Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #101
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Well Willie Korn is supposed to be the savior. All the recruiting services love him. But I watched him play 3 times this year (2 in person 1 on ESPN) and I dont see it.... then again maybe thats why I dont coach anymore...

I don't see it either. His arm strength and accuracy seemed average at best, and his foot speed seemed a bit less than what I expected from such a highly regarded recruit, especially one in that spread type of offense. But I guess we shall see.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #102
ctmason
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Cincinatti Hired Brian Kelly away from Central Michigan days after he won the MAC title. Before CMU, kelly won 2 national titles at Grand Valley State.

Not a heck of a lot of attention on this hire but this guy Kelly is a fantastic coach and runs a great football program. Look for him to hit the jackpot at a much higher profile school in 3-4 more years.

Then again, if Cincy can pull a Rutgers and pay as much as the big boys, why would he ever leave?
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #103
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Let's see... 7-5 = .583... 8-4 = .667.

So, ok, they may go 7-5 some years, and 8-4 others.

Football is not played in a vacuum. My point here is that O'Brien did quite a bit better than most of the coaches that preceded him at B.C., including a guy (Tom Coughlin) that's had some success as an NFL Head Coach. In other words, give the situation, he's done as well as anyone has there.

I don't think he's the next Tom Osborne or Bobby Bowden, but he's a good hire.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #104
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
erickson has a nasty tendency of leaving his schools on probation when he jumps to the next coaching position. ASU could have done better.
Let's see - Erickson has had 6 different college coaching gigs, and exactly 1 of those schools has ended up on probation. And that probation was not due to anything Erickson did.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #105
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
He did a nice job with great players from Jimmy Johnson and Mike Riley. And he was smart enough to bolt when the cupboard was bare at one spot (OSU) and facing probation at another (Miami).

He's a solid football mind, but the jury's out on whether he can rebuild a program.
Not a fair characterization - Erickson's '91 title team was his 3rd year at Miami, so the majority of that roster was Erickson recruits. He went 11-1 the following year when only 5th year guys weren't his recruits.

Oregon State hadn't had a winning record in 28 straight seasons prior to Erickson's arrival. Since then, they've only had 2 losing seasons in 8 total. And Erickson's biggest success at OSU happened in his 2nd year, a team that featured a large number of Juco transfers recruited by Erickson. Given how bad OSU was before he got there (and yes, Riley did have them trending in the right direction) I find it difficult to swallow the argument that he wasn't a big part of turning that program around from a perennial national laughingstock into a perennial bowl contender. The cupboard was hardly "bare" considering the Beavers went 8-5 and 7-5 following Ericson's departure.

Erickson is a winner. The worst you can say about him is that:

a) He has a history of bolting for better jobs;
b) He had a DUI;
c) His teams have a tendency to be undisciplined;
d) He was an average NFL Head Coach

I doubt that Erickson will be switching jobs any more. He's nearly 60, he's "failed" in 2 different NFL gigs and he's now at a BCS conference school with a good history, a fairly talented roster and a location that has a lot of recruiting advantages.

It's highly doubtful he'll get another NFL shot, so that possibility is out; and given his age and his current job, it's pretty unlikely that he'd bolt for another college gig. Firstly, there aren't many jobs that would be a better situation than ASU; secondly, given his age it's doubtful any of those schools would want to pry him away; and thirdly, if ASU is smart they'll build in a very large buyout clause into his contract to further discourage any other school from thinking about poaching him.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #106
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think ASU made a great hire on Erickson. He's a very underrated coach, mostly based on his NFL failures, but his time in San Fran was really unfair to him. He had some great talent when he took over the job, but a year later the front office dealt everyone away and I'm sure Erickson felt snookered.

He'll put ASU on a right track, I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #107
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
He did a nice job with great players from Jimmy Johnson and Mike Riley. And he was smart enough to bolt when the cupboard was bare at one spot (OSU) and facing probation at another (Miami).

He's a solid football mind, but the jury's out on whether he can rebuild a program.

he's not here to rebuild though, Koetter got this team to 4 of the last 5 years in postseason play pending the outcome of this years bowl winners of the last two (could be three we'll see). Erickson is here to elevate ASU to the upper tier of Pac-10 and BCS games not rebuild..it's not like Stoops at u of a where the team was winning 2-3 games a year.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #108
Klinglerware
College Starter

BC appears to be interested in Mark Whipple...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2694230
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #109
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
BC appears to be interested in Mark Whipple...
Don't squeeze the Charmin!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Well Willie Korn is supposed to be the savior. All the recruiting services love him. But I watched him play 3 times this year (2 in person 1 on ESPN) and I dont see it.... then again maybe thats why I dont coach anymore...

Or maybe you've got a decent eye after all
Willy Korn bolts Marshall to play QB at Div. II school - ESPN
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Former Clemson quarterback Willy Korn's attempt at playing at another Football Bowl Subdivision program was short-lived.

Korn is transferring to Division II North Greenville after an ill-fated try at making the roster at Marshall. North Greenville athletics spokesman Micah Sepko said Tuesday that Korn is registered for classes and is at the Tigerville, S.C., school's football facility.

Korn, who earned his undergraduate degree from Clemson in May, was hoping to compete for the starting job at Marshall, but coach Doc Holliday moved him to safety last week.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #111
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

touche....

Then again he was never the same after his shoulder surgeries....or so the Willie The Great believers would have us accept.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote