Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #1351
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Are those makeshift ventilators? Never seen those hoods before. Wondering if it's just pumping oxygen through.

TBH don't know, just found the yt video by reading here and there.

Re: field hospitals, there are a lot of dorm & hotel rooms empty now. CDC, FEMA, National Guard or whoever better have some plans in place just in case hospitals are overwhelmed.

The risk is also lack of healthcare professionals. In addition to existing healthcare professionals, they should be doing some emergency training for some military folks now, reaching out to retired Drs. and Nurses to see if they are willing to volunteer, and very importantly, making plans to take care of the healthcare workers' families if they are called to service/work.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #1352
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Messages From Italians Quarantined in the Coronavirus Pandemic - The Atlantic
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #1353
miami_fan
Coordinator

How is everyone interacting with their elderly parents?

I live about 20 minutes from my mother. While she is still pretty strong, My nephew who is in college locally and I generally handle most of her shopping and drive her to most medical appointments and such. I stopped by on Saturday but have not been since. My nephew stays with her so I am not as concerned as I would be if she lived alone.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #1354
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I live about 20 minutes from my mother. While she is still pretty strong, My nephew who is in college locally and I generally handle most of her shopping and drive her to most medical appointments and such. I stopped by on Saturday but have not been since. My nephew stays with her so I am not as concerned as I would be if she lived alone.

Not seeing my parents. I did have to call my mother yesterday to yell at her for going to her weekly bridge game. My dad will be 90 this year. My in laws are taking it far more seriously, which is interesting because my MIL is a Fox news die hard trumper. I picked up some prescriptions yesterday for them and did a quick exchange with my father in law outside.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #1355
miami_fan
Coordinator

My friends that work at Publix said there was a line of 75+ people outside the store twenty minutes before it opened at 7am today.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #1356
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Our groceries were rough over the weekend, but they were fine yesterday. People seem to get the hoarding out of their system after they've done it once.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #1357
Butter
Coordinator

My mom is 68 and has COPD. I usually take her grocery shopping once a week, but last 2 weeks I've done the shopping for her. She did go to a pharmacy the other day and went INSIDE instead of using the drive thru. She said the drive thru line was too long. I said too bad, you should wait in it.

My in laws are 8 hours away and are Fox News diehards. They have not been taking this seriously at all. One has lung issues, the other is on dialysis.

Last edited by Butter : 03-17-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #1358
Drake
assmaster

I went to the grocery store in our small town last night around midnight. I was surprised at how well stocked they were. If you didn't need bread, meat, or potatoes, they were fine. I was specifically in search of milk and figured I'd have to hit every gas station and convenience store trying to find it...but their dairy larder was full.

This might be a small town advantage, though. Our whole county runs about 15k people and we've got two grocery stores, a CVS and a small WalMart just in our town. When I talked to the cashier (since overnights are when the bulk of the stocking happens), she said they weren't having any problems getting stock in (with the exception of bread and toilet paper) and expected even those temporary shortages to resolve themselves in the next couple of days.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #1359
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:

My mom is in her low 70s, my brother is local to her and she had him bring her groceries and had him leave them outside her door and wait until he was gone. I think that is smart at this point. She's been laying low, staying inside her home for the past few weeks already.
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #1360
Edward64
Head Coach

Could be put on the other thread but thought it fit here just as well.

Don't know if this is specific to coronavirus but likely added to the stress levels. The slap-punch occurs deep into the video. Poor flight attendants.

Brussels Airlines passenger slaps stewardess over elbow room dispute

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-17-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #1361
Thomkal
Head Coach

I live with my Mom who is in her 80's. She is definitely in the high-risk zone if she gets the virus with multiple medical conditions. She and her friends get together a couple times/month to do card crafting. They have put that on hold for now.

Went to Publix yesterday where they wiped down every cart, even the electric cart she uses in there. Wiped down the Pharmacy counter while we there, and elsewhere in the store. Myrtle Beach has about 83 Walmarts so our grocery access hasn't been a problem. We have one small trip we need to do there later this week to pick up something we ordered,and I have a dentist appointment next week that they want me to keep, but otherwise we are ready to ride this out.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #1362
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife came back from Publix after a run. Still no/low on staples and reduced selection on canned food & vegetables but still plenty of beer.

She brought back from green cookies and reminded me its St. Patrick's Day. I think everyone has forgotten about it.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #1363
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Could be put on the other thread but thought it fit here just as well.

Don't know if this is specific to coronavirus but likely added to the stress levels. The slap-punch occurs deep into the video. Poor flight attendants.

Brussels Airlines passenger slaps stewardess over elbow room dispute

That passenger would be sitting uncomfortably in restraints for the rest of that flight if they were on my plane.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #1364
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That passenger would be sitting uncomfortably in restraints for the rest of that flight if they were on my plane.

I didn't know you were into BDSM
Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #1365
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Wife came back from Publix after a run. Still no/low on staples and reduced selection on canned food & vegetables but still plenty of beer.

She brought back from green cookies and reminded me its St. Patrick's Day. I think everyone has forgotten about it.

Wife placed an order for pickup two days ago. Today was the earliest date for pickup. It was about $250 to feed 5 adults for a week to 10 days. Kroger couldn't fill half of it. Now she's a little worried about not only quantities, but she has a special diet and can't get the foods that she calls staples either.

Like Steam?

Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #1366
Galaril
Pro Starter

Nice gesture and flys in the face of narrative China is our enemy :
Chinese billionaire Jack Ma tweeted for the first time ever to say he's started shipping 1 million masks and 500,000 coronavirus testing kits to the US
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #1367
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

The article said the guys that restrained him after the punch broke some ribs.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #1368
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
The article said the guys that restrained him after the punch broke some ribs.

I meant cuffs, behind his back.

Like Steam?

Old 03-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #1369
miami_fan
Coordinator

Parents, your Spring Breakers are heading back home.

Florida bars and nightclubs to close, students ordered home, DeSantis says
Old 03-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #1370
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I live with my Mom who is in her 80's. She is definitely in the high-risk zone if she gets the virus with multiple medical conditions. She and her friends get together a couple times/month to do card crafting. They have put that on hold for now.

Went to Publix yesterday where they wiped down every cart, even the electric cart she uses in there. Wiped down the Pharmacy counter while we there, and elsewhere in the store. Myrtle Beach has about 83 Walmarts so our grocery access hasn't been a problem. We have one small trip we need to do there later this week to pick up something we ordered,and I have a dentist appointment next week that they want me to keep, but otherwise we are ready to ride this out.

Dentist changed their minds, so no doc/dentist appointments until april
Old 03-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #1371
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We saw my parents for what we figure will be the last time for a while over this weekend.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #1372
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching the news conference now.

Pence interrupted Trump as he began to ramble and adlib. Trump stepped aside and Pence clarified.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #1373
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Watching the news conference now.

Pence interrupted Trump as he began to ramble and adlib. Trump stepped aside and Pence clarified.

Has that ever happened before?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #1374
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Has that ever happened before?

Not that I remember ever seeing.

When it happened, I was thinking wow. I could see Fauci doing it but not the sycophant Pence.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #1375
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Wife placed an order for pickup two days ago. Today was the earliest date for pickup. It was about $250 to feed 5 adults for a week to 10 days. Kroger couldn't fill half of it. Now she's a little worried about not only quantities, but she has a special diet and can't get the foods that she calls staples either.

Yeah, unfortunately there is some lag time there. I don't think stores were prepared for this "run", and the supply chain takes 2-3 weeks to replenish. I can't speak to what the manufacturing supply chain looks like, but typically Kroger would order, it would take about a week to ship (sometimes more), then the Kroger buyers have to get product to local warehouses, then the stores themselves order product in for themselves. That all takes another week or two. I'm sure they're trying to get as much as they can, but if the manufacturer supply is low, it could be another couple of weeks before they get everything back up to regular levels.

That's for packaged goods and dairy, can't speak for meat or bakery.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #1376
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And now, for the more important news:
Un hombre disfrazado de dinosaurio desafía el estado de alarma... y es cazado por la Policía - MarcaTV

Translated using Google from a Spanish website: "A man dressed as a dinosaur defies the state of alarm ... and is hunted by the Police"
Subtitle translated: "The Local Police of Murcia has published a video in which an agent is seen intercepting a person disguised as Tyrannosaurus Rex: "In a state of alarm, pets are allowed to walk accompanied by a person, always with short walks to relieve themselves The one that you have Tyrannosaurus rex complex is not contemplated, "read the tweet."

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-17-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #1377
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

I wonder if it's for all Italians or just the Chinese in Italy, as per a story about the Chinese government "assistance" a couple of days ago.

China offers Italy medical aid as province donates masks to help overseas Chinese, East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Quote:
China and Italy reaffirmed bilateral ties in a phone call between the two countries' foreign ministers, with Beijing offering to provide Rome with medical aid to help fight the coronavirus. Separately, eastern Zhejiang province donated thousands of boxes of protective gear to help overseas Chinese in the European nation.

The story is a bit confusing, though. The first part is how the Chinese government wants to help Italy but there are no specifics. The second part is about how a specific province sent a specified number of masks and medical equipment, specifically for Chinese nationals in Italy (not the best look).

SI

Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #1378
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Picking up my 70-year old dad from the hospital (had hip replacement surgery yesterday). I've tried to lock myself away since Friday (outside of my wife/kids). Luckily, I have an office in an external annex at work to where I'm not around many people. After I pick him up and get him situated at home this afternoon, I think I will finally take a break and go to my wife's uncles for a very small St Patty get together (6-7 people total) and have a few beers.

A bunch of my friends were at the bar on Saturday night and were texting me all night to show up. But knowing I had to get my dad today, I refrained. It is a little aggravating, but some things are more important than a night out of drinking.

Last edited by Arles : 03-17-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #1379
Radii
Head Coach

Coronavirus: US hospital uses five months' worth of supplies in six days as shortages hit | The Independent

It's a hospital in Albany, GA that thought it had prepared very well for this. They have about half the current confirmed cases in the state at their hospital. They'll run out of supplies in 6 more days.

Last edited by Radii : 03-17-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #1380
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I wonder if it's for all Italians or just the Chinese in Italy, as per a story about the Chinese government "assistance" a couple of days ago.

China offers Italy medical aid as province donates masks to help overseas Chinese, East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

The story is a bit confusing, though. The first part is how the Chinese government wants to help Italy but there are no specifics. The second part is about how a specific province sent a specified number of masks and medical equipment, specifically for Chinese nationals in Italy (not the best look).

SI

Actually these ones are coming to the US.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #1381
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Something I was thinking about (as an aside), but how much do mass transit systems play into the virus spread? Both Italy and China are almost entirely mass transit. In Phoenix, we have virtually no mass transit systems (just a small light rail around downtown) and I wonder if that's why we don't have it as bad as some other places to this point.

It may be a reason why many parts of the US can avoid the high numbers Italy had. But, on the east coast, you have more mass transit and I wonder if that will make things worse out there.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #1382
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can this idiot stop saying this thing crept up on us. We have known it was coming for some time.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #1383
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

"nobody is going to be more bipartisan than me"

30 seconds later

"I watched the debates, they were horrible, Obama completely screwed up the swine flu"
Old 03-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #1384
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Kentucky derby postponed.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #1385
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Something I was thinking about (as an aside), but how much do mass transit systems play into the virus spread? Both Italy and China are almost entirely mass transit. In Phoenix, we have virtually no mass transit systems (just a small light rail around downtown) and I wonder if that's why we don't have it as bad as some other places to this point.

It may be a reason why many parts of the US can avoid the high numbers Italy had. But, on the east coast, you have more mass transit and I wonder if that will make things worse out there.

This morning on MARTA I was easily able to put the 6 ft of distance in place.

Though I have heard NYC's mass transit the last few days may have spread the virus a bit.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #1386
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Coronavirus: US hospital uses five months' worth of supplies in six days as shortages hit | The Independent

It's a hospital in Albany, GA that thought it had prepared very well for this. They have about half the current confirmed cases in the state at their hospital. They'll run out of supplies in 6 more days.

How can this be? According to United States Coronavirus: 5,723 Cases and 97 Deaths - Worldometer there are only 12 serious or critical cases nationwide. Does this mean that everyone, even when their case is not critical is taking a bed?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #1387
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
How can this be? According to United States Coronavirus: 5,723 Cases and 97 Deaths - Worldometer there are only 12 serious or critical cases nationwide. Does this mean that everyone, even when their case is not critical is taking a bed?

Probably confirmed cases. It's still near impossible to get a test in most of the country. ER doc from New Orleans was on TV the other day talking about how they have some new critical cases that they're sure are coronavirus but haven't been able to test them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #1388
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
No, that source has misleading data if you assume (like I did) serious/critical is the same as treated on intensive care. Apparently they're not the same thing.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #1389
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Woman on my towns local facebook group just asked if anyone knows of any salons that are open because she needs color.

We are all going to die.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #1390
Edward64
Head Coach

Woo hoo. Looks like many of us will be getting freebie $1000 (?) checks.

I do appreciate the thought and would use my $1000 to buy something as a stress relief (new laptop or ipad) but they should figure out who really needs it.

FWIW, just a data point. Local restaurant and Cheesecake factory are open and seating guests.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-17-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #1391
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The best global models have us at 10-20x the number of cases as are reported. We're probably around 50K not 5K right now. However, tests are still so difficult to get so there's no way to know. I have 3 people in the medical profession in my family and they've been seeing cases that look like this for almost 2 months now and they have had no way to test. Looks kindof like the flu but tests negative for flu and strep.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-17-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #1392
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I do appreciate the thought and would use my $1000 to buy something as a stress relief (new laptop or ipad) but they should figure out who really needs it.

Too much delay in getting the money out.

Give everyone a check and then raise taxes on high income earners later in the year to make up for the people who didn't need it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #1393
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The best global models have us at 10-20x the number of cases as are reported. We're probably around 50K not 5K right now. However, tests are still so difficult to get so there's no way to know. I have 3 people in the medical profession in my family and they've been seeing cases that look like this for almost 2 months now and they have had no way to test. Looks kindof like the flu but tests negative for flu and strep.

SI

Makes me wonder about all those vaping deaths though that is going pretty far back.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #1394
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

All NC bars and restaurants are delivery and carry-out only as of 5pm today.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #1395
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Can this idiot stop saying this thing crept up on us. We have known it was coming for some time.
Depends on what people think "some time" is. This particular corona virus was first reported in the USA on January 22nd, roughly 2 weeks before this thread was even started, it just didn't land yet this would be a pandemic.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #1396
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Too much delay in getting the money out.

Give everyone a check and then raise taxes on high income earners later in the year to make up for the people who didn't need it.
What's the threshold of "high" there? As a fairly typical suburban family of four, assuming the market recovers in the next 20ish years, this has been a minor financial windfall:
  • No longer paying $180/mo for drama/gymnastics classes
  • $260 soccer refund
  • Monthly gasoline bill dropping by ~$125/mo
  • $850 refund on school DC trip
  • $700 that had been set aside for trip, place to stay, dog boarding, etc. for a wedding weekend likely freed up
  • Additional harder-to-guess savings from being forced to eat at home more, but probably another $150-$250/mo. (Heck, even just ordering carry-out instead of eating in saves by not getting three drinks that cost 10 bucks total when you include the tip. )
I realize that the DC trip and wedding aren't "typical," but the others seem fairly standard for the middle/upper-middle class, but good luck raising taxes on that crowd.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-19-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #1397
Edward64
Head Coach

Marriott furloughing "tens of thousands" of employees. More furloughs & layoffs to come.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #1398
molson
General Manager

I'm in the midst of getting thousands of dollars of refunds for cancelled trips to Disneyland and Europe in the next 6 weeks. It's an opportunity to both build the emergency fund and be charitable.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #1399
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In NY the hospitalization rate is 19% of confirmed cases.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #1400
PilotMan
Head Coach

We're heading to Hilton Head in less than three weeks and have a house rented there. Unless the owners come back and say they'll refund us the entire rental cost I can't see not going on that trip. We're driving, and going from one house to another house as a family. We don't have any other group events or outings to go to there. I can't see needing to cancel that one, certainly not for the money that's already laid out to go. However, I did posit a hypothetical to my wife, and if the owners did offer to refund, it would be very hard not to turn our money down, in light of current events.

Like Steam?