Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #101
The Jackal
Coordinator

I bet Cooke will get 5-6 games. To ensure he doesn't play again vs the Avs and carry over into the next round if the Wild manage to come back.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #102
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Craig Berube waited over a decade to punch Jeremy Roenick in the face - Broad Street Hockey
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hell of a first period by the B's.

2-0 lead. Shut down the Red Wings offensively (I just missed the stat on how many shots they had, but there was at least a 8-9 minute stretch where they had none).

Forcing mistakes and capitalizing.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

4 shots for DET in 1st period
Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #105
The Jackal
Coordinator

This is an awesome hockey story
Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #106
Dutch
"Dutch"

Lightning 3rd string goalie (whats-his-name) is gonna get the keys to the city if he keeps this up.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #107
Dutch
"Dutch"

And the legend will be amazing if they survive this power-play with 2 minutes left in the 3rd period.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #108
Dutch
"Dutch"

He didn't survive it...oh well, good game by what's-his-name anyway.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #109
Dutch
"Dutch"

Kristers Gudlevskis is his name, fwiw.

All in all, it was a fun season of Lightning Hockey.

Last edited by Dutch : 04-22-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #110
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Detroit didn't look like they wanted to play tonight until the 3rd period.

I fucking hate Boston right now, actually a few of their players...with the weasel Marchand being #1 and Charra as #2. I would fucking go after both of them anytime I could if I was on the ice. Charra may whip my ass, but you know what, I wouldn't back down and run like some of the other players do.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #111
TroyF
Coordinator

Just had to laugh at this AP story of the Red Wings/Bruins game.

DETROIT -- Tuukka Rask finished with a 23-save shutout to give the Boston Bruins a 3-0 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night for a 2-1 playoff series lead.

Dougie Hamilton and Jordan Caron scored in the first period, and Patrice Bergeron added an empty-net goal late in the game. The Presidents' Trophy-winning Bruins are ahead for the first time in the opening-round series. And, it seems like a commanding lead the way Boston has played the past two games.

Detroit has to win Game 4 on Thursday night to avoid facing elimination when the series shifts back to Boston.

Jimmy Howard made 31 saves for the Red Wings, who needed him to make what appeared to be a routine stop midway through the first period on the first goal. He couldn't.

Poor Jimmy. He couldn't.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #112
The Jackal
Coordinator

Bleh. I didn't expect the Flyers to mostly own and lose in that fashion. Props to the Rangers for blocking so many shots.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #113
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Kristers Gudlevskis is his name, fwiw.

All in all, it was a fun season of Lightning Hockey.
Not even his best performance I've seen in the last 2 months... he was the Latvian goalie who made 55 saves and almost stole a win vs. Canada at the Olympics. Kid's only 21, he could be a good one.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

That goal must have felt so good for Carcillo.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Goal! Way to go, Sharks!!!!!!!
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #116
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That goal must have felt so good for Carcillo.

I want to punchisize his face
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #117
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I want to punchisize his face

As did I'm sure many of the fans who were cheering when he went down in a heap after blocking a shot, or booing when he went down after catching a blind shoulder to the chin as if he was faking.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #118
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As did I'm sure many of the fans who were cheering when he went down in a heap after blocking a shot, or booing when he went down after catching a blind shoulder to the chin as if he was faking.

In their defense it's kind of hard to tell when the Rangers are faking or not...you can get upset at that comment, but they have gotten 2 embellishment penalites so far this series. Not to mention when Hartnell bumped the guy from behind (and I am not excusing him for this action), but the Ranger player did play it up a bit.

That is NOT the reason the Flyers are losing the series. Rangers are doing a great job blocking shots and keeping the Flyers to the outside.

Edit; Carcillo is a guy you tolerate when he is on your team but dislike him when he isn't on your team.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-23-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #119
Logan
Head Coach

Since we were having the discussion a couple days ago re: Cooke and the NHL's methods of discipline, here's a good one to bring up. This went unpenalized and will in all likelihood have nothing come of it from the NHL. If there was an injury, or if the recipient wasn't Carcillo, I'd wager my life savings that would not be the case.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #120
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
In their defense it's kind of hard to tell when the Rangers are faking or not...you can get upset at that comment, but they have gotten 2 embellishment penalites so far this series. Not to mention when Hartnell bumped the guy from behind (and I am not excusing him for this action), but the Ranger player did play it up a bit.

That is NOT the reason the Flyers are losing the series. Rangers are doing a great job blocking shots and keeping the Flyers to the outside.

Oh of course, and I don't expect the fans in the arena to see what takes replays to see clearly. But I think that played a part in Carcillo's hands up/"fuck off" reaction to the goal.

The embellishment call on Dorsett (?) was 100% right, but I think the one on Zuccarello was wrong. He's a peanut who was getting checked and had a stick between his legs!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #121
Logan
Head Coach

And FTR, I don't think it was the worst head shot we've seen in any way, and I don't think Read necessarily intended to put his shoulder into Carcillo's chin. But that's the type of stuff that could end up happening when you're trying to give a chip shot to another guy away from the play.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #122
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh of course, and I don't expect the fans in the arena to see what takes replays to see clearly. But I think that played a part in Carcillo's hands up/"fuck off" reaction to the goal.

The embellishment call on Dorsett (?) was 100% right, but I think the one on Zuccarello was wrong. He's a peanut who was getting checked and had a stick between his legs!

Carcillo didn't exactly leave on the best of terms. He was very upset being a healthy scratch in the 2010 Finals. He's a guy that can be good for a game or two, then the idiot comes out in him. If you can bottle the idiot up he can be an asset. Kind of like Rinaldo for the Flyers.

I don't blame Carcillo for taunting the fans but the flipping off is just what you get. Just like when Jagr played for the Flyers, went to Pittsburgh and scored the goal. He saluted some lady in the stands and there's a picture of her flipping him off. Just the mass of idiots in the stands everywhere.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #123
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And FTR, I don't think it was the worst head shot we've seen in any way, and I don't think Read necessarily intended to put his shoulder into Carcillo's chin. But that's the type of stuff that could end up happening when you're trying to give a chip shot to another guy away from the play.

I know this isn't right but it happens in every sport with instances like this...you have a guy who is a trouble maker (for lack of a better term). Then someone picks on him or does something illegal...well since the guy is sort of an ass...it gets overlooked more than if it would have happened to someone else just because of who he is.

For instance if it happened to St. Louis...we may be talking fine or even suspension.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #124
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't blame Carcillo for taunting the fans but the flipping off is just what you get.

I don't think less of the fan for flipping him off. I think less of him for wearing his hat tilted sideways .
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #125
Logan
Head Coach

And officially nothing for Read. Find me the difference between that hit and Rupp on Oshie which got 4 games (besides the obvious).

Old 04-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #126
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Charra may whip my ass, but you know what, I wouldn't back down and run like some of the other players do.

Charra would wipe his ass with you.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #127
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Charra would wipe his ass with you.

I perfectly understand that, but to watch the amount of players that start shit with him, then run away because he is as big as he is just infuriates the hell out of me.

Take the beating, show him you aren't scared and it may help shit, hell who knows you may land a blow or two and make him rethink of starting shit with you...but I for one would know after I got in a punch, I would be his double ply charmin...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #128
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I fucking hate Boston right now, actually a few of their players...with the weasel Marchand being #1 and Charra as #2. I would fucking go after both of them anytime I could if I was on the ice. Charra may whip my ass, but you know what, I wouldn't back down and run like some of the other players do.

You seem to be a bit over-emotional about this.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #129
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
You seem to be a bit over-emotional about this.

Pot meet Kettle?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pot meet Kettle?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The one upside if the Wings go out quickly in the playoffs will be the end of their "Octopi Hockeytown" playoff slogan thing. It's the worst.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I believe bsak is suggesting you at times get abit emotional about your sports team yourself, so somewhat ironic to point it out in others.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #133
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I believe bsak is suggesting you at times get abit emotional about your sports team yourself, so somewhat ironic to point it out in others.

Ding ding ding
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #134
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:

Frankly I was surprised Read wasn't penalized on that play.

And the penalty that Carcillo took before he scored really wasn't a penalty.

I can be perfectly calm and rational, doesn't make me want to punch him any less at the moment - that's because he's doing his job properly. If he was failing at it I'd just be laughing at him.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #135
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ding ding ding

Emotional AT my team, not at hating players on other teams.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #136
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Emotional AT my team, not at hating players on other teams.

So you didn't go on a hate tirade on James Neal earlier this season?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-23-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #137
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Fleury played really well tonight... Except for the game-tying goal with 20 seconds left and the knucklepuck OT game winner.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #138
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Fleury played really well tonight... Except for the game-tying goal with 20 seconds left and the knucklepuck OT game winner.

Sucks for him, because for the most part he's put the last 2 horrible playoffs behind him this series. He's been left out to dry a ton.

And I'll still argue that's the right play...settle the puck, move to the D coming back, off the glass, out of the zone. Done. Right play...horrible execution.

And sucks for him because he bailed the team out most of the 2nd and 3rd. Malkin has been good, not great, but at least somewhat threatening. Crosby has been MIA. Nature of the position, but when MAF makes a mis-step, nobody can bail him out.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #139
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Sucks for him, because for the most part he's put the last 2 horrible playoffs behind him this series. He's been left out to dry a ton.

And I'll still argue that's the right play...settle the puck, move to the D coming back, off the glass, out of the zone. Done. Right play...horrible execution.
I think going out to play the puck was the right initial play, but once it took that funny bounce just get back in the net.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #140
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I purposefully have stayed off Facebook til later when hopefully some awesome pens rants will pccur
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #141
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We go ahead 3-2 and then WHAT THE F!@@#%$
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #142
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And officially nothing for Read. Find me the difference between that hit and Rupp on Oshie which got 4 games (besides the obvious).

The obvious being that one was a targeted shot to the head and the other was a chip in passing that wasn't initial point of contact to the head?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #143
Logan
Head Coach

Haha ok. What part of Carcillo's body did he hit first? The chin is part of the head last time I checked.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #144
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Haha ok. What part of Carcillo's body did he hit first? The chin is part of the head last time I checked.

I don't want to get into an arguement with you cause we are both pretty passionate about our teams. I looked at the video...yes Read hits him on the chin, however Read never did seek him out. His direct skate path doesn't change, and one could argue that he was bracing for a hit by Carcillo (and one could argue that he just shot his arm out to hit him).

That's just my 2 cents, but I can also appreciate your view on this matter.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #145
Logan
Head Coach

I'm with you. Like I said in my original post, I don't think he was trying to injure Carcillo. I think he was trying to chip him and it caught him on the chin. I think the NHL should penalize that, whether it was intended or not, because that's exactly what could happen when you do things like that.

What I will argue like hell is that the contact point was the chin, which you acknowledge, so no argument here good buddy .
Old 04-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #146
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

There was nothing to be penalized for there. It was two skaters colliding, no attempt to hit. You're fooling yourself if you are trying to compare incidental contact with targeted.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #147
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
There was nothing to be penalized for there. It was two skaters colliding, no attempt to hit. You're fooling yourself if you are trying to compare incidental contact with targeted.

Props to you for moving off "initial contact point wasn't the head" so quickly.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #148
The Jackal
Coordinator

Did we talk about Cooke getting 7 games yet? I'm good with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Did we talk about Cooke getting 7 games yet? I'm good with it.

I'm good with it in he takes him out of this series. Previous pages discussed how it should, but never will, work. Cooke got what amounted to 17 in 2011. That's down to 7 now. Not sure how that's sending a message.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #150
Logan
Head Coach

I know the standard is one playoff game = two regular season games. Seems like they should apply that literally in the case of a team getting knocked out. If they lose the next two, have him sit 10 next year.