Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #101
Logan
Head Coach

So apparently last night, ESPN's mobile site had a headline of "Chink in the Armor". It was up for about a half hour before being taken down, and they apologized. What are your thoughts? I feel like it is so ridiculously racist, it almost had to be an accident.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #102
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So apparently last night, ESPN's mobile site had a headline of "Chink in the Armor". It was up for about a half hour before being taken down, and they apologized. What are your thoughts? I feel like it is so ridiculously racist, it almost had to be an accident.

Didn't see it last night, but just caught this

ESPN sorry for offensive headline on Jeremy Lin story - NBA - SI.com
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #103
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hard to say. I've seen so many bad attempts at wordplay in CNN headlines, for example, that it may have been intentional. This is a common saying, but what was the article and did the title fit? If it was an article about his turnovers, I could see someone just not paying attention when they titled it, but if that was just a sidelight in the article then yeah someone did it intentionally.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #104
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

I guess I'm just oblivious, but I saw the headline last night while it was up and didn't make the correlation. Only after seeing the news report did I realize what it said, shake my head, and say "wow".

It isn't as if I've never heard the term "chink" before, but it really didn't register for me at the time. With that in mind, I guess I can sort of accept that same thing happened for the person writing the title for the story, but it is a really unfortunate accident if that is indeed what happened. And just ridiculously stupid if it was deliberate.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #105
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A copy editor trying to be too cute. A massive fail.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #106
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Great word play that a stand up comedian could get away with but not a newspaper.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #107
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Great "racist" word play that a stand up comedian could get away with but not a newspaper.

Fixed for you. Unless you think chink is a commonly acceptable word to use when developing clever terms.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #108
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Is ESPN really part of the news media though?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish that ESPN would stop Indian giving us all this racist shit to talk about
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Only after seeing the news report did I realize what it said, shake my head, and say "wow". It isn't as if I've never heard the term "chink" before, but it really didn't register for me at the time. With that in mind, I guess I can sort of accept that same thing happened for the person writing the title for the story, but it is a really unfortunate accident if that is indeed what happened. And just ridiculously stupid if it was deliberate.

Pretty much this for me. That's so over the top that I can't imagine how it could have been intentional, so much so that I honestly had to read it at least twice to get what the hubbub was about.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #111
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I feel like it was bad either way. If it was intentionally, obviously it is in horrible taste. If it was a case of an editor missing it, it was still pretty bad.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
If it was a case of an editor missing it, it was still pretty bad.

I suspect that, even at ESPN levels, the amount of supervision that takes place during the 24-hour nature of news these days is virtually nil.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #113
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Night Live's Linsanity Cold Open Officially Exhausted The List Of Lin Puns
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #114
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Great word play that a stand up comedian could get away with but not a newspaper.

Great word play?

Even if we lived in some alternative universe where that's not a deragatory racial slur that's always used to insult someone, he's not even chinese. So even if was an acceptable term, you still have the "all asians are the same" thing.

I feel like it's 1987 and doug williams is starting in the super bowl. People are just losing their minds over this. You'd think the world was ready for an asian nba superstar, but i guess in a lot of ways, it wasn't. It's still a big part of the story. We just need a commentator to ask, "how long have you been an asian basketball player?"

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe there's a 3rd option for the headline after all: "somebody else said it first"

ESPN statement on offensive Jeremy Lin comments - ESPN

snip We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

• The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

• The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

edit to add: When did the ESPNEWS anchor become part of the story? All I knew about was the online headline.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-19-2012 at 10:28 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #116
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The twittervers and blogosphere raked ESPN over the coals for this. So there was awareness of people who'd been doing these things for days and I think it was critical for folks to know it wasn't just some kind of rubber stamp deal where they say "we fixed it" when the opposite was true.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

lmao

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #118
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I suspect the headline thing, had it happened rather early on (say, if the Knicks lost the second game Lin played in), then it might not have gained the notice it did now. It was after several good games by Lin that people were starting to get a little twitchy about "Yellow Mamba" jokes and the like (strangely enough, wouldn't this have the effect of making Kobe's "Black Mamba moniker more racial in some way than it was before? I mean, I never considered it as a racial marker, just a sign of respect for Kobe's desire to beat anyone he played). Once the sensitivity started picking up, this sort of headline had no chance of getting by without protest.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #119
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I suspect the headline thing, had it happened rather early on (say, if the Knicks lost the second game Lin played in), then it might not have gained the notice it did now. It was after several good games by Lin that people were starting to get a little twitchy about "Yellow Mamba" jokes and the like (strangely enough, wouldn't this have the effect of making Kobe's "Black Mamba moniker more racial in some way than it was before? I mean, I never considered it as a racial marker, just a sign of respect for Kobe's desire to beat anyone he played). Once the sensitivity started picking up, this sort of headline had no chance of getting by without protest.

Black mamba is actually a thing, yellow mamba is just a racial twist on it.

I'm surprised so many people are seeing this stuff as people being "a little twitchy" and "sensitivity" I'm not the most PC guy in the world but I think we've reached a place, really decades ago, that racial slurs and race-based characterizations are almost never utilized in regular media outside of comedy/gritty satire type stuff. Now, though, is it open question again? Have we taken a step back? Don Imus created a national news story when he called some black basketball players "nappy-headed hos", which was probably racist, but it was pretty indirect. "Chink", and the driving jokes, and the dick size jokes, and the eating dog jokes seems to be to be way, way, way beyond that.

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2012 at 06:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #120
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe there's a 3rd option for the headline after all: "somebody else said it first"

ESPN statement on offensive Jeremy Lin comments - ESPN

snip We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

• The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

• The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

edit to add: When did the ESPNEWS anchor become part of the story? All I knew about was the online headline.

Same here. What was the anchor incident? I can't find anything on it anywhere.

Wish I caught the game today. Other than highlights, I haven't seen him play. Would like to see a whole game just to see why he's doing so well.

As for the race issues, it's just a shame...ESPN points out that in the end, a lot of media types are fixated on race. I'd be nice is a good player was simply a good player, but alas...
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #121
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I'm surprised so many people are seeing this stuff as people being "a little twitchy" and "sensitivity" I'm not the most PC guy in the world but I think we've reached a place, really decades ago, that racial slurs and race-based characterizations are almost never utilized in regular media outside of comedy/gritty satire type stuff...

I don't have the context of the article. However given that "a chink in the armor" is an actual meaningful phrase, I can absolutely see this as unintentional. If the headline was applicable or even on point with the article, then that goes even further and shifts the response into the "over reactive" or "overly sensitive" range.
If the writer was actually intentionally trying to make a play on the phrase, then yeah, this is about as bad as it gets. "Chink" isn't in the debatable racial slur range. Not a gray area at all.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #122
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Same here. What was the anchor incident? I can't find anything on it anywhere.

Wish I caught the game today. Other than highlights, I haven't seen him play. Would like to see a whole game just to see why he's doing so well.

As for the race issues, it's just a shame...ESPN points out that in the end, a lot of media types are fixated on race. I'd be nice is a good player was simply a good player, but alas...

The anchor was Max Bretos. He asked a question: "If there is a chink in the armor, where can Lin improve his game?"

a question that would have not even been noticed, let alone got him suspended for 30 days had it been for any other player but Lin.

ESPN fires writer of offensive headline about Jeremy Lin - CNN.com
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #123
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The anchor was Max Bretos. He asked a question: "If there is a chink in the armor, where can Lin improve his game?"

a question that would have not even been noticed, let alone got him suspended for 30 days had it been for any other player but Lin.

An article I saw also said that Max Bretos tweeted that his wife is Asian, so it seems unlikely his was intentional.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #124
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

When an ESPNEWS anchor says something when nobody is watching, does he make a sound?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #125
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Seriously? That's the context? He got suspended for that?? That's ridiculous. In the context of his job, that was a legitimate question. The headline writer I can understand to some extent because there is no context to the headline and it probably looked worse if it appeared underneath his face (even if my first instinct would never have been to make such an association). But that? That's going overboard. We are seriously going to have to start moving to newspeak at some point because too many words in common English are offending people even in proper context.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #126
Rizon
Pro Starter

I guess we learn something new every day! I always thought it was "kink in the armor".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #127
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I guess we learn something new every day! I always thought it was "kink in the armor".

Well, I'll be damned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #128
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap, that's as ridiculous as the D.C. officially who used the word "niggardly" properly. Heck, this is likely worse, because the "chink in the armor" phrase is used far more widely.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #129
miami_fan
Coordinator

I can't wait for the next time someone says Carmelo is a black hole.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #130
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

'An Outdated And Ignorant Stereotype' - Ta-Nehisi Coates - Entertainment - The Atlantic

Quote:
Heh. SNL goes there, while ESPN fires the anonymous employee who wrote the "Chink In The Armor" headline for Jeremy Lin. It also suspended Max Bretos for using the phrase in an interview with Walt Frazier. I actually am sympathetic to Bretos.

Making catchy puns is part of writing headlines. Headlines are also written--you actually have to take a moment to think about them. With that in mind, it's really hard to believe that the person who wrote "Chink In The Armor" to describe Lin didn't see the double-entrendre. If they didn't, they shouldn't be writing headlines anyway.

Bretos's case is a little different. The phrase a "chink in the armor" is often applied to the weaknesses of athletes presumed to be unstoppable--not as a pun off of their name or ethnicity, but as a way to strictly describe a weakness in their game. In text you probably want to avoid that sort of phrase--much as you'd want to avoid referring to a Tiger Woods triumph as a "a black day for Woods' opponents," though it would less egregious than a headline.

But I think on air is considerably harder. I can easily see how Bretos used that phrase with no ill-intent at all, and he certainly didn't seem like he was going for a pun. My sense is that ESPN is covering themselves. An on-air apology (in Bretos) case probably would have sufficed.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #131
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My guess is that ESPN was confident the headline was racist, but were worried about legal action if they fired the headline writer but didn't take action against an anchor using the same phrase, so they had to give Bretos something.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #132
Butter
Coordinator

I bet Bretos wishes he was back at Fox Soccer Channel now, where no one would've noticed if they had a half hour of Asian racism hidden inside a show called "Best 50 goals of all time!!!"
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #133
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I bet Bretos wishes he was back at Fox Soccer Channel now, where no one would've noticed if they had a half hour of Asian racism hidden inside a show called "Best 50 goals of all time!!!"

I, for one, am glad Bretos landed somewhere where no one has to watch him.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #134
Easy Mac

Quote:
An article I saw also said that Max Bretos tweeted that his wife is Asian, so it seems unlikely his was intentional.

I heard he also has a Jewish cousin and a black friend.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #135
Dutch
"Dutch"

I've actually forgotten that "chink" was a slang word for a Chineese person. Until now, whew, I'd hate to have forgotten that piece of slander. Now I can re-add it to my subconscious and hope I am never fired for accidentally using it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #136
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

the old "my best friend is black" defense...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #137
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I heard he also has a Jewish cousin and a black friend.

My best friend is black, btw you know black people are [insert racist comment here]
Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if anyone would want Amare, but he needs to go. He was -18 in Sundays 7 point win vs the Mavs.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
the old "my best friend is black" defense...

Marrying someone of that ethnicity is a far cry from "best friend". One, you can exaggerate how close of a friend the ethnic person is - you can't really exaggerate how married you are. Secondly, being married requires a bit more trust than being a best friend.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think we have seen the bubble burst with this whole thing. The funny thing is I don't think it will be Lins fault. They have a very rough stretch over the next ten games, Melo is coming back and they will have to learn to play together, plus I think the biggest thing is other teams star players are tired of hearing about Lin and are going to elevate their games when they play him. IMO it is no coincidence Williams went off last night.

I see the Knicks going something like 3-7 over their next ten.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #141
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think we have seen the bubble burst with this whole thing. The funny thing is I don't think it will be Lins fault. They have a very rough stretch over the next ten games, Melo is coming back and they will have to learn to play together, plus I think the biggest thing is other teams star players are tired of hearing about Lin and are going to elevate their games when they play him. IMO it is no coincidence Williams went off last night.

I see the Knicks going something like 3-7 over their next ten.

He still had 21-7-9 with 4 steals and 3 turnovers (which, considering his issues there, must have seemed like 0 for him), while Deron shot 8-14 from behind the arc.

I don't know that the bubble has burst just yet... I don't see him averaging 20+ppg over the duration of the season, but if he can score, rebound, and pass the ball, I don't see why he can't finish around 15-4-7 for the year, which is impressive.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #142
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, no bubble burst at all. Deron was chucking and he was due for a good game after what Lin did to them the last time the two teams met. Melo was having a hard time adjusting, J.R. Smith is brand new and there's too much change on that team with Amare still acclimating to the team for them to have played well. Plus, they were on a back to back after grinding out a win against Dallas.

I'd hesitate to call the whole thing off and I don't buy them going completely flat. But if it does happens, it'll be a jolt. I doubt Lin is making teams want to "burst' the bubble, because I mean...the idea so many presuppose is that he's all hype, that he's not that good and that eventually he'll come crashing down. But he's proven that he's better than that and I think it's no different than hearing "too much" about Kobe or some other star who plays.

Is Lin on their level? No. But I think dismissing him as a fad at this point is completely ignoring what's happening in the games he's playing and I've watched every one of his starts and it's not a fluke. The kid can ball.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Political correctness spun completely out of control

New York Knicks' Jeremy Lin -- Ben & Jerry's apologizes for 'Lin-Sanity' flavor - ESPN New York
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #144
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I don't know. I'm not much for political correctness, but this strikes me as Linsensitive. Not to mention Linappropriately opportunistic. Ben and Jerry will get a free pass because of their well-known political views, but this is the first time in this whole Linfantile debate that I've felt uncomfortable. Notice the non-apology apology from Ben and Jerry. They're just happy to get back into the headlines.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #145
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm mad because I now want fortune cookies in ice cream.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #146
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are those that say he is a smart kid being insensitive? I mean talk about just going to the old stereotype.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #147
Easy Mac

No, they're being fucking elitists.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #148
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
No, they're being fucking elitists.

Or is it more elitist to say that Lin isn't that smart because a 3.1 Harvard GPA is actually pretty mediocre?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #149
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Lin needs to come out & say "put the fortune cookies back in the ice cream. there's nothing wrong with a little fun, as long as it doesn't get to the point of stupidity, Confucius say."
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #150
fpres
High School JV

As a minority person with multiple ethnicities represented in my family tree, I can honestly say that I'm as offended by fortune cookie flavored ice cream as I would be if Ben and Jerry's introduced a nacho variation or a fried chicken variation. Read into that what you will.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote