Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #101
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I liked Andy when he was on the original Conan, but ever since he came back to the Tonight Show last year (and even last night's show), he just seems out of place.

this
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #102
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Maybe it is because it was on TBS and not the Tonight Show and they couldn't get any better, but Seth Rogen was shit for a first guest. The dude is a buffoon and not funny.

That explains everything about your mindset.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #103
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
That explains everything about your mindset.

True. There's nothing wrong with not finding Seth Rogen funny, but if you don't, there's a pretty small likelihood you're going to like Conan O'Brien. Conan is kind of like the elder statesman of that comedy "era" that Rogen's bringing up the younger end of right now.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2010 at 05:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #104
spleen1015
Coordinator

But I like Conan.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #105
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I liked Andy when he was on the original Conan, but ever since he came back to the Tonight Show last year (and even last night's show), he just seems out of place.

It's almost as if they are trying too hard to get Andy involved in the skits. Seems like it's forced instead of just being natural.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #106
Suicane75
Coordinator

I too thought Rogen was not very strong. I got no problem with working blue but it just seemed out of place. He seemed nervous as well. Good shot he was stoned.

It's like, If I was at a party and he was talking to me like that, i'd be trying to work my way away from him.

His nervous laughs were a bit maniacal as well.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #107
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Tom Hanks is on tonight.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #108
Logan
Head Coach

When Andy put on the "Ex-Talk Show Host Mask" and said it smelled like tears inside, I was dying.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #109
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Last night's skit with the censoring guy was pretty damn funny.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #110
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It's almost as if they are trying too hard to get Andy involved in the skits. Seems like it's forced instead of just being natural.

Exactly my thinking
Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let the exodus begin. Ratings were still nice last night, but the show lost 1/3rd of it's audience versus the premiere.

‘Conan’ Second Night Averages 2.8 Million Viewers, 1.6 Adults 18-49 Rating
Old 11-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #112
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Let the exodus begin. Ratings were still nice last night, but the show lost 1/3rd of it's audience versus the premiere.

‘Conan’ Second Night Averages 2.8 Million Viewers, 1.6 Adults 18-49 Rating

Not a huge surprise really. Conan will be lucky to average that 900k-1m viewers I would think.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Not a huge surprise really. Conan will be lucky to average that 900k-1m viewers I would think.

Nope, not surprising at all. Although tbh my own guess is that the number will hold up a little longer than expected, maybe close to a month or so unless the guests skid into lame territory very quickly & the format doesn't overcome that handicap.

I think someone mentioned Tom Hanks as a guest this week, which struck me interesting because at 54 he's old enough to be the dad of the median aged viewer from opening night (30). I guess there's history with C and Hanks, but how many people think their dad's generation is cool/hip/whatever?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #114
Comey
College Starter

Hanks is the one who coined Conan "Coco". Hanks is also kind of timeless. For the 30-year-old, as I am, you have to think about what we grew up with:

Big
Forrest Gump
Apollo 13
Green Mile
Catch Me If You Can

Those are ones off the top of my head. He's always been money on SNL, and his greatest work is right in my wheelhouse of teenage pop culture.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #115
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I am 31 and I think Hanks is cool
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #116
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Hanks is the one who coined Conan "Coco". Hanks is also kind of timeless. For the 30-year-old, as I am, you have to think about what we grew up with:

Big
Forrest Gump
Apollo 13
Green Mile
Catch Me If You Can

Those are ones off the top of my head. He's always been money on SNL, and his greatest work is right in my wheelhouse of teenage pop culture.

Dude you forgot Turner and Hooch.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #117
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Cast Away
Saving Private Ryan
A League of Their Own
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #118
Comey
College Starter

I don't know how I forgot League Of Their Own, or Cast Away.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #119
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Toy Story!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratches head} Other than Gump, which I kind of understand the kitsch appeal of, there's not anything mentioned that I'd associate with the word "cool".

Some good movies, a decent enough actor in his own way, but the last time I would have figured he had the slightest "cool" cachet would have been when he was working with Peter Scolari.

{shrugs}
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #121
chadritt
High School Varsity

my housemates and I are all in our late 20s and we love seeing Tom Hanks as a guest on Conans shows. Aside from him being someone whos talented and likable he is a great guest. Hes not cool because his roles are cool, hes cool simply because hes awesome.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #122
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Conan O'Brien - Hanks Secrets
Uploaded by garlick75. - Sitcom, sketch, and standup comedy videos.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #123
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Late 20's here, and Tom Hanks is always an awesome interview for Conan. He's willing to go to that extra mile to make fun of himself (and/or Conan) whenever he's on.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #124
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
{scratches head} Other than Gump, which I kind of understand the kitsch appeal of, there's not anything mentioned that I'd associate with the word "cool".

Some good movies, a decent enough actor in his own way, but the last time I would have figured he had the slightest "cool" cachet would have been when he was working with Peter Scolari.

{shrugs}

What do you define as "cool"? I don't find Seth Rogen "cool", even know he around my age. Tom Hanks is awesome. Don't be fooled by my generation's taste.

As for Conan, I think his best guest, besides Norm, is Izabel Goulart:

hxxp://www.noob.us/humor/supermodel-izabel-goulart-on-the-conan-obrien-show/

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-10-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #125
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Tom Hanks kicks ass.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #126
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

{shrugs}

Bachelor Party?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #127
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola - I also think that The Man With One Red Shoe is highly underrated.

And it has Carrie Fisher in her undies.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #128
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

{shrugs}

Frankly, Jon, you don't strike me as much of an arbiter of "cool."

Cranky old bastard, yes, but we aren't discussing that, are we?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #129
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Dude you forgot Turner and Hooch.

I don't think he forgot.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #130
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Late 20's here, and Tom Hanks is always an awesome interview for Conan. He's willing to go to that extra mile to make fun of himself (and/or Conan) whenever he's on.

Conan should replace Andy Richter with Tom Hanks. That would be epic.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Frankly, Jon, you don't strike me as much of an arbiter of "cool."

I'm not so much attempting to define it, as acknowledging what seems to be universally recognized as such.

I mean, I'd sooner have my eardrums ruptured with a pickaxe than spend more than 5 minutes a year with any of the Idol wannabes, but I'm conscious of their existence & status in pop culture.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #132
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not so much attempting to define it, as acknowledging what seems to be universally recognized as such.

I mean, I'd sooner have my eardrums ruptured with a pickaxe than spend more than 5 minutes a year with any of the Idol wannabes, but I'm conscious of their existence & status in pop culture.

The problem with trying to define "cool" is that you start to lift a page from Socrates' Nicomachean Ethics when you do that.

'Cept instead of "do we become brave by doing brave acts?" you have instead "do we become cool by appealing to cool people?"

So...Tom Hanks. Is he cool because his movies appeal to cool people? Or is he, himself, cool people?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #133
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I am 31 and I think Hanks is cool

Exactly Hanks is cool, and his wife is hot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The problem with trying to define "cool" is that you start to lift a page from Socrates' Nicomachean Ethics when you do that.
'Cept instead of "do we become brave by doing brave acts?" you have instead "do we become cool by appealing to cool people?" So...Tom Hanks. Is he cool because his movies appeal to cool people? Or is he, himself, cool people?

Wouldn't cool, at least in this instance, as having an adequate number of people designate you as cool?

I mean, I believe the hot chick from G4 would qualify as having developed a cachet of coolness, even if most of her fan base lives in their parent's basement. Her cool factor isn't really affected by the degree of cool of her fans, or at least what I'm talking about (which is probably the equivalent of having a good Q Rating).

Prior to this thread, not once in my life have I ever heard the word "cool" associated with Tom Hanks. Now I have. {shrug} I'll stand corrected, no problem.

Maybe being a left-wing whack job is working for him. And again {shrug}.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #135
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Wouldn't cool, at least in this instance, as having an adequate number of people designate you as cool?

I mean, I believe the hot chick from G4 would qualify as having developed a cachet of coolness, even if most of her fan base lives in their parent's basement. Her cool factor isn't really affected by the degree of cool of her fans, or at least what I'm talking about (which is probably the equivalent of having a good Q Rating).

Prior to this thread, not once in my life have I ever heard the word "cool" associated with Tom Hanks. Now I have. {shrug} I'll stand corrected, no problem.

Leave it to Jon to insert politics into a Conan O'Brien/Tom Hanks thread.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #136
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

The political leanings of celebrities seldom significantly impact their 'cool' status. How often do you hear "He's a great (profession), but I can't stand him because he's (political affiliation)"?

Did New England decide that Curt Schilling wasn't cool anymore once he started (pardon the pun) shilling for George W. Bush's re-election? I don't recall any great hue and cry for the Red Sox to cut ties with him.

Same with a guy like Tom Hanks. His movies consistently do well, and that's probably has very little to do with his politics.

Otherwise, you'd have to consider that either the country is significantly more liberal than you'd otherwise think, or else that the movie-going demographic is just such that there isn't a market for an outspoken conservative leading actor/actress.

And if the latter is the case, then Hanks' politics aren't so much an active benefit to him as the removal of a hindrance.

I'm more inclined to believe that it's just a matter of Hanks picking his vehicles very well, so there's no "eww, that guy?" combined with the fact that he's just a charismatic dude.

Maybe he wouldn't be the answer to that middle school essay question, "With whom would you most like to dine?" but that doesn't preclude a "cool" status.

Last edited by SackAttack : 11-11-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #137
JediKooter
Coordinator

Pfft...Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies, hands down.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How often do you hear "He's a great (profession), but I can't stand him because he's (political affiliation)"?

The opposite seemed to work pretty well for Kanye

Quote:
Maybe he wouldn't be the answer to that middle school essay question, "With whom would you most like to dine?" but that doesn't preclude a "cool" status.

See, now that part I kind of disagree with you about. Not everyone who makes that list is cool, but generally speaking people perceived as cool do pop up on those pretty frequently (at least the ones I've seen answered). During the peak of the reality show, Ozzy wasn't showing up on lists because he was considered one of the great minds of the 20th-21st century.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #139
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Pfft...Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies, hands down.

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #140
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Julie Bowen was just on Conan.

Nice gams.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #141
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Julie Bowen was just on Conan.

Nice gams.

I got a thing for her. So sexy.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #142
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
For the fans, heres a link to the interview. She's mommy yummy.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #143
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

How can you not like Julie Bowen?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #144
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I got a thing for her. So sexy.

She is gorgeous.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Silly and weird to me but not in a way that causes me to walk away from the show: can Conan lose the silly facial hair?

Also, I would be much happier if this started at 11:30 or 12 rather than when it's on. Putting it on opposite Stewart/Colbert... seems like you're going after a lot of the same audience.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #146
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That was funny as well as "leggy."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #147
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Silly and weird to me but not in a way that causes me to walk away from the show: can Conan lose the silly facial hair?

Also, I would be much happier if this started at 11:30 or 12 rather than when it's on. Putting it on opposite Stewart/Colbert... seems like you're going after a lot of the same audience.

SI

I think the reason he *has* the facial hair is because he had that period where he didn't have to work, so he didn't have to shave...and now that he's got it, if he shaves it, he can't realistically grow it back.

Also, isn't that what DVRs are for?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #148
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I dunno- daily monologue sort of shows like that are kindof required to be watched that day. I know it's not necessarily timely as it's not like I'm getting news from them but the current events stuff loses some zing after the fact.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #149
Logan
Head Coach

I think Conan looks awesome with the beard.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #150
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think the reason he *has* the facial hair is because he had that period where he didn't have to work, so he didn't have to shave...and now that he's got it, if he shaves it, he can't realistically grow it back.

Also, isn't that what DVRs are for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I dunno- daily monologue sort of shows like that are kindof required to be watched that day. I know it's not necessarily timely as it's not like I'm getting news from them but the current events stuff loses some zing after the fact.

SI

I assume he means you could watch it at 11:30 or 12:00 the same night.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote