Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #101
Calis
College Starter

Eventually got everything to recognize and downloaded. Not really sure what fixed it, but it might have just been a bit slow to recognize the changes to my account.

All is well now and firing it up.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Eventually got everything to recognize and downloaded. Not really sure what fixed it, but it might have just been a bit slow to recognize the changes to my account.

All is well now and firing it up.

Did you have to do all of this because you got some special pre-order content, or is this something everyone buying the game will have to go through just to get it up and running?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #103
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Did you have to do all of this because you got some special pre-order content, or is this something everyone buying the game will have to go through just to get it up and running?

I think it's people who have the deluxe edition or who pre-ordered. They have to register their keys to get their bonus content.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #104
BYU 14
Coordinator

Returned from Yoga and have 3 minutes left on my download...woohoo.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #105
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think the beeping and the screen flickering I am experiencing may have something to do with overheating some where. I did a little research online and found stuff saying it might be that.

I played DA:O for about an hour and it did it pretty much the whole time, then my monitor went totally dark. The lights were still on on my PC. So maybe the video card was overheating?

About the game, I am loving the experience so far. The game is very well done. The game looks really good and I am excited to see what's next in the story.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 11-03-2009 at 09:05 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #106
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I have to say I've been VERY impressed with Steam for my downloads of Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins. I was very leery of downloadable full games because not only do I enjoy reading a paperback manual, I like having the jewel cases and games for my collection. Also, I was nervous about downloads screwing up, etc. However, Borderlands went off without a hitch, and Dragon Age: Origin not only went off without a hitch, but while I was at work all day, it automatically unlocked it and finished the install with no input from me (other than turning on my computer in the morning). I'll be back in a few minutes to give a small review on the intro and opening...I only have a few minutes to play tonight

EDIT - Not so fast...having issues.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-03-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #107
Calis
College Starter

Got a couple hours of play in tonight, but unfortunately have to turn in early. I really like what I've seen so far. I think it looks nice, it's definitely not cutting edge graphically and you notice that more when you zoom in but out in the strategic view it looks very nice. Combat feels very Baldur's Gate-ish and that's what I had hoped. I think I'll have fun messing around with the AI scripts when I dig into them and wrap my head around it better.

Great voice acting, a couple genuinely funny moments, and no real complaints yet. It's obviously extremely early there so we'll see. It feels like they actually built the interface and system for PC also, it has a good one unlike Mass Effect for PC. You can tell it was the lead platform. I'm actually curious to see the console game now and see how it works. I think these versions are much more different than most people are thinking.

The social site and that part of it is bordering on a complete failure imo. I had countless issues with getting it to actually accept my info and update it, and then I got in a weird endless loop with it asking for my birth date. It also announces the Toolset as being released and all the links to download actually go to 404 error pages. I look it up in the forums and see Bioware has said that they haven't released the tools yet, not sure exactly when that'll happen.

It's obviously not ready for release and they weren't ready for the onrush of people. It's a headache and can paint a bad first impression of the game. There are things obviously not setup and things that don't link correctly but there's no indication of this.

I'm really anxious to see the tools as well. I'm really hoping they're as solid as we were led to believe. This appears to be a much much better engine than Aurora so I hope we see NWN level tools or even better.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #108
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Looks like they've resolved my issue as well. When I clicked on "Redeem Code", this time it prompted me for the keys. I entered them and they were successfully redeemed. When I looked at Content Currently Downloading, ALL of my pre-release bonuses are being downloaded. A frustrating start from that perspective, but I am loving the game so far!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #109
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, that was depressing. Though it said "100% - Ready" in my Steam 'My Games' tab (similar to my other games), apparently it was NOT unlocked. After locking up my system once, it's now starting to decrypt...looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to play after all.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #110
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think the beeping and the screen flickering I am experiencing may have something to do with overheating some where. I did a little research online and found stuff saying it might be that.

I played DA:O for about an hour and it did it pretty much the whole time, then my monitor went totally dark. The lights were still on on my PC. So maybe the video card was overheating?

About the game, I am loving the experience so far. The game is very well done. The game looks really good and I am excited to see what's next in the story.

It sounds like the video card, mine did that with Blood Bowl before I upgraded, that sucks you can only get an hour or so in at a time.

Working well with SP2 for me, completed the origins tutorial and I am totally hooked. Some of the reviews downplayed the graphics, but I think they are nicely done. I also love the depth of the story telling and codex, helps build a nice little history and adds to the immersion.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #111
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One thing I've noticed is if you access the Documentation option from the game launcher, it takes you to some really helpful info that I think would have helped a lot of us - not only does it go over all the various logins, make clear what needs to be done to access preorder bonuses, etc, but it also has a lot of very specific technical problems that could happen with the game and gives suggestions.

Also, one thing that is starting to bother me is that each origin starts with two skills - I wish they would tell you which skills in advance. Personally I'd prefer if there were no pre-selected skills at all, but it would be nice to know if your origin starts with skills you have no interest in, or whatever.

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-04-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #112
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It sounds like the video card, mine did that with Blood Bowl before I upgraded, that sucks you can only get an hour or so in at a time.

Working well with SP2 for me, completed the origins tutorial and I am totally hooked. Some of the reviews downplayed the graphics, but I think they are nicely done. I also love the depth of the story telling and codex, helps build a nice little history and adds to the immersion.

I switched it over to windowed mode later last night and I didn't have the flicker/beeping going on. I will play with it like that for a while tonight and see what happens. At this point, I'm pretty sure my video card may be over heating. I will likely clean out my case tonight too just to make sure.

One way or another, I will play this game, even if it means I have to go buy a new PC.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #113
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I played about 3 hours last night with the PS3 version. I see this one taking up a lot of my gaming time - that's for sure! The story so far has been really good and I can't wait to get more involved in it. I started out as a Elf Mage and I think I'm at level 6 or 7 now. The controls are very easy to get use to but I do see how the "hot" buttons would be easier to use on the PC. You pretty much have 2 sets of 3 hot buttons - one set is always up and the other set you can use by holding the RT button. I don't see a problem with the controls at all but I do have a couple issues. 1) maybe it's my color blindness but it's hard to see your companions health meter. 2) since the camera is over the shoulder view - it's hard to see how many or what you're attacking.

Overall - I really enjoyed my 3 hours of game play last night and can't wait to get back in to the World of Ferelden.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #114
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Overall - I really enjoyed my 3 hours of game play last night and can't wait to get back in to the World of Ferelden.

I think I am going to end up buying this sooner rather than later. And I am sure once I start playing it this will stop, but whenever I read the word "Ferelden", I always read it as Federline.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #115
Galaril
Pro Starter

Ok. I picked up the PC version yesterday on the way home from work. The install took about 20 minutes so yes itis a big game GB wise. The guy at the Gamestop gave me a card with the game for a couple of cool DLC items for those who preordered the game there though I did not Also, inside the game there was a couple of other DLC things like the Shale Warrior quest, character, a dragon armor, and another item or two. All in all pretty good.
My first impressions are just wow this is a great game after about 2-3 hours of play time so still early but first impressions are REAL good. I started my first character with my 7 year old daughter helping me create the character appearance. I read a ton of reviews and impressions from various places that made it sound like character creation was ho-hum. All I can say to that is geez take off the Vulcan ears nerd and go out outside. The creation stuff was more than adequate for my needs. Anyways we chose a male Human Rogue that we will turn into a ranger later on. The only option for this the noble origin story. I will not give any spoilers but I will just say the story just in the short time I have spent with it is awesome. I am curious if it will continue throughout the game or if it is just good at the beginning. The world is beautiful and IMHO the graphics are very similar to The Lord of the Rings Online world in both appearance and feel. I found myself gawking at the Ostagar fortress and the world really feels immersive. I love the history of the world and the back story is great for it all. I really got the feeling like I was actually in the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies.The story, world, characters are a cross between Jackson's LOTR and George Martins Fire and Ice series. I shit you not. The voices are excellent and the music I enjoyed. Combat is as others have said very Baldur's Gate which I liked a lot. One thing I would list as a con was that the combat could be a bit frantic and fast paced and pausing the action is the only way I can see handling orders. This one felt less like Neverwinter Nights and more like BG to me. Characters are great and I already felt some emotional connection to a number of them. The initial starting Origin area had me literally on the edge of my sofa as my 2 year was launching the cat across the family room and my wife yelling at him I was ranging through the the Wilding forest (great fun). This one is going to get some real look as game of the year for sure.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-04-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #116
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
2) since the camera is over the shoulder view - it's hard to see how many or what you're attacking.

They mention this in the tutorial but there are basically two game modes - the close, over the shoulder camera is more for exploring. When you're in combat you can scroll back on the mouse wheel and it will go to an overhead view that makes tracking all the combatants a lot easier, and let you pan around the battlefield by holding down the mousewheel and moving around.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #117
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
They mention this in the tutorial but there are basically two game modes - the close, over the shoulder camera is more for exploring. When you're in combat you can scroll back on the mouse wheel and it will go to an overhead view that makes tracking all the combatants a lot easier, and let you pan around the battlefield by holding down the mousewheel and moving around.

That's the PC interface. He's playing on the PS3.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #118
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just venturing into the wilds now and getting the hang of tactics, which I am beginning to see are very well done and do make a difference in battle. I also like the BG style combat with the ability to pause and collect yourself. No complaints at all so far.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #119
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm loving this game.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #120
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I played for a couple of hours last night and I have a couple of combat related questions. I picked an Elf Rogue (I tend to favor Ranger type characters). So he's really a back line party member. Do you often switch which character you are controlling? I often switch to the Warrior as he leads the party into batle. But whenever I do, I find myself distracted with what my character is doing. Secondly, are you frequently pausing to set up tactics. I really think I am missing that whole piece (in other words, I haven't changed the defaults on them yet).
Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #121
aran
High School Varsity

I have turned off auto tactics on my party and do it all manually now. I find that I do a much more efficient job of picking when and where to use the characters' abilities. I pause battle every few seconds to give whatever orders are necessary. The game forces you to pause if you want to do anything more than issuing one order, because there's no order queuing system aside from using the tactical settings. That's probably the primary problem I have with an otherwise great game.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #122
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I played for a couple of hours last night and I have a couple of combat related questions. I picked an Elf Rogue (I tend to favor Ranger type characters). So he's really a back line party member. Do you often switch which character you are controlling? I often switch to the Warrior as he leads the party into batle. But whenever I do, I find myself distracted with what my character is doing. Secondly, are you frequently pausing to set up tactics. I really think I am missing that whole piece (in other words, I haven't changed the defaults on them yet).

I was doing the same as Aran mentioned, but have done some experimenting and think I have a pretty good set up now. I would set your Warrior on scrapper, set someone up as a defender (on either you or a spellcaster) then you can focus on picking the enemies apart with you bow skills.

I do this, but still pause here and there to issue specific orders as needed or swallow a potion if someones health is getting low.

Guess it boils down to playing style and the system offers enough flexibility to employ tactics as much or little as you like.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #123
sabotai
General Manager

So far, I've been controlling my guy most of the time in combat (Elf Rogue). I pause and heal up when needed, and I'll switch to any mage character in order to use the spells.

The tactics system looks pretty good, and when I can stop actually playing the game for a bit, I'll dive into it and see if I can really set up a few good tactics for my guys so I can not worry about them.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have the disc version which I've just installed. Are the extra items stored on an EA account or the disk drive? I'm worried that if something messes up when I upgrade to Windows 7 soon, that I might have to re-install the game and don't want to lose the extra items.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #125
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I have the disc version which I've just installed. Are the extra items stored on an EA account or the disk drive? I'm worried that if something messes up when I upgrade to Windows 7 soon, that I might have to re-install the game and don't want to lose the extra items.

i think its tied with your EA account.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #126
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I don't know what just happened... It's all a blur.

The other day when figuring out my "fun" cash for the next month I decided that the excesses over the next few weeks were the Bob Dyan concert I went to last night, Modern Warfare 2 next week, and the new cell phone next saturday.

I took some movies back to the video store, checked the video game section. After hearing all the positive reviews I wanted to at least check it out, as I was a big fan of Bioware's old school RPG games on PC. They were all checked out. Next thing I knew I walking out of Gamespot with this game... So much for the planned spending, eh.

I can predict the same thing will probably happen when Left 4 Dead 2 comes out.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #127
BYU 14
Coordinator

Tactics are even bigger than I thought, I am attempting to take a Tower and the last guy between me and success is wiping the floor with my party, combat is definitely a challenge at times, which is a good thing.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #128
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I haven't even done anything yet (just barely finished the background intro) and this game is amazing. I apologize for adding fuel to the flames for those attempting to not buy this game, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Whoever said they feel like they're in a Lord of the Rings-like world wasn't kidding...when I first got to Ostagar, I took about 5 minutes just looking around.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #129
KWhit
Coordinator

Yep. I'm freaking loving this game.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #130
sabotai
General Manager

They definitely did not just rush through the origin stories. I've played through three of them so far and they all were great and different. Not just the same story told three times with different NPC names and maps. Each one was a unique story.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #131
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I haven't even done anything yet (just barely finished the background intro) and this game is amazing. I apologize for adding fuel to the flames for those attempting to not buy this game, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Whoever said they feel like they're in a Lord of the Rings-like world wasn't kidding...when I first got to Ostagar, I took about 5 minutes just looking around.

That would be me that mentioned that.Just wait till you get to some of the battle scenes Helms Deep -ish. I would after playing more tonight have to reiterate that this game is just incredible and blows my mind away how good it is. The story really is a George Martin meets Tolkiens/Pete Jackson's Lord of the Rings. If anyone is on the fence go buy the PC version and have at it. I would recommend the hard copy the DVD box version had a bunch of cool (I thought so) addons well two and I got two from GAMESTOP like I mentioned.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #132
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

After playing through the origin story, I was in love with this game. After playing through the "generic" (and the only thing generic about it is that everyone gets to play that part) intro, I am even more impressed and can't wait to get further into the game.

This game is going to take me FOREVER to get through. I'm having just as much fun reading Codex Entries and looking around as I am playing through the storyline.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-05-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #133
Peregrine
Pro Starter

They definitely did a lot of little things right in this game. The party camp idea is well implemented and lets you take a break from time to time, and just talk to your party members. I also like how easy it is to switch who you have in your active party. I have also been blown away by the quality of the dialogue in the game, particularly in how they have avoided many of the cliches in RPGs. NPCs are always responding in ways that surprise me, and there's often not one obviously right way through a dialogue.

I am having some trouble with some of the heavy combats though - not sure why, but some of these things are really killing me.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #134
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

It's funny people mention the George RR Martin connection they feel. I originally heard about that series from a Bioware person (Dave G., can't remember his last name) back in the BGII days. He was very much a fan of Martin and it's not overly surprising that he may have had a hand in shaping the game to tie in closely with some aspects of the series (assuming he's still with them, otherwise it could just be a coincidence).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #135
Calis
College Starter

It wasn't David Gaider was it? Thatd fit as he is the lead writer on Dragon Age and has been there since I think the first Baldur's Gate, but definiteluy the 2nd.

He also wrote the novels which are supposedly very Martin-esque so that sounds about right.

Really loving the game, but man is it difficult at times. Maybe I'm just rusty but there seems to be huge spikes in difficulty at least on the PC version. You're never in little skirmishes, its almost always a horde of enemies. Not frustrating yet but you definitely have to be paying attention.

Getting better at situating my rogue for backstabs has made a huge difference.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #136
Atocep
Coordinator

Absolutely an amazing game thus far. For me it's lived up to hype and then some.

The interactions between party members are entertaining and downright funny at times. I love the fact that the dialogue options don't hold your hand. The fact that it's not always obvious what a NPC's reaction will be to what you say is a huge plus for me. The vast majority of RPGs give you a good, bad, neutral option in dialog and it's typically clear as day what their reaction will be to each one.

The story is very adult. It's complex without becoming convoluted and people die in ways that aren't always heroic.

The game isn't easy. The IGN review I read said that just about any fight can kill and you are going to die sometimes. That's no lie.

The depth of the game's lore is absolutely amazing. You'd think this game is based off of something that has been around for 20+ years. Amazing job by Bioware in actually building a world that feels alive.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-05-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #137
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Has anyone figured out how disarm traps works? I have not - a few times I have seen a trap but have never been able to figure out how to disarm it.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #138
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Absolutely an amazing game thus far. For me it's lived up to hype and then some.

The interactions between party members are entertaining and downright funny at times. I love the fact that the dialogue options don't hold your hand. The fact that it's not always obvious what a NPC's reaction will be to what you say is a huge plus for me. The vast majority of RPGs give you a good, bad, neutral option in dialog and it's typically clear as day what their reaction will be to each one.

The story is very adult. It's complex without becoming convoluted and people die in ways that aren't always heroic.

The game isn't easy. The IGN review I read said that just about any fight can kill and you are going to die sometimes. That's no lie.

The depth of the game's lore is absolutely amazing. You'd think this game is based off of something that has been around for 20+ years. Amazing job by Bioware in actually building a world that feels alive.

Great post. I agree the lore is so deep it really is amazing what they have done. If this is as good all the way through along with the subsequent patch or two PLUS the added content they have planned for the next two years it may very well become legendary like BG 2 or even Halflife. The major complaint is the combat being hard. I have had to notch the difficultly down to easy for a bit until I get better at the tactics mechanicas again. That being said I personally am not playing this game for the combat but the story is the draw. If I want a action game I could go get Torchlight which has also been getting great reviews.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #139
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Has anyone figured out how disarm traps works? I have not - a few times I have seen a trap but have never been able to figure out how to disarm it.

Only Rogues can disarm traps by right clicking on them.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #140
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

(PS3 version) I'm up to level 7 and just finished the "Tower Mission". I have yet to come close to dying so maybe the PC version is a little more difficult.

I am loving this game though - so many options with the main quests, side quests, dialog, ect.

I just realized last night that I needed to equip my companions with better gear

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #141
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am really struggling early on here - from Lothering I seem to have unbeatable fights in every direction I have tried - I'm not sure if I have no idea how to play, need better equipment, or what. I think part of the problem is that without a manual or some guide, I don't know what I can tackle at my current level or what I can't.

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #142
kmbgolf
n00b

I take it theat it wont be a good game to play with my 10 year old daughter or can i get a pg version
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #143
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm thinking no with the 10 year old daughter. I was telling my cousin yesterday...

"It's a pretty gory game. You walk up to something, and as soon as you hit it you are spattered with blood. After a battle, you're downright dripping with the stuff. And it's pretty odd to get used to characters holding a cut-scene dialogue after a battle and watching them chat away at each other, totally ignoring the fact that they're all covered in blood."
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #144
aran
High School Varsity

I finished the first boss with only Alistair getting knocked out. I was expecting it to be quite difficult with all the trouble you guys have been having. After trying to have Ali tank him and seeing ali get grabbed and annihilated, I used my tower guard as bait while my mage and ranger ate through his health over the course of a few minutes. I had to use a few mana potions and like 7 healing potions to keep the tower guard alive every two or three hits. The only annoyance was the occasional rock throw. After narrowly being hit by the first one, I learned my lesson and dodged them thereafter.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #145
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

How varied is the cast of characters you are presented with to go together with your main character? I initially planned on making my main guy a tank, but it seems that I've got a tank in Alistair already...should I scrap that idea?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #146
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
How varied is the cast of characters you are presented with to go together with your main character? I initially planned on making my main guy a tank, but it seems that I've got a tank in Alistair already...should I scrap that idea?

I have a feeling there are going to be a ton of options, so make what you want. Personally I like to run with two tanks anyway.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #147
Calis
College Starter

From what I've read the NPC cast is VERY Tank heavy. You still have options obviously if you go tank, but you'll be a lot more limited if say you can't stand one of the characters. I'm not sure on numbers though, but I believe Rogues are few and far between for instance. I'd say go with what you want, but if you're up in the air between two of the classes maybe steer clear of the fighter route.

Tonight I got the urge to see another one of the origins so I started over as an Elf Mage and man do Mages seem a helluva lot easier at least initially than Rogues. I built my Mage from the start to race for Fireball ASAP and was able to get it at I believe 3rd level, and that is a freaking wrecking ball. It's been smooth sailing with this guy and doing a little tweaking on tactics.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #148
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I'm stuck at the 1st Boss where I clearly don't have enough Health Potions to last through the ordeal. I've tried 7 or 8 times slightly tweaking the tactics with no success. Good God, when Alistair gets picked up & pummeled like a rag doll, it's both frightening and comical. I have not been able to figure out a way to break the hold. So, I'm wondering... should I restart the whole Quest again making sure I buy many more potions from the Quartermaster?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #149
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

*&%^. Got the first boss to about 3%, and my PC locked up. It was only my first try, but based upon what I've heard that was a pretty good run. Going back now...
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #150
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I bought this, but have yet to dive in. The talk of combat being so tough has be a bit scared. I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to make it anywhere. Even Baldur's Gate combat kicked my ass!
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote