Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #1301
mckerney
Coordinator

Played a 6 player game of Game of Thrones for the first time and have to say it is much better when you have a full game. It was the first time we'd played where the game went to the end of the tenth turn and 5 of the 6 players were in position to have a chance to win on the final turn. Previous games had been fun but usually we would have one or two people running away with the lead and have it end by turn 7.

I thought I was finished on turn 8 so on turn 9 I decided to just get revenge on the Starks who had caused most of my losses and took Winterfell after he left it undefended. I got a bit lucky since he could have taken out all my ships I had to use to transport my troops to Winterfell, but thankfully I managed to make him think I was after one of his castles and then I was able to wreck his 4 stack of ships while attacking. It left me with only though it left me with only 2 victory points since I had to abandon a castle to take it while the leader had 5 at the start of turn 10. Thankfully I was able to take back the castle I had abandoned while no one else was able to move towards it and was also lucky enough to take a stronghold from the leader who tried and failed to take 3 different castles on the final turn leaving a 4 way tie with 4 victory points which I then won by having 3 strongholds.

Love when a 4 hour game can come down to the last 5 minutes, something that had unfortunately never happened when we played with 4 or 5 people.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #1302
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So back for Christmas, my wife bought me a bunch of different games (basically she got Mage Knight + a couple dirt cheap games in a bundle).

We tried one of them last night. Hidden Conflict.

I have a one word review for Hidden Conflict: Horrid.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #1303
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
You'll have to let me know what you think of Samurai. I'm a big fan of older Knezia games (Ra, Through the Desert) and I've had my eye on that for a while

Samurai is awesome - although I have to admit I've only ever played the iOS version of it (I'd recommend that heartily).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1304
mckerney
Coordinator

Have only played the board game and agree Samurai is great.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #1305
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Had my game night and knew it was going to be a mighty low turn out as people kept mentioning having plans and one person posted the day of being in Traverse City in the hospital with his grandmother. Well, nobody showed up, no room was unlocked, and driving home I found out I had a flat tire. Today I find out the power point slides announcing when our next game night is saying it is Dec. 22nd, which isn't even a Friday. I swear I'm never leading anything else ever again.

Last edited by Matthean : 04-14-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #1306
tarcone
Coordinator

GoT should only be played with 6.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #1307
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think people on BGG say it is 5-6, but it does seem to benefit from having the most play. It is another reason I don't get it.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #1308
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

5 isn't bad for GoT. 4 or fewer and it suffers from major balance issues.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #1309
Autumn
Head Coach

Just had a game night and played Race for the Galaxy and Notre Dame, two of my favorites. Race is incredibly hard to figure out the first itme - the icons on the cards are nuts. but once you crack it I find it's a ton of fun with a lot of replay value. Notre Dame I've only played a few times but I really enjoy it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #1310
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

We did a game night to celebrate my B-day yesterday. Mainly to get Eclipse on the table again. 5 hours for a six player game...a bit longer than expected. Plus two of us were effectively out at the three hour mark. I'm not good at this game, but I love it. I can score well, but if anything goes wrong, I really struggle.

We did get Love letter on the table. It is a great quick filler that is very accessible, and fun. there are eight different cards in the game, each with a different power/rule as well as a numeric value. Some of the powers knock another player out of the game if used properly, others just grant you a temporary advantage. Anyone left in play after drawing through the 16 card deck compares cards, and the player with the highest ranked card wins the round. You play until someone wins a set number of rounds. We player to four with four players. It was quite a bit of fun, and will be hitting the table again.

Also picked up Fleet and played it. We butchered the rules a bit, but I think it has potential. A little euro that plays quickly, and seems to offer some depth of play and strategy. I'm looking forward to trying it again.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1311
cschex
High School Varsity

Really enjoyed playing Love Letter with my wife and 6 yr old daughter. Super quick to pick up but a lot of fun. Of course my daughter won, she schools me at all cards games (wins about 2/3rds of the time at Jaipur).

I'm really interested in getting Eclipse to the table as I picked it up on clearance at B & N last week for 35 bucks after half off and another 30% off coupon.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1312
tarcone
Coordinator

Picked up Empires of the Void. I have Eclipse, but it is a little to euro for me. Im hoping that this game scratches my sci-fi game itch a little better. Looks like a really fun game with war and politics.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #1313
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I got Escape! The Curse of the Temple.
My family played it several times. Very intense and fun. My daughters enjoyed as did my wife. I may get some good play out of this one.

It is a good ten minutes of chaotic fun.

Just ordered Escape: The Curse of the Temple from Amazon. Looking forward to playing chaotic fun

How's it play solo?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #1314
tarcone
Coordinator

I havent played it solo. I imagine it will be very difficult. When you roll black masks that locks that die. You can borrow dice from other players if you are in the same room. So not having that will hurt badly.
There is a rule that allows having 3 gems on the side that will unlock your dice but you have to add it to the pile of gems to eliminate. Which would make it more difficult.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #1315
mckerney
Coordinator

Love this game.

Also excited that from the preview at the end it looks like next time H to the usky Husky is going to be on the show.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #1316
Danny
Head Coach

Resistance is easily one of my top 10 games. I own 4 copies at the moment.

Also, want to plug a fantastic looking (IMO) tactical fantasy dungeon crawl / minis game that is on kickstarter.

Myth
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #1317
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Resistance looks like a real fun party game... I love watching Table Top vids

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #1318
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Resistance is pretty awesome. Usually it takes people until the second or third mission of their first game to really get it, but once they do it's hard to put the game away.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #1319
Flasch186
Coordinator

First Table Top Vid Ive watched and wow, im impressed. thats some high quality shit there.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #1320
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

While all games are to a point, The Resistance seems to depend on what kind of group you are playing with more so than others.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #1321
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
While all games are to a point, The Resistance seems to depend on what kind of group you are playing with more so than others.

This is true, but I've had success with The Resistance with an incredibly diverse set of groups. Many people who aren't at all "gamers" love this game.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #1322
britrock88
Pro Starter

Hey, we play something like The Resistance here... over in the Werewolf forum!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #1323
Autumn
Head Coach

In fact ... there's a game in signups right now!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #1324
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm looking for a game to do with a largish crowd (10-12) of casual gamers this summer. We do an event every summer, a geek pentathlon, with lots of crazy shit like atlatls and samurai swords. But we alwyas end with a sit down sort of game. In the past we've played Munchkin, Formula D, a miniatures battle.

What would be a good board/card game for this purpose? We were actually thinking Resistance but we need to be able to rank the winners and assign points. Any thoughts? Something that wouldn't take a long time, and that tired casual gamers can play.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #1325
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm an OG Werewolf guy - my work makes my daily schedule completely unpredictable though, so I can't reliably commit anymore.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #1326
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm looking for a game to do with a largish crowd (10-12) of casual gamers this summer. We do an event every summer, a geek pentathlon, with lots of crazy shit like atlatls and samurai swords. But we alwyas end with a sit down sort of game. In the past we've played Munchkin, Formula D, a miniatures battle.

What would be a good board/card game for this purpose? We were actually thinking Resistance but we need to be able to rank the winners and assign points. Any thoughts? Something that wouldn't take a long time, and that tired casual gamers can play.

Small World might be a good option. Sort of Risk-lite, without the huge time commitment. The scoring system is straight points, so rankings are easy.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #1327
oykib
College Starter

I've been playing Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer on the iPhone. It's addictive as hell.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1328
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yes I love ascension on the iPhone better than the actual card game

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #1329
tarcone
Coordinator

Oh my.
I dont know if there are any Supremacy fans on the board. It was a game from the 80s. It is a war game that is more in depth than A&A. It had a lot of expansions. It was a great game that my group of that time enjoyed tremendously. We had several of the expansions. Today, you would pay around $120 for the game. It has been OOP for a long time. I have always wanted to purchase it, as my friend owned it and his wife made him throw it out a few years ago. I found that out when I called him to see if he still had it.
WELL, guess what I just found on KS? Supremacy 2020. A redesign of that great game. I am already drooling. Unfortunately it has a $70 price tag on KS. Im not sure if I can swing that right now. There are 28 days left. And I just dropped money on Empires of the Void. I have to play my cards right with my wife.
Here is the link if anyone is interested.

SUPREMACY 2020 –Superpower Game of Nuclear Brinksmanship by Command Post Games — Kickstarter

Last edited by tarcone : 04-19-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #1330
rockboy70
Mascot

Eclipse is out for iOS (ipad only)!
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #1331
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Our group has been into Suburbia lately. Interesting tile placement/city building game.

Tried San Juan. I like the mechanics, but it seems too tied to card-drawing luck.

At home, taught my son Citadels. That's a nice, light game - also a lot of luck, but really good for bluffing - especially in the two-player version.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #1332
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post

Never heard of this, what is it?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #1333
Danny
Head Coach

One of the most awesome board games ever
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #1334
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Never heard of this, what is it?

/tk

4X space themed board game with worker placement & resource management elements. And I agree with Danny
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #1335
tarcone
Coordinator

Eclipse is more of a euro type game with a little bit of battle. While a really fun game, not in my greatest category. Its a little too Euro for me.
But I will pick it up for the ipad. Good stuff.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1336
tarcone
Coordinator

I WON A GAME!
Over at BGG there is a guy who has a contest. I answered some questions he posed and put in the game I wanted and then re-entered every month I didnt win. Well, I finally won. I never win. But I cant say that now.

I won the game Dominant Species.

I am so excited.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #1337
cschex
High School Varsity

Awesome, tarcone. I've always wanted to play that but don't have a regular game group so i haven't acquired it. I hope you like it.

I snagged a copy of Tzolk'in the other day when it was half off MSRP on CSI. Can't wait to play that, I don't own a solid worker placement game
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #1338
Danny
Head Coach

Tzolkin is a really good one
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #1339
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I got to play Cards Against Humanity last night, that was a blast. I imagine it wears a little thin after a couple plays and the shock factor of some of the cards wears off, but it sure is fun the first time!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #1340
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post

Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #1341
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I bought Eclipse on Tuesday night, played the tutorial a bit. The next morning my 2 year old poured a glass of milk on our iPad.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #1342
Racer
College Benchwarmer

FWI, for anyone interested in picking up Alien Frontiers (it seems to be an extremely hard find?), it's back on kickstarter along with an expansion pack.

Alien Frontiers 4th Edition by Springboard ... Powered by Game Salute — Kickstarter
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #1343
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Just played two games of Sentinels of the Universe with a buddy( playing two heroes each). We beat Baron Blade pretty handily in the 1st game and got beat down by Rogue Rat in the 2nd. This is my favorite game ATM solo or with others...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #1344
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Just played two games of Sentinels of the Universe with a buddy( playing two heroes each). We beat Baron Blade pretty handily in the 1st game and got beat down by Rogue Rat in the 2nd. This is my favorite game ATM solo or with others...

I've played this a few different times as well of late. I, too, really enjoy it. Super fun game (pun not intended).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #1345
cschex
High School Varsity

Plague Rat is the hardest difficulty 2 villain, IMO, primarily because he hits hard and fast. Glad you're enjoying Sentinels, I've been pushing this pretty hard to friends and local gamers and everyone who has played really enjoys it
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #1346
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I played another game of Legendary. It just hasn't clicked for me despite the theme. Other people enjoy it, and I have yet to be on a team that has lost but every time I get the fewest points without hitting the main villain. I keep trying different things but nothing really works. I take out mostly mid level guys on the street and that's it. I feel like I'm building towards mediocrity and that's not that fun. This likely reconfirms me needing to play a character versus a mash up of a bunch of heroes.

I played four more games of The Resistance and while I liked my initial plays, it didn't quite stick. This time things clicked much better. I need to play with more people since 5-player games tend to reveal nothing in 2-player missions. Outside of that, this is moving up on my list.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #1347
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Plague Rat is the hardest difficulty 2 villain, IMO, primarily because he hits hard and fast. Glad you're enjoying Sentinels, I've been pushing this pretty hard to friends and local gamers and everyone who has played really enjoys it

And then you fight Iron Legacy. And wonder why you ever thought anyone else was hard.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #1348
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And then you fight Iron Legacy. And wonder why you ever thought anyone else was hard.

No kidding. Playing IL is for when I only have 20 minutes and want to play SotM, because it'll be over one way or the other in that time
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #1349
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

One of the two main gaming stores and likely the nicest one is closing down. I'm not sure what happens if the other goes. The Lansing Board Game group would have to seek out a new place to play. There's only a small store that might be able to pick up the slack. There might be another comic book shop, but I have never been there so I don't know if they are set up for it. It might get to the point where I offer to be a place to host games since I host game nights at my church.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1350
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I played another game of Legendary. It just hasn't clicked for me despite the theme. Other people enjoy it, and I have yet to be on a team that has lost but every time I get the fewest points without hitting the main villain. I keep trying different things but nothing really works. I take out mostly mid level guys on the street and that's it. I feel like I'm building towards mediocrity and that's not that fun. This likely reconfirms me needing to play a character versus a mash up of a bunch of heroes.

I played four more games of The Resistance and while I liked my initial plays, it didn't quite stick. This time things clicked much better. I need to play with more people since 5-player games tend to reveal nothing in 2-player missions. Outside of that, this is moving up on my list.

When it comes to Legendary, I've had the best success going with one hero and getting one or two of a second hero who has some synergy. If you diversify, you can't really make any of the heroes shine.