Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #101
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I am having some trouble with the link. Well the file I get from the link. It's Icon indicates it is a compressed file, but all that happens when I click on it is a popup indicatint the fbcb108.exe is not valid win32 executable. Am I doing something silly?
The file is an auto-unpacking archive. Trying downloading it again.

Just checking: did you shut down FBCB before trying to run the file?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #102
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I'm just purchased FBCB (trial ran out) and I have a question/comment. FBCB is the text-based sim I've felt like I have the LEAST control over. I think it's the kind of game it is. FOF/TCY, there are many many gameplan settings. OOTP, it's baseball, so it's all 1v1 matchups anyway. I've never done a basketball sim, so it's all new to me. I'm really not to sure how to set my settings/strategy. I've been hitting the "recommend" button and then adjusting from there.

Is there any rhyme/reason to the way any of you adjust your depth chart/team strategy/training pages? The reason I'm kind of concerned is that I won the conf. championship in year one with my mid-major Wright State Raiders, but in year two it's the most up-and-down season I've ever had on any text-sim.

Started 4-0
Then went 1-7
Currently on a 7-3 streak

This makes us 12-10 overall. Last year we were 19-13, and won the conference. I guess we did lose 3 heartbreakers in a row during the 1-7 slide. But I dunno which team of mine will show up...the team that whoops the opponent (we've had some impressive wins this year, including a 89-47 romp of Clemson) or the team that gets it hardcore (68-48 loss to VCU).
(End rant)

I think this is the comment I'd have to agree with most in the thread. Maybe I suck (and seeing my FOFC team I think you can see I do), but in my normal dynasty, I can never seem to get my team consistently good. The last year of my sim, I had 2 guys who were 1-2 in the conference in scoring and 1 was #1 in assists, yet my team went 6-10 in the conference, which is about normal. However, the same year I lost at #1 Duke by a point and beat #4 Texas at Texas. My team is a low major team, but I just can't figure out results sometimes. During conference play, I lost to the last placed team by 33 points at home. How? I never radically changed my team, and didn't mess with the settings too much.

Also, does anyone else have a "tourney team?" my team constantly underperforms during the regular season (though the current season my team made it through the preseason 8-2, with far less talent then normal), but picks it up in the conference tourney. I've never been higher than the 10 seed in the conference, yet I've made it to the conference final 4 out of 6 years. It just seems weird.

However, love the game, and I love how my top recruit was the top player in the conference for 2 years and how my 1* recruit was the #2 player in the conference (but they were both PG's).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:26 PM   #103
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
The file is an auto-unpacking archive. Trying downloading it again.

Just checking: did you shut down FBCB before trying to run the file?

I will give downloading it another shot. I have already done it a couple of times...it might be me. How big is the file supposed to be?

Oh the game was shutdown.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #104
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
How big is the file supposed to be?
6,885KB.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #105
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If you are having trouble with the main link, try this one:

http://www.fbbgames.net/FBCB108.exe
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #106
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
If you are having trouble with the main link, try this one:

http://www.fbbgames.net/FBCB108.exe

That's better. Thanks a ton HR.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #107
sjshaw
lolzcat

I have another question for HR or someone:

I let the CPU "coach" the games. Obviously, the CPU uses my game plan. When I go in and set the intensity setting, does the CPU use it too, or does the CPU reset it to whatever it wants to?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #108
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The one thing I would love to see in this series is player specific instructions like those in CM. For example I have a shooting guard who is a big threat from three, but his biggest assets are his defensive ability, and steals. He comes off the bench, and splits time with a starter who can't defend a lick but is a scoring machine. To really make use of my sixth man, I need to coach the games and make him my defensive stopper. I don't really enjoy coaching the game though, because I have to manage substitutions as well as strategy. I'd at least like to be able to make changes to my strategy and then hit the "sim game" button without having to worry about cycling my guys in and out. I just think the CM player instructions really make sense for basketball. After that just add some nifty 2d graphics, and you will have arrived.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:53 PM   #109
sabotai
General Manager

I really like Glen's idea. I second it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #110
sjshaw
lolzcat

I think the latest patch lets the assistant manage substitutions.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #111
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshaw
I think the latest patch lets the assistant manage substitutions.

It does, and I have used it several times for just the reason that Glengoyne stated.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:53 PM   #112
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I uploaded another build that includes the selection show option.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:55 PM   #113
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
I uploaded another build that includes the selection show option.

Cool, where can I get that? If I patch the game, will the patch work with an existing career?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:03 PM   #114
Ragone
Pro Rookie

dude.. selection show.. sweet
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:10 PM   #115
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hmmmmmmmm.... selection show... where can I get that patch version?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:25 PM   #116
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Normal link will work:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB108.exe
Old 04-04-2004, 06:26 PM   #117
Ben E Lou

Do you get an automatic popup after the last conference tourney?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:28 PM   #118
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'll let you know shortly Skydog.. i'm almost through a season with Eastern Kentucky now

Yep you get a pop up on the last conf tourney sunday

Last edited by Ragone : 04-04-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:29 PM   #119
Ben E Lou

Or I might beat ya to it. I'm on Feb. 15th in my current season.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:31 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Alright, I wasn't planning on playing a season tonight, but my plans just changed
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #121
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Ok.. i like the format and such.. the only thing that might be nice is having to hit continue to move on to the next region instead of it just jumping to next region.. Other then that i like it alot
Old 04-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #122
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

You can toggle through the regions at the end but if people would prefer to have the button do one region at a time I can do that as well.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #123
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Here are the standings after my first season (then a question).

Code:
1970 America East Standings CW CL Pct W L Pct ------------------------------------------------------ Stony Brook 14 2 .875 24 9 .727 New Hampshire 12 4 .750 27 5 .844 Vermont 12 4 .750 17 12 .586 Hartford 8 8 .500 16 13 .552 Maine 8 8 .500 10 20 .333 Albany 7 9 .438 13 17 .433 Northeastern 4 12 .250 12 17 .414 Boston University 4 12 .250 9 20 .310 Binghamton 3 13 .188 9 19 .321

Stony Brook beat me (New Hampshire) twice in the regular season but I finally beat them in the conf. tourament finals. They had an RPI of 61 while I had 34. If I had lost in the tourny finals, would I still have had made the NCAA 64? Stony Brook, byw, ended up the #1 seed in the NIT.

Do I assume that a team's RPI is the best indication of strength/weakness as oppose to record or prestige?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #124
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm thinking you would have been a 7 or 8 seed in the ncaa tourney buc.. with your rpi being what it was.... was you on the bubble watch?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #125
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Also, does anyone else have a "tourney team?" my team constantly underperforms during the regular season (though the current season my team made it through the preseason 8-2, with far less talent then normal), but picks it up in the conference tourney. I've never been higher than the 10 seed in the conference, yet I've made it to the conference final 4 out of 6 years. It just seems weird.

Just to quote myself (I've never done it in this manner), it seems my current team is the opposite of a tourney team. We went 4-9 Out of Conference, losing to all 5 teams in the top 50, and going 4-4 versus the 50-150. In Conference we won our first regular season title, going 13-3. So we're 17-12, our best record ever. What do we do? We get the first round bye and proceed to lose to the #10 team by 35 points, even though we shoot 48% from the field. Oh well, I was pleasntly surprised with the team. All 5 starters averaged over 10 ppg. Only 1 of them is graduating, with 2 of them redshirt freshmen. I thought this was my least talented team, but it seemed the uptempo, spread the ball game works well.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:13 PM   #126
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I'm thinking you would have been a 7 or 8 seed in the ncaa tourney buc.. with your rpi being what it was.... was you on the bubble watch?

I ended up being a #8 seed with the conf tourney win. Perhaps I still would have made it otherwise?

I almost asked in bold 'where is the bubble watch?????'. Then I thought to look at the pulldowns. All along I had thought the pulldowns were just duplicates of what were in the screens. Good grief, seems like you would have them in one place or another. I wondered what other cool AD-like stuff I missed my first season.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:22 PM   #127
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Has the recruiting process of international players been tweaked, where they are not "uncovered" players even if they may be a star?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:52 PM   #128
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Bucc:

Lots of team stats, recruiting class rankings, league-wide and conference-wide record books, coaching histories, individual stats up the wazoo, end-of-season awards, early departures are the things I can think of in menus but not in screens.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #129
ahbrady
High School JV

This game just keeps getting better. Thanks, HR.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #130
Ragone
Pro Rookie

bucc more then likely you would have been a 11-13 seed as a proverbial (last team in) kinda thing with a conf tourney loss i imagine

You think maybe a fbcb forum would be possible? as much as we discuss it with the strat's some have developed and written out sticky'ed on the top

Last edited by Ragone : 04-04-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:42 PM   #131
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I vote for an FBCB forum too. It's not that I mind seeing the posts in here. I'd just want a place here in which I know I'm welcome to discuss FBCB as much as I please.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:53 PM   #132
rjolley
College Starter

Not that it's a bad idea to have an FBB/FBCB forum here, but you guys are aware that HR has a forum set up, right?

http://www.fbbgames.com/forum/index.php is the link.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 PM   #133
sjshaw
lolzcat

Let me make another suggestion to HR: when printing the box score of a game, I'd like the output to include the "game summary" located to the right of the team summaries. Does that make sense? I'd like to see the FG and FT %, halftime score, etc. in my printouts, as it would help dynasty reporting.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:38 PM   #134
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

How about adding conference RPI? I mean, a ranking of conferences based on their RPI (plus being able to sort RPI's by conference). That'd be so so sweet. I can usually guess where my conference would end up, but this would help a lot (if it's feasible/not too much to add).

If this is remotely possible, I'll do a dance!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 PM   #135
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
Not that it's a bad idea to have an FBB/FBCB forum here, but you guys are aware that HR has a forum set up, right?

http://www.fbbgames.com/forum/index.php is the link.

As much as I'l like a FBCB forum here I don't think it would be wise. We don't even have a FOF forum here and the board is named after that game. It would be a slippery slope to add some games and not others. There was a time when we could have easily opened a CM forum and during seasons an OOTP one.

I like it a lot better that we're not really affiliated with any of these games and that we can and do talk about any and all games in the general forums. I just think it would add an entirely new can of worms to go this route.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:46 PM   #136
Ragone
Pro Rookie

We have a hat trick forum... and hat trick has its own forum..
Old 04-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #137
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
We have a hat trick forum... and hat trick has its own forum..

Never said I was for it.

Besides, hat trick is free and that makes a big difference.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:08 PM   #138
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
How about adding conference RPI? I mean, a ranking of conferences based on their RPI (plus being able to sort RPI's by conference). That'd be so so sweet. I can usually guess where my conference would end up, but this would help a lot (if it's feasible/not too much to add).

If this is remotely possible, I'll do a dance!

I think it would be pretty easy to add that to the polls screen.

Quote:
Has the recruiting process of international players been tweaked, where they are not "uncovered" players even if they may be a star?

Nothing has changed there in recent builds.

Quote:
Let me make another suggestion to HR: when printing the box score of a game, I'd like the output to include the "game summary" located to the right of the team summaries. Does that make sense? I'd like to see the FG and FT %, halftime score, etc. in my printouts, as it would help dynasty reporting.

That should be possible.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #139
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

How about an injury alert dialog box?
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #140
rjolley
College Starter

And an option to turn it off if you don't want to be alerted.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #141
Huckleberry
College Starter

Does anyone else feel like this title is under-supported by its developer? Or is that just me?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:37 PM   #142
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
How about an injury alert dialog box?

Go to team setup on the roster screen.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #143
Easy Mac

Is there a way to save my team's all time record against the top 50, 50-200, 200+?
Old 04-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #144
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Is there a way to save my team's all time record against the top 50, 50-200, 200+?

Not at the moment.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #145
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Please help. Can someone give me a guideline for how many of the 15 players on the roster should be filled in each of the position groups?

C/PF
SF
SG/PG

Also, how much would you suggest in each for non-freshmen?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:36 PM   #146
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Please help. Can someone give me a guideline for how many of the 15 players on the roster should be filled in each of the position groups?

C/PF
SF
SG/PG

Also, how much would you suggest in each for non-freshmen?

I know you hate micromanaging, and you aren't really that interested in the "game" of basketball here, but the answer to your questions really depends on what style of game your team plays, unless you just want to distribute players evenly amongst all positions.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 PM   #147
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm interested in starting the best 5 I can possibly have. It's my job (as in all of these types of games) to get the best possible, what I do or don't do with them is irrelevant. But what I stumbled on is something beyond just having 3 at each position. What position requires more depth than the others, if any? Let's say for a particular season, my coach recommends a heavy inside/post game. Does that mean I had better have more C/PF instead of 3 each (or something like that)?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-06-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:03 PM   #148
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There is another reason why I am asking. I developed a complex spreadsheet today that plans out my recruiting quantities for the next X years. I went with the assumption that I will not be starting freshmen and that I have an equitable distribution at each position. From that, I can instantly tell what I need to adjust on a season by season basis. I had to do this because I royally messed up on my first recruiting class. As of right now, the season after my current one, I will be left with only 1 C and 1 PF. It was not until a couple of nights ago I asked about who to recruit and SkyDog's suggestion made sense (look at your current Fr/So). I failed to do that and I will pay for it in 1972 (I just started 1971). My spreadsheet eliminates that mistake to make sure it plans ahead (by 2+ years) in making sure I get each of the positions covered. Now I need to know what is considered good coverage. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #149
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I'm interested in starting the best 5 I can possibly have. It's my job (as in all of these types of games) to get the best possible, what I do or don't do with them is irrelevant. But what I stumbled on is something beyond just having 3 at each position. What position requires more depth than the others, if any? Let's say for a particular season, my coach recommends a heavy inside/post game. Does that mean I had better have more C/PF instead of 3 each (or something like that)?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you just want to start your "best 5," you can do that no matter what. If you want to play five guys who are under 6 feet tall, you can do that (although you can forget about scoring inside if go that route).

Depth only matters to the point that you have to figure out which positions are going to get the most usage, and that boils down to the game plan. Of course, the players' stamina ratings are also important. I hope I don't come off as condescending, because I'm sure you know your stuff, but I think you're too locked into the "positions" of each player. If you have a 6'10" guy who's listed as a small forward, if you think he's strong enough to be a center, you can play him there. The gameplan really dictates where you need depth, so it is going to answer your question as well as any of us could (since we don't know your team at all).

I'm sure that somebody could suggest guidelines for you, but if you really want optimal success, you're going to have to do a little extra roster management of your own.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 PM   #150
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Bucc, you are approaching this all wrong. If you have 2 of each player, you have more than enough depth. That is a 10 player rotation, and most players can play 20 minutes per game without tiring. If you want a front line of 3 huge guys and play a 2-3 defense, then I think it is obvious you want a few extra PF/C. Recruit the type of player you want, regardless of position. I use SG at PG, PG at SF, your players do not have to play the position assigned to them during recruiting.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote