Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #101
Passacaglia
Coordinator

[can of worms]
So what's so bad about Joe Stallings again?
[/can of worms]
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #102
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
[can of worms]
So what's so bad about Joe Stallings again?
[/can of worms]

He kicked my dog.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #103
John Galt
Pro Starter

Joe Stallings is to game developers what Dean Houston is to quarterbacks (except without the records and accolades).
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #104
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
He kicked my dog.

more likely he took credit for someone else kicking your dog.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #105
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
more likely he took credit for someone else kicking your dog.

Zing!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #106
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Joe Stallings is to game developers what Dean Houston is to quarterbacks (except without the records and accolades).
I'm going to have to take off points for your analogy. I think that Joe Stallings IS a game developer of sorts, albeit one who does graphics as well, where as Dean is NOT a quarterback. The correct analogy, I believe is:

Joe Stallings:game developers:ean Houston:wide recievers
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 AM   #107
JeeberD
General Manager

When the heck did Dean Houston become a receiver?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #108
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
When the heck did Dean Houston become a receiver?

He was using an analogy.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #109
John Galt
Pro Starter

I with JeeberD on this one and totally confused. My analogy may have been poor, but Dean Houston has always been a QB to my knowledge.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #110
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Man. I've been laboring under a misimpression all these years? I feel so foolish.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #111
GrantDawg

Many of you did not do well on the SAT.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #112
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Now that that's settled...what was so bad about Joe Stallings?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #113
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Many of you did not do well on the SAT.

Never played Second and Ten, and I'm not sure I understand your reference to that game here.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #114
JeeberD
General Manager

Do a search on his name. I bet you'll find some fun stuff...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #115
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I'm probably going to wait and see. If the AI is not good, I will not buy it. But I'm going to wait for the reviews to see.

The game looks really good from the screen shots but I don't think I will buy it if the AI isn't any good. It all depends on the AI and that will tell me if I should buy the game.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #116
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Now that that's settled...what was so bad about Joe Stallings?

I assume you weren't browsing the boards during that whole druez/Skydog//.400 Studios/Joe Stallings fiasco. It was better than any soap opera you can imagine. Allegedly Joe Stallings used druez (game reviewer) to write a review praising TPF and bad mouthing FOF.

SkyDog and druez would go at each other since it seemed to contradict a previous review. Of course no one knew it at the time as assumed that druez just suddenly became a TPF fanboy, but eventually he spilled the beans on this board about what went down. Joe Stallings denied the incident but then he was inexplicably let go by .400 Studios.

Because Joe had a large piece of the pie at .400 Studios, he could still earn money off any future games, so Arlie and company split ways. 3 of them started Grey Dog so that Joe couldn't earn any money under the name of .400 Studios.

No one really knows what truly went down, but most people believe than Joe Stallings is a kind of person doesn't have any business ethics and is bad for the industry because of the alleged stunt he pulled. Of course, since druez has already proven to be untrustworhty, you never know if he was telling the complete truth.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #117
sabotai
General Manager

For some reason, I recall Farrah implying at some point that the problems with Joe Stallings started behind the scenes before the whole druez/game review fiasco. There always seemed much more to the story then any of us peons knew.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-18-2005 at 06:14 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:20 PM   #118
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez on TPF
Overall – 4.75 out of 5: It’s a first generation game and one that I think will bridge the gap between sports fan and gamers. Madden has a large audience, but there are a lot of people out there looking for something more realistic, but still fun to play. I loved Front Office Football for years, but it’s happened THERE IS A NEW KING IN TOWN and this kingdom is good. Long Live Total Pro Football and I can only wonder with this fine linage will continue to bring. A closing thought, this genre will only expand and build upon itself if we the consumer support it, don’t be afraid to try something new I’m pretty sure you will all be as pleased as myself and William were.

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #119
sabotai
General Manager

Wasn't that review written before all of the patches? (When it was half finished and crashed more oftan than a DC-10?)

(I wonder how many still get the reference.. )
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #120
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
For some reason, I recall Farrah implying at some point that the problems with Joe Stallings started behind the scenes before the whole druez/game review fiasco. There always seemed much more to the story then any of us peons knew.

Found it!

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...0&postcount=31

jbmagic asks "Why was Joe fired?"

Reply from Farrah: "I very much want to answer this, becuase this has been the biggest source of speculation. But it wouldn't be such a good idea if I'm trying to get a deal done with him, right? I think I've already walked a pretty thin line with what has been said so far.

But I will say this, he is a 50% owner - the employment agreements have very specific, very serious reasons for termination. I wouldn't have had the ability to fire him had it been simply a case of stealing office supplies, or even the review fixing wouldn't have been enough (which I think is very serious BTW would have been enough for me to submit my resignation if I hadn't already terminated him)."

I don't think she ever expanded on this.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #121
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

Several people have promised to tell me everything once the legal mess is straightened out. I don't know if it is, but there's certainly much I don't know.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #122
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wasn't that review written before all of the patches? (When it was half finished and crashed more oftan than a DC-10?)

(I wonder how many still get the reference.. )

Yes, it was written well before. In fact, he let his fried (a former NFL player, William Thomas, I believe) test it out before he wrote the review and supposedly they both thought it was a great game. But, of course, SkyDog was a tester as well, but the bastard doesn't like to coach games. He just simulated and checked the stats, so he missed all these errors as well.

I remember buying the game and was shocked that there weren't any 2 point conversions or onside kicks and all these random crashes. And I bought that game the instant it came out, so I wasn't too thrilled with all the problems. However those days are hopefully gone, but now I know to wait and see the response before I actually purchase.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #123
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Several people have promised to tell me everything once the legal mess is straightened out. I don't know if it is, but there's certainly much I don't know.

Pretty long time for it not to be straightened out yet....but then again, lawyers do get paid by the hour.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #124
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

I would tell you but then who would buy the book?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #125
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
But, of course, SkyDog was a tester as well, but the bastard doesn't like to coach games. He just simulated and checked the stats, so he missed all these errors as well.
I had two specific areas of responsibility in testing, and I can assure you that taking time to test coaching games would have kept me from having the time to do what I was asked to do.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #126
Buccaneer
Head Coach

And any surprise that the two areas where SD tested were the best parts of the game (so I was told).

druez had a relationship and an ulterior motive with .400 that I couldn't quite figure out.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #127
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I had two specific areas of responsibility in testing, and I can assure you that taking time to test coaching games would have kept me from having the time to do what I was asked to do.

Well...uh...um....you are sometimes a dictator.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 AM   #128
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
druez had a relationship and an ulterior motive with .400 that I couldn't quite figure out.

Druez always had another agenda. He was one of the most disingenuous characters I've come across on the Internet.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #129
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:
I guess I am in the camp that would love to see it as a 3D sim, as long as the stats remain realistic. FPS has proven that have graphics and stats can be a great combination. The only reason why I like graphics is that it is much easier to understand how well my offensive and defensive players are doing with graphics than it could ever be done with text.

As it currently stands, I don't know immediately in the game if my defensive lineman is getting dominated by the offensive in a one and one situation or if he is being double teamed. I don't know if the opposing wide reciever is having success because of my cornerback getting burnt, my saftey didn't provide help or the cornerback covered a completely different person due to stacking to one side of the field.

I understand why some people hate graphics if all you do is play the role of GM and don't care for playcalling at all, but if you want to take the reigns as a coach, I don't quite get it.
X's and O's won't do it for me. I would love to see immediately that there is a 6'2' receiver going against my 5'7" cornerback. I would love to see if my reciever ran a bad route or just tripped up on a muddy field.

My thoughts exactly.
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #130
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000
My thoughts exactly.

Yes! There is at least one other person that appreciates graphics from the standpoint that I was talking about.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #131
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Wasn't that review written before all of the patches?

Are you talking about patches for the game, or the grammar in the review? Good Gravy that's some bad writing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #132
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hmmm, I'm not easily finding any links to this game at the EA Sports site. A couple of former co-workers of mine were working on this game - I'll have to ping them and see what's up.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #133
redfox000
Mascot

bump
Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #134
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Yes! There is at least one other person that appreciates graphics from the standpoint that I was talking about.

I've been a hardcore Championship/Football Manager since back in the old days on the Amiga.. when the 2D view was being introduced I was extremely skeptical... why mess with a winning concept? Well.. consider me a convert.. The 2D view in FM is the best thing since sliced bread..

As long as it's done well (and not like some of the old EA Sports Managers games which had like 4 different goal-animations and you knew at the start of an attack that they would score), graphics really do enhance the sports SIMULATIONS...

However, done poorly, I wouldn't touch a 3D (or 2D) simulation.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #135
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I figured anyone who watched their games play out in Front Page Sport Football would love to see an in-game graphical layer on top of a FOF like engine. Maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses for FPS, I was rather young when I played that game.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #136
KWhit
Coordinator

I would love such a view as long as the other aspects of GMing and coaching were solid.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #137
Celeval
Pro Starter

XOR NFL, baby.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #138
CraigSca
Pro Starter

100 years ahead of its time, that one was.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #139
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
I figured anyone who watched their games play out in Front Page Sport Football would love to see an in-game graphical layer on top of a FOF like engine. Maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses for FPS, I was rather young when I played that game.

I've been waiting for something like this for years.... I mean, since FPS Football closed it's doors.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #140
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:

I'm in the same category as you. I played maybe 1 or 2 games a day, every day, for YEARS (still have the all the history saved for my 45 year career), during high school, college, and beyond. I have even thought about reinstalling that game on my PC.

FOF2004 helps the simulation and realisim side of me and Madden 2005 helps the graphical and pure fun side of me. However, nothing matches up to what FBPro was in its heyday.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #141
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I've been waiting for something like this for years.... I mean, since FPS Football closed it's doors.

Me too.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #142
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I was in 6th grade or so when I played it. I created an almanac of rosters, pro bowl teams, and all sorts of records I tracked and printed in excel. Only thing ever to get me to do stuff like that for fun.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:36 AM   #143
General Mike
Pro Starter

Wow, there is alot of hate in this thread.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #144
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:
I created an almanac of rosters, pro bowl teams, and all sorts of records I tracked and printed in excel. Only thing ever to get me to do stuff like that for fun.

Me too. I have a huge Excel spreadsheet, with TONS of data I tracked over my entire career as well. It was a lot of work, but like you said it was fun at the time. Nowdays, FOF is nice because it tracks most of that for you.

Last edited by redfox000 : 12-20-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #145
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
I've been a hardcore Championship/Football Manager since back in the old days on the Amiga.. when the 2D view was being introduced I was extremely skeptical... why mess with a winning concept? Well.. consider me a convert.. The 2D view in FM is the best thing since sliced bread..

As long as it's done well (and not like some of the old EA Sports Managers games which had like 4 different goal-animations and you knew at the start of an attack that they would score), graphics really do enhance the sports SIMULATIONS...

However, done poorly, I wouldn't touch a 3D (or 2D) simulation.

Imagine a FB game with the FM-style overhead. Wow.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I see that this game is available for PC possibly, since you can pre-order it from the EA store. I'm definately more interested now(don't have ps2 or xbox).
http://eastore.ea.com/jump.jsp?itemT...D=1271&bcs=237

Last edited by stevew : 03-06-2006 at 02:39 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #147
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd get this before I'd get Maximum Football.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #148
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I see that this game is available for PC possibly, since you can pre-order it from the EA store. I'm definately more interested now(don't have ps2 or xbox).
http://eastore.ea.com/jump.jsp?itemT...D=1271&bcs=237

And it seems to be the same price as Maximum Football. That is still a wait-and-see game for me, but I must admit that I am excited about its possibilities.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #149
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't have much hope it will be good, but I'll definitely check out reviews when it comes out.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #150
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Still pretty quiet on the marketing front for this considering the supposed April 30 release date. I don't know what to make of that.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote