Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #1301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I look at VCU's resume prior the tournament and wonder how they got it. It just doesn't scream tournament team in any way, shape, or form.

See my comments about Butler's stats, they still don't look like it.

At least with VCU there's a little something to hang your hat on for a glimmer of explanation. Interesting too that turnover margin is the best stat for both teams.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-27-2011 at 07:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #1302
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
See my comments about Butler's stats, they still don't look like it.

At least with VCU there's a little something to hang your hat on for a glimmer of explanation. Interesting too that turnover margin is the best stat for both teams.

And that gives some indication - they rely on the turnovers with that full-court press of theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #1303
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Damn you, Kansas! The Final Four games should be actually pretty interesting.

Plus if UConn wins, I finish in the money in both my pools...so come on UConn
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #1304
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

From ESPN recap on KU/VCU game:

Quote:
"VCU guard Joey Rodriguez counted one of Kansas' vaunted Morris twins -- Marcus or Markieff -- as one of those many doubters. During a pregame captains meeting with officials, Rodriguez said one of the brothers offered him some parting words: "The run ends here.""

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #1305
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't have nearly the same faith in Butler this year as I did last. Mack has stepped up for them, but they really don't have a Gordon Hayward type this season. With them more than the other teams still alive, they seem the most likely to bomb out this weekend.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #1306
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
From ESPN recap on KU/VCU game:

"VCU guard Joey Rodriguez counted one of Kansas' vaunted Morris twins -- Marcus or Markieff -- as one of those many doubters. During a pregame captains meeting with officials, Rodriguez said one of the brothers offered him some parting words: "The run ends here.""

What an idiot.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-27-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #1307
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I really don't think the selection committee should be using the "eye test" either. The last thing I want to hear is the committee elevating some random team and justifying it by saying, "I saw them play a lot, they looked good."

Well, it wouldn't be a random team. I don't think it's a terrible thing if knowledgeable people get to a point, in cases where several resumes are bunched up and extremely similar, where they simply say, "I think team A is just better than team B. Team A is in." That's knowledgeable people, not people who watch ESPN for their info. The way ESPN uses the "eye test" is exactly as you describe it -- to dismiss mid-major contenders.

In any event, VCU has justified their bid, emphatically. I guess I admire the stubbornness of those still holding out, but the committee had a bunch of similar profiles and clearly they were correct in picking out VCU amongst them. Maybe it was just pure luck, but they nailed it. Not only did the Rams make the F4, but they had a hell of a tough path to get there. Most F4 teams beat three legitimate tourney teams to get there (since they usually get to start with 14-16 seeds). Some beat four. VCU beat FIVE. Amazing job by them.

I wonder how many people had "USC/VCU" in the F4 in their bracket even though they meant USC?
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #1308
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
The way ESPN uses the "eye test" is exactly as you describe it -- to dismiss mid-major contenders.

That was my point, if the committee starts using "style points", instead of just using resumes and what the teams accomplished, its going to be high profile teams in high profile games getting the style points. It will be a way to vaguely justify teams who don't necessarily belong there, but are good for TV or whatever. A mid-major with double digit losses got an at-large, I'd say there is a path for good teams to get to the tournament, there's no crisis here where need to start adding sentimental factors how a team looks. And the committee isn't selecting the "best teams", if that was the case, they should disregard any true upsets that occurred during the season. They're seeding and including teams based on how they performed during the season. VCU has proved that they're better than the other bubble teams at this point (they've probably proved they've been the best overall team in the tournament), but they definitely didn't prove during the season that they deserved to be in the tournament so much more than the other teams. The committee wasn't predicting which bubble team had the best chance of going on a run, they were awarding the team that had the best season. Whether they got it "right" or not, based only on the info they had pre-tournament, will always just be a matter of opinion. If the committee had gone insane and included Boston College, that would have been WRONG, even if BC made it to the final four. VCU, of course, deserved to be there way more than BC, but the point remains - the selection is independent of tournament performance, because it's not a prediction contest.

Last edited by molson : 03-28-2011 at 01:14 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #1309
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a really important stat. If you can add a few possesions a game to your side, it can be a nice swing. That's the one thing I've noticed about Butler and VCU in this tournament. They don't have shitty possesions and make the other team work hard on theirs. You just can't make mistakes against them, they are too well coached.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #1310
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I still don't get why there is so much hatred toward the RPI. It should be used much more in determining bids. It's the purest statistic for determining how a team did based on wins and losses.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #1311
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I still don't get why there is so much hatred toward the RPI. It should be used much more in determining bids. It's the purest statistic for determining how a team did based on wins and losses.

Its like continuing to use just Batting Average, Home Runs, and RBIs to determine the MVP in baseball. We have a lot better resources now so continuing to use outdated resources is a bit stubborn IMO. They have made some changes to the RPI to make it better but it still has major flaws.

Ken Pomeroy had a nice article on some of its flaws however I cant seem to locate it at the moment. Basically one team dropped a few spots for beating a team convincingly while another team got blown out against a decent team and moved up in the RPI. Some screwy things like that.

The Ratings Percentage Index Myth

Lets say a top ten team(Kansas) played Long Beach and won by 25 they would move up in the RPI. If Kansas play a team like Pepperdine and won by 100 they would plummet badly in the rankings. This is a very poor indicator of team strength in my opinion. It uses winning % as a primary indicator of how good/bad a team is and since scoring margin isnt important its just flawed. Many people believe the committee actually use Sagarin/Pomeroy but wont admit it because they dont want to endorse running up the score. RPI and seedings dont seem match around tournament time.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-28-2011 at 02:33 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #1312
wade moore
lolzcat

So cool to see (this was at 1:30 AM this morning):

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 03-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #1313
wade moore
lolzcat

Hah.. If you've ever been to San Antonio, this is extra awesome:

Quote:
Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1314
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Its like continuing to use just Batting Average, Home Runs, and RBIs to determine the MVP in baseball. We have a lot better resources now so continuing to use outdated resources is a bit stubborn IMO. They have made some changes to the RPI to make it better but it still has major flaws.

Ken Pomeroy had a nice article on some of its flaws however I cant seem to locate it at the moment. Basically one team dropped a few spots for beating a team convincingly while another team got blown out against a decent team and moved up in the RPI. Some screwy things like that.

Lets say a top ten team(Kansas) played Long Beach and won by 25 they would move up in the RPI. If Kansas play a team like Pepperdine and won by 100 they would plummet badly in the rankings. This is a very poor indicator of team strength in my opinion. It uses winning % as a primary indicator of how good/bad a team is and since scoring margin isnt important its just flawed. Many people believe the committee actually use Sagarin/Pomeroy but wont admit it because they dont want to endorse running up the score. RPI and seedings dont seem match around tournament time.

I agree with a lot of the RPI flaws (especially how you get huge credit for losing to a great team, as if that's some kind of accomplishment), but I hope the committee doesn't adopt something with that figures in point differential. That's something I'd rather not have to pay attention to all season (would teams keep their starters in longer and keep their foot on the gas to try to win by 15 instead of 8?) I prefer wins and losses in their simple form, as the definitive result of a game - not as just some soft threshold of point differential where you're either positive or negative. (i.e, where the difference between losing and winning by one point is just a difference of two points, as opposed to difference between a win and a loss.)

Last edited by molson : 03-28-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #1315
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Those other rating systems are great if you're trying to determine who the best team is. Or who might win a game between two teams. It's definitely more accurate in that regard.

But your baseball comparision is wrong. We aren't determing who the best player or the best team is. We are determining who had the best season. Who is the most deserving. When we determine that, it doesn't matter how much you win by or how efficient you are in doing so. A baseball analogy would be determining the playoff teams by run differential and not wins and losses. It would be ludicrous to do so.

I feel that determining postseason teams should be done by wins and losses. Not point differential, not efficiency stats. RPI is still the purest rating for determining that based on the competition you face. We aren't letting the most efficient team in a game cut down the nets next weekend, so why do you want to use that philosophy in determining who had the best regular seasons?

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #1316
wade moore
lolzcat

And, fwiw, Pomeroy's system did HORRIBLE at predicting the results of tournament games this year.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #1317
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And, fwiw, Pomeroy's system did HORRIBLE at predicting the results of tournament games this year.

To be fair, I'd be curious to see what systems actually did well this year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #1318
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
To be fair, I'd be curious to see what systems actually did well this year

SI

Sure, but I wanted to point that out before we got into a Pomeroy love-fest.

I tend to agree with RainMaker - we would introduce a lot of new problems if we used Pomeroy's rating rather than the RPI.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #1319
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We aren't letting the most efficient team in a game cut down the nets next weekend, so why do you want to use that philosophy in determining who had the best regular seasons?

According to the "experts" on CBS and ESPN the committees job is to find the best from the pool of at large teams. Their job is to not just reward teams on good seasons otherwise you would have seen Long Beach St and Iona in this years tournament. I cant think of a way that Pomeroy wouldnt do this better than the RPI.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #1320
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They all sucked. Sagarin, Pomeroy, and whoever else.

Pomeroy goes at lengths to explain that in a lose go home scenario crazy things will happen.

Pomeroy is generally within 1-2 points of the Vegas line which tells me his lines are either really sharp or the Vegas bookmakers use him as a resource.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-28-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #1321
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nate Silver chimes on VCU and odds, comparing VCU to the other low seeds to make the tournament: George Mason, LSU, Villanova and Penn in 1979.

In Tournament of Upsets, V.C.U. Has Overcome Longest Odds - NYTimes.com

Some guy in the comments then says this. I thought he'd have sympathizers:

Quote:
So Nate finally hits the nail on the head at the end of the post: when a 1:17,000 event occurs, are we seeing the inevitable manifestations of statistical chance or is something else going on?

I for one am pretty hard-pressed to believe that a team as unimpressive as VCU has legitimately knocked off Georgetown, Purdue, and Kansas (not to mention Florida St. and USC), all in the same tournament. Yes, I am really suggesting it. I think the fix is in. What's more likely in your mind: that a mediocre team from a weak conference pulls off five impressive (and three incomprehensibly impressive) upsets in a row? Or that the results of the tournament are being fixed? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Motive? Gambling - that universal scourge. If the bookmakers get to enough of the players and enough of the referees, the chances of a VCU going all the way are a lot better than 17,000 to 1.

I'm not saying that the fix is in for Butler, nor even really for VCU. Bookies don't get to pick and chose who they get to. They get to players and referees that gamble, have lost a lot of money, and owe someone big. The extent to which this happens and the teams to which it happens are necessarily somewhat random. There may be some big money to be made if VCU beats Georgetown, Purdue, and Kansas, but that can only happen if there are players on all those teams that can throw the game and/or the right referees officiating those games. So VCU's success has indeed been dependent upon a considerable amount of luck in that the right combination of players and referees got in trouble this year. But don't ask me to believe that VCU beat Georgetown, Purdue, and Kansas, straight up, in the same tournament in the same year. That's just too much for me to swallow.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1322
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow DC. Just wow.

And seriously, someone who watched those games says that?

Quote:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #1323
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
According to the "experts" on CBS and ESPN the committees job is to find the best from the pool of at large teams. Their job is to not just reward teams on good seasons otherwise you would have seen Long Beach St and Iona in this years tournament. I cant think of a way that Pomeroy wouldnt do this better than the RPI.
It's up to how you want teams selected. By wins and losses or by point margins. No other sport does it by point margins although I guess I understand why some people want that.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #1324
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's up to how you want teams selected. By wins and losses or by point margins. No other sport does it by point margins although I guess I understand why some people want that.

I just want the best teams. Wins and losses arent very important when teams like Boston are piling up wins against New Hampshire while UConn is losing to teams like Notre Dame and Pitt.

In pro sports the teams are more evenly matched and the schedules are similar to it works in that. I am not saying I want to see Kansas out there trying to win by 100 but winning big does usually say a team is strong. Most coaches are classy enough to call off the dogs anyway. Its not like Kansas is gaining much by winning by more as if they are good enough to win big, they are certainly good enough to make the tourny without needing to win big.

That came off sounding just wierd.

Im just saying that Ohio State or Kansas were winning big early in the season. Whether to not they were trying to or not it really wasnt going to effect if they made the tourny. I dont think piling it on to make the tourny is an objective most coaches use.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #1325
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

ESPN interviews one of the two dudes in the ESPN Tournament bracket contest who has the Final Four exactly right.

Essentially has to say "it was a lucky guess" throughout the whole interview. Sort of funny.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-28-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #1326
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just want the best teams. Wins and losses arent very important when teams like Boston are piling up wins against New Hampshire while UConn is losing to teams like Notre Dame and Pitt.
That's why you have RPI. It determines the value of those wins and losses based off the wins and losses of the other team and their opponents. Beating New Hampshire is not helping a team nearly as much as a win against Notre Dame.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #1327
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tennessee women about to go down to Notre Dame. So much for the vaunted UConn-Tennessee showdown, I guess.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #1328
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's why you have RPI. It determines the value of those wins and losses based off the wins and losses of the other team and their opponents. Beating New Hampshire is not helping a team nearly as much as a win against Notre Dame.

RPI is 25 percent team being graded, 50 percent opp schedule, 25 percent opponents opp schedule. You dont find that flawed?

Why if a team you beat 2 months ago that loses 2 months later effect your RPI 3 months later? Its flat out goofy IMO.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #1329
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
RPI is 25 percent team being graded, 50 percent opp schedule, 25 percent opponents opp schedule. You dont find that flawed?

Why if a team you beat 2 months ago that loses 2 months later effect your RPI 3 months later? Its flat out goofy IMO.
All the rating systems use data throughout the season. The opponent and opponents opponents are to determine strength of schedule.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #1330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That video Wade put up was great, good for VCU.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #1331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Tennessee women about to go down to Notre Dame. So much for the vaunted UConn-Tennessee showdown, I guess.

Freshman PG that has led the team nearly all year picked up her 2nd foul just before the first TV timeout. She was totally out of synch in the 2nd half, ND is one of the few teams that could match the Lady Vols depth & those two things combined to do them in. Well those things and an inexplicable unwillingness to pound the ball inside late in the first half when the Irish were suffering through foul trouble of their own.

A nice year but disappointing to see them fail to finish the drill in such lackluster fashion.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-28-2011 at 09:33 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #1332
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Wow DC. Just wow.

And seriously, someone who watched those games says that?

The conspiracy theory post is clearly absurd.

I would have thought a better conspiracy theory is television based. CBS/Turner trying to build a case for expansion and the relevance of the First Four (in the future, the first more than four) so you rig a few games and get your first four participant into the Final Four. FIRST FOUR to FINAL FOUR, see these games matter, WATCH THEM!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #1333
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I would have thought a better conspiracy theory is television based. CBS/Turner trying to build a case for expansion and the relevance of the First Four (in the future, the first more than four) so you rig a few games and get your first four participant into the Final Four. FIRST FOUR to FINAL FOUR, see these games matter, WATCH THEM!

That would be some serious dedication to the First Four concept, that they'd be willing to take a bath on the Final Four for the sake of the First Four. Which, by the way, logically should be the First Eight, but I realize people have a need for symmetry.

You'd think they'd have at least instructed the referees to will in giant gobs of three-pointers for USC or Clemson instead.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #1334
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
That would be some serious dedication to the First Four concept, that they'd be willing to take a bath on the Final Four for the sake of the First Four. Which, by the way, logically should be the First Eight, but I realize people have a need for symmetry.

You'd think they'd have at least instructed the referees to will in giant gobs of three-pointers for USC or Clemson instead.

Yeah, it's silly, but slightly more plausible, I think than some random bookie buying off several different teams on short notice.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #1335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, it's silly, but slightly more plausible, I think than some random bookie buying off several different teams on short notice.

Eh, the ad dollars in the early rounds are so minor relative to the later rounds that I'd buy a TV conspiracy toward the end rather than the beginning. And given the leaky nature of the media biz, the random bookie theory is at least as good IMO, it'd be too easy for the media moguls to get caught since so few of them know how to keep their mouths shut.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #1336
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Eh, the ad dollars in the early rounds are so minor relative to the later rounds that I'd buy a TV conspiracy toward the end rather than the beginning. And given the leaky nature of the media biz, the random bookie theory is at least as good IMO, it'd be too easy for the media moguls to get caught since so few of them know how to keep their mouths shut.

Fair point.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #1337
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Somewhere up the thread a bit I mentioned my surprise at seeing the younger male demos not holding up all that well with March Madness, at least not as well as I would have expected nor as well as the older demos.

Just saw some detailed ratings for Atlanta cable & now I understand why, it has nothing to do with who is playing or basketball or anything like that. It's apparently because they're busy watching VH1, Bravo, and HGTV.

I'll put a little more about this in one of the TV threads I guess, but only 2 NCAA games on cable made the local top 45 for M18-34 during the week of 3/14 - 3/20.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #1338
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'll put a little more about this in one of the TV threads I guess, but only 2 NCAA games on cable made the local top 45 for M18-34 during the week of 3/14 - 3/20.

This is shocking to me.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #1339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is shocking to me.

Caught me off guard too really, especially since what I was working on today has a target of W25-54 & I wasn't really looking for anything to do with basketball at the time. Just going from one tab to the next & it kind of caught my eye, to the point that I started looking to make sure what the date range was.

and sure enough I MADE A MISTAKE !!! in the other thread, which I'm about to go correct.

But there were only 2 games in the M18-34, just as I said here.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #1340
digamma
Torchbearer

How did the CBS only ratings compare to last year?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #1341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How did the CBS only ratings compare to last year?

Down for the 1st two rounds, as discussed previously. Weekend ratings were delayed until today (which probably cut down on conversation about them so far) but let's see what I can find ... {looking} ...

Sunday regional finals up 6% total viewers, flat in households vs last year
That's CBS vs CBS

I still haven't seen Saturday broken out, but there are several stories with references to how the "torrid ratings pace has cooled", so I'm left to assume that the year-to-year wasn't up considerably Thurs thru Sat.

Total tourney-to-date all networks versus CBS last year is up 11%.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #1342
Ragone
Pro Rookie

If anything.. the success of vcu will prompt the ncaa to add even more play in games for for 16 seeds and 11 seeds..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #1343
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
If anything.. the success of vcu will prompt the ncaa to add even more play in games for for 16 seeds and 11 seeds..

I'd so much rather see them limit the total number of teams from major conferences, something like you can't go more than 4 or maybe 6 deep. If you finish #7 in your conference, tough, do better to make it next year.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #1344
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'd so much rather see them limit the total number of teams from major conferences, something like you can't go more than 4 or maybe 6 deep. If you finish #7 in your conference, tough, do better to make it next year.

Can you imagine the weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Big East? The rest of the nation would drown in their tears...
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #1345
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Can you imagine the weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Big East? The rest of the nation would drown in their tears...

Yup, and the ACC in some past years sending like 7 of 11 teams and the like.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #1346
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

So penalize big conferences? Let lesser qualified teams into a tournament that determines your champion? Great idea!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #1347
Butter
Coordinator

If you can't finish in the top half of a freakin' conference, do you really belong in the tournament? No.

Great idea, never happen.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #1348
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
If you can't finish in the top half of a freakin' conference, do you really belong in the tournament? No.

If the purpose is to keep conferences small, it would make more sense to just put a cap on conference size. Otherwise, it's just an arbitrary designation. If the 7th best team in a 12 team conference is far better than the 2nd best team in a 10 team conference, they shouldn't be penalized because their conference has two more teams. That's just silly.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #1349
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Careful getting too reliant on pithy statements. This sort of thing gets tossed around in multiple sports, in multiple settings, and in pretty much every one of them, it's poorly placed. Every time we don't like some particular outcome of a well-intentioned system and we decide to place another veneer or "improvement" on the system, we tend to move away from an orderly assessment and toward a frankensteined mess.

Here's what I support: Pick your selection system in a reasonable way, and live with it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #1350
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Careful getting too reliant on pithy statements. This sort of thing gets tossed around in multiple sports, in multiple settings, and in pretty much every one of them, it's poorly placed. Every time we don't like some particular outcome of a well-intentioned system and we decide to place another veneer or "improvement" on the system, we tend to move away from an orderly assessment and toward a frankensteined mess.

Here's what I support: Pick your selection system in a reasonable way, and live with it.

So you don't think we should ban 8-8 teams from the NFL playoffs even if they played their way in under the existing rules? Ya, me neither.

This stuff comes up in college football too, in terms of teams losing conference and division tiebreakers but still getting into BCS games. "They couldn't even win their division". (Ya, that's because their division had a top 5 team in it).

College is different because the divisions aren't balanced like they are in the pros. The divisions and conferences are actually intentionally unbalanced. You can't treat them like the Eastern Conference Atlantic Division of the NBA.

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2011 at 11:12 AM.