Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #14801
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In terms of foreign policy, the President is damn near a king, and in the post-WW2 era, the same is almost true in terms of military deployment. It's really a debate as to whether and when members of the executive branch should refuse an order from the President. As much as I loath Trump, it isn't a good idea at all to establish a norm of ignoring the President. That's the position the citizens vote for and can hold accountable.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #14802
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

And now Trump orders 7000 troops from Afghanistan.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #14803
PilotMan
Head Coach

Gotta be fake news corbes, gotta be that nasty, no good, failing fake news that can't find a nice thing to say about the greatest president ever.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #14804
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Between the prison reform, pulling out of trade agreements, and removal of forces from international conflict, if universal healthcare somehow passes on his watch (which doesn't seem entirely ludicrous, considering his process) he'll be much closer to practically delivering on the Green Party's platform, than any of his campaign promises. These are fascinating, terrifying times.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #14805
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

5.5 billion pledge by the house....ugh. for a stupid wall which is only a political tool. It's a guarantee they are going to try to funnel that money into their pockets and later claim that it was "underfunded".

Stupider than Star Wars this is
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #14806
Edward64
Head Coach

Yay lame duck House.

Let's hope this shutdown does not last too long.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...border-n950666
Quote:
The House passed a stopgap measure Thursday night to fund the government that includes $5 billion for a border wall sought by President Donald Trump. The bill is expected to be rejected in the Senate, and does little to prevent a shutdown on Saturday.

The vote of 217 to 185 on Thursday night puts the House at odds with the Senate, which on Wednesday night passed a funding bill that does not include border wall money.

The Senate will now have to consider the House version before midnight Friday to avert a partial government shutdown, and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., signaled to members to be ready for a possible vote on Friday at noon.

Democrats, however, will most certainly block the measure in the Senate. With 60 votes needed to advance an appropriations bill to a final vote, Republican senators need Democratic votes to make it over that threshold.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #14807
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Markets took another bath today. Don't look at your retirement accounts if you want a nice holiday.

Too.damn.late
Old 12-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #14808
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I'm thinking it'll be tomorrow, unless he watches TV tonight. He won't understand how harsh Mattis's letter is until the talking heads say it.
Or perhaps he'll be too fixated on the wall to think about Mattis. 10 tweets already this morning, all about the wall.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #14809
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm so old, I remember when trump said he was going to take responsibility for a shutdown.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #14810
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is a complete pipe dream, but I would love it if in 2019, the media stopped taking anonymous quotes from "senior administration officials."

We get it. Lots of people on the inside not related to Trump think he's crazy. Taking yet another anonymous quote saying that tells us nothing. Make them put their name on the record or you don't report it.

It actively harms the country at this point to give these people the illusion that they are doing something good by continuing to work for the administration and throwing out the occasional "It's really fucked up in here" to a NYT reporter so they can sleep at night.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #14811
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Or perhaps he'll be too fixated on the wall to think about Mattis. 10 tweets already this morning, all about the wall.

Somebody really wants to get to Mar-A-Lago
Old 12-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #14812
Ben E Lou

I texted a good friend of mine who happens to have served as an officer in the marines under Mattis's command to get his thoughts. He is a registered Republican. Here's his response:

Quote:
He has done what we were all taught we may have to do. If we can't reconcile our moral position with that of our senior, it's time to resign. Having served under Mattis personally, I can attest that all the rumor of his greatness of character is nothing short of the mark. As a result...this resignation is deeply concerning, man. Trump is a moron who seems intent on surrounding himself with the like. Damn unfortunate.

Pray for us. The hasty pull from Syria will likely have deadly, long-term consequences for that part of the world as well as America's future national security.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #14813
bronconick
College Starter

McConnell doesn't take the bait, won't invoke nuclear option for a 2 month continuation.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #14814
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
McConnell doesn't take the bait, won't invoke nuclear option for a 2 month continuation.

That was never an option. McConnel will destroy everything in subservience to Trump. Unless it is something he actually cares about.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #14815
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chuck Schumer is my fucking hero
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #14816
kingfc22
Head Coach

So for the umpteenth time over the past 2 years, is this finally going to be the moment(s)/week where the R's start to separate themselves from the Trump party?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #14817
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't dive as deep in to this stuff as a lot of you, but Schumer really threw down the gauntlet there, and I can not wait to see how Trump responds.

I was watching on Fox News at my in Laws, it is all my mother in law ever has on. They are a disgrace. Right after Schumer ends they pan away and go right to discussing Mattis again, not one word about how Schumer just eviscerated Trump.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #14818
kingfc22
Head Coach

McConnell doing his best Trump impersonation right now
Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #14819
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So for the umpteenth time over the past 2 years, is this finally going to be the moment(s)/week where the R's start to separate themselves from the Trump party?
We'll never know. Just announced that RBG has cancer. Nothing like a "SUPREME COURT" reminder at a critical point to bring the Rs back in lockstep with teh Donald.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #14820
bob
College Starter

Stupid question, but it is even possible to have a clean withdrawal from the middle east? Its weird to me to see people that were screaming to end these wars now screaming about this withdrawal. I'm not smart enough to know the best approach here, and it seems Trump is doing this against advisors, but what can we do beyond 1) stay forever or 2) pull out completely. What does another 6 months, 5 years, or 20 years change?

Last edited by bob : 12-21-2018 at 12:12 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #14821
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm in favor of withdrawing a lot of our troops, but there has to be a process. For all Obama was slammed about pulling out of Iraq, he did it the right way, plans were made and allies were consulted. It wasn't just announced one day while both the DoD and allies were scrambling to figure out what the announcement meant.

And we shouldn't forget that this has the stink of a deal with Russia and/or Turkey all over it and Mattis implied as much in his letter.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #14822
bronconick
College Starter

Syria has been a Russian client state for over a half century. I don't really care all that much what goes on there.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #14823
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm in favor of withdrawing a lot of our troops, but there has to be a process. For all Obama was slammed about pulling out of Iraq, he did it the right way, plans were made and allies were consulted. It wasn't just announced one day while both the DoD and allies were scrambling to figure out what the announcement meant.

And we shouldn't forget that this has the stink of a deal with Russia and/or Turkey all over it and Mattis implied as much in his letter.

Yep. You need to have an orderly process here. Or else you just end up confusing everyone and creating a vacuum that wasn't adequately planned for.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #14824
RainMaker
General Manager

Markets down big again. Going to end up being a rough year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #14825
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Markets down big again. Going to end up being a rough year.

Yeah its depressing to get a paycheck after two weeks of work only to go home and realize you lost more in the market that day.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #14826
miked
College Starter

Shocking, NC begged the feds the investigate actual large scale voter fraud that affected elections and they ignored. Instead focusing on potentially 10 people or so out of millions that may have voted.

North Carolina asked feds to open vote fraud case last year
Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #14827
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We'll never know. Just announced that RBG has cancer. Nothing like a "SUPREME COURT" reminder at a critical point to bring the Rs back in lockstep with teh Donald.

Ironic that everyone (evil-ish) was hoping her fall might bring about her rapid demise and it may have saved her life as far as finding the cancer.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #14828
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Shocking, NC begged the feds the investigate actual large scale voter fraud that affected elections and they ignored. Instead focusing on potentially 10 people or so out of millions that may have voted.

North Carolina asked feds to open vote fraud case last year
It's great. The Dems want to re-run the election, the Republicans want to do it with primaries (so they can get rid of the tainted Harris), and everything is getting delayed and pushed until after new legislatures come in. So basically Charlotte will be the new DC & have no representative in the US House for 6-10 months next year.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #14829
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In earlier times a President meeting with his unconfirmed AG to discuss a case directly implicating the President might be cause enough for impeachment.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #14830
Atocep
Coordinator

So for entertainment purposes I'm on the Trump campaign email list. I have to say it rarely lets me down. This wall and shutdown have been gold as far as campaign emails go.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #14831
Thomkal
Head Coach

Boy are you a glutton for punishment Atocep.

In other news, that country-owned company that was involved in that mysterious sealed courtroom a couple weeks ago, has lost its appeals at the lower courts, and have now appealed to the Supreme Court. If the Supremes hear it, it would be the first case where they would review (hear arguments, etc) in a case totally under seal.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #14832
cuervo72
Head Coach

hxxps://deadspin.com/how-did-5-million-of-vince-mcmahons-money-wind-up-in-t-1831239844

(breaking the link because Kinja)

The article may not be the best journalism, but this comment:

Quote:
It’s tax fraud. Trump avoids income tax on the payments from WWE because they were paid to his charity. It would not be fraud if the money ultimately went to charitable causes, but given the reports that Trump used the charity as his own slush fund, it’s very clearly fraud.

Yuuuuuup.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #14833
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Not only does this guy have a shady background, he's asking people to mail him personal checks.

DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS GUY!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #14834
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not only does this guy have a shady background, he's asking people to mail him personal checks.

It doesn't seem any worse than the stock market at this point.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #14835
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I mean...the people who'd be motivated to give their money to THAT grifter are likely the same people who've given money to the grifter at 1600 Pennsylvania, so...
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #14836
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I need to create the Clinton Foundation Investigation Fund or something and try to bilk conservatives out of millions.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #14837
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Stupid question, but it is even possible to have a clean withdrawal from the middle east? Its weird to me to see people that were screaming to end these wars now screaming about this withdrawal. I'm not smart enough to know the best approach here, and it seems Trump is doing this against advisers, but what can we do beyond 1) stay forever or 2) pull out completely. What does another 6 months, 5 years, or 20 years change?

I'm with you. But there does need to be a "process" vs what we suspect is a Trump tantrum of the day.

The ME is going to be played with proxies with minimum US boots on the ground unless necessary. We pick chess pieces, they pick chess pieces and over several decades, hopefully win, draw but not lose.

Regardless of what we think of SA, the Kingdom is the King piece and Israel is the Queen piece (e.g. most powerful piece on the board). Jordan is pretty friendly and strategically located, the somewhat other friendly Gulf states are too small to be anything other than bankers (should have made Kuwait the 51st state ), Egypt is an ally but not as tight as Mubarak but still better than the other guy they democratically elected.

The Palestinian issue seems to have been overshadowed. Whereas at one time Israel-Palestine issue seemed to be blamed for all the tensions and terrorism, its a footnote now (and like another post I had, the PA should accept 70-80% of what they want vs. try to get it all and move on).

So to answer your question, IMO we pull out but fight the "war" by proxy.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #14838
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ah, makes sense.

Bloomberg - Fed Rate Hikes May Have Already Cost Trump $5 Million a Year

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-23-2018 at 03:07 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #14839
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, Mattis out as of Jan 1. (Now that the letter has been explained.)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #14840
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mnuchin released a letter today to make sure everyone knew he met with the six largest banks and made sure they had no liquidity concerns. Everyone should sleep fine.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #14841
RainMaker
General Manager

Another fine day for the markets.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #14842
kingfc22
Head Coach

Somebody is losing their mind today. LMAO!

Ship him off to Florida already.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #14843
Atocep
Coordinator

What a fucking baby. Jesus fucking christ how does this many have supporters?

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #14844
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

BECAUSE HE TELLS IT LIKE IT IS!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #14845
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm watching Lord of the Rings the Two Towers.

Further proof a wall won't keep anyone out.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #14846
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm watching Lord of the Rings the Two Towers.

Further proof a wall won't keep anyone out.

I listened to Pink Floyd's "The Wall". It's proof that people behinds walls like to whine a lot.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #14847
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched World War Z. Proof that a wall works with Romero zeds.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #14848
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching Netflix Wolf series. Its about Turkish special forces/counter terrorism. The first episode had the team take out a bunch of terrorist in a school and second episode is about capturing a PKK leader.

Put it here instead of the Netflix thread because it made me think ...

The Kurds have been friendly to the US but are vilified by Turkey. I'm wondering if Turkey really does have a case against them? I know freedom fighter vs terrorist is relative and can also easily believe the US view is clouded because the Kurds support us.

Anyone know the real story?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #14849
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Longest bull market post WW2 is over for both the NASDAQ and S&P, and close to over for the Dow.

And Trump sits in his bedroom and tweets about how alone he is.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #14850
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And Trump sits in his bedroom and tweets about how alone he is.

Poor Trump.

Also the Democrats should give him his wall if he sings that song and puts it on youtube.