Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #1351
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Never said anything about the bias of officiating. The calls, or non-calls, have been poor for both teams. I just want some consistency from the refs for a change.

It has been consistently poor the entire series. Better to just finish it out and try to get off to a better start next year. Changing it for game 7 is rather unfair to everybody at this point.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-09-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #1352
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

hehe go bears
Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #1353
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I am still not sure why the Wings are offensively challenged on the road in this series. I am sure the crowd has a little bit to do with it, but seriously....2 + 2 + 1 goals so far in three road games? I never realized Melon arena offered such a huge home ice advantage.

I've been puzzled by this as well. I would need to count it to verify, but it seems the Wings play more of a dump and chase game on the road to get the matchups they want. At home, they tend to carry the puck through the neutral zone and across the blue line as they get the last change and don't have to be swapping out defense pairs and getting certain lines on the ice.

I can't see Detroit losing at home on Friday night. MAF could prove me wrong, but I don't see him as a game 7 Stanley Cup winning goalie right now, especially on the road.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #1354
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Moose!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #1355
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I've been puzzled by this as well. I would need to count it to verify, but it seems the Wings play more of a dump and chase game on the road to get the matchups they want. At home, they tend to carry the puck through the neutral zone and across the blue line as they get the last change and don't have to be swapping out defense pairs and getting certain lines on the ice.

This is exactly what they do. From what I've seen, the last change is why every team has won their home ice games in this series. Which is why I have little fear of the outcome on Friday. There's only so much you can do to alter match-ups on the road, and I fully expect the Wings to pretty much shut down Crosby and Malkin at the Joe and come away with the victory.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #1356
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
This is exactly what they do. From what I've seen, the last change is why every team has won their home ice games in this series. Which is why I have little fear of the outcome on Friday. There's only so much you can do to alter match-ups on the road, and I fully expect the Wings to pretty much shut down Crosby and Malkin at the Joe and come away with the victory.

I agree. I would have thought that with both Daysuk and Zetterberg, however, favorable matchups for Detroit would have been somewhat more possible. With that being said, the dump and chase junk they have done on the road this year has been mind-numbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #1357
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
IWith that being said, the dump and chase junk they have done on the road this year has been mind-numbing.

Hey, dump and chase got the Hurricanes all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals!

That's pretty much their standard tactic all the time...
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #1358
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Hey, dump and chase got the Hurricanes all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals!

That's pretty much their standard tactic all the time...

Nothing against the Canes, but the Wings have not played that style of hockey in a long, long time. This is why it is particularly frustrating to see it in the SCF...

Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #1359
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nothing against the Canes, but the Wings have not played that style of hockey in a long, long time. This is why it is particularly frustrating to see it in the SCF...

Forgot the smiley, it's one of the frustrating things about the Canes is watching them throw the puck in the end and pray...
Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #1360
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Forgot the smiley, it's one of the frustrating things about the Canes is watching them throw the puck in the end and pray...

I find that interesting, because Staal and Wesley and Cole and Samsonov seem to be good enough to do more than dump it in and pray...

Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #1361
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I find that interesting, because Staal and Wesley and Cole and Samsonov seem to be good enough to do more than dump it in and pray...

*checks calendar....2009 still*

Assuming this is Whitney
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #1362
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

*checks calendar....2009 still*

Assuming this is Whitney

errr...yeah Whitney

Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1363
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Fleury is the key to game 7. Osgood you know what you can expect mostly- very solid behind a fantastic team in front of him.

Which Fleury is showing up? Beyond the selfish reasons of wanting the Pens to win, this kid takes enormous amounts of abuse, as a 24 year old, for crumbling (some of which is on him). Would be nice to see him vindicated.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #1364
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Fleury is the key to game 7. Osgood you know what you can expect mostly- very solid behind a fantastic team in front of him.

Which Fleury is showing up? Beyond the selfish reasons of wanting the Pens to win, this kid takes enormous amounts of abuse, as a 24 year old, for crumbling (some of which is on him). Would be nice to see him vindicated.

I agree that Fleury is the key. He showed in Game 5 last year and in some moments last night he can steal a game.

As for vindication, he's only 24. He's got years and years to work on being vindicated, Chris Osgood is 36 and his time is about due, no?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #1365
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree that Fleury is the key. He showed in Game 5 last year and in some moments last night he can steal a game.

As for vindication, he's only 24. He's got years and years to work on being vindicated, Chris Osgood is 36 and his time is about due, no?

If the Wings lose, Osgood still has his 2 cups to help him get over it.

Fleury is 2nd to only whoever the Steelers QB is at any given minute as the most vilified person in Pittsburgh.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #1366
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If the Wings lose, Osgood still has his 2 cups to help him get over it.

You'd think that'd be the case, but for whatever reason, it's not. The people love to complain about Chris Osgood. All of the people. He's really the one Red Wing who, I think, would finally get his due if things work out for the best on Friday.

Quote:
Fleury is 2nd to only whoever the Steelers QB is at any given minute as the most vilified person in Pittsburgh.

Are you referring to two time Super Bowl winning quarterback Ben Roethlisberger? You people have high standards.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #1367
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You'd think that'd be the case, but for whatever reason, it's not. The people love to complain about Chris Osgood. All of the people. He's really the one Red Wing who, I think, would finally get his due if things work out for the best on Friday.

For real? I'm not buying it. He has been the starting goaltender for 2 cup victories. Anybody who needs him to pull out a third to get respect is a fool.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #1368
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
For real? I'm not buying it. He has been the starting goaltender for 2 cup victories. Anybody who needs him to pull out a third to get respect is a fool.

You've never been to Detroit then.

There's a hierarchy here as far as athletes that get blasted:

1. Osgood
2. Brandon Inge
3. Tayshaun prince
4. Matt Stafford (Already, but wait till he actually plays, Ozzy will get some relief)

Frankly, I don't like Prince, and Inge I can tolerate now that he seems to bitch less, and you know, produces, but Ozzy gets a bad rap and it isn't hos fault. Forever there has been so much talent that isn't can't possibly be anyone elses fault but the goalies. He has some huge balls though because he never let it bother him and he just keeps producing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1369
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Are you referring to two time Super Bowl winning quarterback Ben Roethlisberger? You people have high standards.

ya he is. People in pittsburgh are stupid with Roethlisberger. Its all his fault when they loose, and he doesnt share in the glory when they win. Really unfair, but hey its pittsburgh.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #1370
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

dola

have to give a here.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #1371
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I'm surprised by this reaction. I don't think this perception is limited to Detroit. I thought that the general perception was that the Wings won those Cups inspite of Osgood not because of him and that he's just a meidocare goalie who happens to play for a good team. Every year that Osgood has been the starter (including this one, by the way), goaltending is always, always raised as the Wings primary concern.

Read some press, Detroit, national, whatever and you'll see this is the general perception of the guy.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #1372
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
You've never been to Detroit then.

There's a hierarchy here as far as athletes that get blasted:

1. Osgood
2. Brandon Inge
3. Tayshaun prince
4. Matt Stafford (Already, but wait till he actually plays, Ozzy will get some relief)

Frankly, I don't like Prince, and Inge I can tolerate now that he seems to bitch less, and you know, produces, but Ozzy gets a bad rap and it isn't hos fault. Forever there has been so much talent that isn't can't possibly be anyone elses fault but the goalies. He has some huge balls though because he never let it bother him and he just keeps producing.

If he has to win a third Cup (as the starter), then even that won't be enough. No point in worrying about getting the approval of people with that mindset.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #1373
DeToxRox
Head Coach

From the totally irrational but my feeling is the Pens win Friday for the simple fact that the away teams has to win once, no? Obviously it's stupid but I could see it.

Frankly I'd like to see Dats, if healthy, center Hossa and Holmer, and reunited Z, Cleary and Franzen.

Then have Flip, Sammy and Helm, and Draper, Hudler and Malts.

Also, HB, are you as surprised as me people are putting up a stink that if we brought back Hossa we'd lose Huds? It's obvious Babcock does not trust him and his ice team continues to shrink. At this point I don't see why, even if we brought Hossa back, we'd retain him at the price of 3 mil or so a season. He scores goals but Babs isn't going to play him when it matters so I just don't see the point.

I'd rather not even sign Hossa now and just go make a run at Bouwmeester. Give the forward minutes to Helmer, Leino and maybe Abdelkader though he probably needs one more year in the A.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #1374
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm surprised by this reaction. I don't think this perception is limited to Detroit. I thought that the general perception was that the Wings won those Cups inspite of Osgood not because of him and that he's just a meidocare goalie who happens to play for a good team. Every year that Osgood has been the starter (including this one, by the way), goaltending is always, always raised as the Wings primary concern.

Read some press, Detroit, national, whatever and you'll see this is the general perception of the guy.

Hmmm...

I've seen the stats. 2.12 GAA and .918 save % for his first run as starter. 1.55 GAA and .930 save % for the second. In spite of Osgood? Only for dumbasses.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #1375
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
ya he is. People in pittsburgh are stupid

you could've stopped right there...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #1376
unisol_us
n00b

The key to the win Fri is pretty simple. The Pens must continue to punish the Wings with the body. If the Wings get into the skating game and puck possession game they play so well at home MAF is going to look bad again. If the Pens can take the body hard the finesse game of the Wings will be ruined. Even if Pittsburgh can grind it out I think they will only win by one. Man can't wait.
unisol_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #1377
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
you could've stopped right there...

honestly it took me leaving for a bit to see how how bad it can be with football there. I thought it was "normal", naaaaaa not even close.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #1378
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
From the totally irrational but my feeling is the Pens win Friday for the simple fact that the away teams has to win once, no? Obviously it's stupid but I could see it.

Frankly I'd like to see Dats, if healthy, center Hossa and Holmer, and reunited Z, Cleary and Franzen.

Then have Flip, Sammy and Helm, and Draper, Hudler and Malts.

Also, HB, are you as surprised as me people are putting up a stink that if we brought back Hossa we'd lose Huds? It's obvious Babcock does not trust him and his ice team continues to shrink. At this point I don't see why, even if we brought Hossa back, we'd retain him at the price of 3 mil or so a season. He scores goals but Babs isn't going to play him when it matters so I just don't see the point.

I'd rather not even sign Hossa now and just go make a run at Bouwmeester. Give the forward minutes to Helmer, Leino and maybe Abdelkader though he probably needs one more year in the A.

I agree on the line combos. The current ones haven't generated too much 5-on-5 offense over the last two games. Holmstrom has looked completely lost out there. Hossa could definitely use a boost of something.

Hudler just hasn't been the same since he got hit by Mike Brown. He's been nearly invisible. I like him, but I really don't think he'd be worth keeping at $3 million. It will be really interesting to see what happens with him regardless of whether the Wings try to keep Hossa (which I don't think will happen).
Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #1379
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Hmmm...

I've seen the stats. 2.12 GAA and .918 save % for his first run as starter. 1.55 GAA and .930 save % for the second. In spite of Osgood? Only for dumbasses.

You're preaching to the choir. That said, nobody ever claimed the world wasn't full of dumbasses.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #1380
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I agree that this seems to be the national perception of Osgood.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #1381
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not just limited to Ben, but obviously him right now.

I was at a Steelers - Bengals game about 6-7 years ago. This was during the Tommy Maddox era. Maddox threw an interception, got tied up with someone on the return, and limps off the field.

Next series, Charlie Batch comes in. He hadn't just thrown an int, so he's obviously better. 1 completion...3 straight...5 straight...7 straight. Crowd going nuts, Batch leading them down the field as halftime nears.

Next throw...picked. "Get him outta there...he stinks...get Maddox back in there!!!!"

That is how quickly the backup is a superior option to the starter.

Sorry to threadjack, we now return you to your regularly scheduled NHL playoffs thread...
Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #1382
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How about last year when the Eagles were beating the piss out of Ben cause his line sucked...Ben went out Leftwich came in and drove the Steelers down for a score. The next day people were calling for Leftwich to start.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #1383
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

He didn't help himself with an awful regular season this year.

I think alot of the perception is based on him leaving Detroit, and stinking it up on Long Island. Which anyone in that same situation would have seen the same drop in stats, so it was easy to point at him as a product of the system.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #1384
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
How about last year when the Eagles were beating the piss out of Ben cause his line sucked...Ben went out Leftwich came in and drove the Steelers down for a score. The next day people were calling for Leftwich to start.

And the Monday night game vs the Redskins, when Leftwich came in during the 2nd qtr
Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #1385
bbor
Pro Starter

BTW...did anyone notice that the Flyers have solved their goaltending problems by signing Ray Emory?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #1386
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

By solved, you mean found someone so crazy people will think of him as the next Hextall, right?

Also, Petr Sykora, who got back into the lineup last night after after sitting out 4 straight, was seen leaving the arena on crutches today. It's believed to be a broken foot, suffered while blocking a shot from Brett Lebda.

Most likely, Satan regains his spot after missing one game.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #1387
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
BTW...did anyone notice that the Flyers have solved their goaltending problems by signing Ray Emory?

I am on the fence with this signing. The Flyers don't have much cap room and they need to sign 2 goalies and a defenseman. Emery comes with a price tag of $1.5 million for 1 year. They aren't investing much in him and if he acts up they can just cut ties and not really worry about losing money long term.

There is hope that Emery will shape up. Yea I know it could be a losing battle, but I guess the playing conditions of the KHL are way worse than the NHL. So he might have some incentive to behave.

Exclusive: Emery Had to Rough It in Russia

They can't afford to keep Biron, he wants something around $4 million per for 4 or 5 years. I like Biron and do not blame either years playoff losses on him. But he is not worth that much for how inconsistent he is during the regular season.

I know all about his bad attitude and that mixed with Philly is a lot of the times a volatile mixture. I think it is a calculated risk. One of the Flyers management guys Peter Lukko has kept in contact with Emery a lot of last season, it isn't something they are just jumping into.

And when you look at the other potential FAs for goalies, what they will demand for how good they are...the return isn't really that positive.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #1388
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I agree on the line combos. The current ones haven't generated too much 5-on-5 offense over the last two games. Holmstrom has looked completely lost out there. Hossa could definitely use a boost of something.

Hudler just hasn't been the same since he got hit by Mike Brown. He's been nearly invisible. I like him, but I really don't think he'd be worth keeping at $3 million. It will be really interesting to see what happens with him regardless of whether the Wings try to keep Hossa (which I don't think will happen).

I am actually retracting what I said earlier this week about Hossa. While he has fit in pretty well with the Wings, and had a good regular season, he has not looked good in the playoffs, especially in the finals. Unless he signs for significantly less than market value, I would keep Hudler and let Hossa walk.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #1389
bbor
Pro Starter

I'd like to know where Biron thinks he is going to get that kinda money?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #1390
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

KHL?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #1391
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Apparently there are rumblings that Nylander could go to the KHL. The Caps couldn't possibly be so lucky.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #1392
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I agree...but that's what his agent is asking.

But Huet did get a lot of money last year.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 06-11-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #1393
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This sandwich/BBQ place is about 5 mins from me. Billy Guerin must have visited recently-

sak, do you know where this place is-- 51 South, heading out of town.

Should this be added to the "thread for images so cool they belong in this thread"?

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-11-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #1394
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quality

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #1395
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Who's the swedish player holding the sign?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #1396
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Who's the swedish player holding the sign?

Victor Hedman- that's the new strength test at the combine.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #1397
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Alright kids, it's almost game time on NBC.

SI

Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1398
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Last game till October...I hope it's a good one.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #1399
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You know I'm all about Detroit losin-- err Pittsburgh winning but what I really want to see is one hell of an exciting game with great goaltending but something like 2-2 going into OT because of amazing goals by the skill players. There are a lot of people watching this game who wouldn't normally and it'd be great to give them one hell of a show

SI

Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #1400
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with everything except your out come SI.