Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #101
Ryan S
Quarterback

Celtic have always been hopeless away from home, it will be interesting to see if they do better in the second leg. A few years back Celtic lost the away leg of a Champions League qualifier 5-0 and won the home leg 4-0.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #102
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Macheda with two already. Wonder how much PT he'll get this season.

Last edited by Big Fo : 07-28-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #103
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Code:
Man Utd 5-2 MLS All-Stars Macheda x2 Ching Gibson DeRosario Cleverly el Chicharito

Some of the goals were pretty nice and I think el Chicharito could turn out to be a good signing, I liked what I saw of him at the World Cup and his run and finish tonight were both quite good.

The All-Star team got off to a terrible start, a lazy pass from a defender set Macheda up for a 1v1 and he finished it well. They had some nice moments (DeRosario abused Wes Brown before beating VDS with a nice shot) but it wasn't hard to tell that they have never played a game together.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #104
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The MLS All-Star game was fantastic, both my daughter and I loved it. MLS had a horrible start, much to the joy of half (at least) of the crowd. Defense was asleep and getting burned, Ricketts hardly moved on the second goal and in person it really was baffling as to what froze him but something did. The MLS side played much better in the second half and it was a very fun game to watch. Once Ching, Davis, De Rosario, and Donovan got in there was a different feel probably because of the experience of playing together (three on the Dynamo and Ching/Donovan together for the US). Anyways, I will be surprised if I ever attend a soccer game with that atmosphere again any time soon. Was beyond great really. I will end this with a few pictures (out of 100 plus)....

ManU warming up...or dance class?

Ching's goal, just a fraction of a second too late on my part

Sir Alex Furgeson right befor ManU's 4th or 5th goal, not sure which one.

Donovan and Brad Davis, let the rumors fly....
Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 AM   #105
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Code:
Man Utd 5-2 MLS All-Stars Macheda x2 Ching Gibson DeRosario Cleverly el Chicharito

Some of the goals were pretty nice and I think el Chicharito could turn out to be a good signing, I liked what I saw of him at the World Cup and his run and finish tonight were both quite good.

I like what I saw at the World Cup too. His movement was good and he seemed to have a nose for space around and in the box we haven't had at Utd since van Nistelrooy. He does seem at the moment a little lightweight but I guess he's still has time to bulk up a little if that proves necessary.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #106
whomario
Pro Starter

UEFA at least trying to put an end to the big money madness in soccer : Champions League - Clubs will have to break-even - Yahoo! Eurosport

edit : Just realized it isn´t a new article ... In my defense : I was on holiday at the time
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-29-2010 at 05:45 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #107
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

We have a twat reffing the City-Inter game ...
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #108
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Coutinho is gonna be something special.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #109
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

That was a nice goal
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #110
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Inter should be all warm and ready to dive and protest once their regular campaign starts. Materazzi and Pandev - what a bunch of pricks. Who does that shit during a friendly?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #111
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Inter should be all warm and ready to dive and protest once their regular campaign starts. Materazzi and Pandev - what a bunch of pricks. Who does that shit during a friendly?

It's ok. We're sending our biggest diver and whiner to Man City.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #112
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #113
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
This is brutal. lol

""
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #114
Blade6119
Coordinator

USA U-20s just won the Milk Cup in Northern Ireland, a pretty prestigious tournament for club youth teams. I dont know if the international division is as well thought of, but still nice.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #115
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Mixed feelings about the possibility of Liverpool outspending Man City and Chelsea. Better than the Hicks, and I guess this is just the way its all going, but there's something soulless about it all.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 08-03-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #116
MrBug708
Head Coach

Clint Mathis is retiring, not that he has been relevant for a while
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #117
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Mixed feelings about the possibility of Liverpool outspending Man City and Chelsea. Better than the Hicks, and I guess this is just the way its all going, but there's something soulless about it all.

Is this Huang fellow that loaded? Haven't paid too much attention to Liverpool recently.

It sucks for us Spurs fans. We finally break into the top four but now have to compete with City spending stupid money and perhaps even Liverpool spending stupid money.

Tottenham may spend a good deal (usually, not last year though and certainly not this summer so far) but at least we do it within our means.

Of course, Spurs have some of the highest ticket prices in the Premier League and Levy sucks every penny he can get out of transfers and sponsors (and fans.) Still, it's a lot better than if Joe Lewis (Levy's boss) decided to just go spending money like crazy (he was the wealthiest owner in the league before Roman came, iirc).

Oh well, I didn't choose Spurs for the glory anyway, lol. I would have been very disappointed if I had.

I'll just do like I do with Notre Dame. Get excited when we look to back in business and then mumble dejectedly when I see it was yet another false dawn.

More fun than winning trophies anyway...yeah, way more fun...
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #118
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

huh, no shit. the red bulls just signed rafa marquez. i think i'm officially a red bulls fan now.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #119
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
huh, no shit. the red bulls just signed rafa marquez. i think i'm officially a red bulls fan now.

it'd be nice if MLS did a better job of trying to distribute those signings out so it wasn't NYC+LA signing all of the "name" players from overseas.

I mean sure they're in their mid 30's and in decline...but still.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #120
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it'd be nice if MLS did a better job of trying to distribute those signings out so it wasn't NYC+LA signing all of the "name" players from overseas.

it's the new 3rd exception rule. most teams aren't even using their second exception. ny+la just happen to have the glam and the cash to sign these guys.

i think it's a great move for a lot of different reasons. kudos to ny for going after a defender and not another big name attacking player.

shame houston or dallas didn't go after him. be a great draw for them.

and at 32 he's probably got 6-7 years of high level left in him.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #121
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
it's the new 3rd exception rule. most teams aren't even using their second exception. ny+la just happen to have the glam and the cash to sign these guys.

i think it's a great move for a lot of different reasons. kudos to ny for going after a defender and not another big name attacking player.

maybe 3
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #122
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

well, he signed a 3 1/2 (1/2?) year contract so you're probably right.

i'm still stoked. i love angel, henry and marquez. the red bulls are the only team i can watch (msg) so it works out.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #123
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Climb aboard the bandwagon folks - plenty of room!

Shit, i loved this team when it was dave van den bergh and clint mathis doing the work out there. but Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez works for me too.... not to mention Henry's arrival seems to have jolted Juan Pablo Angel back to his form of a few years ago.

I'm dreaming of an MLS Cup this year.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #124
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Well, Chicago now has Nery Castillo and Freddie Ljungberg. Seattle brought in a couple good signings as DPs though they aren't names (Blaise Nkufo, was just on Switzerland natl team... and Alvaro Fernandez, 24 year old dude from Uruguyuan national team).

And Kansas City is, by all reports, adding Omar Bravo... though Chivas Guadalajara making the Copa Lib. final might have delayed that until the start of next year.

Houston and Dallas were both burned pretty hard with their first attempted DPs. DC United have just picked lame ones.

Things are generally looking very up in MLS. The DP rule is a good one.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #125
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. Guess I'm just irritated that the Revs don't seem to do anything with theirs.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #126
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Yeah. Guess I'm just irritated that the Revs don't seem to do anything with theirs.

Kraft has no interest in spending any money on that team - at all.

You've gotten by for quite a while on great coaching and drafting... but if you do little to nothing in free agency (even though MLS doesn't really have free agency).... eventually you're going to have down years.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #127
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

AEG needs to spend some of the LA money in Houston. City-wise no it's not the same "glam", but recent success sure is better (present year not included). Oh well.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #128
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
AEG needs to spend some of the LA money in Houston. City-wise no it's not the same "glam", but recent success sure is better (present year not included). Oh well.

Last year, too. Remember the Galaxy were in the MLS Cup last season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Kraft has no interest in spending any money on that team - at all.

You've gotten by for quite a while on great coaching and drafting... but if you do little to nothing in free agency (even though MLS doesn't really have free agency).... eventually you're going to have down years.

Yep.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-04-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #130
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Worst PK miss ever:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #131
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

USA squad for the friendly against Brazil on Tuesday:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)

FORWARDS (3): Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Pachuca)

Of the 18, 14 were on the World Cup roster and everyone but Jones has been capped and was part of the 30 man provisional WC squad. If Jones starts he won't find it too hard to look better than guy who started alongside Bradley in our last game

Brazil's squad will see more new faces, I am happy to see Rafael get his first call up. The squad:

Goalkeepers: Victor (Gremio), Renan (Avai), Jefferson (Botafogo)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Rafael (Manchester United), Andre Santos (Fenerbahce), Marcelo (Real Madrid), David Luiz (Benfica), Henrique (Racing), Rever (Atletico-MG), Thiago Silva (Milan)

Midfielders: Sandro (Internacional), Ramires (Benfica), Lucas (Liverpool), Jucilei (Corinthians), Ganso (Santos), Ederson (Lyon), Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim)

Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Diego Tardelli (Atletico-MG), Alexandre Pato (Milan), Andre (Santos), Neymar (Santos)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #132
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

that faggot robinho's loan expires today. won't be a santos player by next tuesday!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #133
Icy
Pro Starter

EA announced today that the new FIFA11 cover player will be... Kaka!

And today R.Madrid has said that Kaka has broken his knee and will need surgery, 2 to 3 months away from competitions, the EA cover curse is back.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
EA announced today that the new FIFA11 cover player will be... Kaka!

And today R.Madrid has said that Kaka has broken his knee and will need surgery, 2 to 3 months away from competitions, the EA cover curse is back.

seriously?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #135
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
seriously?

Yup:

Kaká leaves Real Madrid training camp to have surgery on knee injury | Football | guardian.co.uk

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #136
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
Is this Huang fellow that loaded? Haven't paid too much attention to Liverpool recently.

He supposedly has the backing of the Chinese government, so I'm not sure how much more loaded one could be.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #137
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Rooney will appear with Kaka on the English version of FIFA 11 and he hasn't been injured though he been criticized for pissing in the street and smoking a cigarette.

For the North American version I hope Donovan and/or Chicharito are on there with Kaka.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #138
miami_fan
Coordinator

Marshall and Jones are out of the friendly against Brazil. Jozy and Omar Gonzalez are in.

Am I the only one who does not want an international break so close to the end of the World Cup? I know many of these teams are going right into qualifications for the various continental tournaments but this break seems forced to me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #139
PraetorianX
High School JV

So close to the end of the World Cup?

What about the start of many European seasons! Stupid to have it so soon before the season starts, and right after the WC.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #140
MrBug708
Head Coach

Galaxy are clearing space off of their roster
Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Galaxy are clearing space off of their roster

Are you hearing something?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #142
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, the popular rumor is Ronaldinho, but I dont think he's quite ready. It would be nice if the Galaxy could sell off Beckham and get some useful pieces
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #143
whomario
Pro Starter

Jones not injured btw, simply doesn´t want to miss any time with his club as he´s fighting for a place in the first 11 after being injured almost all of last year. (if he doesn´t play with Schalke he won´t help the US much, so a decicion that shouldn´t be met with hard feelings)
Wonder why the heck the Coach doesn´t simply check with him first before nominating him ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Marshall and Jones are out of the friendly against Brazil. Jozy and Omar Gonzalez are in.

Am I the only one who does not want an international break so close to the end of the World Cup? I know many of these teams are going right into qualifications for the various continental tournaments but this break seems forced to me.

no, you aren´t. Basically everbody including the NT coaches feels that way. Not even they see this as a tune-up game for the qualifiers but as a pain in the ass and a risk for injury and/or bad form for the players coming just back from their holidays and having to go away from their clubs in a crucial stage of the season-preperation.
And that preperatiion is very short anyway this year, at least for some of the major clubs. Bayern Munich f.e. got their NT players from Holland (2) and Germany (8) back only 3 days ago, the first cup match is next week ! Heck, most of their friendlies they had to play players from their reserve team (more precicely : Backups from the reserve team as the 3rd division allready started 2 weeks ago), even had to play the fitness coach (he´s brasilian though, so that´s only fair )

German NT Coach f.e. now nominated a total of 8 players from the WC roster for next weeks friendly, other than the GK Neuer (who desperately wanted to come and is a soccer-nutt anyway, the guy played in a friendly against Bayern last weekend after arriving from his holiday just hours earlier) only reserves that can use the matchtime.
Also made a point of not nominating multiple guys from the same club so as not to screw with their preperation too much.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-06-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #144
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Champions League Playoff Round was drawn today, 10 spots in the group stages await the winners of the following:

Dynamo Kiev v Ajax

Zenit St Petersburg v Auxerre

Werder Bremen v Sampdoria

Braga v Sevilla

Young Boys v TOTTENHAM

FK Partizan v Anderlecht

Sparta Prague v MSK Zilina

Basel v FC Sheriff

Rosenborg v Copenhagen

Salzburg v Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Couple really tough games there (Werder Bremen/Sampdoria, Zenit/Auxerre, and Kiev/Ajax). Tottenham look to have an easy route to the Group Stage

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-06-2010 at 05:46 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #145
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If Tottenham can't handle Young Boys, with the 2nd leg at White Hart Lane.... I will cry. Great draw.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #146
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Alright, cupcake draw for FC Utrecht!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #147
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Basel v FC Sheriff
Salzburg v Hapoel Tel-Aviv
You got to love these two pairings compared to the rest. At the same time it does make sure there will be a couple more champions in the champions' league.

Btw, what's UEFA's annoying stuff in not wanting to call Red Bull Salzburg by their name? I understand it's the commercial stuff and all, but you're basically denying some club it's own identity.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #148
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
German NT Coach f.e. now nominated a total of 8 players from the WC roster for next weeks friendly, other than the GK Neuer (who desperately wanted to come and is a soccer-nutt anyway, the guy played in a friendly against Bayern last weekend after arriving from his holiday just hours earlier) only reserves that can use the matchtime.
Also made a point of not nominating multiple guys from the same club so as not to screw with their preperation too much.
What a rookie. We're actually sending our third-tier guys for a friendly in the Ukraine.
Only our #2 goalkeeper from the World Cup got picked. And ironically Michel Vorm is the one player that already had to miss a couple of Europa League games due to the World Cup.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-06-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #149
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Well, the popular rumor is Ronaldinho, but I dont think he's quite ready. It would be nice if the Galaxy could sell off Beckham and get some useful pieces
it got brought up at least 3 times in the gotw last night. speaking of, did anyone else catch it? philly guys struck the crew logo pose after a penalty. good stuff.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #150
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
What a rookie. We're actually sending our third-tier guys for a friendly in the Ukraine.
Only our #2 goalkeeper from the World Cup got picked. And ironically Michel Vorm is the one player that already had to miss a couple of Europa League games due to the World Cup.

What´s the Roster for you guys ? Are you taking U21 guys or "real" 3rd tier players ? (since your U21 "only" have to play Liechtenstein)
German team has the disadvantage that the U21 has a must-win game in Iceland the day before. While Iceland aren´t world beaters, games there are allways tough (and they have gotten 13 points of 6 matches including a draw in Germany)

Last edited by whomario : 08-06-2010 at 08:44 AM.