Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will Carolina pick Luck at #1 ?
yes 66 73.33%
no 12 13.33%
pick another player 2 2.22%
trade down 10 11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #101
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Locker was always viewed as a project as a pure passer. He had a nice 3-4 game stretch in 09 where people were talking about him being #1 overall once he came out. But, once he went through the combines and workouts, he would have dropped pretty quick. He has an absolute cannon, great athletic ability and is pretty tough, but his decision making has always been questionable.

He was even more raw last year, so I think coming back was the right football move. He was likely a mid first rounder last year and that's what he'll be this year. The only knock would be with the labor agreement uncertainly, it's better financially to be a 10-15 pick in '10 than the same range in '11. Still, I think he would have been a disaster in the NFL had he come out last season.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not really. Anything can happen, from injury to, well, whatever.

Like I said, I don't think it's a horrible call on his part because of the labor situation, but given the uncertainty with the coaching situation at Stanford, I wouldn't put the odds of him being #1 overall a year from now at much better than 50-50.

The Pac 10 guys would know better but I believe the thought is that Greg Roman would take over the spot and he had been running the offense under Harbaugh. The likelihood that Luck would feel any effect should be minimal, so I'd take that action. Unlike Locker, not only does everybody love Luck but he has the highest QB grade since John Elway. That's unlikely to go anywhere either.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #103
Galaxy
Coordinator

I didn't realize that Luck has two more years of college eligibility. Smart guy in that he'll have three chances to decide what team, on a limited role, to play for.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #104
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I didn't realize that Luck has two more years of college eligibility. Smart guy in that he'll have three chances to decide what team, on a limited role, to play for.

Dangerous game to play mind. Career ending injuries aren't that common any more but they can still happen. Ask Chad Pennington how quickly a shoulder injury can turn you from an above average NFL QB to a pillow tossing backup.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #105
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

I believe I read he graduates in spring of 2012, so he's going next year.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Dangerous game to play mind. Career ending injuries aren't that common any more but they can still happen. Ask Chad Pennington how quickly a shoulder injury can turn you from an above average NFL QB to a pillow tossing backup.

He'll have a monster insurance policy...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #107
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I believe I read he graduates in spring of 2012, so he's going next year.

Doesn't change that he's eligible for two more years, which was his point

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #108
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
He'll have a monster insurance policy...

What I was thinking. If his family is wealthy, it shouldn't be a concern.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #109
BishopMVP
Coordinator

FWIW, Jake Locker wasn't even given a 1st-round grade last year
by the NFL evaluators. That 1st overall pick was shit thrown against the board by Kiper and McShay, and the head of the NFL's committee called them out for the ignorance they displayed.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #110
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Doesn't change that he's eligible for two more years, which was his point

Even if he sucks next year, he could have a so-so year and graduate. And then his dad could sell his final year of eligibility to some desperate SEC school so he could do his masters work in recreational science.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #111
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Even if he sucks next year, he could have a so-so year and graduate. And then his dad could sell his final year of eligibility to some desperate SEC school so he could do his masters work in recreational science.

First off, he doesn't "need" the money. A wealthy family and big insurance policy will take care of him for life. Not to mention that a degree and connections from Stanford, along with his fame, will take him places regardless of his NFL career.

Secondly, Andrew Luck is not your typical college player. He seems to have a real interest in education. Graduated from his high school as Valedictorian, majors in architectural design (engineering) at Stanford. First team All Pac-10 Academic selection last year and make the second team this year. Why go to Stanford if your top goal in life is to get to the NFL?

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-07-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #112
wade moore
lolzcat

I've read all of the posts in this thread.

Personally, I see a lot of emotional reasons to stay at Stanford, but no LOGICAL ones.

From an objective, life-benefit situation I still see no LOGICAL reasons to stay at Stanford this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #113
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Is it not logical to maximize your own happiness?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

Of course it's not. Just like it's not logical to get your third year of college football under you to better prepare for the transition to the NFL. I don't remember the exact number, but there's a pretty strong correlation between number of college starts and success in the NFL.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #115
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The most logical reason to leave is for money. But when money isn't that high on your priority list, then the logical decision isn't necessarily the right or best one, is it?

If we were having this discussion last year, he'd be a fool to leave so much money on the table, assuming the difference between Bradford's deal and the likely cap on a 1st round pick's initial contract is as big as some think it will be. I think he pretty much would have been forced to take the money at that point. But in the position he's in now? Eh. It's a shock, but I can understand it, given his family situation. And also, maybe he really, really has a bad feeling about going to Carolina and is rolling the dice that he gets picked by a better franchise next year. Who knows?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Personally, I see a lot of emotional reasons to stay at Stanford, but no LOGICAL ones.

From an objective, life-benefit situation I still see no LOGICAL reasons to stay at Stanford this year.

Depends on your definition of logic. You are thinking like a dude who makes an honest living. You, I , nor likely anyone else on this board know what goes on in his mind or what is will be like to eventually be in his financial position.

He knows at some point he is getting paid. Now I may be romanticizing this, but maybe he also knows his college years are something you never get back once "real life" begins. Perhaps he enjoys college and wants to maximize that enjoyment, even if that means putting off the NFL and the millions that come with it for a year.

I'm sure he loves football, but it isn't hard to imagine he loves being in college and the things that go along with it just as much, so why give it up before he has to?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #117
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Depends on your definition of logic. You are thinking like a dude who makes an honest living. You, I , nor likely anyone else on this board know what goes on in his mind or what is will be like to eventually be in his financial position.

He knows at some point he is getting paid. Now I may be romanticizing this, but maybe he also knows his college years are something you never get back once "real life" begins. Perhaps he enjoys college and wants to maximize that enjoyment, even if that means putting off the NFL and the millions that come with it for a year.

I'm sure he loves football, but it isn't hard to imagine he loves being in college and the things that go along with it just as much, so why give it up before he has to?

Because you're a Joe Theismann injury away from never playing in the NFL?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #118
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Because you're a Joe Theismann injury away from never playing in the NFL?

Name the last injury you saw like that in college?

Not to mention he will have a monster insurance policy.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #119
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd be much more worried about accumulated concussions.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #120
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Willis McGahee? Yeah, he still had an ok NFL career, but he's a durable running back.

What about the kid for your Rutgers team (I think you're a Rutgers fan, or am I mixing that up with Logan?) that can't walk now? Is that unlikely to happen to a QB, maybe - but it could.

A "monster insurance policy" is still not going to compare to 1.1 money, even IF there is a rookie scale. And, you never get that NFL dream money.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wade, why wont you grasp that money may not be the driving factor in this kids life?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #122
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

So the minuscule chance that you could be injured should drive this major decision?

Do you fly on planes?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #123
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Colin Cowherd agrees with you, congratulations.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #124
Logan
Head Coach

If a player ever makes a choice because it may be the last snap he ever plays...he would be better off not being on the field at all, because that mindset really can get you seriously hurt. Luck doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

There's just as good of a chance of major injury in the NFL (maybe more with the additional strength/speed of the players) and I doubt he would care about having a $30 million pile sitting around if he was in a wheelchair.

And FTR, LeGrand WILL walk soon .
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #125
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Colin Cowherd agrees with you, congratulations.

lol, just heard him on the radio. What a tool Cowherd is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #126
Swaggs
Coordinator

A couple of thoughts.

I think his dad is still well-connected enough with the NFL brass to have a good feeling on the labor situation and this partially tells me that things are not looking good there.

If I am an NFL owner, I am sure as hell not giving my draft picks (if there is even a draft at the regular time this year) any non-refundable signing bonuses until I know if/when we are having a season and what new labor agreements are in place.

Luck was a 5-star QB coming out of high school in Houston, could have probably gone just about anywhere in the country, and chose to go to Stanford in Harbaugh's first (4-8) season -- well before Harbaugh was established as a head coach. I'd say there is significant evidence that he is wired differently than the average football player.

All that said, I am surprised that he did not turn pro. If you are guaranteed to be in the top 10 or 15 in the draft, the money available allows you to pretty much set up your family for generations and do almost whatever you could possibly want to do (including pay out of pocket for two semesters at Stanford).

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-07-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #127
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Wade, why wont you grasp that money may not be the driving factor in this kids life?

Wade just doesn't grasp the value of a good mimosa.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #128
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Wade just doesn't grasp the value of a good mimosa.

It's pathetic how bad you want to be Subby.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #129
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Michael Bush had a pretty bad one. He looked like a top 25 pick, but came back and broke his leg, I believe on a kick off return, in the first game of the season.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #130
RedKingGold
College Starter

But seriously, the decision to go back to Stanford IS for emotional reasons. He likes the college life, loves playing college football, loves Stanford, etc. These are "happiness" reasons, not "smart" reasons.

I mean, props to the kid for going back. It was a good and happy decision for him and money isn't everything, however, an unemotional decision putting the pros/cons on a sheet of paper would weigh heavily towards declaring for the NFL Draft.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #131
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
It's pathetic how bad you want to be Subby.

Subby wouldn't lower himself to my level.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #132
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Subby wouldn't lower himself to my level.

We finally agree on something.

Carry on.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #133
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If people are going to insist that the "smartest" decision is the one that gets him the most money, then you are right. It wasn't "smart."
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'd say there is significant evidence that he is wired differently than the average football player.

That's a sentiment I've heard/read several places now & I keep thinking how that would give me considerable pause about drafting him.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #135
molson
General Manager

Quote:
But seriously, the decision to go back to Stanford IS for emotional reasons. He likes the college life, loves playing college football, loves Stanford, etc. These are "happiness" reasons, not "smart" reasons.

Knowing what makes you happy is the smartest kind of smart there is.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #136
RedKingGold
College Starter

Bunch of smelly hippies in this thread.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #137
molson
General Manager

Quote:
That's a sentiment I've heard/read several places now & I keep thinking how that would give me considerable pause about drafting him.

He probably wouldn't want to be drafted by a franchise with that mindset (it wouldn't be "smart" to let him miss a practice to see his kid get born, for example).
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #138
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I mean, props to the kid for going back. It was a good and happy decision for him and money isn't everything, however, an unemotional decision putting the pros/cons on a sheet of paper would weigh heavily towards declaring for the NFL Draft.

If you're going strictly by logical decisions. Quarterbacks with at least three years playing experience at the college level are significantly more likely to have success in the NFL than someone with two or less.

So, is success a logical reason? Or is simply getting as much cash as quickly as possible the ONLY logical factor?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #139
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Bunch of smelly hippies in this thread.

Serious question though - do you think the decision that maximizes your money is the only "smart" decision in any situation? Why are you on this message board instead of working then? Have you ever paid money to go on a vacation?

And Luck's margin for error, money wise, is a hell of greater than ours. He'll be making money. He's not leaving football to be a janitor for the love of cleaning toilets or anything.

Last edited by molson : 01-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #140
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If you're going strictly by logical decisions. Quarterbacks with at least three years playing experience at the college level are significantly more likely to have success in the NFL than someone with two or less.

So, is success a logical reason? Or is simply getting as much cash as quickly as possible the ONLY logical factor?

Again, this is ONE factor. Put this on the "pro" side of the unemotional list when weighing the decision.

My point was that weighing EVERYTHING would tip the scales towards going pro because there are many more "cons" to staying in college for his senior year.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #141
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

Quote:

How do we really know why he didn't come out? Of course he is going to say it was to stay and get his degree, but that may not be the full reason. If the season is locked out completely how will the draft work next year? Lottery? Could be as many have stated he doesn't want to be put in a situation where he is going to Carolina when he has a small say so. Plus if the season is locked out, which it could be, he will still be gaining valuable experience for another year. That sound logical to me when he may not even get any money this year if there is a lock out.
Denial Of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #142
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Serious question though - do you think the decision that maximizes your money is the only "smart" decision in any situation? Why are you on this message board instead of working then?

Again, money is not the ONLY factor here. Most athletes dream of achieveing success at the highest level, which is the pro level. There is also the risk that Harbaugh does not come back, and the potential of a new head coach mucking up things in Luck's senior year. Further, the loss of seven offensive starters does hurt Luck's chances of eclipsing the success of this year's Stanford team.

Luck's done all he can at this level, why doesn't he challenge himself to see what he can accomplish in the NFL?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #143
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial Of Freedom View Post
How do we really know why he didn't come out? Of course he is going to say it was to stay and get his degree, but that may not be the full reason. If the season is locked out completely how will the draft work next year? Lottery? Could be as many have stated he doesn't want to be put in a situation where he is going to Carolina when he has a small say so. Plus if the season is locked out, which it could be, he will still be gaining valuable experience for another year. That sound logical to me when he may not even get any money this year if there is a lock out.

We're speculating, no one really knows, we're arguing as if we're in Luck's shoes based on our perception of his particular circumstances.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #144
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I can definitely see that being used against him next year. The whole "Does he love the game?" argument.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #145
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe Harbaugh leaves, Rich Rodriguez takes the Stanford job, and tries to install the spread offense and make Luck a running QB?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #146
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

Quote:
We're speculating, no one really knows, we're arguing as if we're in Luck's shoes based on our perception of his particular circumstances.

Exactly, and people are speculating that he will be getting a payday, when he may not get one for quite a while. Either way we look at it there are very logical reasons for either decision he made. So what it really comes down to is what will make him happy.
Denial Of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #147
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It must have been the love of the game thing that kept SD from drafting Peyton Manning. That worked out well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #148
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial Of Freedom View Post
Exactly, and people are speculating that he will be getting a payday, when he may not get one for quite a while. Either way we look at it there are very logical reasons for either decision he made. So what it really comes down to is what will make him happy.

Do you know why he was happy to stay in Stanford?

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-07-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #149
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I can definitely see that being used against him next year. The whole "Does he love the game?" argument.

Personally speaking, the confidence required to not do what everyone wants/expects would be a huge plus in my mind.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #150
whomario
Pro Starter

What are the chances of Stanford having another season as good next year btw ? Wasnīt that basically like as good a year as they could ever hope for ?

i think what really is baffling that he makes that decicion seemingly unrelated to the football-side of things considering that he doesnīt even know if his coach is going to be back.

I really think itīs an admireable decicion and especially great that he seemingly made that decicion on his own with (as far as i know) no pressure from parents or coaches, but obviously thatīs a decicion that wonīt hold up in a pro/con type of argument.

Last edited by whomario : 01-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote