Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2006, 01:48 AM   #101
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ah, fixed. Life is good. I just wanted to check in to the DS thread, thanks mostly to TK.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #102
twothree
College Prospect

An official add-on MP3 player for the Nintendo DS?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-...yer-198316.php
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think this is how it currently is but EBGames is making another push for when the new colors come out. If you have an old style DS, you can trade it in for a DS Lite at $70 or a GBA SP trades in for a $100 DS Lite.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-13-2006 at 09:49 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #104
twothree
College Prospect

I picked up a black DS Lite along with Harvest Moon DS today. I really like it, except for the shiny black finish on the outside. They should have used the nice dull black inside coating on the outside also. Because, the outside picks up fingerprints way too easily.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #105
General Mike
Pro Starter

Anybody got a game suggestion for me?

I already have Castlevania, Brain Age, New SMB, Mario Kart and Tetris.

No RPGz plz k thx.

Last edited by General Mike : 09-13-2006 at 10:16 PM.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What genres? I've gotten tons of hours out of Advance Wars DS and Age of Empires if you like turn based strat. AoE's problem is that it will glitch from time to time, which is simply unacceptable for a Nintendo console. If you can find Kirby on the cheap, it's well worth it as a fun platformer but it is short. I've had a lot of fun every time I play Phoenix Wright but it's just not for everyone- it's very story driven and not much action or gameplay.

SI

Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #107
General Mike
Pro Starter

Turn based strategy may work for me. Probably a platformer or an action game.

Anybody got any thoughts on the Princess Peach game?

I may pick up Animal Crossing to hold me over.

Last edited by General Mike : 09-13-2006 at 10:23 PM.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've actually stopped playing Animal Crossing as of a couple of months ago because of a lack of time due to work but if you get addicted to games and it's your type of game, it goes a long way (I have to have put well over 100 hours into it).

I heard Princess Peach was ok but not great. Only worth buying if you get it at a discount. Like I said, for platformers, I really love Kirby as it's a "different type of platformer"- it's really creative, much like some of the more recent Kirby titles have been like Tilt n Tumble. Kirby rolls but you direct him based on what lines you draw on the screen, speed him up based on touching the screen, get power ups, etc.

SI

Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #109
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
OK...I've resisted as long as I could. I bought Anthony one of the DS Lites for his birthday and have now decided that I should pick up a game or two to play on it

I'm very intrigued by the Animal Crossing - from what I've read it's similar to the Sims, but with animals? Can you play it without the wi-fi? We have wi-fi at home, but I'd like to be able to play it while I am waiting in the carpool line, etc... Also, is it something that a 9 year old can play and enjoy as well?

And could someone tell me more about the Mario games? I remember Donkey Kong from when I was a child, but haven't really played any video games since then...which game would you recommend for a 33 year old looking to kill some time who has little to no experience playing video games of any kind?

Thanks guys!!!!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 PM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll try to get to this one over the weekend as I'm heading off to sleep tonight. But the DS has a ton of casual gamer stuff, moreso than hardcore gamer stuff.

SI

Old 09-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #111
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I just picked up Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy and Mario Hoops 3 on 3 for my DS. It's funny that I picked up the SW game as I actually can't stand Star Wars, but I love Legos and the game looked cool last time (the original game) so I figured I'd give it a try this time around. Not sure what to expect from Mario Hoops, but I was looking for something new to play and it got alright reviews so figured it was worth a shot.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 09-15-2006 at 11:58 AM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #112
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Best Buy had Battles of Prince of Persia on sale for $9.99 so I grabbed a copy. Just tried the tutorial over lunch. Looks like an interesting turn-based strategy game with a card element meshed in.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #113
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

tk, I need to point you strongly towards CAG

There are so many discount games out there right now and it's better than paying full price for games that will be cheap in a few months and you'll still get that "new game smell"

I haven't had as much luck on the DS as I've "only" bought Metroid Pinball ($7), Atari Collection ($5), Ridge Racer ($2), and Polarium ($10) in the last month or so. But with the GBA, I've gotten an absolute treasure trove with Drill Dozer, Final Fantasy IV, Mario Golf, Wario Ware Twisted, and Sword of Mana all for $10 or less and the Castlevania double pack for $20 and that's more gaming than one can possibly shake a stick at.

SI

Old 09-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #114
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
tk, I need to point you strongly towards CAG

Sadly (?) I'm already a member of CAG. I just also have the unfortunate affliction that when I get bored with a game, I go out and buy another, mostly on impulse. :-\

Thankfully it doesn't happen too often

/tk
Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #115
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Hey Sterling, what's CAG? Is it Cheap Ass Gamer, the site? I've looked there for deals they list at various stores and stuff, but is there something else that I'm missing there?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #116
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

CAG is indeed http://www.cheapassgamer.com

If you're a member of the forums, there is a forum devoted to deals, localized and national (and international). Usually there are some good things.

/tk
Old 09-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, CAG is the site linked above. I've made some great hauls lately. Obviously, you're not going to find Madden the week it comes out for $20 but you'll find the first place it drops to $30 in 2 months when the unwashed masses have all shelled out $50 for it. Or when it hits clearance for $10. Everybody is doing clearances on their last gen stuff and you can snag all sorts of excellent games you might have missed for $10 or less.

SI

Old 09-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #118
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Ah, thanks. I am a member there and I do tend to read through that forum once in a while.

I probably have to look through it more often. I usually find that I'm reading about great deals that have just ended. If I read it more often I might catch some of those deals.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 09-16-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, we're hitting the tail end of them as they've been out there for a while but Toys R Us, Circuit City, KMart, and Sears are all in clearance mode right now. And Target is always doing clearance stuff. I try to hit there once a day or every couple of days at least so if a big sale starts, I'm not completely on the outside looking in. Sure, the ebayers will beat me to some of the stuff, but there will always be some games I want to play that they didn't hoard.

SI

Old 09-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #120
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

You know, I do remember reading that about Ciruit City and Toys R Us, but the ones near me seemed pretty much picked clean. I was pretty late to the party on those however.

I'm guessing that it'll be tricky to get great deals on some of the better DS games for a while, but I'd love to add another half dozen or so good GBA games to my collection.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #121
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A couple of the top selling titles like Nintendogs, New SMB, and Metroid Prime Hunters haven't had any deals yet but a lot of the really good "second tier" games like Kirby, Meteos, Metroid Pinball, Trace Memory (still haven't played yet) and even a top shelf game like Advance Wars have all had $10 and under prices lately.

GBA- well, there's too much to list that has been on sale lately.

The thing about sales like this is twofold. You need to get there in the first day or two. And you need to find that store that's a little out of the way where hoarders don't roam for a day or so. Don't go to that Best Buy in the new shiny yuppie center, go to the Circuit City by the old mall. That sort of thing.

SI

Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #122
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

That's a good point about the location of the stores. I usually go to the big, shiny Ciruit City right off the highway. There's a crappy old one that's really hard to find about 10 minutes in the other direction. I can easily go in that direction to check out a sale on occasion.

I didn't realize that some of those DS games had been on sale that cheaply already. I was happy to get the Prince of Persia Battles one for $10, but amost everything else decent that I've seen starts at $20.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, has anyone bought Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Pokemon Blue Rescue team or Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 yet? It seems like every time I turn around there is another premium title released on this system.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm. I'm thinking Pokemon Diamond would be a better choice for a soon to be 8 year old than Blue Rescue team maybe?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for Diamond/Pearl. Unfortunately, it's just now coming out in Japan this week so we won't see it until likely March or maybe even a summer release.

As for other games, I haven't bought much new lately because I have such a backlog of other stuff so I'll work my way to these games in 6 months when they can all be had for $20

SI

Old 09-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #126
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I picked up Mario Hoops and frankly I'm not much of a fan. Maybe I just suck at it, but I can't seem to get the damn stylus control to work for me, and though there are options to play it using the buttons, they don't give you the ability to do everything you can do with the stylus. I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I assume this is just a "I suck" problem, but it still irks me.

/tk
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #127
MikeVic
Head Coach

Anyone else have Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #128
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Anyone else have Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin?

SI and I both do, though I haven't played it yet (don't think he has, either). I bought it when I did for the pre-order package. I have been playing a lot of Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy III lately. Animal Crossing I just got an urge to play after a few months, Final Fantasy is fun but frustrating all at once, but I'll make it through it...eventually.

/tk
Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #129
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I got Castlevania for the pre-order as well. But have started playing it too.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #130
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm still playing the stuffing out of Advanced Wars and Nintendogs.

My pugs, Snuggles and Taco, are like the shop's dogs now.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's awesome, AE

Yeah, like tk said, I got Castlevania but it was for the pre-order bonus. Not sure when I'm going to break into that quite yet.

(I've been doing some Pokemon breeding of late to fill my Pokedex on Pokemon Box and that's a fairly time consuming process.)

SI

Old 12-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #132
TroyF
Coordinator

I've got the Castlevania game. Enjoying it quite a bit thus far.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #133
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

As if I needed any more games right now (I definitely don't, as I have a backlog going on), Yoshi's Island DS looks pretty good, got a 9.1 at gamespot.

/tk
Old 12-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- that's really high for Gamespot.

SI

Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #135
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

As an update, the DS is the best gaming purchase I have made in a long time. This thing rocks.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #136
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thought I'd bump this in case anybody got a DS and/or new games over the holiday....I got a pink DS Lite a little while back, and started a new game of Animal Crossing: Wild World, so these are my friend codes in case anybody wants to know...

Animal Crossing: 0215-5944-0559
Town: Ozville
Name: Kristin

Final Fantasy III: 1289-3675-1245

Clubhouse Games: 1031-6694-7891

Mario Kart DS: 111729-348632

I also have Brain Age and Contact, both of which have Wi-Fi capabilities but I don't know what they are or how to get my codes out of them yet (haven't played Contact yet).

Feel free to IM me on AIM or GTalk if you want to play.

/tk
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 AM   #137
hukarez
College Starter

*sigh* Looks like I'm going to have to get around to grabbing a DS Lite, since my co-worker lost mine -- and couldn't find it after 2.5 months of searching.

Having spent so much $$ on X-Mas gifts this year, I guess it'll be awhile. All these DS games I picked up, and no DS to play it on!

At least his 5 cartons of cigarettes for compensation should carry me through for a couple months or so!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #138
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

This person isn't buying you another DS because...?

For Christmas I picked up Animal Crossing for my daughter and I think I've played it 5 times more than she has. I can't hook to the internet since it requires me to configure my router to WEP, though I am thinking of reconfiguring it.

Animal Crossing is fun. Each time you play you discover that there is something else to do. My daughter likes catching fish and donating them to the museum. Tom Nook is a jerk!

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #139
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
This person isn't buying you another DS because...?

At the time, he couldn't find any in stock anywhere. Kind of tripped me out, but I was feigning for nicotine anyways and figure I'll just grab one myself down the line. Ideally, I'd like to grab one before I figure out if/when they're going to start integrating those DS Lites with my Wii!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #140
MikeVic
Head Coach

I got Animal Crossing for Christmas and will post my friend code sometime soon.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #141
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I just got an Onyx DS for Christmas from my wife. So far I've picked up Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Mario Kart. I am wondering about multiplayer though. How tough is it to get the wireless up and running? Obviously picking up the DS Wi-fi USB adapter seems easiest, but I'm considering getting a router with a new laptop in the next month. Is it a simple thing to get online play working with a router?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #142
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I just got an Onyx DS for Christmas from my wife. So far I've picked up Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Mario Kart. I am wondering about multiplayer though. How tough is it to get the wireless up and running? Obviously picking up the DS Wi-fi USB adapter seems easiest, but I'm considering getting a router with a new laptop in the next month. Is it a simple thing to get online play working with a router?

In my experience, it's easy. I don't know about the Wi-Fi USB adapter (I've had wireless for a good long time), but with the router, as long as you know your SSID and your WEP password, it's easy as pie.

/tk
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #143
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

I have my wifi router setup with the stronger WPA encryption and am reluctant to "backgrade" it to WEP which is supposedly FAAAAAR easier to hack into. I highly doubt anyone in range of my equipment would/could do this, but you never know.

I could have the router just accept certain MAC addresses, but I use many different wireless devices and it would be a PITA to have to configure it for each.

However, Animal Crossing seems like it might be worth the pain.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #144
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I should go through and update the first post in this thread at some point.

I have added a couple of wi-fi games to my collection, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Metroid Prime Hunters, but haven't played much yet of either.

SI

Old 01-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #145
MikeVic
Head Coach

My Friend Codes:
Castlevania: PoR Code is: 3694 5307 2661
Animal Crossing: Wild World is: 1976 5646 0633
Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #146
MikeVic
Head Coach

Got Bomberland Touch today, friend code for that is:
0688 0886 3532.

I'll be adding the Animal Crossing people from here into my Friend list today or tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #147
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oops, my Animal Crossing town is named Poratia.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone got Diddy Kong? I was thinking about picking it up. Reviews are pretty meh though.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #149
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anyone got Diddy Kong? I was thinking about picking it up. Reviews are pretty meh though.

Nah, for my money, I think Mario Kart is still going to be better...unless you've finished all the challenges in that one (I haven't).

/tk
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #150
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

wanted to put in a good word for clubhouse games. my mom's birthday was this past weekend and i got her a ds lite with brain age and clubhouse games. in order to show her how to play over wi-fi, she and i played the bowling game on it....a TON. seriously, i think we played about 3 hours of it. we were almost late for leaving for dinner because she kept saying "just one more game." admittedly, i sucked at bowling, owing at least in part to my cast, but all in all, it was GREAT fun, and i've played various games on it every day since, and i WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend it to anyone and everyone. and when someone gets it, post your friend code, it's great fun to play with people online

/tk