Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #101
Terps
College Prospect

According to the Miami Herald:

1) "All that now appears to be holding up the deal with Baltimore is how much of Lowell's remaining salary the Marlins would agree to pay to complete the trade. Lowell is due to make about $21 million before his contract runs out after the 2007 season."

2) "Another rumored three-team trade also involving the Pittsburgh Pirates that was reported to be in the works by numerous media outlets turned out to be untrue."
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #102
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
While I agree with you completely, I think Dubois has a great deal of potential as a hitter, and I'm somewhat disappointed in the trade. I admit that I don't know a lot of Gerut, though, so I'll wait and see.

More than anything, I think this trade indicates Patterson won't be up again anytime soon - notice Hendry's comments on needing a left-handed bat and Gerut's ability to play centerfield.

As an Indians fan, I like this move. Gerut has a lot of potential but is injury prone and was losing time behind Crisp and Sizemore. Dubois has the righthanded power bat potential that the Indians so desperately seek. I think it's a fair swap for both clubs.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Now I'm confused...why would the Marlins agree to pay all of Lowell's salary? If you're going to pay him, why not just keep him? He's Cuban, which is good for the local crowd.

The only eay this makes sense is if they're getting back some really good prospects, plus the fact that they can move Cabrera back to 3rd. But really, if they end up paying almost all of his salary, you'd have to think they know something huge about him that we don't.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #104
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Now I'm confused...why would the Marlins agree to pay all of Lowell's salary? If you're going to pay him, why not just keep him? He's Cuban, which is good for the local crowd.

The only eay this makes sense is if they're getting back some really good prospects, plus the fact that they can move Cabrera back to 3rd. But really, if they end up paying almost all of his salary, you'd have to think they know something huge about him that we don't.

Yeah- this is the part of the trade that's really baffling to me. They weren't getting nearly enough for Burnett and I figure it was because they were shoving Lowell down the throat of this trade. I figured they were doing that because it was a salary dump and that's part of why they were taking Kline back but now they're paying most of it to get... Mark Redman?? It just doesn't make sense.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #105
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I hope the Cardinals get Jason Bay, that would be my choice.

If that happens, I might forsake the Pirates and baseball altogether.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #106
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
If that happens, I might forsake the Pirates and baseball altogether.

heheh... we need help in OF for the future..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #107
Terps
College Prospect

Gammons: It's everyone's understanding that the Orioles deal will happen, according to the agents of 3 players involved. The holdup is now on the split of Lowell's contract. He's also pretty sure that the 3-way trade is still a go.

The 3 way would be the same as earlier but w/ Bigbie going to Pittsburgh and Lowell to Baltimore.

Says Florida won't talk w/ the Red Sox about Burnett, and that the agents for 3 of the players involved were told to expect a trade.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #108
Ksyrup

Along those lines, Burnett shook him head when asked whether he would be pitching tonight (he is the scheduled starter).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #109
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Along those lines, Burnett shook him head when asked whether he would be pitching tonight (he is the scheduled starter).

that's quite a manuever
Old 07-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #110
Terps
College Prospect

Towards the end of the show, Gammons updated and said Pittsburgh was out of the deal, the O's are insisting the Marlins pay $10 million of Lowell's salary, and then made an offer of Julio, Penn, and Bigbie, for Burnett and Perisho, and the Marlins refused.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #111
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good for the Marlins. Maybe they're starting to realize this deal was stupid.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #112
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pittsburgh Post Gazzette reports that if/when the O's and Marlins complete that deal, the Pirates will send Mark Redman to Florida for Larry Bigbie.

The excitement just grows and grows in Pittsburgh.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #113
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Can they just make this deal already?! I realize last night's loss to Minn had nothing to do with starting pitching, but this has just been hanging out there for a while now. I wonder if this is taking a long time due to the combined braintrust of Flanagan/Beattie. Having dual GMs is just retarded IMO.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #114
Ksyrup

According to Jayson Stark on Mike & Mike this morning, the Marlins are about to call Toronto, Boston, and Chicago (WS) back to revive trade talks on Burnett. The sticking point appears to be that the Marlins don't want to pay more than half of Lowell's remaining contract, or else they feel like they should keep him. But they are apparently the ones insisting that it be a package deal. Which is why the Pirates had to be involved, because the Orioles don't need Lowell, unless he's basically free.

Sounds like the Marlins are the ones making this unnecessarily complicated. Just remove Lowell from the equation. He's a mini-Thome, apparently.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #115
Scholes
High School Varsity

Quote:
According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Red Sox have called the Twins about J.C. Romero and the Twins may be interested in Bill Mueller.
The Twins reportedly may also have some interest in Kevin Millar as they try to find some offense. Jul. 19 - 10:01 am et

Apparantly the coaching staff has had it with Romero's immaturity and is looking to ship him. He's a solid left handed reliever which can go a long way for many teams. That being said. Mueller and Millar are Bret Boone all over again, and we certainly don't need that. I beg the Twins to not make this move. I do not want Joe Randa either.

They're a lost cause anyway. Start rebuilding now.

[/RANT]

Last edited by Scholes : 07-20-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #116
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Can they just make this deal already?! I realize last night's loss to Minn had nothing to do with starting pitching, but this has just been hanging out there for a while now. I wonder if this is taking a long time due to the combined braintrust of Flanagan/Beattie. Having dual GMs is just retarded IMO.

Has nothing to do w/ B & F, Angelos stuck his nose in on how much of Lowell's contract they will take. B & F have a deal in place, it's just up to Angelos to approve it.

After this season, I doubt it'll be an issue anyway if it was B & F, because Beattie will likely be gone w/ Flanagan as the lone GM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #117
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Interestingly, according to the Baltimore Sun, there are a few in the organization that are not enamored with AJ Burnett and the feeling is, if they are going to mortgage future prospects like Hayden Penn, that the O's would want a "sure thing" in return (not a guy who has never won more than 12 games and who has been on the DL 4 times in his career).

In a way, I'm glad. I'd love to see a rotation with Bedard, Cabrera, John Maine and Hayden Penn in a couple years.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #118
Ksyrup

AJ Burnett is most likely a rich man's Darren Dreifort.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #119
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sure, he has injury issues - but I like Burnett's skils a LOT. Perhaps the Darren Dreifort comparison isn't off base.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #120
Ksyrup

I think he's better than Dreifort...but I also think it's probable we'll never see how good he could be.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 PM   #121
Izulde
Head Coach

*eyes an earlier post*

Burnett to the White Sox? That'd make our pitching even scarier, I think. Hopefully that'd boot Contreras out of the rotation, who I'm not impressed with in the least.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #122
Ksyrup

I think Contreras would be part of a deal for Burnett. At least, that's what I've read. But I have a feeling those trade talks have probably progressed further on a board like this than in real life.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #123
Swaggs
Coordinator

Here's an interesting one that has been floating around.

Red Sox trade Millar and Muellar to the Twins for Lohse and Romero.

Red Sox then trade Lohse and Arroyo to the Marlins for Burnett.

Is Burnett really that much better than Arroyo?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #124
rkmsuf
Head Coach

nope and then the red sox would likely have to reup burnett at big money and possibly take on some of Lowell's dough.

Burnett is a little better yes but not likely the difference maker.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #125
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
AJ Burnett is most likely a rich man's Darren Dreifort.

With way better skills.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #126
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Here's an interesting one that has been floating around.

Red Sox trade Millar and Muellar to the Twins for Lohse and Romero.

Red Sox then trade Lohse and Arroyo to the Marlins for Burnett.

Is Burnett really that much better than Arroyo?

Dude. Yes. He is way better than Mr. Cornrows. And his potential is a lot higher than Arroyo's as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #127
Swaggs
Coordinator

Interestingly, Burnett is about a month and a half older than Arroyo.

I'm not trying to champion Arroyo over Burnett or anything, but, after you factor in the AL vs NL in their stats, Burnett looks just slightly better.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #128
QuikSand
lolzcat

I agree, I like both of these young pitchers a good deal -- think Arroyo is more maligned than he deserves, he's going to be a very solid pitcher in short order.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #129
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Interestingly, Burnett is about a month and a half older than Arroyo.

I'm not trying to champion Arroyo over Burnett or anything, but, after you factor in the AL vs NL in their stats, Burnett looks just slightly better.

And the Pirates had Arroyo and let him go for nothing.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #130
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
And the Pirates had Arroyo and let him go for nothing.

Just like Wakefield.

and Lieber.

and Schmidt.

and soon to be Kip Wells.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #131
korme
Go Reds

Atleast you have had a good young arm. We just get outfielders.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #132
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Just like Wakefield.

and Lieber.

and Schmidt.

and soon to be Kip Wells.

You mean Brant Brown, Armando Rios and Ryan Vogelsong aren't anything .

I don't have a problem with losing Wakefield, he was awful for a couple of years with the Pirates after his breakthrough rookie year.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Braves trade Gryboski to Rangers

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/21/05

PHOENIX — The Braves kept busy on their day off, trading reliever Kevin Gryboski to the Texas Rangers for a low-level pitching prospect and calling up rookie left-hander Macay McBride from Class AAA Richmond.

Gryboski had a 2.95 ERA in 31 appearances, and a .300 opponents' average that included a .327 average and .422 on-base percentage by right-handed batters.

In an Atlanta bullpen that has the National League's second-worst opponents' average by first batters, Gryboski's .458 mark was the second-highest among NL relievers.

Atlanta acquired right-hander Matt Lorenzo, 23, from the Rangers and will assign him to Class A Myrtle Beach. He was 1-4 with a 4.02 ERA in nine starts at Class A Bakersfield, where he recorded 55 strikeouts with 21 walks in 53-2/3 innings.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #134
Easy Mac

so we basically gave him away. eh whatever, I wasn't a Grybowski fan.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #135
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
so we basically gave him away. eh whatever, I wasn't a Grybowski fan.

I agree, but I still wonder why we gave him away. Was his salary that high? I can't imagine it was.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 AM   #136
21C
College Prospect

He has a salary of $877,500.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #137
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the Braves are just playing with House Rules.

They have to have at least half of their roster loaded with rookies.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #138
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Have Grybowski save face by trading him instead of demoting/DFA him?
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #139
Travis
Pro Rookie

Jays trade John McDonald to the Tigers for a PTBNL.

Not sure what they're looking to pick up there, but McDonald was a pretty good guy to have on the bench. Pretty much loved by anybody who has played with him or coached him and hitting just a shade under .300 as a reserve while playing some solid/sometimes spectacular D. Nice luxury to have on the bench, hope we're at least getting some bullpen quality help out of this.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #140
Terps
College Prospect

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2114524

The Baltimore Orioles could have a new ace as soon as Friday night.
ESPN's Peter Gammons reports that talks between the Marlins and Orioles for pitcher A.J. Burnett heated up Friday afternoon.

According to a source, if the Orioles can move pitcher Sidney Ponson -- rumored to go through Texas, possibly to Tampa Bay -- Baltimore can use the money saved to make third baseman Mike Lowell's contract work.

So long Sidney!

Last edited by Terps : 07-22-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #141
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Padres made a couple moves today...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2114944

The Baltimore Orioles on Saturday have agreed to trade right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to San Diego for first baseman Phil Nevin.

Buster Olney reports that Nevin has a limited no-trade clause and he hasn't approved the deal yet. The Orioles are on the list of teams he does not want to be traded to.

With Ponson moving to the Padres, the Orioles deal to acquire Florida Marlins right-hander A.J. Burnett has been shelved.

A three-way deal with the Orioles and Texas Rangers, which would have sent Burnett to Baltimore, was "killed" by the Orioles this weekend, according to a baseball man familiar with the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. So the Marlins are believed to have broken off talks with Baltimore, at least for now, and are back to focusing on offers by the Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.

Lowell, who is batting a disappointing .230 with just four homers and 39 RBI, is owed about $21 million through 2007.

Ponson was moved to San Diego once he refused a trade to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for left-handed reliever Trever Miller.

The Padres have a need for a starter with Adam Eaton likely heading to the bullpen. Troubled with elbow pain, Eaton can't throw his curveball, relegating him as a fastball-changeup reliever.

Now the Marlins have to try to find a taker for third baseman Mike Lowell with Burnett, or return to the possibilities with the White Sox and Red Sox.

The White Sox figure to head the list of other deals, with prospect Brandon McCarthy heading the package along with Jose Contreras. The Red Sox offer would center on right-handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo.

Also, ESPNews is reporting that the Padres acquired Joe Randa for a couple minor leaguers. That deal I like. The Ponson deal, not so much. Mainly because Ponson sucks ass. I'm just glad that what the Giants traded for him a few years ago didn't amount to anything. Assuming Nevin OK's the deal, prepare for some frustration Padres fans.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #142
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The O's picked up Nevin AND Randa? Where are they both going to play? Only one can DH.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #143
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
The O's picked up Nevin AND Randa? Where are they both going to play? Only one can DH.

No, the O's picked up Nevin while the Padres got Randa and Ponson.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #144
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i still see the red sox ending up with Burnett (though maybe that's just b/c I'm a homer and refuse to consider other possibilities). As much as I love my (literal) neighbor Bill Mueller, sending him and Kevin Millar off and ending up with JC Romero and Burnett while Minnesota ends up with Mike Lowell seems to make the most sense, once it gets down to "under the gun" time.

then we can play Youky at 3B and Olerud/Ortiz at 1B, maybe give 'Tek some days off behind the plate down the stretch and DH him while Ortiz plays 1B (his defense there isn't as horrible as people seem to think, not that it's great, but it ain't horrible). It would all just...be so nice. Burnett holds up the rotation till the playoffs when Schill is ready to slide back in and Foulkie is back, and then Arroyo/Wakefield/Miller head to the pen (personally I'd pick Miller, but that's just me).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-23-2005 at 01:46 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #145
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would think the O's would be more likely to take Lowell with Burnett now that Ponson's big salary is off the books. I'm curious as to why it says talks with the Orioles have been "shelved."
Old 07-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #146
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
No, the O's picked up Nevin while the Padres got Randa and Ponson.

Ahhhhh... does this mean that Burroughs didn't work out?
Old 07-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #147
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Ahhhhh... does this mean that Burroughs didn't work out?

I would say so. I think he needs a change of scenery with the hope of getting back on the right track.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #148
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

EGADS! I just saw Burroughs stats... I had no idea he was doing that badly! And he had so much promise back in the day.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #149
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
EGADS! I just saw Burroughs stats... I had no idea he was doing that badly! And he had so much promise back in the day.

Burroughs had that one small run and needs to be on a different team in a different lineup. Good trade.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #150
Vince
Pro Starter

I don't understand why the Pads went out of their way to get Ponson. He's not really that good. Giving up Nevin + Prospects for Randa + Ponson doesn't seem like a move in the right direction...more like a move to make a move.

I like the acquisition of Randa to make up for the loss of Nevin -- that's good. But to give up prospects when you didn't get all that great of an SP in the other deal...not so good.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote