Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Injured players will have their entire education covered as long as they remain in good academic standing. This is a big deal particularly if you have been following what Northwestern players are asking for and the way the politics are going to play out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #102
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Shrug.

So if a player is failing then what? Will they honor his scholarship or boot him? Ever heard the term weed out class? Its just moves the dirty.

I agree there are issues, but of all the issues in NCAA the 4 year vs 4 x 1year is about number 287 on the list.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Biggie @iman_marshall8
Follow
USC is now offering four year scholarships to all student athletes in lieu of one year renewable scholarships, #GAMECHANGER!

Tried to copy his tweet but it didn't work. Anyway, that is the text of the tweet from Iman "Biggie" Marshall, one of the top CB's in the nation.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-23-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #104
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wait, so when USC was previously giving scholarships, it was the caveat that they would not have them in year 2?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-23-2014 at 08:39 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #105
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Every school in America gives 1 year scholarship and renews them every year.

Even with this USC is just making a promise. Current NCAA bylaws will not allow 4 year scholarships.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #106
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup. It's pretty much assumed you get the scholarship for the course of your tenure as a student athlete
Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #107
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Yup. It's pretty much assumed you get the scholarship for the course of your tenure as a student athlete

Nah not at all.

See Bama, South Carolina, Ole Miss...you know most of the SEC. Routinely signings 25-28/year when you can only get 85 every 4.5...but the numbers always work.

Many, many times these "transfers" you hear about have been told their scholarship has been pulled. They give them a chance to find a new home to save face for both.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #108
MrBug708
Head Coach

Key word is assumed. No pitch goes "I'm only giving you one year on scholarship and you need to earn the other three" when the coach is sitting in the recruit's living room.

I think we are arguing the same thing here.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #109
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sounds like Isaiah Langley will pick the Trojans today. It's nice to see UCLA is being recruited against for having too much depth at a particular position and a kid not coming here.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #110
MrBug708
Head Coach

Has Dilfer always been an ass?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

4 star WR Desean Holmes committed to USC today.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Athletic QB Sam Darnold committed to USC today.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #113
MrBug708
Head Coach

Where is Max Browne going?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #114
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

4* DE Austin Bryant commits to Clemson
Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #115
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

For the UCLA/USC fans...

Keep this here for a week please.

You will begin seeing today predictions of Ray Ray McLoud to UCLA.
Dont get excited or pissed depending on your allegiances.

The announcement is next Monday. I feel very confident as of right now that it is down to Florida and Clemson. I feel very confident if he announced today it would be Florida.

This family has worked very hard to control the flow of information and been very guarded with who they shared what with. They have tested everyone tey have came in contact with. Some folks have violated their trust in their opinion. Those people are being led down a rabbit hole.

I hesitated posting this here...please keep it off the other boards in the Rivals/Scout/247 system.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
For the UCLA/USC fans...

Keep this here for a week please.

You will begin seeing today predictions of Ray Ray McLoud to UCLA.
Dont get excited or pissed depending on your allegiances.

The announcement is next Monday. I feel very confident as of right now that it is down to Florida and Clemson. I feel very confident if he announced today it would be Florida.

This family has worked very hard to control the flow of information and been very guarded with who they shared what with. They have tested everyone tey have came in contact with. Some folks have violated their trust in their opinion. Those people are being led down a rabbit hole.

I hesitated posting this here...please keep it off the other boards in the Rivals/Scout/247 system.

Interesting. I have seen the reports for UCLA on Ray Ray, but most of the people who's opinions count on Scout say they're hearing Clemson. I haven't gotten too much feel he was ever coming to Westwood.

That said, while I understand being upset at violations of trust by media journalists, the fact the family is leading on two whole fan bases (and presumeably coaching staffs as well) to embarass some media journalists tells me they're not much better people than the guys they are going after.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #117
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That said, while I understand being upset at violations of trust by media journalists, the fact the family is leading on two whole fan bases (and presumeably coaching staffs as well) to embarass some media journalists tells me they're not much better people than the guys they are going after.
I wouldn't presume the coaches are being similarly mislead. They might be, but the family might also be telling the involved coaches who their true finalists are.

As for the fanbases - eh. Those of us that follow recruiting closely shouldn't get that worked up over this sort of thing. It's actually a bit creepy when you think about it for us complete strangers to obsess over the college decisions of teenage kids.

There are a lot of unscrupulous recruiting reporters out there, and if a particular family has been burned by one or more of them during the recruiting process, I don't blame the family for feeding them bad info to damage their credibility.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I wouldn't presume the coaches are being similarly mislead. They might be, but the family might also be telling the involved coaches who their true finalists are.

As for the fanbases - eh. Those of us that follow recruiting closely shouldn't get that worked up over this sort of thing. It's actually a bit creepy when you think about it for us complete strangers to obsess over the college decisions of teenage kids.

There are a lot of unscrupulous recruiting reporters out there, and if a particular family has been burned by one or more of them during the recruiting process, I don't blame the family for feeding them bad info to damage their credibility.

I would presume the coaching staffs are being misled, because the family can't really control information coming out of those schools.

As for fanbases, on a personal level, I agree with you, and I don't get too worked up about it other than our occasional "fun" pissing matches here between fans lol. But I don't think it's wrong to look askance at a family that would do that, anymore than judging reporters who betray recruits' trust.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #119
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would presume the coaching staffs are being misled, because the family can't really control information coming out of those schools.
That's certainly possible. But they may feel more trust with these coaching staffs to keep things under wraps. I guess from my 15 years of being a recruitnik my view would be that, yes, coaching staffs often leak things to recruiting sites. But they also need to be careful not to burn folks, because that can come back and bite you in the butt. And so it's been my understanding that often coaching staffs will know well ahead of the recruiting sites (and public) where a kid is headed.

For all we know, maybe they don't trust Mora to keep things under wraps and that's why they picked UCLA as the red herring?

(that's not meant as a dig at UCLA & Mora, just as a possible explanation)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #120
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I'm not sure why UCLA was used and who knows I guess its possible I'm the one getting the bogus story. I always consider that in these instances.

All that said, from what I have gathered this afternoon both Clemson and Florida staffs feel like he is going to the other one. Frankly I hope he ends up in Clemson of course, but Im not really 100% sure where he fits in if he does.

He is incredibly talented, but his future payday in at CB. I'm not sure RRM will listen to that right now, but he should.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's certainly possible. But they may feel more trust with these coaching staffs to keep things under wraps. I guess from my 15 years of being a recruitnik my view would be that, yes, coaching staffs often leak things to recruiting sites. But they also need to be careful not to burn folks, because that can come back and bite you in the butt. And so it's been my understanding that often coaching staffs will know well ahead of the recruiting sites (and public) where a kid is headed.

For all we know, maybe they don't trust Mora to keep things under wraps and that's why they picked UCLA as the red herring?

(that's not meant as a dig at UCLA & Mora, just as a possible explanation)

The thing there, though, is that there is little incentive for those staffs to keep under wraps that a recruit is not coming to them. They may not necessarily have reason to reveal it, but no reason to hide it either. I don't know why a staff would actively aid a recruit in this if they're not the staff getting the recruit. So I would assume all staffs are being told the same things they have been told all along by the recruit and his handlers.

It's certainly possible it is Mora's staff, but I doubt it. The west coast Scout recruiting experts, Hicks and Biggins, are both saying Clemson, and they don't have strong connections to the Florida recruiting area. So their connection to McCloud would either be the Scout expert network or the UCLA staff. If McCloud and his family were feeding UCLA's staff misinformation, we might see west coast based scouts picking UCLA for McCloud. Instead, I am seeing Florida based scouts on 247 primarily picking McCloud to UCLA. So that tells me the sources being "burned" are Florida sources, either those reporters or the sources of those reporters (i.e. Florida HS sources).

Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure why UCLA was used and who knows I guess its possible I'm the one getting the bogus story. I always consider that in these instances.

All that said, from what I have gathered this afternoon both Clemson and Florida staffs feel like he is going to the other one. Frankly I hope he ends up in Clemson of course, but Im not really 100% sure where he fits in if he does.

He is incredibly talented, but his future payday in at CB. I'm not sure RRM will listen to that right now, but he should.

I have a lot of respect for Biggins and Hicks on Scout and they both say Clemson, FWIW. But, again, they are probably getting their info from the Scout network back east (Jamie Newberg, Scott Kennedy, etc.). Both Hicks and Biggins pretty much admit they don't have their own sources on this and don't put much personal credence in anything as a result.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-21-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

WR Tristan Payton decommitted from Florida today and I'm hopeful that he is going to commit to USC in the near future.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #124
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Instead, I am seeing Florida based scouts on 247 primarily picking McCloud to UCLA. So that tells me the sources being "burned" are Florida sources, either those reporters or the sources of those reporters (i.e. Florida HS sources).

The Florida "National Analyst" for 247 is Ryan Bartow.
Very hard worker. Very connected. Fiends for information and will attempt to get it at any cost. For the last 6 years he was the Clemson Rivals guy. I am good friends with Ryan. Stayed at his place last year when we went down for he bowl game. He is pushing the heck out of this story. He is "very close" with the McLoud...

I've probably said too much...
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #125
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The thing there, though, is that there is little incentive for those staffs to keep under wraps that a recruit is not coming to them. They may not necessarily have reason to reveal it, but no reason to hide it either.
Sure there is. I don't know the school in question here nor the family situation of this particular recruit, but the reasons why a coaching staff would keep quiet are:

A) Keeping in good graces with the high school coach;
B) Not getting a rep among recruits in a particular region that they can't be trusted;
C) Not burning a family that may have other potential future recruits in the household
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #126
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure there is. I don't know the school in question here nor the family situation of this particular recruit, but the reasons why a coaching staff would keep quiet are:

B) Not getting a rep among recruits in a particular region that they can't be trusted;
C) Not burning a family that may have other potential future recruits in the household

Plus remember coaches cant mention a specific recruit publicly in any way. So their only means to release info would be to tell a specific reporter and let him "have a source"...here is the issue with that.

In many, many ways recruiting services have became quite an asset to college football programs. If a coach favors one service or guy over another he may hinder his ability to get info from that source, or in extreme examples may actually cause that source too help his opponent. I know, for example, that just employed by the big 3 Clemson has recruiting "gurus" who graduated from NcSt, North Carolina, and in the past has had Wisconsin, and Florida grads or fans. Its not unheard of for a guy to send info to his favorite school instead of the one he is paid to report on. Especially if he has a bad relationship with a particular coach. Ive seen reporters actually play a fairly significant role in undermining position coaches job.

So the question is often asked how can some "dumb internet message board writer know more than a D1 head coach or help a D1 coach in any way."

This is where recruting has gotten amongst its dirtiest in my opinion.
First a reporter has no laws governing who he contacts or how many times etc. When I was more actively helping out and on the road it wasnt unusual to have lunch with a high school coach. A D1 head coach cant really do that. In big cities that may mean taking a certain coach to a Ruth's Chris, in small towns that might mean leaving the coach's cousin a $50 tip (or more) at the local diner. (There is no rule preventing athe college coach from buying a membership or 500 to a given site or buying books from a writer, that may never get delivered as a means of retribution). Then you become friends with that HS coach and when he has a prospect you know about him first. You pass that info along to the team you follow and they get an early lead on the prospect. In exchange they let you know about a silent committ a day or so before its public and you get the scoop. A reporter will also get asked to do "dirty work" for both HS and college coaches. Maybe a college is backing off a player but doesnt want to upset the HS and hurt future recruiting efforts. Now the recruiting guru calls rival schools (or rivals schools gurus) gauges interest, talks the kid up "Man State U (local school) is really after this kid, but Ive heard him say he would rather end up at Tech but they arent showing as much love. They really should push for him I think he is theirs to lose" the prospect in question decides on his own to go elsewhere and never knows he couldnt have committed to the home town school if he had tried. Or a HS coach has a borderline second tier prospect who is a good kid but from a shitty family "Man see if you can talk to all your D2 connections and get this kid a scholarship. He'll be in jail in 6months if we let him graduate here" I can peronsally attest to 4 of these situation where I know kids were given scholarships that the lower level coaching staff really wasnt sold on. Next up small local school gets home squash date with Giant Local U and a $750k pay day.

Finally there is the qustion of time. College coaches have all these other jobs, like you know coaching football. Recruiting reporters can literally spend 7 hours a day talking to HS football coaches and 1 hour a day writing a story or 2 and be very successful. A good reporter will talk to HS coaches 3 times or more for every time a coach does. They literally have the chance to uncover gems and feed them to a coach, happens more than many probably suspect.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 07-22-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You mistake the degree of participation I am talking about. I understand that these are potential reasons to not be vocal about a recruit not going to them. But actually aiding in that recruit's subterfuge when he is going to another school? Why would they do that? None of the above is either relevant or a strong enough reason. I could see C, but even that is iffy because A) the vast majority of families don't have more than one high major D1 level recruit in the household and B) since the older recruit is going elsewhere, any such younger recruit is already more likely to go to that other school as well.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #128
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You mistake the degree of participation I am talking about. I understand that these are potential reasons to not be vocal about a recruit not going to them. But actually aiding in that recruit's subterfuge when he is going to another school? Why would they do that? None of the above is either relevant or a strong enough reason. I could see C, but even that is iffy because A) the vast majority of families don't have more than one high major D1 level recruit in the household and B) since the older recruit is going elsewhere, any such younger recruit is already more likely to go to that other school as well.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

I'd suspect the "target" coaching staff isnt keeping anything under wraps.
They are likely not getting told anythign beyond "I really really like your school, enjoyed my visit, I could see myself paying there. Dad says I cant tell anyone where Im announcing until right before the ceremony, Monday."

I dont think in the RRM discussion, for example that UCLA knows he isnt going there and is keeping that under wraps. If that is the question?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd suspect the "target" coaching staff isnt keeping anything under wraps.
They are likely not getting told anythign beyond "I really really like your school, enjoyed my visit, I could see myself paying there. Dad says I cant tell anyone where Im announcing until right before the ceremony, Monday."

I dont think in the RRM discussion, for example that UCLA knows he isnt going there and is keeping that under wraps. If that is the question?

Yeah, you got it. I think your scenario is exactly what is happening there.

My opinion was that (for whatever legit reason it is), it is poor form for the recruit to mislead a fanbase and staff to embarrass a bad Internet reporter or out a source (HS coach, handler, whatever) who broke a trust.

dawg responded saying the staff is likely aware of this and suggested they were working to keep it under wraps with the recruit (the recruit who is NOT going to their school). I called BS on that.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #130
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dawg responded saying the staff is likely aware of this and suggested they were working to keep it under wraps with the recruit (the recruit who is NOT going to their school). I called BS on that.

In this instance I'll agree with you.
I can tell you in the past, Ive heard of a coach calling a rival coach and saying "Enjoy X,Y,Z...I know he is yours but I wont ruin his moment"

Most coaches are good guys and understand these are kids they are dealing with so even when they see them screwing up they are going to treat them like kids and not try to destroy them.

In this particular case...info has been coming out that has been passed on by the HS head coach. Said HC wont allow sources back on his campus in the future I suspect...he may even go as far as to contact the national service and voice his displeasure and threaten to enevr allow anyone affiliated with that service to talk to his players...hypothetically speaking of course.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #131
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In this instance I'll agree with you.
I can tell you in the past, Ive heard of a coach calling a rival coach and saying "Enjoy X,Y,Z...I know he is yours but I wont ruin his moment"

Most coaches are good guys and understand these are kids they are dealing with so even when they see them screwing up they are going to treat them like kids and not try to destroy them.

In this particular case...info has been coming out that has been passed on by the HS head coach. Said HC wont allow sources back on his campus in the future I suspect...he may even go as far as to contact the national service and voice his displeasure and threaten to enevr allow anyone affiliated with that service to talk to his players...hypothetically speaking of course.

Oh, recruiting is such a varied thing, I know that. There will definitely be all sorts of different stories like above (your example of a HC calling a rival HC). It's just noting that that certainly happens--but it's not necessarily the norm.

All sorts of stuff is possible when you have about 100-1000 moving pieces all scheming one way or another to sway the opinion of a 17 year old kid.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I will be very interested to see how this plays out from the recruiting reporting perspective. Your bud Bartow was one of the two on 247 to switch his pick on McCloud the other day that I am aware of. The other was Josh Newberg who is Jamie Newberg's brother (Jamie with Scout).

It seems to be the opinion on Scout that Josh Newberg is actually pretty solid, so if he got snared, that may be a bit of a surprise. From your description of Bartow, though, not so much on him, it seems.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #133
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dont misread what am saying. RB is a great guy. He is just a bulldog, hes tenacious. At times he rubs people the wrong way. We all do in all walks of life. But its what makes him great at what he does.

I remember having a drink with him one night after a game in my condo in Clemson...it was probably approaching 2:30 in the morning we had been going strong sine 6:00 AM. I was winding down, watching sportscenter final and about to crash. He is wearing his thumbs out on a phone.
I look over like WTF man it's 2:30...
He said I am just writing texts. Im going to church in the morning for a friends kid's baptism...so I'll go ahead and write texts to all the kids Im followin up on and just hit send in the AM to get their feedback on the game. How many texts ya writing...you been pecking for a while?

He's as dedicated to his craft as any I know. Just didnt want this to sound like a bashing...

BTW he has been told he is getting played here. He is that confident in his source he thinks he is right. Like I said early on, he may very well be. I dont think so however.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dont misread what am saying. RB is a great guy. He is just a bulldog, hes tenacious. At times he rubs people the wrong way. We all do in all walks of life. But its what makes him great at what he does.

I remember having a drink with him one night after a game in my condo in Clemson...it was probably approaching 2:30 in the morning we had been going strong sine 6:00 AM. I was winding down, watching sportscenter final and about to crash. He is wearing his thumbs out on a phone.
I look over like WTF man it's 2:30...
He said I am just writing texts. Im going to church in the morning for a friends kid's baptism...so I'll go ahead and write texts to all the kids Im followin up on and just hit send in the AM to get their feedback on the game. How many texts ya writing...you been pecking for a while?

He's as dedicated to his craft as any I know. Just didnt want this to sound like a bashing...

BTW he has been told he is getting played here. He is that confident in his source he thinks he is right. Like I said early on, he may very well be. I dont think so however.

Great story. Yeah, I hear ya. We're all mixed bags and we all rub some people the wrong way (or get along with some people, no matter what we or they do). I guess RB takes the good with the bad, and sees it as a net benefit for him (and maybe it is). He clearly has done well in the biz.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #135
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's not exactly correct; I was saying that just because UCLA might be getting used as a misdirection to shame a recruiting reporter doesn't necessarily mean that UCLA coaches are similarly being deceived.

And if they are aware of his plans - or at least that they are not a finalist - why would they not leak that info? For all the reasons I've already listed.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not exactly correct; I was saying that just because UCLA might be getting used as a misdirection to shame a recruiting reporter doesn't necessarily mean that UCLA coaches are similarly being deceived.

And if they are aware of his plans - or at least that they are not a finalist - why would they not leak that info? For all the reasons I've already listed.

If the kid does not intend to go to UCLA and is continuing to tell them they're in it, because he and his family/handlers have some ulterior motive with this reporter, then he is deceiving UCLA coaches. This is as opposed to still being actively undecided, which is different. If CU Tiger is correct, then it would be the former, not the later. You're proposing that there is a scenario where the McClouds are doing this AND UCLA is in on it, or aware of it, and I don't believe that to be the case. It would make no sense for UCLA to just go along with that. Ergo, they are not aware, and the kid is continuing to tell them they're in it (deceive them).

As for the second part, as I stated above, they would not necessarily actively release that info, but they wouldn't hide it either. Your reasons given are flimsy, IMO, and not enough for a coaching staff to change their recruiting approach, especially with respects to a family, high school and region on the other side of the country. They may not come out and say "Ray McCloud is not coming to UCLA", but they could certainly leak that they're "cooling" on him or that they are warming up on Ryan Newsome or Christian Kirk or Dominic Davis, for instance, other players who play the same or similar positions/roles, if it suited their purposes for recruiting those players or filling that role in this class.

They also gain nothing from helping a kid deceive a reporter, when the kid will move on and go to college and no longer be of recruiting consequence, but the reporter will continue to be an effective tool in the industry for many years after this recruiting cycle.

Sorry, dawg, I just don't see the logic in your hypothesis at all.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #137
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You're proposing that there is a scenario where the McClouds are doing this AND UCLA is in on it, or aware of it, and I don't believe that to be the case. It would make no sense for UCLA to just go along with that. Ergo, they are not aware, and the kid is continuing to tell them they're in it (deceive them).
No, there is another possibility - they are deceiving the reporter and telling the UCLA coaches they are out of it, but not telling UCLA coaches that they are deliberately feeding this particular reporter bad info. Why would they? For all UCLA knows, the reporter just got bad info, not that he's being actively played.

Quote:
As for the second part, as I stated above, they would not necessarily actively release that info, but they wouldn't hide it either. Your reasons given are flimsy, IMO, and not enough for a coaching staff to change their recruiting approach, especially with respects to a family, high school and region on the other side of the country.
In this particular case, that may be. I don't follow UCLA recruiting closely enough to know how national they are recruiting and whether they are working to establish a pipeline at this school or in this area. If this is mostly a one-off pursuit, sure - they have little motivation to keep help the kid out. But if this is a school or area where they intend to continue recruiting in the future, then the calculus is different.

Let's say this scenario was playing out with a kid at Crenshaw H.S. or Long Beach Poly - do you think UCLA coaches would be a lot more inclined to go along with his wishes?

Quote:
They also gain nothing from helping a kid deceive a reporter, when the kid will move on and go to college and no longer be of recruiting consequence, but the reporter will continue to be an effective tool in the industry for many years after this recruiting cycle.

Sorry, dawg, I just don't see the logic in your hypothesis at all.
See my above response - who says they'd be helping the kid deceive a reporter? Or more accurately, who says they'd know that's what's happening?

If the kid is telling them that Florida and Clemson are his finalists and that he's announcing publicly in a week, and that he'd prefer to keep things under wraps, then it's up to UCLA coaches to decide what's more important:

A) Not burning the kid (and possibly damaging relationships with his coach, other kids in the area and any younger brothers that might be viable prospects) by leaking the info;
B) Protecting their image and making it seem like they're not being rejected
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #138
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to post this and then shut up and watch...but.

Sounds like Clemson may have removed their own hat from the ring tonight. Apparently Coach Swinney had a conversation with the father tonight, and explained to him the agreements and covenants he and Ray Ray had and what he expects of potential players. Not sure where the conversation went south but sounds like ultimately it ended with Dabo telling dad Ray Ray had 2 schools to pick from Monday because Clemson no longer had an offer on the table....

I hate this hardline stance he has taken more than once, but love the integrity behind it.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #139
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I hate this hardline stance he has taken more than once, but love the integrity behind it.

It certainly hasn't been hurting them overall in recruiting. If it's going to cost you a kid here and there, not much you can do about that.

Now only if they would beat Cocky, I would have nearly zero complaints about Dabo. He is approaching John Cooper territory... great recruiting, great teams, but nobody liked him because he never beat his rival ESPECIALLY with something important on the line.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Suspect in UGA dorm burglary is a 5-star recruiting prospect | www.ajc.com

Quote:
Darnell Salomon, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound wide receiver from Hollywood, Fla., has been identified as the suspect accused of entering the unlocked suite of two female students in Busbee Hall this past Saturday morning and stealing an iPhone5 and a wallet containing cash and credit cards. His name was listed on the UGA’s daily police activity log Wednesday morning.

Salomon’s coach at Champagnat Catholic School in Hialeah, Fla., said his player is innocent.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #141
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I can't leave this soap opera alone.

Kudos to the Mcloud camp for the best recruiting poker face in a decade.

I just deleted a bunch of stuff I had typed and will say this.
RRM has a commitable Clemson offer if he were to pick Clemson tonight at 6:30...dad has decided to let his son make his own decision...and no one knows what Ray ray wants
Old 07-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #142
Logan
Head Coach

So were all these recruiting sites fooled or what?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #143
MrBug708
Head Coach

247 says Clemson
Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #144
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
247 says Clemson

Bartow finally listened to me...
Old 07-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #145
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ray ray is a Tiger... for now.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #146
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't leave this soap opera alone.

Kudos to the Mcloud camp for the best recruiting poker face in a decade.

I just deleted a bunch of stuff I had typed and will say this.
RRM has a commitable Clemson offer if he were to pick Clemson tonight at 6:30...dad has decided to let his son make his own decision...and no one knows what Ray ray wants

So if Clemson pulled the offer, how is it back on the table?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #147
MrBug708
Head Coach

Just another day in the life of recruiting journalists who only know some of the stories. No offense to you CU Tiger but there always seems to be multiple angles on every kid and sometimes info works out and sometimes it doesnt.

Dont think that many UCLA guys had much hope he was coming here. There was a glimmer of hope when the Crystal Ball predictions started swaying towards UCLA, but the CB thing is pretty useless
Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #148
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Eagles coach Chip Kelly calls the draft the worst thing about the NFL - CBSSports.com

I thought about this thread here, and all the similar threads, while reading that and wondering how Kelly kept a straight face while he was making his comments during the interview...
Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #149
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They changed their minds? I know Sark did the same thing a number of times at the UW. Patrick Enewally had his offer pulled near the end of the 2013 recruiting cycle when he repeatedly failed to publicly commit as promised to the staff, only to circle back just before Signing Day and give him another chance.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #150
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'll expand on this point later today when I have a little more time.
But rrm always had a scholarship offer from Clemson.

What I posted here about him and ucla was NO WHERE else on the internet...

Ray Ray and Dabo spoke Saturday, while he was on UF campus for Friday Night Lights.

Btw Bug, I'm not employed in any fashion with any recruiting service and I sure as heck ain't a writer....I am good friends with the owner of one of Clemson's recruiting sites. After selling my company, I was bored and used some of my contacts to make calls and chase info for him. About a year ago, I took a full time gig back in the construction/engineering industry ...I still have friends who I talk to daily that eat sleep and breathe recruiting and still follow and remain a huge fan of Clemson. I was a college roommate of one of their coaches ..so I occasionally hear stuff...I started once in a while posting stuff here and a few folks have pm'd me and expressed appreciation for the info...so I share when I can. I knew we had a cluster of USC/ucla fans and I wanted to shut that one down before it grew legs. Sorry if it offended anyone.