Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #101
RendeR
Coordinator

If you enjoy the Games Workshop gaming system at all you will love this game. its got pretty much everything and the few items that seem to be drawbacks are definitely NOT deal breakers.

I'm thrilled I bought this game.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
So everyone is enjoying it? I just found out it was released online today. I've been so out of touch with my current workload.

So, can I assume this is a must buy?

You can check the other thread for some general impressions. I'll just re-iterate a few of the high and low points that others have brought up:

My negatives:

- The money system is confusing at times.

- The game takes a long time to load (some are blaming this on useless animations.)

- The AI is generally good, but they can be made too play too passive if you play a very conservative style. However, this could be improving as I move to latter tournaments which seem to have more aggressive AI as they have more talented teams. The AI doesn't try at all costs to go for the score at the end of the half. Then again, I can see the counter argument to this that there are times when it is smarter to not go for it.

The pros:

Overall, the game is a great reproduction of the board game that takes away the tedium of controlling the dice, managing the rules, etc.

The AI is good enough to make single player tons of fun and with the blitz career mode, I find myself becoming attached to players and worrying about when they are going to retire (or die sooner, my favorite thrower died last game *sniff*.)

- This game really shines in MP mode such as this league. It's well implemented from the early games I've played with no lag/connectivity issues and I've had a blast in both of my games.

I've put somewhere between 15 and 20 hours into my orc campaign and am having a blast with this game and would recommend it. I'm about to put in another hour or two tonight if I can ignore the siren call of some Wood Elves that want me to start a campaign with them.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #103
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright.. here we go, Marc V and myself.. can the Woodies survive?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #104
Axxon
Pro Starter

Gertbeef, let me know when you want to play. Again, my available hours are tues-sat 5p++ arizona time and all day sunday or monday.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #105
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There will be mourning in the forests of Leaf Bay, as a Wardancer died trying to block a Orc Blitzer straight up (1db, skull, Cas, Dead, Apoc'd Dead!)
Old 07-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #106
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm not looking forward to my game with Chinaski, I'm down 3 guys to injury. Looks like an 0-2 start for the Maulers.

You never know though =) I hold out slim hope of an upset.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #107
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

1-1 final, a death on each side. the +ST WD got MVP (and is now just 1 SPP away from getting his 2nd skill).

Good game, Marc.

Fun Fact. The Treeman rental for the Elves got knocked down on turn 1, and the orcs spent the next six turns fouling him. They never broke armor till the final foul.. but that was ok.. he failed every stand up roll there was, and the ref never caught him anyway. :P
Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #108
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Heck of a match, really enjoyed it - each side played to their strengths and a draw was fair.

The Orcs steamrollered the elves nicely when we could catch em - the equaliser was a very good play by the elves combined with the natural inability of the Orcs to do simple acts like PICKING UP THE BALL ... grrr

Got my first level up and you'll be glad to know that the Blitzer in question took 'Dirty Player' so maybe I'll injure those pesky elves faster next time around

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-06-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #109
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, what a totally suck ass game for the Maulers. First half we tripped over our own feet on every play. handed the ball over 3 yards from the goal line not once but twice!! GRRRR

Then the second half we start just beating the living snot outta the rats. Literally...killed one, had him down to 7 guys on the pitch.

We got a TD and had a line on trying to come back when a riot takes 3 of teh final 4 turns away from us =(

Love this game but damn games like that one are frustrating.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #110
chinaski
College Prospect

Feral Squirrels take it 3-1, good game RendeR! If it wasnt for those crappy rolls, it would have been much closer. Now to replace my dead player
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #111
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So Axxon-Calis is the last game of week 2 to be played.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #112
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Gertbeef, let me know when you want to play. Again, my available hours are tues-sat 5p++ arizona time and all day sunday or monday.

Looks like the other matches are all done, so maybe we should try and get ours in tomorrow night so we can move forward. That sound good to you?

I'll need to do it a little early(early hours this week), I think you're two hours behind me now, so if we could start it up sometime between 6-7 your time that would be perfect for me. Let me know if that works for you.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #113
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Looks like the other matches are all done, so maybe we should try and get ours in tomorrow night so we can move forward. That sound good to you?

I'll need to do it a little early(early hours this week), I think you're two hours behind me now, so if we could start it up sometime between 6-7 your time that would be perfect for me. Let me know if that works for you.

Sounds good to me. PM me when you are home and ready.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #114
marcmoustache2
n00b

silly question, is the MP P2P or is it hosted on a central server?
marcmoustache2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #115
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmoustache2 View Post
silly question, is the MP P2P or is it hosted on a central server?

The rosters and such are held on the server, but the games are P2P afaik.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #116
marcmoustache2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
The rosters and such are held on the server, but the games are P2P afaik.

Thanks, so no pc to xbox compatibility or anything like that in the future?

You see I can justify getting my 5 year old an xbox, maybe, next year
marcmoustache2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #117
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No PC-Xbox compatibility.

But the good news is, I'll be getting it for 360 when it comes out.

If Axxon-Calis get their game done, when I get home from work we will advance to week 3, I will post the matchups and the handicaps.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #118
Calis
College Starter

Thinking I will pick this up for DS as well if it isn't a butchered version. Playing this on a mobile device would be a little slice of heaven.

Fozzie- I'm assuming that's you in Bill Abner's league that just got started? I snuck in there as well with a Chaos team again. Good luck in there, should be interesting to see a 28 team league and how that works out.

I will be home in a couple hours and can play anytime after that so I will shoot Axxon an email and get that finished as soon as we can. I'm not looking forward to the brutality involved in a Dwarf/Chaos game. There are going to be casualties.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #119
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup,, that's me.. when I get home tonight I'll have to see what team I play.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #120
Calis
College Starter

Final game of Round 2 is underway!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #121
Axxon
Pro Starter

The interface has officially killed this game for me. I'll finish this league then I'm done. I just had a dwarf killed after an apothecary roll would have saved him but I never got a choice as the computer selected dead vs miss one game. I'm so angry and frustrated right now it's insane.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #122
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
The interface has officially killed this game for me. I'll finish this league then I'm done. I just had a dwarf killed after an apothecary roll would have saved him but I never got a choice as the computer selected dead vs miss one game. I'm so angry and frustrated right now it's insane.

Ouch that's terrible. I wondered what happened there, if you had got 2 death rolls.

I do think the Apothecary thing is needlessly obtuse. It's a terrible way to show it.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #123
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ouch that's terrible. I wondered what happened there, if you had got 2 death rolls.

I do think the Apothecary thing is needlessly obtuse. It's a terrible way to show it.

I was just reading the choices and it chose. Notice my little run around there? Unplanned. Hadn't run into this before but it's ridiculous. Maybe it's my computer but like I said, never happened before. SIGH.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #124
Calis
College Starter

There is no way a Dwarf just caught that pass!

What the hell!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #125
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is no way a Dwarf just caught that pass!

What the hell!
That was sweet!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #126
Calis
College Starter

And your bad luck returns.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #127
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Thinking I will pick this up for DS as well if it isn't a butchered version. Playing this on a mobile device would be a little slice of heaven.

Fozzie- I'm assuming that's you in Bill Abner's league that just got started? I snuck in there as well with a Chaos team again. Good luck in there, should be interesting to see a 28 team league and how that works out.

I will be home in a couple hours and can play anytime after that so I will shoot Axxon an email and get that finished as soon as we can. I'm not looking forward to the brutality involved in a Dwarf/Chaos game. There are going to be casualties.

I'm in it too. My team is the Capri Pant Dandies.

FOFC Represent!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #128
Axxon
Pro Starter

All the animations and everything are going at 5x speed. It's insane. Forget the bad luck, that's part of the game. This is so discouraging since I really can't enjoy the experience.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #129
Axxon
Pro Starter

No idea how to make the ingame chat work either. I see you typing so I'm not ignoring you I just don't seem to be able to get that working either.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #130
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
No idea how to make the ingame chat work either. I see you typing so I'm not ignoring you I just don't seem to be able to get that working either.

Man that's aggravating. I just press enter and can type then press enter again to go back to normal screen mode.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #131
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man that's aggravating. I just press enter and can type then press enter again to go back to normal screen mode.

That's it. I didn't say that was broken only I didn't know how. Hah, I just said that and when I tried it the second time, no go. HAHAHA
Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #132
Calis
College Starter

You know, there really is an obscene amount of idle animations. They need to tone that down.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #133
Calis
College Starter

Axxon and I continue our glitchfest. My screen was stuck at the top, in his endzone while the ball was down near midfield along with all the players. So there was a turn wasted, and I think the ball was loose also.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #134
Axxon
Pro Starter

Nice game Calis.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #135
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Nice game Calis.

Nice game. The trip on the go for it one square from the endzone was really the gamebreaker there. I had open field after that, and instead of 1-1 it was 2-0 at the half. That's pretty tough for Dwarves to come back from.

Hope they patch out some of the issues, between the problems you've had and me having issues in both games with the screen sticking one direction it's aggravating, in multiplayer especially.

Was a fun game though.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #136
Axxon
Pro Starter

Yeah, twice ( had the same situation in the second half but your screen was stuck so you didn't see it ) I failed to roll better than a one ( apparently exceeding hard for my team ) which could have helped me score. Thems the breaks. The first of three deaths though I'll never forgive the game for because I didn't get to choose the better result. I wasted money on the useless apothecary.

Yeah, it was fun except for that.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #137
RendeR
Coordinator

To help with the slowness and the lag that I think caused Axxon's issues make sure you turn all the video options all the way down to min. The game looks almost exactly the same without all the extra bullshit they throw in.

The insane amount of idle animations is an issue to me too, just plain wasteful of RAM.

You can also make things move a bit faster by turning off the sound options for the announcers and the backround music.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #138
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
To help with the slowness and the lag that I think caused Axxon's issues make sure you turn all the video options all the way down to min. The game looks almost exactly the same without all the extra bullshit they throw in.

The insane amount of idle animations is an issue to me too, just plain wasteful of RAM.

You can also make things move a bit faster by turning off the sound options for the announcers and the backround music.

Maybe the Apothecary roll was lag but the animations were literally going at least 5 times as fast as last game. They weren't too slow they were speedy gonzalez on well, speed. It was insane. Still, I'll try that.

PS, even the apoth option flashed the alternative so fast all I could make out was that I would have a +1 to further injury rolls and then BAM, skull over my player. All three of my players btw were more advanced. I'm damned near 11 blockers at this point. If they weren't the dwarves who have good blockers it'd be far worse. I think I might still have one runner though, the guy injured last week. Thank god he didn't have to play.

BTW, another small issue. Both Calis and I had 930 point teams. He was given an extra 70k because his guy was dead. That's really not fair since this is just a one off boost and we were tied in points. Is this how the board game goes too? Seems odd.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #139
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One thing I've found to fix if the camera gets stuck.. if it's the opponent's turn, hit esc to engage auto camera, then esc again to disengage it.

Week Three is upon us. Games are due in a week from today.

Mordheim Maulers (RendeR) (0-2) vs Buck Tooth Brigands (1-1) (Kwhit) (Maulers get 90K)
Gertbeef's Minions (Calis) (2-0) vs Eaglesfan's Raiders (Eaglesfan27) (1-1) (Minions get 100K)
Leaf Bay Leapers (SirFozzie) (1-0-1) vs Feral Squirells (Chinaski) (1-0-1) (Leapers get 160K)
Chaos Engine (Marc Vaughan) (0-1-1) vs HiHoes (Dwarf) (0-2) (HiHoes get 230K)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-07-2009 at 10:01 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #140
Havok
College Starter

Just bought this game last night, so I'm in the next league!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #141
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I'm in it too. My team is the Capri Pant Dandies.

FOFC Represent!

Awesome! Love the name also. Should be fun, I will be playing my first game tonight against a Wood Elf team so who knows what will happen. I think the guy I'm playing is pretty experienced also so it could be ugly.

Axxon- not sure on the value, but I swear it said you had 1000 to my 930 in the standings. We each had a dead player and one levelled up, but the apothecary bumped up your value which I don't have. Otherwise I have no clue why it would do that.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #142
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Awesome! Love the name also. Should be fun, I will be playing my first game tonight against a Wood Elf team so who knows what will happen. I think the guy I'm playing is pretty experienced also so it could be ugly.

Axxon- not sure on the value, but I swear it said you had 1000 to my 930 in the standings. We each had a dead player and one levelled up, but the apothecary bumped up your value which I don't have. Otherwise I have no clue why it would do that.

It did say it in the standings but on my team screen it said 930. Also no one on my team had levelled. The only points I had in the first game was the MVP points on my injured runner. I had only 930 points on my team screen which is what even made me realize the issue and that has to include the apothecary because my team started at 1000 like we all had too and the apothecary came out of that value otherwise I'd have maxxed all the non players and that isn't how it works.

The only thing I can see is my guy was just out and yours was dead but that helped me squat in the current game.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #143
Calis
College Starter

Played my first game in Bill Abner's league tonight. I played against a Wood Elf team with my Chaos and got absolutely destroyer.

This is going to be a long league I think. I was definitely way out of my class against the guy I was playing, and it was never a game. The injury rolls were terrible for me as well as I had a couple die and two players who lost stats. I ended the game with 6 players on the field.

Was not pretty at all.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #144
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Played my first game in Bill Abner's league tonight. I played against a Wood Elf team with my Chaos and got absolutely destroyer.

This is going to be a long league I think. I was definitely way out of my class against the guy I was playing, and it was never a game. The injury rolls were terrible for me as well as I had a couple die and two players who lost stats. I ended the game with 6 players on the field.

Was not pretty at all.

Damn, Wood Elves with a mean streak no less...
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #145
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Was not pretty at all.

At least you'll get free loaners to get your team up to 11 players before the next game
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #146
aran
High School Varsity

It seems like there's reasonable interest in a second league. We should put together a list that would like in and if we can get more than 8 people, we'll proceed with starting up another league.

Is a new thread a reasonable idea for this? We already have two BB threads on the front page. I was thinking of organizing the second league here and starting a new thread if things went that far.

If you want in on a second FOFC private league, either send me a pm or post in this thread indicating that you are interested. I'll keep track of interest and let people know if/when we reach 8 teams.

Interested parties so far:
1. Aran
2. MacroGuru
3. SirFozzie
4. Havok

Last edited by aran : 07-09-2009 at 09:30 PM.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #147
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
It seems like there's reasonable interest in a second league. We should put together a list that would like in and if we can get more than 8 people, we'll proceed with starting up another league.

Is a new thread a reasonable idea for this? We already have two BB threads on the front page. I was thinking of organizing the second league here and starting a new thread if things went that far.

If you want in on a second FOFC private league, either send me a pm or post in this thread indicating that you are interested. I'll keep track of interest and let people know if/when we reach 8 teams.

Count me in.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #148
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

WOW. came back from 3-1 down (and receiving the ball in turn 13), to tie it at 3-3.

And I'm in for another league.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #149
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

oh. My. F***ING GOD.

My Wardancer got another skill (The 16 SPP one).

Would you believe +ST AGAIN!!!!!!!

8 5 4 7 (Block/Dodge/Leap)
Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #150
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
WOW. came back from 3-1 down (and receiving the ball in turn 13), to tie it at 3-3.

And I'm in for another league.

Just incredible Foz, I should have just stuck with my gameplan instead of cowering with my defensive offense /bows