lack of zeroes and commas in Kariya's new contract, where was Bettman? Was the NHL commissioner out buying marshmallows to roast at his Fourth of July picnic, while hockey's competitive balance went up in smoke?

No sport that takes itself seriously would let the Avalanche skate on this deal.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:48 AM   #1348
Karim
College Starter

An interesting thought but how does the league decide when:

a) a player is not taking money commensurate with his skill level and;

b) when such a signing affects the competitive balance of the league.

The place to address such issues is in the next CBA, not now in having the deal nullified by Bettman's infinite wisdom.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:04 PM   #1349
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Interesting article. I can see both sides, and I lean toward the players right to do whatever the fudge he wants with his time and money. But I'll bet Kariya hasn't made any friends, except some Avs players who already have big contracts.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:47 AM   #1350
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Sad news....

Quote:
MOSCOW (Reuters) - New York Rangers (news) Russian center Roman Lyashenko has been found dead in his hotel room while vacationing in Turkey, ice hockey officials said Monday.

He was 24.

"He was on holiday in Turkey with his mother and sister," Yuri Lukin, general manager of Russian champions Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, Lyashenko's former club, told Reuters.

"On Sunday morning, they opened his room and found him dead. The cause of his death has not yet been established."

Lyashenko joined the Dallas Stars (news) of the National Hockey League (NHL) in 1999 after he captained the Russians to the gold medal at the world junior championships earlier that year.

He was a regular player with Dallas in his first two seasons, but saw limited action after being dealt to the Rangers in 2001. Regarded as a good two-way forward, Lyashenko only played two games last season and 15 the year before.

Lyashenko's death is the latest tragedy to hit Russian ice hockey this year.

Lyashenko's former team mate Lokomotiv Yaroslav forward Vladimir Antipov was injured and his wife died in a car crash last month.

In May, Igor Grigorenko, 20, the Detroit Red Wings (news)' first pick in the 2001 NHL entry draft and another of Lyashenko's former team mates, broke his leg in two places and suffered concussion in a car crash in his home town of Togliatti.

In January, Lokomotiv coach Alexei Traseukh was shot dead in his apartment in Yaroslavl.

He was a nice player and a great kid.