Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #1401
molson
General Manager

My favorite Santino line of the night:

"There will be no Steve Austin here tonight. There will be no JR reaching the point of orgasm".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #1402
molson
General Manager

The WWE has finally cut loose Chris Masters, just a couple of days into his "second" suspension (though I've read he's actually failed 4 or 5 wellness tests).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #1403
thesloppy
Pro Starter

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #1404
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

kitty wrestling!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #1405
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not all that thrilled with some of the storylines but I will say that I kind of like the new pacing for Impact. The first segment tonight almost has an old ECW feel to it, including the camera angle & feel of the Christian interview in the second segment.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #1406
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just over 2 years ago, wrestling's downturn began.

Hope you're up there in heaven, Eddy.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #1407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

"Hornswoggle spits in the face of people who are not cool"
Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #1408
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Carlito on the way out of WWE it appears. He apparently asked for his release and losing to 'Swoggle will probably prove that to be true.

But who cares?

Almost time for Y2j!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #1409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #1410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh heh heh

"... your SuperCuts haircut & your subscription to Blue Ball Magazine"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-19-2007 at 10:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #1411
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Classic Y2J right there
Old 11-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #1412
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVAR!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #1413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm kind of disappointed to see that the clip on wwe.com is edited. We lost the best part of the list we're being saved from (guess the magazine crack wasn't considered kid friendly).
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #1414
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

It was great to see Jericho back - well 80% of him anyway - but that was seriously the most anti-climactic segment ever. I think everyone pretty much knew beforehand what should happen when Jericho returned:

Heel cuts a promo in the ring
Rediculously long Titantron video
Copiuos amounts of pyro
Jehrico comes out and insults the heel
People cheer

Yawn.

They had how many years to come up with something and *that* was the best they could do?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #1415
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
It was great to see Jericho back - well 80% of him anyway - but that was seriously the most anti-climactic segment ever. I think everyone pretty much knew beforehand what should happen when Jericho returned:

Heel cuts a promo in the ring
Rediculously long Titantron video
Copiuos amounts of pyro
Jehrico comes out and insults the heel
People cheer

Yawn.

They had how many years to come up with something and *that* was the best they could do?

agreed, whole heartedly and Im a Jericho mark.

It seemed his character is going to be a little more "Sexual?" or something like that? I dunno, there were few head scratching moments. Im hoping it was just rust but he seemed to be really overly-done to me.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #1416
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
It was great to see Jericho back ... but that was seriously the most anti-climactic segment ever. They had how many years to come up with something and *that* was the best they could do?

I think you bring up the thing that bothers me most about this situation:
last night was most likely the highlight of the whole return.

He might have a great match (or several), he might cut killer promos left & right, but I don't believe any of them will have the sense of excitement that came with the anticipation last night.

Should be a ratings spike for the last hour last night, probably get another boost next week from whatever casual fans didn't know he was coming back/didn't know it was last night, but after that I'm not sure that there will be much in the way of a "Jericho Effect". Truth is, I don't think there's anybody who could do that right now other than maybe Rock.

Meanwhile Flasch said
Quote:
It seemed his character is going to be a little more "Sexual?" or something like that? I dunno, there were few head scratching moments. Im hoping it was just rust but he seemed to be really overly-done to me.

I think there was always a certain amount of the hair-band bad boy that went with the character. Even when it's not blatant it's always been a strong influence on his mic work. Best example last night (other than the outfit) was the pronunciation of the word "again". That was just CJ channeling Dickinson/Halford/Lemmy. And he's spent a lot of his time off working on his music, so I expect those influences to be even more obvious now even if it isn't entirely intentional

I think the most, I dunno, "disturbing" thing for me last night was how much I thought his build resembled Benoit, especially his arms. That look, plus knowing that HBK used a crossface Sunday night, just all struck me a little uncomfortable. It was distracting I guess is the word I'm looking for.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-20-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #1417
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think you bring up the thing that bothers me most about this situation:
last night was most likely the highlight of the whole return.
I tend to disagree, since last night was such a let-down in some ways, I'd expect Jericho to be capable of busting out a 4-4.5 star match down the road. That would be the highlight to me, but in 5 years, people will most likely still only remember the promo.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #1418
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I read the Sean Waltman interview over on the Torch a few weeks ago, and they touch on Jericho's first run in the WWE which was very very interesting. Waltman's take was that Jericho wasn't used to the WWE "style" which led to Jericho not really getting over in the ring both to the fans or backstage. It really frustrated him, but after a few months he got a better idea of how the WWE paces a match psychologically, and he started to have better matches.

Keller disagreed to a point, because when Jericho came over, he was known mostly for a series of very good matches in WCW with Mysterio, Malenko, etc. The key difference being the expectations of what a good match is in WCW and WWE.

Stll, Jericho has a handful of moves that haven't been co-opted in the WWE yet (lionsault, springboard dropkick to the apron, face crusher, and the Boston crab) so his wrestling should still be "fresh".

And that's what I'm looking forward to, his run in the ring. I can do without a bunch of promos for now.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #1419
molson
General Manager

There's no way Jericho can live up to the hype the internet has put on him over the last few months. I mean, I'm glad he's back, the roster definitely needs some fresh bodies, but Jericho has never really worked as a WWE main eventer (with the possible exception of his last heel run against Cena).

And he looked - weird to me last night. A combination of being two years older, the haircut, and his build looked odd. Late 30s Jericho needs to look and be booked differently than Mid 20s Jericho.

He's never worked well in a WWE ring to me because his offense is so soft. He's a good wrestler, and can be exciting against the right opponents, but compared to others in the WWE, it always kind of looks like he's prancing or tip-toing around the ring. His high impact stuff doesn't have much impact.

I've always saw him as a guy who can bring energy to the upper-midcard, but putting the hopes of the company behind him is a bad idea. This run will be a dissapointment, and as usual, the response will be that the "WWE didn't use him right".
Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #1420
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

When did Jericho become gay? What the hell is with the hair and vest?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #1421
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
When did Jericho become gay? What the hell is with the hair and vest?

The whole look was disturbing.

It's kind of like HBK - a good looking guy in his 20s can get away with over the top gay antics to some extent in a way a guy in his 30s just can't. HBK still gets away with it for some reason, though he's unique. (But can you imagine someone watching wrestling for the 1st time and seeing this balding, 42-year old guy prance to the ring?).

Jericho, on the other hand, desperately needs a new look, (or a full heel turn where he could gay out all he wants).
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #1422
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

That's how they blew it, the hype was good - the entrance itsself was memorable but once I actually saw Jericho - I was thinking damn this guy needs a new look and he's JUST redeubted. Then he talked, and then I'm thinking damn, this guy is still using stuff from 1999 and again, he JUST redeubted.

He wasn't funny, he was awkward. Child bearing hips? super-cuts? (with his hair looking like he cut it himself) amongst other lines. It felt like a TNA debut where they go back 5 years on a guys personality so they can use his WWE persona.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #1423
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I gotta say, Y2J is starting to seem a little odd in 2007. There are kids watching wrestling now that probably don't even know what Y2K was...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #1424
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My wife asked as I watched the intro again this morning, "When did Jon Bon Jovi become a wrestler?"
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #1425
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I gotta say, Y2J is starting to seem a little odd in 2007. There are kids watching wrestling now that probably don't even know what Y2K was...

i havent watched raw in about 6 weeks, but tuned in for the last 15 minutes last night to see the return, and the whole time, all i was thinking (other than "who the hell wears a 5 foot watch chain") was "its 2007...you couldnt come up with a new line in 8 years?"...the ever bit and the raw is jericho bit were fine, but Y2J needs to go
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #1426
DeToxRox
Head Coach

WWE makes a great move by putting Shelton Benjamin on ECW and giving him Elijah Burke as his hype man. Burke is great on the mic and with Benjamin's in ring abilities, he may finally catch on.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #1427
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Me ... want ... title ... match.

Heh heh.

But I wonder if they paid CTW for that Cookie Monster picture.

And, hate to admit it, but Santino's "KYJ" riff wasn't bad.

but the end of the segment was awfully doggoned random.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-26-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #1428
Schmidty
Coordinator

Just watched RAW.

Not much to say, other than the fact that Orton is horrifically boring, Umaga is even more boring, and Jericho is just as lame and boring as ever. A hundred wrestlers have done Jericho's schtick, and 85% of them have done it much, much better. BLECH.

Can't wait until Cena gets back. Love him or hate him, at least he (along with HHH, Michaels, Morella, etc.) has charisma and a personality.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #1429
Schmidty
Coordinator

Oh, and when are these dipshits going to realize that "Damn" isn't remotely funny anymore?

Oh wait, 80% of the idiots in the crowd still say "What" after every pause, even though it hasn't been funny since....ever. Guess we're stuck with repitive, uncreative crap until some competition comes along. Too bad TNA is a giant pile of shit.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #1430
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay Schmidty, "Damn" bothers you enough to comment on it but a spray painted door on the wall for a leprechaun to run through isn't something worth even a quick mention?

And as for "What", consider who is in the crowd at a live WWE event (or not, since they apparently only drew 1500 people in Greenville, SC). And then consider that my 9 y/o occasionally uses "What" on me for a quick laugh for himself from time to time. Put those together & suddenly it's lingering appeal makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-28-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #1431
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay Schmidty, "Damn" bothers you enough to comment on it but a spray painted door on the wall for a leprechaun to run through isn't something worth even a quick mention?

And as for "What", consider who is in the crowd at a live WWE event (or not, since they apparently only drew 1500 people in Greenville, SC). And then consider that my 9 y/o occasionally uses "What" on me for a quick laugh for himself from time to time. Put those together & suddenly it's lingering appeal makes a lot more sense.

The door was dumb too, but at least it hasn't been repeated ad nauseum.

As far as "what", it was funny for a bit after Stone Cold did it, but now it's just disruptive and irritating. I understand that it appeals to kids and stuff (if I was under 12, I'd likely do it too), but it still annoys me. It just feels like a forced fad trying to become a tradition, and it ain't working.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #1432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
It just feels like a forced fad trying to become a tradition, and it ain't working.

I really hate to break it to you, but I think it's already worked. It's not to the level of the iconic response to a chop to the chest, but it's niche is pretty well established. I've heard it at too many indy shows to believe it hasn't taken hold.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #1433
Calis
College Starter

So I have this on again off again deal with wrestling. I can't stand the WWE presently and TNA is pretty bad as well but occasional has a match that I'll watch, but I usually end up going back and watching old stuff over again. Anyway, for my birthday this year I ended up getting several "shoot" DVD's which I didn't even realize were that big.

Anyway, I've been spending the last few days ripping the audio out of them and listening to them at work or when I go exercise and some of them are pretty interesting. I have a series of 3 with Bobby Heenan/Jim Cornette that have some great stuff, and mentioned Mantaur which I had managed to completely block out of my memory, but I got a laugh out of that. Anyway, pretty funny stuff.

I've started listening to one by the Iron Sheik which I thought might be interesting because the guy is crazy as hell and seems to have no ability to differentiate his character from real life, and it's amusing but moreso because it's so painful. He's obviously either punch drunk or just stoned out of his mind, and I believe 95% of what he is saying is complete crap but it's funny to hear nonetheless.

Tomorrow night is probably going to end up being the first wrestling PPV I've ordered since I think the last old school ECW one. I'm really considering picking up the Ring of Honor one, as it looks pretty solid and I'm interested in seeing the Briscoes in a ladder match. I'm still pretty amazed with the Briscoes. I only watch RoH sporadically so I saw them when they were really green and they've made such improvements in a short amount of time it's pretty staggering. They're still green in some respects, but they're incredibly young and they seem to have this ability to just completely take over a show, and you can't even piece together why. I don't particularly love them, and you're not usually wow'ed by them, but their matches always seem to stick out. I don't know how to explain it, but I enjoy seeing some legitimate tag teams, and not just throwing together a couple of low carders for the heck of it.

So I might just grab it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #1434
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a tiny trivial bit from last night's Raw. NWA-Anarchy workers played the roles for Kennedy's trip down memory lane for HBK.

TJ Mack = Jannetty
Phil Shatter = Razor
Mikal Judas = Diesel
Jeff Lewis = HBK

Small but nice opportunity for those guys -- even if it doesn't land them a job, you know it's got to be fun just to do the spot -- and really a great situation for Anarchy workers who regularly get chances to do little gigs for both TNA and the WWE.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #1435
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well that was unexpected (RVD just kicked Santino's ass).
Later tonight, it's Marty Jannetty vs Kennedy.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #1436
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Just a tiny trivial bit from last night's Raw. NWA-Anarchy workers played the roles for Kennedy's trip down memory lane for HBK.

TJ Mack = Jannetty
Phil Shatter = Razor
Mikal Judas = Diesel
Jeff Lewis = HBK

Small but nice opportunity for those guys -- even if it doesn't land them a job, you know it's got to be fun just to do the spot -- and really a great situation for Anarchy workers who regularly get chances to do little gigs for both TNA and the WWE.

Jeff Lewis was very good - he did his homework.

Fun show so far tonight. I wonder if the biggest surprise is yet to come.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #1437
Joe
Pro Starter

did Ahmed Johnson come out yet?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #1438
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Jeff Lewis was very good - he did his homework.

Although his Anarchy gimmick(s) haven't really showcased it, I've always thought he had a very expressive face that can play a pretty good range from comedy to downright psycho.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #1439
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
did Ahmed Johnson come out yet?

I missed the first little bit of the show so I'm not sure but I don't believe he has.

Actually I've kind of been surprised by the limited number of guests so far (not so much limited, just not the straight nostalgia show I was kind of expecting)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #1440
molson
General Manager

There's a few more bizarre names I've heard have signed on but I won't spoil them.

But if you missed the beginning, you missed Bastian Booger, Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz and Sunny.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #1441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In that case (if that was the first segment) then I saw most of it. We flipped it on as Vince was explaining when/why/how he slept with someone (Mae Young maybe?)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #1442
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, who is/was Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #1443
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Ok, who is/was Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz?

Played by Brooklyn Brawler/Steve Lombardi. I think he used for a couple of weeks during the '94 baseball strike.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #1444
rjolley
College Starter

Ah. So why wasn't he Brooklyn Brawler? Doesn't have the rights to the name?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #1445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hey Hulkster, let's promo that new NBC show American Gladiators on USA Network ... owned by NBC Universal, so it's cool

15 man battle royal coming up next, including: Al Snow, Bart Gunn, Doink, Repo Man, Steve Blackman, Pete Gas, Bob Backlund ... and others to be introduced after this break.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #1446
molson
General Manager

Quote:

For tonight's purposes, Schwartz is just more obscure and ridiculous. The WWE has dusted off the Brooklyn Brawler now and then over the years.

Definitely didn't expect to see Bob Backlund.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #1447
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

damn, Blackman looks like he could go a fifteen minute match now.

And Scotty 2 Hotty looks like.. well.. he's more flamboyant then ever. Let's just leave it there.

The Anvil!

GILLBERG! *laughs*

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-10-2007 at 08:51 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #1448
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nah, BB was a Vince creation.

Presumably the decision was made in order to set up Trips joke about "the Brooklyn Brawler apparently not being available tonight".
Old 12-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #1449
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gangrel, Scotty 2 Hotty, ... who was the black dude I just got a glimpse of ... never mind, that's Flash Funk. And Steve "Skinner" Keirn. Jim Neidhardt. And Sgt Slaughter ... and a frightening Gillberg (that is Duane Gill, right?)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #1450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Woot ! I.R.S. (aka Rotundo) wins the BR but Ted DiBiase shows up to prove every man has his price.