Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Helluva drive.

Indeed
Old 11-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #102
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Bloody hell. Torrey Smith may drop some balls, but that's pure speed.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #103
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Where was the Steelers pass rush tonight? I kept waiting for some pressure on that last drive and it never came.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #104
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Where was the Steelers pass rush tonight? I kept waiting for some pressure on that last drive and it never came.

Apparently it was sidelined along with Woodley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #105
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
How similar is it to hockey officiating where teams sort of feel out what the standard is, then play within those parameters going forward?

Yes and no. I only say no cause I understand rules in football WAY more than hockey. To this day I still have trouble picking out interference but I can pick a hold out very easy.

What I think would be great, and I do think it is somewhere on the NFL site, is for people to watch the training video the NFL sends out to the teams. Also, I think it'd be a good idea for them to show some holds or DPI to show the fans what is and what isn't each one.

The most difficult thing for me to get through to a coach/player/fan is to get them to step out of the situation and look at it as a person of no interest. Players/Fans/Coaches want their team to win so bad (or their most hated team to lose) that they see things differently.

I could go on and on about things like this...but I don't want to bore you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think they'd be better off having one official in the booth. They make the replay calls right away so we don't need a 5 minute break to look under the hood. They can also override personal foul calls.

Would that really be bad?

There are two replay officials in the booth that talk to the referee on the field as he is under the booth. They will guide the white hat and help him make the decision, but in the end it is the Referee's decision.

I highly doubt we ever get to the point with replay where we can challenge subjective calls. This is taught to us in college but the head of the CFO...they will always defend us when it comes to fouls concerning players safety. Maybe always is a harsh word, but they will give the refs the benefit of the doubt because they want the players protected. The aftermath with the fine/no fine is where replay comes into it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #106
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yes and no. I only say no cause I understand rules in football WAY more than hockey. To this day I still have trouble picking out interference but I can pick a hold out very easy.

What I think would be great, and I do think it is somewhere on the NFL site, is for people to watch the training video the NFL sends out to the teams. Also, I think it'd be a good idea for them to show some holds or DPI to show the fans what is and what isn't each one.

The most difficult thing for me to get through to a coach/player/fan is to get them to step out of the situation and look at it as a person of no interest. Players/Fans/Coaches want their team to win so bad (or their most hated team to lose) that they see things differently.

I could go on and on about things like this...but I don't want to bore you guys.

You and I have had this conversation outside of FOFC before, but I am just tiring of the NFL.

The fact that the team I am rooting for is in position to take advantage of the style that is now promoted - spread the field, throw into zone coverage - and I am less interested speaks volumes. The first thing I do on any pass play now is look for the flag. I honestly expect one each play.

To be honest, I think I expect MORE flags than there actually are, with how offense is promoted.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #107
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You and I have had this conversation outside of FOFC before, but I am just tiring of the NFL.

The fact that the team I am rooting for is in position to take advantage of the style that is now promoted - spread the field, throw into zone coverage - and I am less interested speaks volumes. The first thing I do on any pass play now is look for the flag. I honestly expect one each play.

To be honest, I think I expect MORE flags than there actually are, with how offense is promoted.

I know we hate giving the refs more decisions to make but I really wouldnt mind 2 different pass interference calls. One would be an "intentional type" where it was obvious the defender was beat and just trying to save his ass and award it like it is now. The other would be like the college rule where it would be 15 yards or spot of foul. Too many questionable PI calls are awarded big yardage in the NFL.

The other thing is the NFL rules committee should sit their asses down and figure out what a hold is so the refs can call it fairly. If "experts" claim there is holding on every play obviously something needs to be re-done.

Holding and PI are the two calls that just bug the hell out of me. They could call it or not call it on every play it seems. It turns into something random on what the ref feels like calling at that time.

Also, why if the defense gets called for PI the offense gets the ball at the spot of the foul however if the offense interferes they get a 15 yard penalty. If it was being called equal shouldnt the defense be awarded an interception when the offense interferes? Apparently the way it is called they assume the PI prevented the ball from being caught so for consistency is should work both ways.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #108
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've grown disconnected from the NFL for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of the ridiculous crackdown on "football hits," the pass interference calls, and even the incongruous "what constitutes a catch" rules. This whole "have to hold the ball through the end of the play" thing is ridiculous. That ball that Hines Ward got hit on was a catch. He caught it, took 2 steps, got hit landed on his back, got concussed (it appeared), and a guy hit him while he was down,securing the ball, and it came loose and that's not a catch. Wrong answer. Not wrong by the rule, but wrong by common sense. That was a catch.

Just like incidental helmet contact on a clean hit to the upper body is not a penalty. Common sense says that the offensive player is just as much at fault for lowering his body and head aniticipating contact as the defensive player is for leading with his head and not trying, I guess, to hit lower. The offensive player always has the advantage because he knows where he's going right? Isn't that what we always hear when talking about route running on wet/icy surfaces? So why does the defensive player get penalized when the guy in control of the ball, and thus the object of the hit, decides to shrink himself bracing for a hit to the midsection that suddenly becomes a hit to the shoulders with some helmet-on-helmet contact? It is non-sensical.

And then there's the NFL rules on replay, which I hate, because the point of replay is to get calls right, not make it a game or strategy point for coaches. I'd rather they just do away with replay altogether in the NFL if they won't implement the college rule. Replay is not for challenges, it's to get the damn play called right.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #109
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know we hate giving the refs more decisions to make but I really wouldnt mind 2 different pass interference calls. One would be an "intentional type" where it was obvious the defender was beat and just trying to save his ass and award it like it is now. The other would be like the college rule where it would be 15 yards or spot of foul. Too many questionable PI calls are awarded big yardage in the NFL.

The other thing is the NFL rules committee should sit their asses down and figure out what a hold is so the refs can call it fairly. If "experts" claim there is holding on every play obviously something needs to be re-done.

Holding and PI are the two calls that just bug the hell out of me. They could call it or not call it on every play it seems. It turns into something random on what the ref feels like calling at that time.

Also, why if the defense gets called for PI the offense gets the ball at the spot of the foul however if the offense interferes they get a 15 yard penalty. If it was being called equal shouldnt the defense be awarded an interception when the offense interferes? Apparently the way it is called they assume the PI prevented the ball from being caught so for consistency is should work both ways.

Remember the NHL coming out of the lockout where games consistently featured 20 PPs? Not that I enjoyed watching that, but eventually players adjusted (Slightly, anyway, until officiating regressed, but that's an entirely different topic). I bet if there were 20 holding calls in a game, players would stop.

Watching replays they were showing last night, each time they showed Starks on Suggs, Starks was square to Suggs, hands punching to Suggs' chest. Each time they showed a replay of McKinnie on Harrison, McKinnie had his arm hooked either around Harrison's neck or under his arm.

I'm not naive enough to believe Starks didn't do that at all, or that McKinnie didn't play with fine technique on some plays. But how those plays can both be viewed as close enough that there is no flag?

Sak mentions all the time it's 7 different officials who see things 7 different ways. But when it's the same official who can't be consistent in his own calls, that's what is confusing to me.

Or, as you suggest, tweak the rule(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've grown disconnected from the NFL for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of the ridiculous crackdown on "football hits," the pass interference calls, and even the incongruous "what constitutes a catch" rules. This whole "have to hold the ball through the end of the play" thing is ridiculous. That ball that Hines Ward got hit on was a catch. He caught it, took 2 steps, got hit landed on his back, got concussed (it appeared), and a guy hit him while he was down,securing the ball, and it came loose and that's not a catch. Wrong answer. Not wrong by the rule, but wrong by common sense. That was a catch.

Just like incidental helmet contact on a clean hit to the upper body is not a penalty. Common sense says that the offensive player is just as much at fault for lowering his body and head aniticipating contact as the defensive player is for leading with his head and not trying, I guess, to hit lower. The offensive player always has the advantage because he knows where he's going right? Isn't that what we always hear when talking about route running on wet/icy surfaces? So why does the defensive player get penalized when the guy in control of the ball, and thus the object of the hit, decides to shrink himself bracing for a hit to the midsection that suddenly becomes a hit to the shoulders with some helmet-on-helmet contact? It is non-sensical.

And then there's the NFL rules on replay, which I hate, because the point of replay is to get calls right, not make it a game or strategy point for coaches. I'd rather they just do away with replay altogether in the NFL if they won't implement the college rule. Replay is not for challenges, it's to get the damn play called right.

Same as the call later confirmed as a catch to the Baltimore TE. The ball is rolling as he hits the ground, and later makes contact with the ground. How that's deemed control...no idea.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #110
SunDevil
College Prospect

I have enjoyed College Football much more than the NFL for a number of years. Not many NFL games this year have had me rethink this.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #111
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

PING Lathum

Eli Manning cemented his clutch reputation with Giants win over Patriots - Peter King - SI.com

Quote:
Quote of the Week I

"You can't spell 'elite' without Eli.''
-- Giants defensive lineman Justin Tuck, after the hero of the hour in Foxboro beat the Patriots with an all-timer of a winning drive.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #112
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Rams have 13 the hard way: 3 field goals, 2 safeties.

Eli Manning cemented his clutch reputation with Giants win over Patriots - Peter King - SI.com

Quote:
Son of Factoid of the Week, Straight from the Elias Sports Bureau

When the Rams scored four points in the third quarter Sunday, it was the first four-point quarter in the NFL's 92-year history.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #113
gstelmack
Pro Starter

One other interesting officiating trend that came up in the Pats / Giants game that is becoming a problem: the playclock not resetting on a stoppage of play (injuries, etc), leading to bad delay-of-game calls against offenses.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #114
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good one Philip Rivers, way to hand the game to the Packers. Norv, you should be embarrassed and ashamed...how can you play the Chiefs like they are sort of defensive juggernaut and then they lose to the Dolphins big time??? Again, proof that Norv Turner coaches down to the level of the opponent they are playing. Maybe if you prepped your team to play every team as if they were undefeated, you will win the games you're supposed to.

Oh and Philip, it's the guys with the lightning bolts on their helmets. That's who you throw it to.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 11-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #115
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Yeah, that was a great quote. The fact he did it without Nicks and Bradshaw, plus his starting center out makes it even bigger. He is having a really solid year, keeping the turnovers down has been a huge bonus. Second half stretch is brutal but the way they played yesterday gives me hope
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #116
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Holding and PI are the two calls that just bug the hell out of me. They could call it or not call it on every play it seems. It turns into something random on what the ref feels like calling

I don't want to get on my soap box, but I can explain some of this. I officiated for 5 years before I knew what a hold actually was. I still struggle with it. If you are all interested I could set something up with a conference call or podcast, because I am not the most articulate when I write and this is something better served with me talking.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #117
bhlloy
Coordinator

I wouldn't want to bring in another judgement call so I'd be fine with the PI call only being 15 yards like in college. If you can tackle the end on every play so he can't kill your qb and that is only 10 yards and you can wrestle a rb to the ground by the facemask who would otherwise be in the clear and that is only 15 yards, I don't see why PI is so different. Just another rule to artificially produce offense and as somebody mentioned above it doesn't go both ways.

The ref in the steelers game was incredibly lucky that was a TD otherwise we'd have had another game decided on a ticky tack PI call and all hell would be breaking loose
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #118
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Not a bad start at all for Da Bears. Until Gould just booted that out of bounds.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #119
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Curious to see who wins the game. If Philly loses, they are basically done. Two games back in terms of a wildcard and they would need to go 7-1 just to be 10-6. Considering their run defense, odds are they aren't doing that. Bears win and get the Lions at home next week so they could be in the thick of things for a wild card as well. Bears lose and they might find themselves out of it soon enough.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #120
cuervo72
Head Coach

Right after I told myself "ok, no interception." Of course.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #121
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Seriously? 2nd and 16, 3rd and 14...you call a wildcat run (which in Bears history, no wildcat play has gone for anything, ever), and a draw? With Cutler throwing very well?

Hookay, Martz.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #122
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

...Interesting end to the half here.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #123
bhlloy
Coordinator

How can you defend that call? The ref is 5 feet away looking straight at it and still misses the push. All the back judges in the world isn't going to make up for a shitty call like that
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Miracle cover on the first half over 24
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #127
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Jay Cutler is pretty damn good. If he had an offensive line, he would be better.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #128
Dutch
"Dutch"

And Walter Payton's Bears scoring record falls to the kicker, Gould. That's just wrong.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #129
cuervo72
Head Coach

Midfield? Not a good way to respond to the CHI FG.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #130
cuervo72
Head Coach

This defense effing blows.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #131
hoopsguy
General Manager

Man, that was an impressive nine yard run for Forte.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #132
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wanted...

One pro football team that isn't a bunch of overpaid and heartless divas.

One football coach that doesn't get out-coached every 4th quarter.

One QB that isn't the most over-rated QB in the league.

One star receiver that actually cares about the game.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That couldn't have worked out much better for me.
1) The Vickles lost.
2) Forte was held to 10 fantasy points (ESPN standard), giving me an unlikely win & pushing me into 1st place in my division.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #134
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wanted...

One football coach that doesn't get out-coached every 4th quarter.

We'll trade you for our coach. He gets out coached the entire game.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #135
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Adrian Peterson

A bit off topic but something worth discussing I think.

Chris Johnson this year has really started making me wonder if running backs can really go in slumps. I always kind of assumed that if a great running back was having a bad year it was probably because the offense line sucks and the defense is stacking the run.

The thing I find intersting is AP from the above link. He is a max effort guy so dogging it isnt going to be in the equation for him. The thing I notice is that it appears he had a couple years where he struggled a bit as well(23rd DVOA).

So I wonder if a slump for a running back is misreading holes? Not having confidence in your line creating a hole?

The speed, agility, and power shouldnt really go in slumps so I find it interesting that a running back could "slump" like Johnson is this year.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-08-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #136
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
We'll trade you for our coach. He gets out coached the entire game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #137
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

pats cut haynesworth. ochocinco, you're on the clock.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #138
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Adrian Peterson

A bit off topic but something worth discussing I think.

Chris Johnson this year has really started making me wonder if running backs can really go in slumps. I always kind of assumed that if a great running back was having a bad year it was probably because the offense line sucks and the defense is stacking the run.

The thing I find intersting is AP from the above link. He is a max effort guy so dogging it isnt going to be in the equation for him. The thing I notice is that it appears he had a couple years where he struggled a bit as well(23rd DVOA).

So I wonder if a slump for a running back is misreading holes? Not having confidence in your line creating a hole?

The speed, agility, and power shouldnt really go in slumps so I find it interesting that a running back could "slump" like Johnson is this year.
I don't think those numbers from Peterson show much variation at all... his success rate has been 45-46% every year, and this year's increase in VOA/DVOA seems mostly tied to his comparatively low number of fumbles.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #139
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Big win for the Bears. Now have the tiebreaker on Philly, Atlanta, and Tampa for a wild card. Think we have a shot to beat Detroit at home on Sunday too. The offensive line has gotten much better.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #140
JediKooter
Coordinator

The case against Norv Turner:

In his entire head coaching career, he has 25 wins against an opponent that has a winning record, at the time they play each other. Out of his 72 wins as the Chargers' head coach. He's only won 12 games against teams with a winning record. That kind of stat will get you nowhere near a Super Bowl win, let alone, play in one.

EDIT: Crap. Screwed up my counting...recalculating....

I missed 4. So 16 games out of 72 have been wins against teams with a winning record, since he's been the Chargers' head coach.

Last edited by JediKooter : 11-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.