Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #101
rjolley
College Starter

Cringer, did they get SprintNav over to the Pre?

I'm up in the air about which phone I'll upgrade to. Currently, it's between the Pre, the Touch Pro 2, or the Hero, although Samsung's new phone looks good too.

I may just wait 3 months and see what's new on the horizon for phones. I'd love for the HTC HD2 to come to Sprint.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #102
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm not Cringer, but yup, the Pre has Navigator...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #103
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Did you mean November 2010 in that first post? I am pretty sure it is December, though I could be wrong. Time flies eh?

hehe, yeah, managed to gut it out waiting. It was tough though as my old phone was on it's last legs. And I ended up getting the Bold 9700 for 10 bucks, so that was nice.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #104
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Cringer, did they get SprintNav over to the Pre?

I'm up in the air about which phone I'll upgrade to. Currently, it's between the Pre, the Touch Pro 2, or the Hero, although Samsung's new phone looks good too.

I may just wait 3 months and see what's new on the horizon for phones. I'd love for the HTC HD2 to come to Sprint.

As Jeebs said, it's on there. SprintTV is pretty nice as well as far as Provider installed apps go. The NFL app is forced on as is the NASCAR app. I like the NFL app, but have a patch installed that basically makes the NASCAR app invisible (since you can't take it off).
Old 12-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #105
rjolley
College Starter

One thing I do like about the HTC devices is the ability to install different ROMs. I could do without that, though, for a solid phone with a good set of apps.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #106
Danny
Head Coach

The keyboard was the most pleasant surprise for me. I have large hands and the keys are so tiny, but it works
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #107
Samdari
Roster Filler

Has anyone gotten a droid?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #108
gstelmack
Pro Starter

This is not the droid you are lookin for.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #109
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Has anyone gotten a droid?

I have one.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #110
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I have one.

You like it?

I asked the wife for one for Christmas, she said she did not want to do the paperwork, I should go get it myself (note: she usually complains when I buy stuff myself and its not available to her as a gift idea. Make up your mind, woman.).
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #111
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Love my droid. Tethering off it now. No monthly fees, done right. Screen resolution is crazy.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-09-2009 at 11:30 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #112
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
No monthly fees, done right.

What's do you mean by this?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #113
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You like it?

I asked the wife for one for Christmas, she said she did not want to do the paperwork, I should go get it myself (note: she usually complains when I buy stuff myself and its not available to her as a gift idea. Make up your mind, woman.).

Love it. A little thicker than the iPhone but it feels like it is built solid. It doesn't have the apps the iPhone does but it has all the major ones. I got the one with the pull out keyboard but you can also have a touch screen one on there too.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #114
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What's do you mean by this?

Means if you buy PDANet for Android you can tether without getting charged by Verizon. Just uses the data plan you already have.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #115
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Means if you buy PDANet for Android you can tether without getting charged by Verizon. Just uses the data plan you already have.

Which data plan do you have?

I am actually confused by the data plan issue. Does Verizon charge extra once you go over a certain cap (5GB? 10GB?).
Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #116
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No. Unlimited Data Plans on Verizon
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #117
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
No. Unlimited Data Plans on Verizon

Not really. They call it unlimited, but they charge you after 5gb, not sure how they get away with that. Another 10 or 15 bucks gets you true unlimited.

Though I have to imagine its damn near impossible to pull 5gb a month through your mobile. Even with heavy tethering.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #118
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I just have the standard smart phone data plan, btw. Nothing special.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #119
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I have the Droid and really like it as well. The Android Marketplace is getting new, great apps every day. I really like the potential of the phone. This is my first smart phone, as I am coming from a Voyager. But it's nice to know that my phone will more then likely only get better with over the air updates in the two years that I have it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #120
Flasch186
Coordinator

any must have droid apps, I just got one yesterday. bye bye blackberry storm.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #121
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Time for TK's pet peeve number 1 about the Android store: can't see what's in it unless you have an Android device. But now that I'm considering an Android device, how am I going to know if all the apps I want are available UNLESS I can see before I buy?

Sorry, I know nothing about Droid apps but I always recommend the TED app. I am a fan of the TED conference talks, if not the pretentiousness that TED in general seems to have.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #122
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
any must have droid apps, I just got one yesterday. bye bye blackberry storm.

Um. I have mine out and Im looking down my apps list and here are ones that jump out at me:

The ones I would say are must have are:

- Home++ (#22) Or any homescreen changer. Most allow you up to 7 or so home screens

- Handscent SMS (#14)

- Astro File Manager (#17)

1. More Icons Widget - Instead of having one widget/shortcut in a "box" you can fit up to 4 shortcuts in that one block. Excellent way to cram as much shit on one screen

2. FeedR - I went down my favorites list and checked out all the sites I check daily and all my favorite blogs and what not and added them to my FeedR. Great way to keep up to date to all your sites when your on the go.

3. Pandora - Self-Explanatory. Have an ipod jack and then have it charging so it doesn't drain batter and makes the car ride great.

4. Wapedia - Mobile Wiki

5. Battery Left Widget - I've found the battery icon is very sketchy. It goes from 80-60-40-20-0. That's a damn big gap. You install this and it takes about a week or two to fully calibrate but when it is it is very nice to have. Tells you how much battery you have to the exact percent, how many hours you have left on that charge, and its estimated time it will die.

6. Calvin and Hobbes - Cmon. Everybody needs a Calvin and Hobbes comic every day.

7. Not Call Log - One thing I didn't like about the droid is that after an outgoing call it sent you to your call log. This little program lets you designate where it goes. I have it set to the home screen like it should.

8. Seesmic - If you have a twitter account this is a very good twitter app

9. Beautiful Widgets - Has some handy widgets like a toggle bar for wifi.

10. Listen - Podcasts

11. SNesoid/GENoid/NESoid - Emulators for Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Regular Nintendo

12. Ebay - Self-Explanatory

13. Movies - Flixter has this app. Great way to check what your local theatres showtimes are.

14. Handcent SMS - I use this instead of the default text messenger. The program is not much different then the stock one, but it has a handy feature that allows you to view and respond to a text message without having to unlock your phone and go to the program.

15. Dolphin Browser - I have had this for awhile. I liked it better then the stock, but I have heard the stock browser is improved. Also, Firefox is developing a browser so when that comes out and then when Flash comes out then I will be going to the Firefox browser.

16. Missed Call - Allows you to change the color of the LED lights. Can have a certain color blink for text message, missed call, emails, etc. I think I just set the LED color in the Handcent SMS instead of using this but I do use it to change the color for emails and missed calls I believe.

17. Astro File Manager - The biggest problem I have run into with the droid is there is not a real file manager. This fixed that. Take a few minutes to figure it out. At first it will look confusing and unorganized but once you get used to it you will come to love Astro.

18. CalWidget - Have a widget on one of my screens to see my agenda.

19. Mobile Defense - After you take the five minutes to set it up it disappears from your phone but it always runs in the background. If you lose your phone, or it is stolen, you can go to their website to track your phone down.

20. Live Scores - the best app I have found for sports scores.

21. ShopSavvy - Ability to scan barcodes and to price match online when you are in a store.

22. Home++ - Totally changes the UI of your phones homescreen. Really like it. As with any new program sometimes there are slowdowns or glitches but it just looks fucking great.

23. The Weather Channel - Yep. Nice little widget on my homescreen to see the current weather.

24. MotoTorch LED - Turns your flash into a flashlight.

I don't know any really good forums for android but I found these on google when I first got my phone. I frequently check them, especially their android applications sections, for any new developments or applications.

hxxp://androidforums.com/

hxxp://www.droidforums.net/forum/
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm praying something cool will be out in November when I can upgrade. Right now I would get the palm pre plus.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #124
Flasch186
Coordinator

thanks for taking the time!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #125
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay it is upgrade time for me and as a Verizon customer i am going between the Blackberry and the Droid. I am a basic user for business and need to be able to receive emails when i am away from the office as well as have internet access. I am not sure just how much true surfing i will need or what other apps will be needed since i am coming from a basic phone. Any thoughts?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #126
Flasch186
Coordinator

Well I had the storm 1 and I can tell you that the droid browsing is far better than the experience I had browsing on the Storm. Droid doesnt sync well with Outlook out of the box, I had to set my gmail account to check my Outlook for me and have those emailed fwd there for my phone to then pick them up. It works seamlessly through that but it was a few hours to figure that all out.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #127
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay it is upgrade time for me and as a Verizon customer i am going between the Blackberry and the Droid. I am a basic user for business and need to be able to receive emails when i am away from the office as well as have internet access. I am not sure just how much true surfing i will need or what other apps will be needed since i am coming from a basic phone. Any thoughts?

If you absolutely require push business e-mail, you will probably be better off getting a phone with an OS that your IT department will officially support (usually WinMo or Blackberry). WinMo has been much maligned, but it looks like they have cleaned up their act with an updated OS and some nice looking phones on the horizon.

But, to Flasch's point, you can still make it work with something like Apple or Android either via webmail, your own hacking/cobbling together a solution, or "unofficial" IT support...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I got the Pre Plus. Anything that I should rush to download? (verizon obviously)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #130
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ok...

I am going to be stepping away from Apple and my iPhone.

Right now I am looking at three phones (I am with AT&T)

HTC Inspire (Droid OS)

HTC Surround (Windows Mobile 7)

Samsung Focus (Windows Mobile 7)

Right now I am really digging on the Windows Mobile OS...they have made major improvements..

Anyone using any of these..
Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #131
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I bought the HTC Surround this week, Windows Mobile 7 is amazing.

I have ran with an iPhone for the past 2 years but I am telling you this right now...I do not miss the phone one bit.

I have almost all the apps I have used on the iPhone with WM7.

FB and Social Media Integration is wonderful.

The only negative is the app support isn't there like it is for the Apple, but I think it will..

Right now, I am not missing my iPhone.