Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #1351
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wow, guess I was wrong. Talk about your pyrrhic victories.. get your ass kicked, face turned into hamburger, and off to the hospital and win on a technicality.

Edit: I don't really think the illegal elbow was the one that did the cut.. no doctor would have let it continue, even if it got there.. Wouldn't be surprised to see them make it a no contest or something.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-05-2009 at 10:15 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #1352
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Terrible decision. And a terrible show.

weird. I thought it was the right call.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #1353
Flasch186
Coordinator

did i hit pause on the DVR?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #1354
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Are they going to show this fight or just pictures of the fighters?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #1355
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

He was finished before the "illegal" elbows. If that's what they have to do, then that's what they have to do. However, that rule is totally retarded.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #1356
JS19
College Prospect

Seriously, how did some, actually most, of these guys make it on TUF.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #1357
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He was finished before the "illegal" elbows. If that's what they have to do, then that's what they have to do. However, that rule is totally retarded.

True, but it was a stupid decision to throw those elbows at that point.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #1358
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ortiz v Liddell in Season 11 of TUF, eh?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #1359
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Roy Nelson chooses to enter to "Fat" by Weird Al. heh
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #1360
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm bummed that the fat fuck won, but he deserved it. Having said that, I would never buy a PPV if were to ever headline it. Boring as hell.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #1361
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I'm bummed that the fat fuck won, but he deserved it. Having said that, I would never buy a PPV if were to ever headline it. Boring as hell.

Yeah, unfortunately... like most greats in any sport... highly effective does not always equal highly entertaining.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #1362
AlexB
Pro Starter

It was a tough fight to score, but the only period of dominance was Kimbo's, so you can't really begrudge him the win when bugger all happened for the rest of it.

Interesting couple of tweets from Dana White (I can't work out which fight this was?). I've reordered them so they read top to bottom.

• danawhite
    Illegal knee instantly that mazzagatti doesn't call even when he is staring right at them!

danawhite

I can't believe the nevada state athletic comm puts him in there!!!! Guy knows nothing about MMA. Scary about 13 hours ago from Tweetie
  • __________________
    'A song is a beautiful lie', Idlewild, Self Healer.
    When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you.
    Sports!

Last edited by AlexB : 12-06-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #1363
    sovereignstar
    Pro Starter

I don't have a problem with the Slice scoring now that I know a 10-10 score is possible.
    Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #1364
    Calis
    College Starter

Kimbo/Houston was pretty embarassing. I'd be surprised if Houston fights again in the UFC, and while Kimbo probably shouldn't he's obviously a draw and will be back until he gets embarassed. If he's going to stick to Heavyweight I have no clue who he would fight next. They'll either bring in a former name or maybe do another catchweight fight. He showed some growth at least and a semblance of a ground game, but against Houston who is quite possibly the worst ground fighter in MMA that's not saying much. I can't fathom what Houston was doing there, he goes for the leg kicks to chop him down and when he does floor Kimbo he just stands there. Mind boggling.

John Jones looks very legit. Losing that fight means nothing. He was obviously more impressive, and had the win regardless of the elbows. Might be better off losing, as they won't throw him to the wolves quite yet. I'd like to see another middle tier type fight for him, maybe someone like Franklin. Guy has unbelievable potential for sure.

Edgar looked great. He is still a little small for 155 but that guy can fight. I'd really like to see him get the next shot at BJ(I don't see any way Diego wins next week so I'm assuming), but I'm sure Maynard will get the shot barring a loss in his next fight.

Nelson winning is no surprise, he was far and away better than anyone else on the show. The other TUF fights last night were pretty embarassing. Marcus Jones had a combination of the worst standup I've seen in a long time mixed with the laziest, slowest, and most telegraphed takedowns I've seen in a long time. The other fight was pretty awful as well.

Definitely the worst card in a while, especially after the lackluster on paper last few that ended up being fun to watch.

Next week has some great fights though, so that will hopefully deliver.
    Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #1365
    DeToxRox
    Head Coach

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calis View Post
    Kimbo/Houston was pretty embarassing. I'd be surprised if Houston fights again in the UFC, and while Kimbo probably shouldn't he's obviously a draw and will be back until he gets embarassed. If he's going to stick to Heavyweight I have no clue who he would fight next. They'll either bring in a former name or maybe do another catchweight fight. He showed some growth at least and a semblance of a ground game, but against Houston who is quite possibly the worst ground fighter in MMA that's not saying much. I can't fathom what Houston was doing there, he goes for the leg kicks to chop him down and when he does floor Kimbo he just stands there. Mind boggling.

John Jones looks very legit. Losing that fight means nothing. He was obviously more impressive, and had the win regardless of the elbows. Might be better off losing, as they won't throw him to the wolves quite yet. I'd like to see another middle tier type fight for him, maybe someone like Franklin. Guy has unbelievable potential for sure.

Edgar looked great. He is still a little small for 155 but that guy can fight. I'd really like to see him get the next shot at BJ(I don't see any way Diego wins next week so I'm assuming), but I'm sure Maynard will get the shot barring a loss in his next fight.

Nelson winning is no surprise, he was far and away better than anyone else on the show. The other TUF fights last night were pretty embarassing. Marcus Jones had a combination of the worst standup I've seen in a long time mixed with the laziest, slowest, and most telegraphed takedowns I've seen in a long time. The other fight was pretty awful as well.

Definitely the worst card in a while, especially after the lackluster on paper last few that ended up being fun to watch.

Next week has some great fights though, so that will hopefully deliver.

Agree with a lot of what you said.

- Kimbo should fight Mitrione next honestly. Just let him keep winning and all Mitrione does is bang anyway. Would be fun to watch. I think Kimbo is gonna be kept around to fight Chuck honestly. I think it'd be a huge PPV draw for the morbid curiosity of it all.

- Jones is insane. Only 22? Jesus. His future is mega fucking bright.

- Agree on Edgar. I think he should fight BJ/Diego's winner but obviously won't. Still, I expect him to get a shot by the end of the year.

- I don't think Schuab was bad. He impressed me for a guy who's fought no one really, and he is only what, 25? He has a bright future. He just got tagged by a wicked punch. He uses his jab really well though and is improving on the ground.

- Marcus has no chin and absolutely no striking. Good guy, but he won't ever win with that striking.

- Mitrione can be a fun guy to watch because he's gonna either KO you or get KO'd, but isn't very impressive.

- Wren has a future, hopefully he goes to Dream or somewhere and can develop.

- The others, meh.
    DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #1366
    Calis
    College Starter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

- I don't think Schuab was bad. He impressed me for a guy who's fought no one really, and he is only what, 25? He has a bright future. He just got tagged by a wicked punch. He uses his jab really well though and is improving on the ground.

Yeah I should have clarified, I meant the other TUF fights apart from Nelson/Schaub, not all the fighters except Nelson. Schaub looks to have pretty decent standup for someone relatively new to the sport, and if he can develop a decent takedown defense/ground game he can be pretty good. He appears to have the highest ceiling of the guys I saw last night(I didn't watch the season beyond a few episodes, so I can't speak too much).

Nelson is sort of how Danzig was his season. They're guys who were basically locks to win the show from the start barring an injury, but also guys who were molded enough that they're getting close to fully developed. I don't see Nelson growing a whole lot more as a fighter, whereas someone like Schaub definitely could improve leaps and bounds. Nelson is solid though and can beat a lot of the HW division right now, but that's not saying much.

I was actually happy to see Tito/Chuck named as the coaches. I don't care at all about the fight really, but I love that they're not putting either a title or top contenders on a long hold to do the show. Then again, I'm not a fan of the show so maybe people are up in arms about having two guys who aren't top of the heap.

I'm glad to see Forrest not put up for an immediate 3rd match with Tito also. I want to see him fight someone else higher up the ladder so we can get a gauge for where he's at. Maybe a fight like Rogerio? I think Rogerio knocks him out, but that would be a good win for Rogerio.

I'm actually really hoping for a Shogun win over Machida, and then a possible Shogun/Rogerio 2 match(The first one was one of my all-time favorites), or maybe Shogun/Rampage 2(The first one was pretty embarassing for Rampage). Some great matchups in that division no matter who wins the next few fights.

Is the new future dream match a more developed John Jones vs. Machida? I think so. In a couple years I'd love to see that.
    Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #1367
    saldana
    Pro Starter

did anyone else catch Mitrione's post match comment..."Marcus was a lot stronger than I gave him credit for, and you know, I have retard strength"

i rewound it 3 times to see if that was really what he said....i cant imagine that any of the sponsors liked that very much.
    saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #1368
    cthomer5000
    Strategy Moderator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saldana View Post
    did anyone else catch Mitrione's post match comment..."Marcus was a lot stronger than I gave him credit for, and you know, I have retard strength"

i rewound it 3 times to see if that was really what he said....i cant imagine that any of the sponsors liked that very much.

Something tells me UFC sponsors don't really worry about the PC police too much.
    Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #1369
    thesloppy
    Pro Starter

Condom Depot has withdrawn all ass-patch deals in the aftermath.
    thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #1370
    saldana
    Pro Starter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
    Something tells me UFC sponsors don't really worry about the PC police too much.

so you may have a point when it comes to the malt liquor sponsor, but Burger King?
    Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #1371
    sovereignstar
    Pro Starter

DID HE JUST SAY RETARD STRENGTH??? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'M NOT BUYING BURGER KING ANYMORE

Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #1372
    saldana
    Pro Starter

Quote:
    DID HE JUST SAY RETARD STRENGTH??? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'M NOT BUYING BURGER KING ANYMORE

that science genius may buy BK, but BK may not be happy with UFC...miller light was furious with lesnar after the bud light crack after he beat Mir and iirc, threatened to pull their sponsorship
    Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #1373
    Flasch186
    Coordinator

totally different

Commissioner of the USFL
    USFL
    Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #1374
    Calis
    College Starter

I'd have to say using the phrase "retard strength" is about a 3 on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to offensive things that happen on TUF. I don't think it will even get mentioned. The fact it was said by a nobody helps also.

Especially since there is a minor hoopla(warranted or otherwise) because apparently Joe Brammer was being sponsored by a company that has Neo-Nazi ties or at least sponsors some Neo-Nazi bands. Not sure how valid this is, but I've read it a few different places now.
    Old 12-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #1375
    Calis
    College Starter

Henderson signed a 4 fight deal with Strikeforce.

I'd love to see Henderson vs. Mousasi. I hope that happens soon.

Hendo/Shields maybe also? That one doesn't seem too competitive to me though especially with Shields being undersized.

Nice marquee name for them though.
    Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #1376
    DeToxRox
    Head Coach

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calis View Post
    Henderson signed a 4 fight deal with Strikeforce.

I'd love to see Henderson vs. Mousasi. I hope that happens soon.

Hendo/Shields maybe also? That one doesn't seem too competitive to me though especially with Shields being undersized.

Nice marquee name for them though.

Yeah. What sucks about Strikeforce though is how shallow their roster is. So many fights are gonna either end up catch weight or with one guy adding/dropping to get to a class he doesn't usually fight in.

I guess for Hendo there is Mousasi, Shields, Babalau and I don't even know? King Mo maybe?
    Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #1377
    Oilers9911
    College Benchwarmer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

How can you call that knockout boring?
    Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #1378
    dervack
    College Prospect

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
    How can you call that knockout boring?
    I think he just meant Nelson was boring. Which he really is.
    dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #1379
    Flasch186
    Coordinator

I think Nelson is great and could be a lovable type if handled properly.

Commissioner of the USFL
    USFL
    Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #1380
    Travis
    Pro Rookie

Worth remembering with the show setup that they're fighting on a compressed schedule. I mean he went in knowing he'd have to win 3 fights with a pretty short turn around time against a bunch of guys who look like they could knock you out with one good shot.

So then he gets a proper training camp/time amount and performs like that at the finale. I think that's a much better fight to judge his "excitement" level from than the one's on the show as he stated he was trying to get through as quickly/easily as possible. Sure some of that will crop up even if he only fights 3 times a year, but it's hard to fault the guy (from my perspective) for approaching the show like that.

That said, I thought he lost his second fight (Wren I think was the opponent's name) so I don't necessarily think he really deserved to be where he ended up and had he lost that fight his approach likely would have meant that he wouldn't have had a fight at the finale (maybe on the under card but I doubt that even) so it was a risky strategy.

I am curious if/when he'll rematch with Kimbo as I'm assuming they'll want to give Kimbo a chance to avenge his only "loss" in the UFC at some point.

Last edited by Travis : 12-07-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #1381
    DeToxRox
    Head Coach

Mir just fucking tooled Kongo. Wow.
    Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #1382
    Recoil
    High School Varsity

WAR MIR

I hope he gets another shot at Lesnar
    Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #1383
    thesloppy
    Pro Starter

Gross.
    thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #1384
    DeToxRox
    Head Coach

Well, no one is winning the 155 title until Penn moves up to 170. Penn is a totally different animal now with that boxing. He's just so fast. I really think Penn vs GSP needs to happen before a GSP vs Anderson fight.
    Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #1385
    Recoil
    High School Varsity

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
    I really think Penn vs GSP needs to happen before a GSP vs Anderson fight.

QFT

Penn has no other serious challengers at LW.
    Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #1386
    B & B
    College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    QFT

Penn has no other serious challengers at LW.

Made a few quick bucks on Penn, and wont bet against him at this weight EVER.
    Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #1387
    Recoil
    High School Varsity

He was a steal at -240 or whatever the hell he was. It was easy money, anyways.
    Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #1388
    cthomer5000
    Strategy Moderator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
    Gross.

I was slightly surprised the ref didn't stop the fight in the first 20 seconds.... and after 5 rounds of that beating he took, Sanchez probably wished he had. Oof... huge cut above his eye to add to a bleeding ear, split lip, two swollen eyes and a really bashed up nose.

Penn took him to school bigtime.
    Old 12-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #1389
    cthomer5000
    Strategy Moderator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saldana View Post
    so you may have a point when it comes to the malt liquor sponsor, but Burger King?

I'm saying brands affiliated with guys beating each other to death probably don't break a sweat when one of the fighters uses the term "retard strength." Do you really imagine there are watchdog groups out there that will pull them up on that specifically, but are fine with their affiliation with UFC in the first place?
    Old 12-13-2009, 02:26 AM   #1390
    k0ruptr
    Pro Starter

BJ!!! Hilo is very very happy tonite once again, and we also cannot figure out who if anyone can challenge him at 155.
    Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #1391
    Calis
    College Starter

I actually don't have much desire to see Penn vs. GSP again. He was completely manhandled last time, and that wasn't very long ago. I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy sticking to a weight class and just dominating. There's not much out there for him though, I want to see Edgar get a shot, and I'm sure Maynard is next in line if he beats Diaz. I don't think anyone is too excited for a potential Penn/Maynard fight though.

He is in a whole different class for sure.

If it was possible for Penn to cut a little more, I'd be more interested in the future to see a Penn/Aldo fight than Penn/GSP 3. Aldo needs a few defenses of his own first though, and Aldo is light for 145 already so that is probably less interesting in reality than it is in my mind.

Pretty fun card to watch overall, even though the three main fights went exactly how everyone would expect.
    Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #1392
    PilotMan
    Head Coach

Mir looked good. I don't think that Kongo scared him at all, having been in there with Lesnar. Kongo just wasn't a threat.

Sanchez's gash was one of the biggest gashes I have ever seen in a fight, and that gash on Guida's head wasn't pretty either.

Kenny Florian is a badass, but still there isn't anyone who can match Penn anywhere. His boxing, especially at the end of the fight was outstanding, and that takedown defense is totally demoralizing.

Now next weekend, Strikeforce is running a very nice card as well. An easy one to pick, but still should be entertaining, and Thompson/Melendez could be exciting, and the return of Cung Le, who should dominate Scott Smith. Robbie Lawler on the card, as is King Mo and Jacare.

Like Steam?
    Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #1393
    sovereignstar
    Pro Starter

YES..... YES.... YES!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #1394
    Flasch186
    Coordinator

that gash closed up nicely.

I want to add that GSP beat Penn greased up. PERIOD. Now that doesnt mean GSP wont win straight up in a rematch but I'll never get it out of my head the complete vaseline rubdown GSP got between rounds 2 and 3.

Commissioner of the USFL
    USFL
    Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #1395
    Oilers9911
    College Benchwarmer

Give me a break with that greasing nonsense. You think a little bit of vaseline made a difference? Rewatch the fight and see that it was wiped off by an official anyway. GSP handed Penn his ass and would do so again.
    Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #1396
    JS19
    College Prospect

Speaking of GSP, what's the word on him? Haven't heard a thing about him lately.
    JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #1397
    Flasch186
    Coordinator

eh, I watched the fight live and replays and it was obvious greasing at 2 breaks between rounds. That is why BJ's legs slipped off of GSP's shoulders when he was on his back. That being said, no need to give a break as Im not saying BJ would win should they fight again. I would just like to see it without vaseline other than that which is shoved down in gashes.

Commissioner of the USFL
    USFL
    Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #1398
    Calis
    College Starter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
    Speaking of GSP, what's the word on him? Haven't heard a thing about him lately.

He has an appointment to murder Dan Hardy in March I believe it is.
    Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #1399
    Calis
    College Starter

Just saw some pretty big announcements. Unfortunately Little Nog pulled out of his fight with Vera so that is disappointing but they have replaced him with Jon Jones. That's a pretty good matchup, nice step for Jones without throwing him to the sharks.

Carwin vs. Mir also announced for Interim title at UFC 111. Glad to see it made.
    Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #1400
    PilotMan
    Head Coach

GSP has been recovering from that groin injury that he got in his last fight.

Cain Velasquez has to be on the horizon after Carwin/Mir, assuming that Lesanr can't come back during the summer. Or he is Lesnar's opponent when he does come back, with the winner fighting Carwin or Mir. Personally, I think that Mir beats Carwin. He has no fear right now, and I think that Carwin is overblown.

Like Steam?
    Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote