Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #101
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Not to take anything away from Gary, but i believe he said it was the best sports game of the year (he had it 3rd, behind Crackdown and Puzzleqeust). EDIT - actually the other two aren't PC games, so I stand corrected. :0

Puzzle Quest began life on the PC, so, technically it IS a PC game.

But no, Crackdown is not.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #102
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Puzzle Quest began life on the PC, so, technically it IS a PC game.

But no, Crackdown is not.

Well thanks for kicking me when I'm down Sack.

And thanks Gary for the decision change on the demo (thanks for listening to the users). I'm giving it a shot this weekend and will post my opinions. It's sounding good though.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
hrm, you stopped reading right after Schmidty's post didn't you?

FM

No, I was quoting your post, sorry... my mistake.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #104
Schmidty
Coordinator

Hey! I just got a PM from Brian Swartz that contained some great news:

Quote:
Based on your post about the demo, I thought you might be interested in this news, posted at the WS forums by Gary today:

Quote:
We realize that this bonus update added some pretty cool new things and that anyone who tried the demo earlier wouldn't be able to experience the new features. So if you're in that boat have no worries, we're working on making an additional demo of the game - we will shortly be releasing a new demo that does not expire (but only allows you to go so far into a season instead) so that if you wanted a second go at the demo with the bonus update you'll get your chance!

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

you don't tell me!!! First I heard of it

We're joking with it, but I must echo what Moriarty said and give props to Gary for listening to his customers, even the "potential" ones

FM
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #106
st.cronin
General Manager

Somebody should pm Schmidty and tell him about the new demo.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #107
path12
Coordinator

That's great news about the demo -- I'll give it a look now. The timed ones just don't work out for me.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #108
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

hay guys is there a demo for this game i would like to "try before i buy" like i heard some guy say on tv one time but it was not about total professional golfing 2 because i have not seen an ad for that game on the tv ok

thanks bye
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
hay guys is there a demo for this game i would like to "try before i buy" like i heard some guy say on tv one time but it was not about total professional golfing 2 because i have not seen an ad for that game on the tv ok

thanks bye

lol
Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #110
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Man it sucks that Schmidty will never be able to play Total Pro Golf 2! If only something could be done to correct this grievous error!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another big write-up by Bill Harris about the game. This one is a gameplay guide. Good stuff......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...lay-guide.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #112
moriarty
College Starter

Is the updated demo out yet? Last message just said they are "working on it".
Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #113
digamma
Torchbearer

The poor mentality rating got me last night and it was Van de Velde esque. I held a three shot lead on the final hole of the JAG (junior) Tour Championship. Hit my drive in the woods. Chipped out. Hit my third shot in the water. Chipped my fifth over the green. Finally chipped on with my sixth. Missed the putt for triple bogey. Tapped in for quad to finish second.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #114
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Is the updated demo out yet? Last message just said they are "working on it".

I asked basically the same question to Gary in the thread I linked to previously and he just replied with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski on their forums
Yeah, we're hoping to make it available tomorrow. I've been tweaking some numbers with the wedge and chip play in the game so I just planned to release the new demo and beta 2.2 patch all at once

FM
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #115
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I asked basically the same question to Gary in the thread I linked to previously and he just replied with this:

FM

Thanks FM. Wouldn't mind firing this up this weekend if it's ready.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #116
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just so you all know, the new demo is available and it works. I have downloaded and have tried a run of three months playtime with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski on the TPG2 forum
Both files are available on our TPG2 downloads page. If you haven't tried the demo I would recommend downloading the one that says full install w/demo - that gives you three days of full access to the game. If you already used your three days up you can download the additional limited demo which gives you unlimited play time but you can only advance through about 3 months of the season. If you download the additional demo and want to purchase it you will need to come back to our site and buy it from the webstore and then just download the 2.2 patch, enter your code and you should be all set.

The 2.2 patch addressed an issue with green display for a course that has a hole right next to the edge of the screen and addressed wedge inaccuracies and the high amount of AI chip ins. If further tweaking is needed on those items we will continue to release updates.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks FrogMan, need to give this one a look.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Well, that new demo, combined with Bill Harris's latest play guide post on his blog have made it, I bought the game yesterday.

I sim most rounds and only actually play (with the one click method) the last round of tournaments in which I'm in a fun position, say in the top 35 or about. It makes for a sorta fast moving career and I'm about 3/4 done with my second season, still on the Nationwide tour (a rename from the original JAG tour in the game). Yeah, I'm struggling a bit, but it's fun, even though I'm about to go bankrupt. :o

I have learned one thing already. Don't undervalue the mental aspect of game. I had hired a coach with crappy mental/mechanics skills and my mentals got kinda low after the first season break and even though my physical skills improved, I have quite a few mental breakdown kind of rounds, you know 80+...

I have also downloaded two dozens extra course from tpgcommunity.net, bringing me to 30 courses in all. That makes for quite a bit of variety.

FM
Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #119
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

you know money drives everything in the world when you have to give up the use of the best balls and the near best clubs available on the market because you have only $3000 in the bank and some lower quality ball and club maker comes to you and offers you $28000 a year and free balls and clubs to play with theirs.

I was about to need new clubs ($2300) and a replenishment of balls ($500) that would have put me bankrupt.

FM
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #120
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I just finished my second season, missing the cut in the qualifying tournament by many, many strokes. At 20, I'm getting ready to start my third season on the nationwide tour...

FM
Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #121
KWhit
Coordinator

I'll agree with those above that the tri-click method makes the game WAY too easy. I just DLed the demo, created a rookie-stats level golfer and in my very first round I played shot a 60 in tourney play on the Jag (lowest level) tour.

Just missed a birdie putt on 18 for a 59. And that was the first round I played.

Yikes. I think I'll be turning off tri-click. Forever.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #122
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I'll agree with those above that the tri-click method makes the game WAY too easy. I just DLed the demo, created a rookie-stats level golfer and in my very first round I played shot a 60 in tourney play on the Jag (lowest level) tour.

Just missed a birdie putt on 18 for a 59. And that was the first round I played.

yeah, I play it much more like a sim, letting the skills of my player determine how Im doing. I don't sense any advantage by playing with the one click either, as I think my best round that way is a 70 or 71. I've also done plenty of 78 to 82 with the same one click method.

FM
Old 06-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #123
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wondered if you could sim the tournies. Now that I know you can, then I'll go ahead and check this out again.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #124
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I wondered if you could sim the tournies. Now that I know you can, then I'll go ahead and check this out again.

well, you go to your calendar and sim the days of the week. I you're entered into a tourney, you sim them round by round. You can even elect to go play the round and once within the "play round" screen, on the scorecard, ask for the round to be simmed hole by hole and you can rejoin the game at any time.

FM
Old 06-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #125
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is the wolverine website down for anyone else? Really want to check the demo out, but can't get on right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #126
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK, so I have the demo and no Welsh nationality in yet another game? Ian Woosnam? Bradley Dredge? Name me a Finnish, Danish, Austrian or Belgian golfer more well known than those two guys?

(only a semi-serious rant - but it is the second time in a week it has got to me after I noticed Fight Night had included Scotland and not Wales when Joe Calzaghe is one of the top fighters in the world and I couldn't name a Scottish boxer from the last 50 years)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #127
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

Yeah, seems to me that it would benefit from having a middle ground. Right now it's pure sim vs. pure arcade (although supposedly the tri-click speed changes w/ skills). I saw a thread over at Wolverine that i agreed with where you tri-click results should be like a multiplier of your abilities. That way even if you nailed it center ... w/ a crappy golfer you wouldn't guarantee the center of the fairway.

I'm sticking with the one click mode for the demo now. Pretty much following Bill's guidelines.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #128
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
you know money drives everything in the world when you have to give up the use of the best balls and the near best clubs available on the market because you have only $3000 in the bank and some lower quality ball and club maker comes to you and offers you $28000 a year and free balls and clubs to play with theirs.

I was about to need new clubs ($2300) and a replenishment of balls ($500) that would have put me bankrupt.

FM

I played most of my third season with that set of clubs and those balls but something felt off. I would sometimes have good rounds (69-70) followed by awful rounds (80+) for the simmed rounds. Now for the rounds I played myself, I'd found that even though my woods rating wasn't all that impressive (60 or so), I'd more often than not hit my driver very straight but would have trouble with my short irons, despite my short irons rating being much better (74 or so). My approaches would wander and my 4 to 7 irons would slice something fierce, leading me to bogey holes and often killing good tourneys in my last round. It still saved my career and I improved enough that I had a few good outings, one where I finished in 13th place, my best finish ever. I even qualified for the Nationwide championship tourney for the first time in three seasons, although I failed to make the cut and after that failed to earn a pass to play on the big tour.

So I'm back on the Nationwide tour for a 4th season and now with 83k in the bank, I'm tired of them bad clubs so I go and get the best there are. What happens next? Well, first round with them, I shoot my best round ever, a 66, sitting in first place of the tourney. I followed that with rounds of 73 and 74, now at -3 after three round in in 3rd place, one shot off the lead. Woah. Hopefully I won't destroy that round when I play it myself.

More to come later.

FM
Old 06-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #129
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Well, I shot a +2 74 in that last round to bring my total on the tourney to -1 and earn myself $30k and 4th place in a three way tie. Nice!

FM
Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #130
st.cronin
General Manager

Finally dled the demo, but I can't figure out how to disable the tri-click.

knives out
Old 08-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #131
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

On one of the first couple of character creation pages there's a check for tri click or single click.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #132
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

once you have started your career, you can switch between the two styles by going to the commissioner's office...

FM
Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #133
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
once you have started your career, you can switch between the two styles by going to the commissioner's office...

FM

Thanks!

knives out
Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #134
st.cronin
General Manager

So, this looks like a pretty nifty game, BUT ... whenever I exit out of the demo, I have to completely restart my system if I want to play again later. This is what happens: Start the demo, play for a bit, exit. Later, start the demo - I get a message saying "TPG2 is already running."

If this is a known issue with the demo, but is fixed in the full version, I will buy. But I don't want the game if it does this.

knives out
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 AM   #135
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So, this looks like a pretty nifty game, BUT ... whenever I exit out of the demo, I have to completely restart my system if I want to play again later. This is what happens: Start the demo, play for a bit, exit. Later, start the demo - I get a message saying "TPG2 is already running."

If this is a known issue with the demo, but is fixed in the full version, I will buy. But I don't want the game if it does this.

I believe this is largely fixed in the full game, but rather than restarting your system, you can just end the TPG process.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #136
Calis
College Starter

I was thinking about picking this up, especially after remembering the rosters and all the courses that had been user created for it. It looks like the site that hosted them was taken down though(TPGCommunity), is there anyplace to grab this anymore?

Hate to see a mod center like that go, makes purchasing it a tougher decision for me.

Last edited by Calis : 09-20-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #137
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I was thinking about picking this up, especially after remembering the rosters and all the courses that had been user created for it. It looks like the site that hosted them was taken down though(TPGCommunity), is there anyplace to grab this anymore?

Hate to see a mod center like that go, makes purchasing it a tougher decision for me.

If someone can provide them I can throw them up on a site.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #138
Calis
College Starter

Didn't get much of a response on finding courses and such. Not sure how big they are but does anyone hear happen to have a decent sized amount of them? Must be an easy way to zip a few of them up and put it on a Yousendit or something. The boards over there for the game seem pretty much dead. I guess I hopped onto this too late.

Would really love to get some of the user-created courses to try and model the real PGA more. Frustrating not being able to find any of these anymore.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #139
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Didn't get much of a response on finding courses and such. Not sure how big they are but does anyone hear happen to have a decent sized amount of them? Must be an easy way to zip a few of them up and put it on a Yousendit or something. The boards over there for the game seem pretty much dead. I guess I hopped onto this too late.

Would really love to get some of the user-created courses to try and model the real PGA more. Frustrating not being able to find any of these anymore.

You'd almost think that if a developer made this game that people could make mods for that they would also offer to host the mods for people... It's not like hosting is that expensive. Plus it adds value to your game.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #140
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
You'd almost think that if a developer made this game that people could make mods for that they would also offer to host the mods for people... It's not like hosting is that expensive. Plus it adds value to your game.

Well I wonder if there are legal issues involved with this? I know on like the roster for instance and maybe some of the real life courses it probably begins looking a lot sketchier if the developer of the game is hosting the files rather than an unaffiliated party.

No idea though, I just wish someone did because I want the things.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #141
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I have 37 courses on my drive here. Of these, I had marked 23 as good ones. I've uploaded a first batch of 8 to my adrive at the following link:
ADrive.com – 50GB of Free Online Storage & Backup

This one includes the following courses:
Augusta
Annandale
Bay Hill
Belfry
Deere Run
East Lake
English Turn
Firestone North

I'll upload two more file a bit later on.

FM
Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #142
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Well I wonder if there are legal issues involved with this? I know on like the roster for instance and maybe some of the real life courses it probably begins looking a lot sketchier if the developer of the game is hosting the files rather than an unaffiliated party.

No idea though, I just wish someone did because I want the things.

Exactly - I would love to host the courses directly on our site but I think that's probably a grey legal area at best. I'm working on trying to contact the people who did host that site and see if we can get the files and to see if we can find someone else who will run that site
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #143
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Here's a second zip file with 8 more courses:

Included in there are:
Firestone South
Forest Oaks
Fossil Trace
Kapalua
La Cantera
Muirfield Village
Oakmont
Pebble Beach

First file's filename was tier1-1.zip, this should save as tier1-2.zip.

FM
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #144
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

finally, here are the last seven of the better courses I had downloaded:

Courses included are:
Redstone CC
River Course
The Grove
Torrey Pines
TPC Scottsdale
TPC Summerlin
Winged Foot

filename should save as tier1-3.zip.

Hope these give you at least a bit to play with and are not simply doubles of what you already have...

FM
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #145
Calis
College Starter

Thanks a ton FrogMan. You've just made my day! Going to grab them now.

You wouldn't happen to have a roster would you with real life players either current or a classic one?

Either way, thanks again, I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #146
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Thanks a ton FrogMan. You've just made my day! Going to grab them now.

You wouldn't happen to have a roster would you with real life players either current or a classic one?

Either way, thanks again, I appreciate it.

I had this file called pga.mdb in the "imports" folder and if I go to start a new game, when I click on "use a player file" it what it offers, so can only assume it's the one...

No clue how current it is though, sorry.

FM
Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 AM   #147
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Exactly - I would love to host the courses directly on our site but I think that's probably a grey legal area at best. I'm working on trying to contact the people who did host that site and see if we can get the files and to see if we can find someone else who will run that site

I can provide the webspace, I got enough space and traffic I can provide.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #148
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
I had this file called pga.mdb in the "imports" folder and if I go to start a new game, when I click on "use a player file" it what it offers, so can only assume it's the one...

No clue how current it is though, sorry.

FM

Thanks again. I used this as a player file a couple times and the game kept crashing when I got to the first tournament. I eventually realized this was a file that changed the tour names to real life ones and changed the events to the real PGA events. Pretty neat mod, and makes it easier for me to set up a schedule.

Now to setup my schedule tonight and get ready for a long weekend of playing through these courses. I checked out a few last night and some are just really cool. I can't wait until I get to The Masters to see Augusta and to play through Pebble Beach which looks very nice.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #149
Calis
College Starter

Dola,

Not to be greeby, but would you by any chance have St. Andrews or Harbour Town? I was reading through a thread where SirFozzie had reviewed those and those were two of the three highest rated ones. It'd be a good way to round out my majors.

Seems like any course done by Tiger Fan over there gets pretty rave reviews.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #150
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Rise, oh thread.

Total Pro Golf 2 is on sale through Sunday for $9.95. I just downloaded it, created a golfer, and played a quick round.

I played with the tri-click method, but it seems really easy. From reading this thread, I take it I need to turn off the tri-click method to make the game harder. I'm hoping the one-click method makes things more challenging.

I'm wondering, though, are the course files available anywhere? The links I've tried are dead.

(I saw the thread on Music Wars which mentions this sale, but figured this was a better thread to post this in.)

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 04-08-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote