Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #101
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Using history as a guideline, Nintendo is right on time with their next generation console. The generations seem to happen 5 to 7 years apart, and Wii U will be out 7 years after Xbox 360 started this generation. I wouldn't say that Nintendo is jumping the gun. It seems to me that Microsoft and Sony are attempting to hold this generation in place as long as possible.

This is just a guess, but I would be shocked if we get out of 2013 without a Microsoft or Sony next gen console.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I don't think Nintendo has even decided what the specs will be, yet. Also, plenty of people have said it appears to be much better than ps3/360 power based on what they are showing now (which there is no indication will be the final product, horsepower-wise--launch is still well over a year away).

Even if it is better, the cross-platform games are all going to be sync'd up to look exactly the same. Given that this was a problem with the Wii, the increased specs will do absolutely nothing to help this situation. If anything, if the first party games have a higher level of quality than the cross-platform and third-party software, it will only exacerbate the problems that we've seen in the Wii in that regard.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that they've announced the hardware 15-18 months from release. They could lose a lot of momentum with a lame-duck system which is going to be replaced by what amounts to an accessory update with higher current-gen specs.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Using history as a guideline, Nintendo is right on time with their next generation console. The generations seem to happen 5 to 7 years apart, and Wii U will be out 7 years after Xbox 360 started this generation. I wouldn't say that Nintendo is jumping the gun. It seems to me that Microsoft and Sony are attempting to hold this generation in place as long as possible.

This is just a guess, but I would be shocked if we get out of 2013 without a Microsoft or Sony next gen console.

Get ready to be shocked. They're going to hold to the 10 year timeframe here. There's absolutely zero incentive to upgrade as quickly as they have in the past. The jump in hardware just isn't the same as it was 10-15 years ago. Add in that Nintendo isn't leapfrogging them by much at all technically, and they have no reason not to ride out longer what is the most profitable section of the life cycle.

Edit: I'd note that the argument as to whether it's their best move is still up for discussion, but there's little question that the PS360 is going to hang around for at least 3 more years.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-08-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #104
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I think the devs are pushing for new consoles but not the gamers. I work in the gaming industry and I have yet to hear someone say that they're anxious for the next gen to arrive. These consoles are still powerful enough. What can you really add at this point? We're already doing 1080P graphics. The 3D thing is in there (even though no one cares). Microsoft has their Kinect to try something different with their console.

I'm guessing Fall of 2013 when we see the next MS / Sony releases.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #105
gstelmack
Pro Starter

1 or even 2 GB of RAM would be really nice. Beyond that, eh.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nintendo stock dropped another five percent in trading yesterday. It's down nearly 10% in the two days of trading since the Wii U announcement.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #107
MJ4H
Coordinator

It plummeted when the Wii was announced, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #108
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And Sony is down around 7.5% since just before E3. Microsoft down about 50 cents.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #109
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And Sony is down around 7.5% since just before E3. Microsoft down about 50 cents.

Absolutely. It's a direct reflection on the general public's perception of new systems. As noted earlier, the current economic climate along with the good quality of the current systems is dictating that the public isn't interested in new releases right now. Sony and Nintendo have a rocky go ahead of them trying to release at this point in time. MS may be the smartest at this point by just sitting put. That's exactly what most want.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
MS may be the smartest at this point by just sitting put. That's exactly what most want.

Not only is that what I want, I'd be downright f'n hostile if they raised the spectre of needing to buy a new console (since new = death of development for current) any time soon.

I'll probably be hostile about it 5 years from now too, but better then than now.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #111
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I just wish Microsoft would just admit what the Kinect is. It is great for parties, kids, and non-gamers. Stop trying to tell me I need to come home from work and then stand in front of my TV and wave my arms around rather than just sitting in a chair with my controller.

Make Dance Dance and any other Kinect game you want but stop telling Devs to waste time and money on Franchises such as Fable and Mass Effect(or any other game aimed at adult gamers) by making them Kinect friendly. Continuing to do this will only push me away from the brand.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-10-2011 at 07:05 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #112
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I agree. I got Tiger Woods for the Wii and lasted a few hours. By the time I have a chance to play video games it's usually past 9pm and I have to get up at 5am the next day, so the last thing I want to do is play a full round of golf standing up. I traded that game in quickly for the 360 version which I can play relaxing and sitting down.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I just wish Microsoft would just admit what the Kinect is. It is great for parties, kids, and non-gamers. Stop trying to tell me I need to come home from work and then stand in front of my TV and wave my arms around rather than just sitting in a chair with my controller.

Make Dance Dance and any other Kinect game you want but stop telling Devs to waste time and money on Franchises such as Fable and Mass Effect(or any other game aimed at adult gamers) by making them Kinect friendly. Continuing to do this will only push me away from the brand.

Oh my brother, TESTIFY !

The height of the absurdity is watching/listening to Major Nelson hype how great something is with Kinect. Uh huh. Right. His fat ass doesn't have any more gaming interest in turning games into aerobics than mine does.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-10-2011 at 08:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote