Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #13801
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Now you know how liberals have felts for at least 15 years watch Fox News. Finally, we have some common ground to share:-)

I lean right on many topics, and yet I haven't felt I could trust anything Fox News says for maybe ten years now. It's sad what has happened to mainstream media, no matter what side it is pushing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #13802
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm talking about stuff like waving to the crowd before he gets on a helicopter to go to 911 service. Stuff like him simply dropping his umbrella for someone else to pick up as he boards Air Force One. Look, we all know he's a piece of shit, and certainly, there are incidents that should be documented that prove that, but blowing these things up as legit news stories is ridiculous, IMO. We don't need instant anti-Trump op-eds and trivial news stories for every single thing Trump does.

I just think it's having the opposite effect people want. It's making Trump supporters love him more, not less. It's no longer about any specific incident, it's simply another anti-Trump story that must not be true because all the MSM does is run anti-Trump stories. And if 99.9% of the coverage is anti-my guy, then you aren't being fair. And if you're not being fair, you're probably lying or blowing things out of proportion or taking things out of context, so I don't need to listen to you anymore. I mean, that's where we are now.

Okay I see where you are coming from on this, and I agree with you on the first part-at first I think it was okay to cover this because no one knew what he was do/be like/get away with as President. But yeah its more than time to stop analyzing every moment of his Presidency. He's not going to change, and its likely to get worse if he gets impeached. I will add that its time to do the same with his Cabinet/staff too. Let's face it, they are following his example/has his blessing. So I don't think we need every detail of his/her ethics violations-just report they are being investigated for them and move on. I see Ryan Zinke is being investigated again-I would rather hear more about the changes to his Department and what they mean for the future than about some door he bought on tax-payer money.

I think if there has been nothing so far to get the most ardent Trump supporters to see another side of him at this point, there is nothing that can be said/he says or does that will change their minds going forward. And that includes the Mueller report.

As to what I would like to see CNN/MSNBC etc cover more of, it would be nice if they started covering things, not political ones, going on in the US and the World again. CNN pretty much spends the entire 6pm newscast on Trump, and then the last five minutes on North Korea/China/some other country with a negative viewpoint towards the US. The only time they seem to break from it is due to a natural disaster/terrorist event/etc.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #13803
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll be honest about where I stand right now. I haven't voted for a Democrat outside local elections - perhaps one or two inconsequential state positions - in my life. I haven't always voted Republican, either. But right now, I'm leaning toward voting Democrat for House simply as a vote against the current GOP. I hate what they have become. They have taken the "C" conservative ideology and replaced it with a "c" conservative reactionary, scared, hateful platform. And although I probably don't support many of the positions the Democrat would put forward, and I don't necessarily have any issues on a personal basis with the Republican, I'm probably going to vote Democrat in at least this one race, on principle. The GOP is an embarrassment right now. I was already moving away from them, but Trump makes it fairly easy to want to stand apart from them. There's just not a party I want to vote with/for, right now. It seems both sides are headed toward extremes.

Same, KSyrup. As of right now, next Tuesday, I will.be voting all D in national elections. I can't stand what the national GOP had become.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #13804
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wow that Jacob Wohl/Jacob Burkman news conference is the gift that keeps on giving. Not only did the promised Mueller accuser fail to materialize, they weren't even sure of how to spell her last name.

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-01-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #13805
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Wow that Jacob Wohl/Jacob Burkman news conference is the gift that keeps on giving. Not only did the promised Mueller accuser fail to materialize, they weren't even sure of how to spell her last name.

And the one guy's fly was down during the entire thing.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #13806
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Yeah I saw that but given my posts today about not talking about the little things so much...

And someone has already called NYU and shocking! they have no record of anyone by that name.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #13807
Thomkal
Head Coach

New reporting on emails between Roger Stone, Steve Bannon, and the editor of Breibart over Julian Assange/Wikileaks on Clinton emails:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/u...one-trump.html
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #13808
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I don't think anyone thought HW was dumb. At all. The brocolli incident wasn't to highlight his intelligence (a lot of people thought he was right to refuse if he wanted to - just not brocolli growers ). I will also point out that the media has not indciated that John McCain or Mitt Romney, or Paul Ryan are dumb either, even when made fun of them.

And Clinton got killed by SNL. I remember an early skit of him just slamming him for downing BigMacs and then a few of him womanizing (there was even a joke about him womanizing in the BigMac sketch).

The media ran with all sorts of Clinton garbage, he smuggled drugs, he killed Vince Foster, etc. They did the same thing with Obama and Benghazi, the birth certificate, etc. No, the narrative wasn't, "he's dumb," but claiming the media somehow only portrayed them positively is ridiculous.

While Bush2 might have been hit for his intelligence, the media killed Gore to the point where it probably cost him the election.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #13809
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Obviously a secret message to Q.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #13810
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'll be honest about where I stand right now. I haven't voted for a Democrat outside local elections - perhaps one or two inconsequential state positions - in my life. I haven't always voted Republican, either. But right now, I'm leaning toward voting Democrat for House simply as a vote against the current GOP.

I used to vote Republican for fiscal reasons. But they're a trillion in the hole this year and the economy is actually good. Imagine the deficit when we start having some down years.

The party is weird now. Can't figure out what they stand for outside of the part that's just full on white supremacist. They aren't fiscally conservative anymore. They aren't free trade. They don't even stand up to brutal dictators like they used to.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #13811
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I do wonder what the free trade Republicans are going to do. Some conservative commentators have suggested they may have to actually try to join the Democratic party and basically start up conservative Democrats again.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #13812
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm talking about stuff like waving to the crowd before he gets on a helicopter to go to 911 service. Stuff like him simply dropping his umbrella for someone else to pick up as he boards Air Force One. Look, we all know he's a piece of shit, and certainly, there are incidents that should be documented that prove that, but blowing these things up as legit news stories is ridiculous, IMO. We don't need instant anti-Trump op-eds and trivial news stories for every single thing Trump does.

I just think it's having the opposite effect people want. It's making Trump supporters love him more, not less. It's no longer about any specific incident, it's simply another anti-Trump story that must not be true because all the MSM does is run anti-Trump stories. And if 99.9% of the coverage is anti-my guy, then you aren't being fair. And if you're not being fair, you're probably lying or blowing things out of proportion or taking things out of context, so I don't need to listen to you anymore. I mean, that's where we are now.

This doesn't make it right but it's a business and stories about him sell. It's the same reason the media is obsessed with mass shooters and will dedicate days of coverage to them over the victims.

He's also really fascinating as a President. Let's face it, most Presidents are complete bores. Most of their time was spent dealing with boring policy and giving boring answers on it. He spends his day getting riled up by Gateway Pundit and Fox News and tweeting crazy stuff.

I'd also add that I think it's really tough to determine what's a pro or anti Trump story. Take health care for instance. He pushed for a plan to remove the pre-existing condition clause. His administration is openly fighting to have it removed in the courts as well.

So if you write an article on that, it has no bias. It's just this is what the President is doing. And usually a President is happy to promote the policy they are pushing. But he will lie to his supporters and say that's not true. So his supporters thing the article is anti-Trump.

He can also make a positive article look negative. For instance the Saudi arms deal creates 500 jobs. It's not a ton but it's still positive for the economy. But he goes to a rally and says it created a million jobs here. So is that article now an anti-Trump article?

I guess what I'm saying is that it's really hard to differentiate pro and anti articles for someone who is a pathological liar. They can turn any article into something that appears negative.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #13813
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I do wonder what the free trade Republicans are going to do. Some conservative commentators have suggested they may have to actually try to join the Democratic party and basically start up conservative Democrats again.

They'll either do nothing or just randomly take the far-left stance on trade that Trump has. Everyone is too chickenshit to differ from him on an issue so I don't really see the point in supporting someone who doesn't actually have a voice.

The party could have simply said "no tariffs, we're the free trade, capitalist party" and pushed through a bill (most Democrats have even come around on free trade so you could probably even make it veto-proof if anyone had a set of testicles).
Old 11-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #13814
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

hahahahahahahaha. If this was an SNL skit, it would be too stupid to be funny. The fact that this is real, just, hahahahahahahahaha
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #13815
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They'll either do nothing or just randomly take the far-left stance on trade that Trump has. Everyone is too chickenshit to differ from him on an issue so I don't really see the point in supporting someone who doesn't actually have a voice.

Yeah, but a lot of these people (and not necessarily the politicians) have businesses that make a shit load of money through free trade. I doubt they'll want to lose that much money just to get in line.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #13816
RainMaker
General Manager

On the topic of Trump and the media (particularly CNN).

CNN boss: If we break away from Trump coverage 'the audience goes away' | TheHill
Old 11-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #13817
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
hahahahahahahaha. If this was an SNL skit, it would be too stupid to be funny. The fact that this is real, just, hahahahahahahahaha

I am guessing we will have that skit in a couple days. It's too easy of a mark not to do. The writers have probably been.giddy writing it up today.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #13818
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
The one skit I remember about Clinton

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-01-2018 at 07:08 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #13819
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Now you know how liberals have felts for at least 15 years watch Fox News. Finally, we have some common ground to share:-)

I stopped watching Fox at least since Obama got elected. Its just disappointing that CNN became a Fox because I used to think it was closer to the "fair and balance" than Fox ever was.

FWIW, I used to like Lou Dobbs when he was just reporting on business. And now he's like crazy.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #13820
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
But it is just white folks against unauthorized immigration, mostly. They are the ones that get to vote without being hassled and they are the ones that make public policy, period. Immigration policy is well down the list of things people care about in the Democratic platform, unless you are an immigrant. I would argue it is top 3 for the GOP.... because it is easy to scare people and the scariness emanates from a racist place.

1) I honestly could not find data to support or invalidate your first sentence. Plenty of surveys on GOP/Dem attitudes towards unauthorized immigration but I could not find a survey that broke out "white" attitudes (if you find one, please provide a link).

However, I can agree that a large % of white folks (not necessarily majority/mostly) are against unauthorized immigration.

2) My point is they are not alone, "it ain't just the white dudes". We can quibble with true % and maybe wording of the survey, but 47% is a pretty large number of blacks that oppose unauthorized immigration. So its not just white folks.

3) Do you believe if Dems get back into power that blacks would feel significantly different about unauthorized immigrants?

What I read was that blacks in general are concerned about the economic competition from the unauthorized/illegals and hence have their own motivations vs. many white folks with the "we are good now" attitude. Different rationale but similar feelings against unauthorized for a large chunk of blacks.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #13821
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

You got to admit the toilet paper stuck to shoe was worthy of front page.

EDIT: okay, maybe not. After reading more posts, it seems everyone thinks it wasn't worthy.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-01-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #13822
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Same, KSyrup. As of right now, next Tuesday, I will.be voting all D in national elections. I can't stand what the national GOP had become.

Hey, that is 3 of us so far.

I'm doing early voting Fri. Told my HS daughter she is coming with me so she can see how voting goes and democracy in action.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-01-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #13823
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
3) Do you believe if Dems get back into power that blacks would feel significantly different about unauthorized immigrants?

I do not, but I do think that it would be part of the party platform like space exploration or education reform. It would sort of be there, but it would not be a major concern or a major reason to be against the party for Dems that disagree with the party platform on reform. Not a dealbreaker.

Last edited by Butter : 11-02-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #13824
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I am dreading the holidays when my parents come to visit. They have gone off the deep end for Trump. I blame 25 years of living in Texas, personally. And they may be coming earlier to help with my wife who is having surgery on Monday.

It's going to be almost impossible to avoid the news for that long. They usually have Fox News on 24/7. It's only gotten worse since they retired - they have nothing to do but sit around and get revved up about whatever Fox News tells them. I'm just thankful the elections will be over by then... although, depending on the outcome, it might be an even bigger shitshow around here if they can't contain themselves. Don't know what would happen if they found out I voted for a Democrat in a close race...!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #13825
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I am dreading the holidays when my parents come to visit. They have gone off the deep end for Trump. I blame 25 years of living in Texas, personally. And they may be coming earlier to help with my wife who is having surgery on Monday.

It's going to be almost impossible to avoid the news for that long. They usually have Fox News on 24/7. It's only gotten worse since they retired - they have nothing to do but sit around and get revved up about whatever Fox News tells them. I'm just thankful the elections will be over by then... although, depending on the outcome, it might be an even bigger shitshow around here if they can't contain themselves. Don't know what would happen if they found out I voted for a Democrat in a close race...!

Ask them open ended questions about what they like about Trump and what they don't like about Trump.

You have plenty of research already done on this forum. Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #13826
Ksyrup

Oh hell no... politics will be off limits. They are staying with us for maybe up to 2 weeks. I don't want the guilt of throwing my family out of our house 750 miles from home during the holidays.

I don't WANT to know what they like about Trump. I CANNOT handle the truth...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #13827
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh hell no... politics will be off limits. They are staying with us for maybe up to 2 weeks. I don't want the guilt of throwing my family out of our house 750 miles from home during the holidays.

I don't WANT to know what they like about Trump. I CANNOT handle the truth...

Look at it this way, if you have these discussions (but don't throw them out), its less likely they will come visit in the future.

Com'on, it'll be a good social experiment that many on this board will likely have to endure over the holidays with "new" discussion topics as it'll be after the mid-terms. Take one for the team and let us know what works (or not) with your in-laws.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #13828
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I was thinking about this last night regarding "main stream media" and the insult attack thread here. And admittedly this is a bit different than news coverage.

I think there is a very clear difference in how the entertainment industry has presented R Presidents vs D Presidents. I'm thinking of Late night tv talk show and Saturday night live as the first two to come to mind. Now in both cases they "pick on" satirize (is that the right word?) the sitting President for comedic relief.

But going back to HW Bush whether it was broccoli or Dan Quail misspelling potato the joke was beaten to death that these guys were idiots. Not just they screwed up but they personally were idiots.

Clinton surely got his ribs. But they were about "I didn't inhale" or about Monica. It seemed like the jokes or portrayals always presented him in this cool positive light but made fun of his choices.

Then W - I mean all we heard for 8 years was that he was so dumb it was a miracle he tied his shoes properly. I'm not denying he said some goofy things but there were constant viscious personal attacks.

Obama - again if we got anything at all it was about his smoking or about his wife calling the shots.

Trump - Well again we are back to the 'this idiot' narrative although I don't argue too much about it in this case.

it just seems like not just "media" but also the entertainment group makes it much more of a personal attack against conservatives and much less a friendly rib against liberals. Now I am not suggesting they don't have every right to tell whatever story they want. But, I know for me it gets sooo tiring that I have given up watching Fallen or Kimmel because its nightly the same tired joke. I mean there is rarely any creativity just low hanging fruit. I get the feeling like the writers don't think the general public is smart enough to realize they are hammering the guy and think they will eventually convince them...along with of course playing to their base. But there is a measure of fatigue. I think it played a role (how large I don't know) in the Trump "forgotten class" swell.

Anyway thanks for indulging my thoughts, wrong as they may be

This might be the greatest post in the history of fake sports (although I'm prone to exaggeration). The sad thing is that many people get their 'news' from shows like SNL and Kimmel.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #13829
Ksyrup

Quote:
Look at it this way, if you have these discussions (but don't throw them out), its less likely they will come visit in the future.

Com'on, it'll be a good social experiment that many on this board will likely have to endure over the holidays with "new" discussion topics as it'll be after the mid-terms. Take one for the team and let us know what works (or not) with your in-laws.

Not my in-laws, my mom and dad.

Wife's parents are also Trump supporters but less fringe-y about it, from what I can tell. They visited us about a month ago and nothing really came up. Except when Trump flew into Lexington to stump for Andy Barr and my mom messaged her mom about whether they were going to the rally or to watch the plane come in...
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #13830
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

You and me both. I'm a vastly outnumbered Democrat in my family, and its been tough just biting my tongue whenever they start going off on just about anything Republican or Trump. We try to avoid politics during Thanksgiving when most of them are here, and thankfully they are not 24/7 Fox watchers.

And Ksyrup if you can't take it anymore than just tell them you voted for a Democrat and why-should just clear them right out of the house

Hope your wife's surgery goes okay.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #13831
Ksyrup

Ha! Yeah, maybe that will be the last-ditch strategy if things go bad.

We had a minor blow-up a couple of years ago not necessarily about anything directly political, but something symptomatic of the whole Trump/scared old white people thing (I'm being purposely vague because I don't feel like discussing it), and since then, I think they have toned it down around us because they are scared I will cut off all access to the grandkids if they keep it up. And we did spend an uneventful summer week with them on vacation a few months ago. But I'm just concerned with the elections and so much crap out there in general right now that it's going to be impossible to avoid.

Hopefully everyone will be on their best behaviors...
Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #13832
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ask them open ended questions about what they like about Trump and what they don't like about Trump.

You have plenty of research already done on this forum. Let us know how it goes!

Why do you want to ruin Ksyrup's holidays?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #13833
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, maybe that will be the last-ditch strategy if things go bad.

We had a minor blow-up a couple of years ago not necessarily about anything directly political, but something symptomatic of the whole Trump/scared old white people thing (I'm being purposely vague because I don't feel like discussing it), and since then, I think they have toned it down around us because they are scared I will cut off all access to the grandkids if they keep it up. And we did spend an uneventful summer week with them on vacation a few months ago. But I'm just concerned with the elections and so much crap out there in general right now that it's going to be impossible to avoid.

Hopefully everyone will be on their best behaviors...

Will your parents have their own room/TV? If not maybe invest in a TV before they get there
Old 11-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #13834
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Why do you want to ruin Ksyrup's holidays?

His loss may be our gain.

For Christmas we'll be headed to the in-laws in Dallas. The mom-and-dad-in-laws don't really care too much about politics but the sister/brother-in-laws are pretty much Trump supporters. One set is pretty ardent to the point where a brother-in-law-of-the-sister-in-law told them on FB to just unfriend him (pretty funny).

I feel that I can hold an intelligent conversation with some give-and-take and exploring both sides of the issues but one set is one of those brainwashed ones.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #13835
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

My in-laws are big Trump supporters, but both their daughters are pretty left leaning, so during holidays they have a no-politics rule. I think that works best. (My folks are lefties, as they are Muslim and my parents were immigrants that almost goes without saying).
Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #13836
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I have been living this for 4 months now. We moved back to Jersey in July and decided to stay with my in laws until our house in Oregon sold and we can buy one here. Took much longer than expected and we are still looking out here. My MIL literally has Fox News on all day and believes everything they say. During the Ford hearing it was dreadful, she took glee in the way they tore that woman up.

Quote:

See above. I tried talking with her the first few weeks we were here, didn't work.

You know when you call tech support, and Bob answers, except Bob is in Pakistan, and you know Bob can't actually think for himself and is just reading from a script? Thats what it was like. All she did was regurgitate what she heard on Fox, verbiage and all. Not an original thought in her head, and if you had a logical counter it was fake news. It is literally impossible to have a conversation with them because they are brainwashed to the point of no return. My FIL is a lot better, he at least can internalize what a creep Trump is. My MIL is one of those " he tells it like it is" folks.

I mostly walk around with ear buds in now.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #13837
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

When they ask what you are listening to, you should respond: "NPR"
Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #13838
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
. (My folks are lefties, as they are Muslim and my parents were immigrants that almost goes without saying).

There was a time not long ago when religiously minded, first-generation immigrants would have been a pretty solid conservative group. I understand why you said what you did, but it's really a reflection on the changing GOP.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #13839
molson
General Manager

Check out these group Halloween costume at a local school.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4c&oe=5C4A8346

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f4&oe=5C48EDF9

A co-worker saw these posted on the school's facebook account. Now there's the whole facebook war going on about whether this is OK.

Last edited by molson : 11-02-2018 at 12:20 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #13840
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

A co-worker saw these posted on the school's facebook account. Now there's the whole facebook war going on about whether this is OK.

That is a tough one.

I think the costumes are great and really funny, but not really appropriate for school. The teachers also have to know what the predictable outcome would be.

I wonder if they got permission ahead of time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #13841
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

If you asked the group in the second pic what they were dressed as, what would (or did) they say?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #13842
PilotMan
Head Coach

You can't demand that groups assimilate to a culture that will not accept them. In the history of this country, over and over, groups have been routinely told that they are not welcome, not accepted, not true Americans. The myth has always been a desire for other cultures to assimilate, but the reality is that the cultures within are kept apart, and excluded from the dominant culture, not because they can't, but because the dominant culture doesn't truly want them.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #13843
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There was a time not long ago when religiously minded, first-generation immigrants would have been a pretty solid conservative group. I understand why you said what you did, but it's really a reflection on the changing GOP.

Oh, I know this for a fact. My family were big Republicans when I was growing up. Voted for Reagan twice, GHWB. It shifted when Clinton came in. I think they voted for WBush in 2000, but that's the last Republican for federal office they ever voted for. Amusingly, my dad is still a member of the Republican Club of his town, but mostly because he knows the local politicians.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #13844
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If you asked the group in the second pic what they were dressed as, what would (or did) they say?

I bet they'd say something like "traditional Mexicans"

I wonder what kind of wacky hijinx went on between the two groups.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #13845
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I bet they'd say something like "traditional Mexicans"

I wonder what kind of wacky hijinx went on between the two groups.

I should have gotten this from the things in the background, but it's an elementary school? You can't do that in an elementary school.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #13846
Edward64
Head Coach

I agree that its tough. Overall, don't think its appropriate in a school/government setting worn by teachers. However, take it outside of that context and is it their right to dress up like that for Halloween (e.g. my neighbors in a subdivision). Probably.

Outside of a school/government setting, would asians nowadays be upset with a Fu-Manchu or a Charlie Chan caricature? Would Jews be upset with a Hitler outfit or a death camp costume? Probably yes, but is hurt/offended feelings and bad taste enough to offset first amendment rights?

What say the more knowledgeable first amendment scholars on this board?

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #13847
Logan
Head Coach

Is someone putting the Hitler-costume wearer in jail? Or will they just be fired from their job and hopefully be beaten into a bloody pulp?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #13848
Ksyrup

We're a few days out from the election so plenty can change, but it will be interesting to see how weather affects things. I don't know the exact locations, but it appears the "south" will be seeing rain/thunderstorms, and I've seen a couple of indications that deeper south might see severe weather/tornadic activity (or at least the threat of it).
Old 11-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #13849
Ksyrup

Speaking of bad Halloween costume decisions...

Adair Co. Students Suspended After Dressing As Columbine Shooters | LEX18.com
Old 11-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #13850
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nothing riles up Game of Thrones fans like Trump using it for a renewal of sanctions on Iran:

HBO to Donald Trump: Quit using Game of Thrones without permission | EW.com