Old 09-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #101
Suicane75
Coordinator

...dumb
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #102
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Do we officially sound the UPSET ALERT Horn for the first time?

#3 Oklahoma trailing 33-17 at the end of 3...
Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #103
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I wouldn't wanna be a Clemson fan in that stadium tonight. It could get ugly.

Nah. I've been to several games there including 2010 when Clemson went up 17 before gagging it away in Cam's NT year.

They were loud and passionate but no assholes. Unlike lots of places. Maryland and GT are two of the worst surprisingly. Not the loudeSt but just asshole fans.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #104
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Loving seeing Houston turn up the heat on Oklahoma
Old 09-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #105
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Northwestern trailing 22-21 against Western Michigan with 2:54 to go. NW QB fumbles into the end zone with the ball heading out of bounds. WM player dove and threw the ball back and NW covers for what looks like a TD. NW called for holding, so the TD wouldn't have counted, but the refs say WM player actually stepped out of bounds on the throw back so it's a touchback (being reviewed).

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-03-2016 at 02:04 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #106
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Loving seeing Houston turn up the heat on Oklahoma

This will make the OSU game a must win. Oklahoma can't afford to start 1-2.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #107
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Typical Sooners. When ranked high they always disappoint. More so than the loss Oklahoma should be concerned that they really should have gotten beat by more points.

I think the Clemson/Auburn game will be a shootout.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #108
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

No idea what to expect from the Clemson D.
I expect Clemson to be able to score.

So a shootout seems possible.

I really don't like the team staying 90 minutes away. Throws schedule off.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-03-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #109
Suicane75
Coordinator

Guys, Greg Ward is really a very great college quarterback.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #110
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Nah. I've been to several games there including 2010 when Clemson went up 17 before gagging it away in Cam's NT year.

They were loud and passionate but no assholes. Unlike lots of places. Maryland and GT are two of the worst surprisingly. Not the loudeSt but just asshole fans.

That's cool. I always just assume the worst of fans, being from Philly and all.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #111
Suicane75
Coordinator

Iowa looking good. The Big 10 is scoring a lot of points today. Like lots.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #112
Butter
Coordinator

The Big 10, aside from Wisconsin, are all playing garbage teams.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #113
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The LSU QB isn't very good.

I feel like that statement has been true for most of my lifetime.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #114
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

People are always forgetting about Rutgers.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #115
Easy Mac

Quote:

Yeah, LSU is like if the garbage was on fire.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #116
Suicane75
Coordinator

LSU is playing like they don't care.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #117
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hey, why Oregon can't be winning against UC Davis?
Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #118
SackAttack
Head Coach

LSU (5) losing and Oklahoma (3) lost.

Both of those teams are going to somehow remain in the championship picture, barring additional future losses, despite losing today.

Meanwhile, there's going to be a mid-major school that gets dismissed from even being considered because "look if you want to play for a championship, win all your games. Period."

TL;DR: the start of the college football season is the start of the biggest pile of steaming shit in American sports.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #119
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

UCLA's OL looks very bad. Making it a long day for Rosen.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #120
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch. Not a good start for Bronco at UVA.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #121
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

Both of those teams are going to somehow remain in the championship picture, barring additional future losses, despite losing today.

Meanwhile, there's going to be a mid-major school that gets dismissed from even being considered because "look if you want to play for a championship, win all your games. Period."

TL;DR: the start of the college football season is the start of the biggest pile of steaming shit in American sports.

For a country that, by and large, buys into the idea of meritocracy, obsession college football is a glaring exception to the rule.

That said, college football more closely resembles the way things actually work. We all pretend that success is completely based on merit. In reality, it is 50% merit and 50% reputation/expectations.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #122
TroyF
Coordinator

That should be the end of that LSU OL NCAA career. #76
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #123
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Hey guys, I found the guy who comments on the sports thread just to say"boo, sports!"

Your comments are noted and dismissed.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #124
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The only thing I can think of is maybe he didn't see that he was ever down. I hope that was the case.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #125
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That should be the end of that LSU OL NCAA career. #76

Youd end his college career because of a late hit after a very frustrating moment? Wasnt exactly the dirtiest late hit Ive seen. He was following the QB. Who knows what he saw.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-03-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #126
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hey guys, I found the guy who comments on the sports thread just to say"boo, sports!"

+1
Old 09-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #127
lungs
Pro Rookie

Pleasantly surprised with the win! Looks like Dave Aranda isn't the only one that can coordinate that defense.

Still a rough schedule for the Badgers, but it's a good start.

FWIW I thought that personal foul at the end was 76 thinking the interceptor was still returning it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #128
Easy Mac

Seems it will be Alabama and the seven dwarves this year.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #129
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Shocking how inept the LSU offense was against Wisconsin. I guess the Badgers are once again underrated.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #130
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Youd end his college career because of a late hit after a very frustrating moment? Wasnt exactly the dirtiest late hit Ive seen. He was following the QB. Who knows what he saw.

No, that was garbage. PURE 100% garbage. He knew damned well what was going on. (I'm sure that'll be his BS excuse, but I'm not buying it for a second) He could have broke that guys neck. It was a cheap shot, it was intentional and it was only because his team lost the game. I have zero tolerance for that crap, zero. I don't care if everyone in society disagrees with me, he has no business being on a football field.

And before anyone says "but, but, but your team" I said Talib should have been ejected and suspended for games this season due to the face mask in the Super Bowl. Were that guy on my team, I'd hope the coach had the stones to do the right thing. (sadly, I know they wouldn't, especially if he was a guy who could help the team win)
Old 09-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #131
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

But tradition.

edit: says the old guy who wants the Texans to be the Oilers

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-03-2016 at 06:10 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #132
Edward64
Head Coach

Arkansas is only up by 1 against Louisiana Tech at the 2 min warning. AR is at 4th and inches at our 38 yard line. Looks like we are going for it.

Not a good sign for this year.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #133
Butter
Coordinator

UCLA!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #134
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, that was garbage. PURE 100% garbage. He knew damned well what was going on. (I'm sure that'll be his BS excuse, but I'm not buying it for a second) He could have broke that guys neck. It was a cheap shot, it was intentional and it was only because his team lost the game. I have zero tolerance for that crap, zero. I don't care if everyone in society disagrees with me, he has no business being on a football field.

And before anyone says "but, but, but your team" I said Talib should have been ejected and suspended for games this season due to the face mask in the Super Bowl. Were that guy on my team, I'd hope the coach had the stones to do the right thing. (sadly, I know they wouldn't, especially if he was a guy who could help the team win)

Luckily for you that if everyone took your stance half of your beloved Broncos players would have never finished their college careers and probably never have been drafted. Its a physical game and some dirty things happen. If this player makes this a habit get him off the team. If hes the nicest guy in the world that had a bad moment forgive and move on.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #135
Edward64
Head Coach

We made it. I would have kicked it so guess that was the right call. Not very impressive debut for Arkansas ... we always seem to start off slow at the start of the season.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #136
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
UCLA!

Wow! They looked dead 15 minutes ago. Rosen has caught fire!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #137
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
We made it. I would have kicked it so guess that was the right call. Not very impressive debut for Arkansas ... we always seem to start off slow at the start of the season.

Well, I guess better than LSU so I'll take it.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fun one in College Station

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #139
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Luckily for you that if everyone took your stance half of your beloved Broncos players would have never finished their college careers and probably never have been drafted. Its a physical game and some dirty things happen. If this player makes this a habit get him off the team. If hes the nicest guy in the world that had a bad moment forgive and move on.

OK, you made the statement, so go find me clips on half of the Broncos roster who made a play that dirty. College or Pro. Hell, go back to HS if you have to. I'm not joking.

I understand football is a physical game. I understand in the context of the game you can go too far. Von Miller had a nasty hit on Alex Smith a couple of years ago. Late and to the back. (note: I also advocated a suspension there) That was a late hit in the context of the game.

What just happened has zero to do with being too aggressive on a play or being physical. It had to do with a player losing his composure and cheap shotting a guy with a blind sided hit that could have caused serious bodily harm. It was assault. I've watched the replay. After the play, he's talking smack to Wisconsin players. All you have to do is look at Les's reaction. He knows what it was. ANYONE who watched that play knows what happened.

I'll drop it here. If you disagree with me, so be it. But I doubt very seriously you could find half of my beloved Broncos with a hit that dirty. I've watched more football in my life than I'd like to admit and I can think of very few situations that even come close to what I just saw. You are entitled to your viewpoint, I'm just way, way, way on the other side of it.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

OT!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #141
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK, you made the statement, so go find me clips on half of the Broncos roster who made a play that dirty. College or Pro. Hell, go back to HS if you have to. I'm not joking.

I understand football is a physical game. I understand in the context of the game you can go too far. Von Miller had a nasty hit on Alex Smith a couple of years ago. Late and to the back. (note: I also advocated a suspension there) That was a late hit in the context of the game.

What just happened has zero to do with being too aggressive on a play or being physical. It had to do with a player losing his composure and cheap shotting a guy with a blind sided hit that could have caused serious bodily harm. It was assault. I've watched the replay. After the play, he's talking smack to Wisconsin players. All you have to do is look at Les's reaction. He knows what it was. ANYONE who watched that play knows what happened.

I'll drop it here. If you disagree with me, so be it. But I doubt very seriously you could find half of my beloved Broncos with a hit that dirty. I've watched more football in my life than I'd like to admit and I can think of very few situations that even come close to what I just saw. You are entitled to your viewpoint, I'm just way, way, way on the other side of it.

I dont agree or disagree I dont know the kid or the situation to just throw him off team like that. Yes it was dirty but Ive seen plenty of great people do bad things. If you have the short leash on anything dirty that can happen on the football field you will be ending a lot of careers very fast. You really dont think half of your Broncos teams have had late hits/personal fouls/unsportsmanlike conducts penaltys in their career? If you draw a line in the sand you have to enforce it Mr Hardliner.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #142
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Nah. I love sports.

But college football is, I'm sorry, a steaming pile of shit.

For all kinds of reasons, really. The double standard over whether or not you need to win ALL your games to be championship-eligible is just the tip of the iceberg.

My opinion of the sport only gets less complimentary from there.

Baseball? I'm down.

Hockey? Bring it on.

Soccer/Futbol/whatever you wanna call it? Right on.

American pro football? I hate that even when the sport is out of season, the Packers will get 10x the local media coverage of literally any other team from any other sport. But that's not a flaw with the sport. That's a flaw with the sport's fans and the media who cater to them because $$.

College basketball? It's not my favorite, I admit, but my issues with that sport rest primarily on the fact that power conference at-large schools don't have the same risk of being forced into the play-in game as a mid-major or small conference champion with an automatic berth does. But at least in basketball those schools still get the opportunity to chase the dream, while college football busily rearranges its deck chairs to make it LOOK like opportunities are being created when that's not actually the case.

College football is a steaming pile of shit. It's a sport that took decades to figure out how to determine a championship game that wasn't controlled by a bunch of rancid old white guys casting their top 25 ballots for TRADITION, and as soon as they had that system, began systematically stripping away the elements of it that didn't slobber all over the knob of TRADITION; eventually, they gave in to the tiniest possible playoff system, and stacked the deck so that an undefeated small school can still be ignored for a 1- or 2-loss power conference school, as long as that school has a sufficient number of worshipers at the altar of TRADITION.

Boo, sports? No. Boo this sport in particular? Absolutely.

Last edited by SackAttack : 09-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #143
Atocep
Coordinator

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I must have never really listened to Gary Danielson. This man is truly a dumbass

Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #145
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Boo to the only sport where week 1 to week 16 every game is important and each team tries their best to win each game. If only the professional sports in America could come up with a system where a bad teams fans would rather not lose games late in the season to get higher draft choices.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-03-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #146
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wait, does the ref have pink eye?

Old 09-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #147
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good game Texas A&M! It's a shame to lose that one but UCLA had all sorts of opportunities.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #148
TroyF
Coordinator

UCLA goes down. Big win for A&M.

A lot of great stories to go with these upsets, but two of my favorites of week one so far:

James Connor scores a couple of TD's for Pitt.

Nick Chubb looks like he didn't lose a lot from that horrible injury. He's playing very well tonight. It's good to see that he's back. I hope he can stay healthy for awhile. Seems like a good kid.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope he can stay healthy for awhile. Seems like a good kid.

Loathe to say anything good about someone wearing that uniform but ... Chubb is a guy that pretty much no one is going to outwork.

Very old school work ethic, and a believer that "the ball ain't heavy".
Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #150
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
UCLA goes down. Big win for A&M.

A lot of great stories to go with these upsets, but two of my favorites of week one so far:

James Connor scores a couple of TD's for Pitt.

Nick Chubb looks like he didn't lose a lot from that horrible injury. He's playing very well tonight. It's good to see that he's back. I hope he can stay healthy for awhile. Seems like a good kid.

Yep, glad to see him back.

Speaking of upsets: Mississippi State missing Dak Prescott already....back to the old Bulldogs.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-03-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote