Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #101
miami_fan
Coordinator

Y'all play too much Noles fans!

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #102
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Maybe you could move INTO its path. Go on! Be daring!

Be like Bill Paxton!

Ah No
Old 09-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #103
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The storm surge warnings bring back memories of typhoon Haiyan when hit us four years ago. 15 foot surges went inland as far as 2km in and wiped out the city of Tacloban.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #104
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Here's something that should give you an idea of the size and scope of Irma. My home town is well inland, over 4 hours from the ocean. Here's their forecast.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #105
miami_fan
Coordinator

We are as prepared as we can be. Similar to my previous experiences, it has been pretty cool watching everyone helping each other out getting things taken care of and showing appreciation for the help they were getting. Just have to get the sinks and tubs filled with water and then wait.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #106
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Filled with water? What does that for? Water for bathing and washing?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #107
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Filled with water? What does that for? Water for bathing and washing?

Baths? We don't need no stinkin(pun intended) baths during a hurricane. Seriously, you could use it for a couple of reasons. You could lined your bathtub with plastic(preferred) or sanitize it with bleach(less preferred) to use for drinking. We have bottled all of our drinking/cooking water. We will be using it mostly for flushing the toilets and things of that nature.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #108
CraigSca
Pro Starter

We bought a $20 100-gallon disposable bladder that sits in your bathtub. Rather than buying 50 pallets of spring water, we just use that. We will use swimming pool water for toilets, if need be.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratching my head}

On the one hand, the latest NOAA stuff has me sitting in the 3-5 inches of rain zone & on the outermost edge of the 50 mph wind zone.

Local sheriff's office, on the other hand, just issued a statement telling residents to be prepared for several days without electricity.

Something isn't adding up here at all tbh.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #110
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Everything's a con.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Everything's a con.

They're definitely seeing info that isn't matching what I'm seeing ... and we're ostensibly seeing the same stuff.

Keep in mind here that there wasnt' any water on the shelves here last night.
We're not going to flood to the extent that water service is threatened, we're hundreds of miles inland, and we don't have that many people using wells.

A lot of folks just seem to love a good panic.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #112
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Gusts will be higher and the winds will last for hours.

edit: And crews will be scarce because power outages will be so extensive over FL and GA.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-10-2017 at 01:00 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Gusts will be higher and the winds will last for hours.

But it still has nothing to do with the water buying. That's just gotten comical.

For some reason this hurricane season here has turned into the winter-storm-hysteria of massive milk buying ... even by the lactose intolerant.

The risk of tornadoes, yeah, that's a real & legitimate concern to me.
Any loss of power (or at least internet) is certainly always an issue to me.

But barring some bizarre chain of events, we ain't gonna be out of water.

edit to add: amusing sidebar from the local Walmart last night. They were all out of water in any configuration you can think of, except one: the Sam's Choice gallon jugs. Apparently there's only so far down the brand chain that the locals are willing to go for water

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2017 at 01:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #114
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I was just responding to the first post about the sheriff's warning.

Panic buying is just people trying to take control over something they can't control. Even here in the NE, a couple of inches of snow coming will clean off the shelves.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #115
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

Why in the hell weren't cranes lowered in FL? They've had at least a week to prepare for this.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

Why in the hell weren't cranes lowered in FL? They've had at least a week to prepare for this.

I was just wondering that same thing.

edit to add: apparently it takes two weeks to take down one of these monster cranes

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-10-2017 at 01:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #117
PilotMan
Head Coach

They actually had a story about them on TV this week. They are designed to spin like weather vanes and withstand like 125 mph winds. They can't be locked down or they will break things, and it takes like 7-10 days to disassemble and remove them.

Like Steam?

Old 09-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
They actually had a story about them on TV this week. They are designed to spin like weather vanes and withstand like 125 mph winds. They can't be locked down or they will break things, and it takes like 7-10 days to disassemble and remove them.

The increasing worry for Miami atm is that the winds hadn't hit the advertised speed yet.

I smell ... litigation.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #119
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The increasing worry for Miami atm is that the winds hadn't hit the advertised speed yet.

I smell ... litigation.

TBH, litigation was probably coming either way.

Crane damage= litigation
Economic loss due to shutting down operations to disassemble the crane on to be safe not sorry = litigation
Old 09-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #120
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Crane damage= litigation
Economic loss due to shutting down operations to disassemble the crane on to be safe not sorry = litigation

I read a little about the situation with them, apparently they took down as many as possible - but the large cranes take two weeks to dismantle and they only have so many teams available to do so, hence not all of them could be done before the storm hit (if you think about it, that is probably a hugely specialized profession and once assembled they stay up for months so they probably only have a few people available to do it).

PS - Some flooding here, but apart from that all is well here on the east coast.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-10-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #121
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Here's something that should give you an idea of the size and scope of Irma. My home town is well inland, over 4 hours from the ocean. Here's their forecast.

The scope of this storm is like nothing even locals here have seen, I'm on the far east coast of Florida and the storm is on the west coast.

We've got flooding here (not huge but worse than last years hurricane) and we've had a good half dozen or so tornado warnings for my area today alone ... and the darn storm hasn't even really gotten close our level of the state yet, its meant to be hitting 'peak' late tonight/early morning I believe ...
Old 09-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #122
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
{scratching my head}

On the one hand, the latest NOAA stuff has me sitting in the 3-5 inches of rain zone & on the outermost edge of the 50 mph wind zone.

Local sheriff's office, on the other hand, just issued a statement telling residents to be prepared for several days without electricity.

I think they wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't tell people to be prepared for that many days without electricity. When Superstorm Sandy came through New Jersey, there were people who got power back quickly and there were people who had to wait 3 to 4 days and in some cases even longer, and that's in a relatively small area.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #123
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
edit to add: amusing sidebar from the local Walmart last night. They were all out of water in any configuration you can think of, except one: the Sam's Choice gallon jugs. Apparently there's only so far down the brand chain that the locals are willing to go for water

Hehe a friend of mine in Houston said a similar thing before Harvey hit. Said he went to Target and found all food products gone except for unsalted, organic kidney beans. His presumption of their thought process re: the beans: "No thanks, we'll just die."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #124
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hehe a friend of mine in Houston said a similar thing before Harvey hit. Said he went to Target and found all food products gone except for unsalted, organic kidney beans. His presumption of their thought process re: the beans: "No thanks, we'll just die."

yeah i've been seeing pictures like that on facebook. Everything gone except for the organic tofu section. Or every biit of soda gone except X. It's losing its humor the more i see it but it works

I just heard it used regarding sam's club water too
Old 09-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #125
tarcone
Coordinator

Just got off the phone with my Dad. He is in Ocala. They are getting waves of heavy rain. Expecting 80-110 mph winds depending on the tv station. The big thing he is worried about is the tornado warnings.
He still has electricity.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I think they wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't tell people to be prepared for that many days without electricity.

Except they aren't really the point of contact for this info. (this is the department well known for their very entertaining social media presence).

I've seen a lot of hurricanes pass through GA, never even a tenth of the hysterical stuff I've seen about this one.

It better be one hell of a impact or else there's going to be some serious mocking of a lot of places in a few days. And that's problematic, because this has been so incredibly over the top that it's going to be a memorable cry-wolf incident which diminishes the chances of future events being taken seriously.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #127
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
It better be one hell of a impact or else there's going to be some serious mocking of a lot of places in a few days. And that's problematic, because this has been so incredibly over the top that it's going to be a memorable cry-wolf incident which diminishes the chances of future events being taken seriously.

Well its covering the entire sodding state and nearly half the homes within it are now without power so I'd say that's fairly sodding intense myself - then again the eye passes me in the next couple of hours and my house has already flooded and lost shingles from its roof (as well as having one of the doors warped by the wind) ... so perhaps I'm a little biased?

PS - And I'm one of the luckier ones, I'm in Melbourne away from the eye and only catching the outer rim, wind speeds are gusting around 105-110mph around here, I'm hoping that I get lucky and it doesn't take down any of the larger trees near my house but we've located to the safest room in case as one of the ones at the front of the house is already listing because its under a foot of water at its base.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-10-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Well its covering the entire sodding state and nearly half the homes within it are now without power so I'd say that's fairly sodding intense myself - then again the eye passes me in the next couple of hours and my house has already flooded and lost shingles from its roof (as well as having one of the doors warped by the wind) ... so perhaps I'm a little biased?

PS - And I'm one of the luckier ones, I'm in Melbourne away from the eye and only catching the outer rim

Sorry you're getting pounded ... but this isn't FL I'm talking about.
I can be in NC in just under three hours however. THAT is how far from FL I'm talking about.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #129
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Sorry you're getting pounded ... but this isn't FL I'm talking about.
I can be in NC in just under three hours however. THAT is how far from FL I'm talking about.

Fair enough - that being said its meant to be cat 1 even when it exits Florida from the projections I've seen and this thing is spitting out tornados at a ludicrous rate (I've lost count of the number of warnings locally here and have had one pass my house close enough to hear which scared the shit out of me) ... if its still doing that when it reaches elsewhere its still going to be a damn dangerous situation because of the size of the storm itself.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Fair enough - that being said its meant to be cat 1 even when it exits Florida from the projections I've seen and this thing is spitting out tornados at a ludicrous rate (I've lost count of the number of warnings locally here and have had one pass my house close enough to hear which scared the shit out of me) ... if its still doing that when it reaches elsewhere its still going to be a damn dangerous situation because of the size of the storm itself.

The tornado threat, ironically, hasn't even gotten the usual amount of play here.
Hell, actual tornadoes on the ground in waves don't get the play this has gotten as a local threat.

It's downright bizarre, fully into Snowpocalypse mode.

But for the benefit of anyone else reading, my bewilderment has absolutely nothing to do with coverage of Irma as a national thing, nor with its impact on any of the affected areas. It's about the considerable fear mongering going on in areas that aren't even in the tropical storm watch area at this point.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 AM   #131
miami_fan
Coordinator

Checking in. Just waiting for the sun to come up to assess the outdoors.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #132
tarcone
Coordinator

Good luck. Waiting to hear from my sister.

Dad says the worst has passed him by.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #133
Thomkal
Head Coach

Irma related weather has started here-nothing bad. I have a brother living near Orlando-he called yesterday afternoon-when Irma really hadn't reached him yet-they already had a lot of rain from it though. Still had power then, which I suspect changed overnight.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #134
Edward64
Head Coach

Drizzly rain only so far north of Atlanta, no big wind or heavy downpours. Pics show alot of red coming to us but ajc.com says its down to Cat 1.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #135
miked
College Starter

Some rain near Emory, but our neighborhood loses power with a breeze so I assume we will be in the dark soon. All schools closed Monday and Tuesday, and they actually made the decision yesterday around lunch, so maybe they are getting somewhat smarter...
Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #136
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My wife's parents are without power in Jacksonville and her sister lost power earlier yesterday in Port St. Lucie. Her brother is FHP down in that area so he's been working the storm (although I believe once winds got to tropical storm strength, they were required to take shelter).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #137
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A friend lost power in Tampa.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #138
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't think I could live in FL again without a home generator or some sort of emergency power setup.

Like Steam?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #139
Easy Mac

They closed all the schools around us because.... I'm not sure.

For our work, they closed our Charleston office but left the other offices open, even though the other offices are closer to the hurricane?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #140
miami_fan
Coordinator

Already seeing reports of people being stuck in their homes in the Lakeland area. Ugh.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
They closed all the schools around us because.... I'm not sure.

Apparently rainfall causes that these days.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #142
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Apparently rainfall causes that these days.

My wife is a school teacher. She said you don't really want kids waiting out in possible bad rain/wind and school buses don't drive well in strong wind. I'm okay with it due to the unpredictable nature of Irma's path (e.g. yesterday I though it was headed much more west of Atlanta area).
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
My wife is a school teacher. She said you don't really want kids waiting out in possible bad rain/wind and school buses don't drive well in strong wind. I'm okay with it due to the unpredictable nature of Irma's path (e.g. yesterday I though it was headed much more west of Atlanta area).

Note where EM is though.

There's a better chance of my kid in MS having weather issues related to Irma this week than there is in his area.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #144
Edward64
Head Coach

Ah sorry. I was relating to schools closing in Atlanta area today (and prob good chance for Tue also)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #145
Easy Mac

I blame our local news guy, who gets like borderline depression if the weather doesn't rain down frogs or snow 38" during the winter.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #146
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just took the dogs for a walk to the neighborhood. I think we made it through pretty nicely. The neighbor across the street had a tornado tear a path through his backyard taking several trees down but no damage to his house. We seemed to have several houses with screen damage. Four street signs are down including one that is about 10 feet from it was standing yesterday. The lake in the cul-de-sac behind is higher that I have seen in the three years we have lived here but other than that, things are well.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #147
Edward64
Head Coach

Trees normally blow left to right in my backyard. They are blowing more right to left now. Kinda weird.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #148
Thomkal
Head Coach

Flooding in Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, and probably Myrtle Beach too.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #149
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Flooding in Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, and probably Myrtle Beach too.

Hang in there Thomkal!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, intermittment internet connection since about 7am.
4 relatively brief power outtages during the afternoon.
As Edward64 mentioned, I'm also basically seeing trees that rarely move blowing, trees that commonly move in storms doing little.

Random tree down reports across Clarke/Oconee County, linemen have been pulled off the job in the past 20 minutes pending a decrease in the winds, so any outtages coming up will be extended somewhat.

That's basically northeast Georgia for the day.