Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #101
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

why hasn't HeavyReign mentioned Heavy Rain yet?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #102
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The original Max Payne game's version of Bullet Time was pretty phenomenal. Click a button and you're suddenly a gunslinger out of legend shooting in real time while everything around you moves in slow motion. It was pretty awesome.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #103
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Bastion to me did an absolutely brilliant job of getting me to care about its story. The narrator was just a fantastic game mechanism.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #104
corbes
College Benchwarmer

On some level all I've ever wanted out of a baseball game was Earl Weaver Baseball with a solid career sim tacked onto it, and the same for NFL Challenge. I played those games ENDLESSLY as a kid. With that said those games don't quite hold up the way they do in my memory, but, still . . .

. . . On another level, I don't know that any computer game will ever be as immersive as the imaginary sports leagues I created in my head, played endlessly in the living room and yard and driveway, and managed on paper. It's probably fools gold to chase childhood like that.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #105
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
On some level all I've ever wanted out of a baseball game was Earl Weaver Baseball with a solid career sim tacked onto it, and the same for NFL Challenge. I played those games ENDLESSLY as a kid. With that said those games don't quite hold up the way they do in my memory, but, still . . .

. . . On another level, I don't know that any computer game will ever be as immersive as the imaginary sports leagues I created in my head, played endlessly in the living room and yard and driveway, and managed on paper. It's probably fools gold to chase childhood like that.

Yeah, me too. Especially back in the day of pre-PC, pre-internet, pre-cable and 4 TV stations.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #106
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Since we necro'd the hell out of this how about:

Guild Wars Not only for getting the economic model right for an MMORPG but also for having classes in a traditional fantasy setting that feel very different than normal fighters, rangers, clerics and wizards (although they have those too). Mesmer, Dervish, Paragon and especially freakin' Ritualists are just so different than most other classes. I mean come on, holding the ashes of dead heroes? What other class has that as an ability?

Roller Coaster Tycoon - For understanding how massively fun the basic idea of building a theme park was, and not making it nearly as complex as some other Chris Sawyer games and thus becoming the game that perfects the Tycoon genre.

Ultima Online - For not only having different mechanics than normal (no XP? No Levels?), but also embracing different skills that are just for fun, and not for crafting weapons and armor (carpentry? cooking? fishing? tailoring? cartography? mining? lumberjacking?) I wish other earlier MMORPGs tried to differentiate themselves from the traditional RPG genres as much as UO had.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-30-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #107
SportsDino
College Prospect

I'd have to second Roller Coaster Tycoon, overall simple game mechanics, but probably the most fun I've had with a sim (and I normally push for detailed simulations). A couple things I remember about it:

1. The ant farm effect... individual simlings were not particularly interesting, but I could spend half a minute just watching crowd migration within my park. Seeing all the people scurrying in as I open a new ride of 'land' was half the fun.

2. Creativity and design were encouraged by players, it wasn't a sim about stuffing as many units in an area as possible... it was more about building the best theme park in appearance to yourself (unless you actually cared about the missions, I honestly play sandbox mode with a huge park exclusively in RC2).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #108
MJ4H
Coordinator

Frozen Synapse - Pretty much everything. Single player campaign is great, multiplayer is handled pretty much perfectly. Interface is very well done, graphics are stylish but pragmatic. Engrossing strategically/tactically. Tense, dramatic, and FUN.

Portal - Innovation and humor. Also streamlined (nothing is extra or feels out of place--very tight package).

Portal 2 - Co-operative play. Never experienced anything in gaming as fun as Portal 2's co-op. And maybe even funnier than the original.

Super Meat Boy/VVVVVV - Frustration/reward-style difficult gameplay. I love that when you die, you are playing again almost instantly. It streamlines the "I've got to practice and learn the intricate details of everything on this level to get it right" part and makes it not tedious but enjoyable. Both of these games are the same in that regard. They both do other things well, too, but the heart of these two games is this element that I enjoy a lot.

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #109
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Bastion to me did an absolutely brilliant job of getting me to care about its story. The narrator was just a fantastic game mechanism.

I agree fully on this. One of the most enjoyable to play games that might otherwise be pretty damn mundane. I laughed hard when he said "The kid just decided to rage for a while" when I went on a breaking things spree.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #110
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post

1. The ant farm effect... individual simlings were not particularly interesting, but I could spend half a minute just watching crowd migration within my park. Seeing all the people scurrying in as I open a new ride of 'land' was half the fun.

Not to mention making a ride as DANGEROUS as possible so that it would fly off the pole and crash and explode, killing everybody. Then watching with amazement as people trampled each other to ride it again!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #111
cougarfreak
College Starter

For some reason, I love the ball flight animations in Puresim. I've played OOTP more, but I turn the animation off with it.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #112
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Dragon Age Origins: bang a hot witch storyline
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #113
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
For some reason, I love the ball flight animations in Puresim. I've played OOTP more, but I turn the animation off with it.

I think BM has the best ball flight animations, but Puresim's is 2nd for sure.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #114
Passacaglia
Coordinator

No BM animations please
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #115
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Ultima Online - For not only having different mechanics than normal (no XP? No Levels?), but also embracing different skills that are just for fun, and not for crafting weapons and armor (carpentry? cooking? fishing? tailoring? cartography? mining? lumberjacking?) I wish other earlier MMORPGs tried to differentiate themselves from the traditional RPG genres as much as UO had.

Wasn't UO pretty much the first major MMORPG? I played on a friend's account and I basically played a traveler. I mined and refined ore and sold it. And then I used those proceeds to make and buy runes. And then I basically sold runes to pretty much anywhere anyone wanted to go, all while exploring the world. I'm trying to think of another game where you could pretty much avoid combat (well, you couldn't because of the ahole nerfers and a lack of a pvp switch) and still "level" skills in the game and have fun.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #116
cody8200
High School Varsity

Chronotrigger - A fantastic story that really got me interested in RPG's for the first time.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Just finished playing this one again and the story is fantastic. Deus Ex - Did absolutely everything right. The first game gave you the stealth ability of Thief and the killing ability of Half Life and a story straight out of X Files. Wow that game was good.
Grand Theft Auto 3/VC/SA/4 - This series really established the open world 3D movement that many games try to emulate. Very few do it as well though.
Skyrim - I love using stealth and bow and arrow. I don't think I have ever had a memorable bow and arrow experience before Skyrim.
Heavy Rain - The story had a meh ending but the setup was phenomenal.
Fallout 3 and Las Vegas - Fallout 3 is absolutely epic in size. That was exciting but along with the futuristic setting and legacy of the Fallout series, this was my looked forward to game in a decade when it arrived. It met my expectations.
Half Life 2 - The timing of the battles/peaceful setting was down masterfully. Everytime you thought, this is getting a bit tiring, the next segment of the game would come along.
Portal 1 and 2 - Wow, Valve does make a damn fine game. From the voice acting to the innovative gameplay, these games were fantastic and memorable.
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy - Another david cage game -same guy who created heavy rain. This guy knows good stories (at least until the endings) and this game is no exception. Fantastic premise with an interesting control scheme.
The Longest Journey - You want to talk story, this game had it in spades! An amazing game that once was named PC Gamer's game of the year despite its poor graphics. This is an absolute must play - even now. It's followup, Dreamfall was equally fun but not quite as impressive story-wise.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #117
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar View Post
No One Lives Forever - absolutely nailed the tongue in cheek 60's spy vibe

Good stuff from NOLF...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BDoUx33SU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PxxbJydBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eNfuKSZNIk

I loved this series so freakin much. I wish it would come back.

I think everyone really nailed most of mine, with Bioshock nailing just about everything.

I'll add one:

System Shock 2: You felt like what you were supposed to be, the only living human on a ship where really bad things happened. I'll never forget some of the ghost cut scenes. Truly frightening.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #118
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'll add one:

System Shock 2: You felt like what you were supposed to be, the only living human on a ship where really bad things happened. I'll never forget some of the ghost cut scenes. Truly frightening.

This.

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote