Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #101
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, that was a spectacular flameout. I knew she wasn't going far, but I didn't think she'd go out that easily.

She wasn't any worse than others that have been in the top 10, heck top 6, in previuos seasons, she was beyond the pale hot in my opinon. There was just something eye-catching about her that gave her an opportunity to really be special, but she this may have short-circiuted it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So Nigel had a press conference/call today and he confirmed that 60 people go to Vegas, 20 were cut, last night they filmed the "Green Mile" episode, and (this is where the rumors start since he wouldn't confirm) there apparently will be a top 24, with the first week's theme being Songs from the Contestants' Musical Idols. Song had to be picked last night. So, I'm sure there will be a ton of spoilers in the next few days about how is in the top 24 and what songs they'll be singing in the first week.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #103
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That group that kicked out that one kid is not going to be voted for by people.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #104
Ksyrup

Eh, I t hink the only one who would get shit for it is Junebug (the dork who wears all the stupid glasses). The one chick was upset about it at the time it happened and just didn't have a strong enough personality to stop it, the country guy came off as sympathetic after the fact, and I don't even remember the other person. Junebug not only was the one whose idea it appeared to be, but he kinda laughed about it when the judges brought it up. He'd take the shit from fans.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #105
GrantDawg

Quote:
Eh, I t hink the only one who would get shit for it is Junebug (the dork who wears all the stupid glasses). The one chick was upset about it at the time it happened and just didn't have a strong enough personality to stop it, the country guy came off as sympathetic after the fact, and I don't even remember the other person. Junebug not only was the one whose idea it appeared to be, but he kinda laughed about it when the judges brought it up. He'd take the shit from fans.

This.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #106
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

LOL! Ksyrup that's awesome! Where'd you come up with the name junebug?? LOL I'd have to agree with you., I don't remember anyone else but him.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #107
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I cannot believe that stupid blonde gave up any serious chance she had at going further on the show to work with that fatass Jersey bitch. I mean, I know these people are mostly really young, but at some point you have to take a step back and see the big picture while this is happening. There's been enough seasons of this show to understand the game. And pretty much everyone knew that working with the Queen Bitch was an almost instant ticket home. She had no shot of moving on. Why would you give up a group to work with her? If that was my kid, I would hafve slapped her silly after the show.

You are assuming that blond was any good at all herself. And she wasn't. She was terrible. Worse than the Jersey chick actually. THe thing is I expected the two of them to TOTALLY Diva Out and just kill the song! (in a good way). You know, like Frenchie Davis and Kimberly Locke did Season 2 with "Band of Gold". They had the right attitude. Just couldn't hit the notes.

I've sung for years and one thing's for sure. You sound like shit when you haven't slept. ANd you can't remember things like words.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #108
Ksyrup

Junebug is that dude's nickname. His middle name is Jun.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #109
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

LOL Oh I see now. I thought you made that up.

Anyone else think the final room was bogus. It had hyper blond surfer dude (who tanked on his final performance), the "I quit" girl (also tanked), the low singin cowboy that low sings the same song all the time (forgot his words and just screwed up). Why did they put them through? Based on prior stuff cause that's not what thy're supposed to do yet. That comes next with the green mile show. just sayin
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #110
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
LOL Oh I see now. I thought you made that up.

Anyone else think the final room was bogus. It had hyper blond surfer dude (who tanked on his final performance), the "I quit" girl (also tanked), the low singin cowboy that low sings the same song all the time (forgot his words and just screwed up). Why did they put them through? Based on prior stuff cause that's not what thy're supposed to do yet. That comes next with the green mile show. just sayin

It isn't the first time at all that they have done that. As tough even Simon was on the people who forgot their lyrics and such, they put people through that messed up this point before based on what they (or more likely the producers) thought of them. I was just surprised they cut my red-haired girl of the four-some partners. I thought she was very good, and quite cute.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #111
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Not really impressed by the talent of the show so far despite the constant hype that "its the best talent in 10 years!".

Did anyone think those kids (with their moms) were preparing for this event since they were tiny tots? Kinda freaky.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #112
kurtism
High School Varsity

Tangential, but Paul F. Tompkins' recaps are absolute must-reads.

American Idol -- TV Episode Recaps & News
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #113
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Not really impressed by the talent of the show so far despite the constant hype that "its the best talent in 10 years!".

They say that every year.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #114
Ksyrup

Last-minute changes to the show schedule. Apparently the Las Vegas/Beatles episode is only going to be 1 hour tomorrow instead of 2, and the "Green Mile" episode is also being cut back to 1 hour on Thursday, so that they can stretch it out for 2 additional hours into next week, too! JLo breaks down while cutting one of the contestants, so apparently that's where Thursday will end. And then they'll stretch the rest of the show out for 2 more episodes next week, instead of starting the live show next week..

EDIT: I was wrong - the semifinal performances are taped this Friday and next Monday, so when they air is irrelevant to the contestants' preparation. Apparently they will be cutting from 24 to 10 in one week and adding back a few wild cards at the same time.

Also, these arern't really spoilers but interesting bits of info that I'm almost certain the show never hinted at - Casey (upright bass man) and Julie (from Columbia) were prom dates, and Pia, Rachel and Karen all graduated from the same high school class.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-22-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #115
Ksyrup

I guess I misunderstood - they are cramming 1 hour of Beatles and 3 hours of Green Mile into today and tomorrow. So it's 4 hours, and then performances start next week (taped Friday and Monday).

Oh, and here's a spoiler about something that happened today:

Spoiler
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #116
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post

Despite saying I wasn't going to watch, I've broken down and started to. Yes, I know.. I have no backbone or willpower. Eh.. what can you do when the sweet Siren song of Sanjaya lures you into the rocks.

I will give them credit, does seem like they are at least attempting to go with better singers over stories and/or quirky people. Medina would have been a shoe in last year for the top 5.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #117
Ksyrup

So I thought the Beatles/Vegas challenge was a brilliant idea by Nigel or whoever. basically, they ran it like a mini live show, complete with set changes, couch interviews, and judge feedback. It was obvious they did this to (a) get a feel for how each of the contestants handled the stage under faux-live show conditions, and - probably most importantly - (b) gave JLo and Steven Tyler an opportunity to get some practice/experience doing the judging thing in a situation that was very similar to what they will be going through on the live shows.

So, 2 hours of the rest of the Green Mile tonight (I miss the elevator ride) and then taped "live" shows of the top 12 guys on Tuesday for 2 hours, the top 12 girls on Wednesday for 2 hours, and then I assume a 1-hour top 10 reveal where they choose an unknown number of wild cards to add back in.

Apparently the Chris Medina vote-off was planned all along (not that he necessarily knew anything about it) because they are releasing - tonight - an original song written for him called What Are Words (I assume a not-so-subtle song about his relationshhip with his fiance) and then he'll perform it live on Jay Leno Friday night. And I bet all of this came together in the 7 or 8 days since he was eliminated. Uh...right.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-24-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #118
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a cynic. I don't think Lopez was really crying.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #119
Ksyrup

As bad an actress as she is, what really gave it away was Randy and Steven's lame attempts to act like what occurred was spontaneous.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #120
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Apparently the Chris Medina vote-off was planned all along (not that he necessarily knew anything about it) because they are releasing - tonight - an original song written for him called What Are Words (I assume a not-so-subtle song about his relationshhip with his fiance) and then he'll perform it live on Jay Leno Friday night. And I bet all of this came together in the 7 or 8 days since he was eliminated. Uh...right.

I know people eat this stuff up, but Idol still depends on buzz from the media. The more we know the on air tryouts are mostly fake, the less people report about the tryouts. I think they know the show is nearing its end and want to milk every last penny out of it.

Medina wasn't good enough - they probably constructed this story during the tryout phase. It's too bad they're willing to burn J-Lo on this, but I guess she's getting enough money that she doesn't mind playing along - or is so incapable of the judging part that she's glad to have some lines fed to her.

Oh, well, it's less intrusive than the blind guy who couldn't sing reaching the final seven.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #121
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Oh, well, it's less intrusive than the blind guy who couldn't sing reaching the final seven.

He got a nice consolation prize

Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #122
Ksyrup

Quote:
It's too bad they're willing to burn J-Lo on this, but I guess she's getting enough money that she doesn't mind playing along - or is so incapable of the judging part that she's glad to have some lines fed to her.

I'm sure she'll get over it...

Quote:
Jennifer Lopez World Premiere Video During Idol
Platinum-selling recording artist and American Idol judge Jennifer Lopez will world premiere the music video for her new hit single, “On The Floor (feat. Pitbull),” during American Idol Thursday, March 3 at 8/7c on FOX.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #123
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
He got a nice consolation prize

I want to post something inappropriate, but I'm paralyzed by (a) trying not to be insensitive and (b) having so many directions to go with it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #124
Ksyrup

Quote:
Medina wasn't good enough - they probably constructed this story during the tryout phase.

It's gotten to the point where you can easily determine the real contenders (a mix of talent, story, and demographic) from the drama/stories that prop up the show until the live shows start. Like the insane chick who got married last night - no reason she was kept so long other than they wanted her to cry and hoped for a few blow-ups/breakdowns along the way. Total fodder.

Or the jokester surfer-looking dude who performed like (and even looked a little like) Normund Gentle. Just along for the comic relief. He never had a shot, regardless of how far he made it.

But you're right - at least they aren't putting some of these sideshows into the voting competition, so that's progress, I guess.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #125
Ksyrup

Oh, and one other thing - online FB voting is official. They've hinted at online voting for a couple of months and the rumor about it being through FB has been floated for a week or two, but it's now official. I'm sure FB is loving it.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #126
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Thank god for dvr. I had to fast foward to the end when they cut Medina. I just felt uncomfortable watching Lopez crying and those two consoling her. I dunno.

I wonder if this year will be a repeat of last year. Was so disgusted with Lilly Scott's early departure last year I couldn't finish. The previous year if I recall it was the crap that was left around. For whatever reason I get a lot of enjoyment out of the Hollywood rounds but the actual live show just pisses me off.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #127
MJ4H
Coordinator

+1 on being disgusted with Lilly leaving.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #128
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's unfortunate that singers like Lilly don't have much chance of going very far in a vote-until-you-drop format.

I found myself looking forward to what she'd come up with each week. I can't say that about many contestants, even some very talented ones.

Unfortunately, it's exactly this type of anticipation we'll lose under the new format, which encourages singers to remain in a "safe" zone.

I also think we need someone like Simon to spur competitors to take chances. J-Lo is pretty much Paula Redux. Randy has his role - kind of the coach who gets the best out of his players. I'm not sure what Tyler is yet. I like him, but I'm thinking he's more looking for a metal band front man than an Idol, and that he's just going to stick with his favorites.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #129
Ksyrup

Interesting:

Quote:
There’s no room for secrets when appearing on a reality show — especially when it’s “American Idol.” Sophia Shorai had been doing well on the hit Fox series. But what some may not know is that the 28-year-old is the daughter of a famous former fugitive.

Shorai’s mother is Sara Jane Olson, otherwise known as former Symbionese Liberation Army member Kathleen Soliah. The Symbionese Liberation Army, a radical group, was best known for kidnapping Patty Hearst in 1974.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #130
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Speaking of Wednesday's Beatleshow, I have never heard a worse performance on this show than "Long and Winding Road".
I have never heard a better performance than "Something".
Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #131
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

You gotta love the good performance of the Harrison song!
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #132
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Speaking of Wednesday's Beatleshow, I have never heard a worse performance on this show than "Long and Winding Road".

Apparently you never heard Christy lee Cook's country version of 8 Days a Week.

And that's just in the Beatles category of worst performances ever.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #133
Ksyrup

On the plus side, I can't think of a single female in the top 24 that bothers me. More than a few are 'meh,' but none I actively hate. Thia Megia better lose the pageant thing, or she'll be the next Stephanie Edwards. Although, that seemed to work for Archie, so...

On the negative side, there are a few guys I'd like to punch in the throat and hope don't make it past next week.

Junebug - guy can sing, but I just don't like him. Haven't since his audition. I'm hoping the negative press he got for kicking Jacee out will bite him in the ass.

James Durbin - we don't need another Adam Lambert, especially one who can't control it as well as Adam did (and that's saying a lot). Sings in an 80s hard rock type band and brags about writing songs about whores, btw. I saw a couple of videos and its embarrassing. He's a good bet for some ridiculously entertaining performances, in a bad way. I'm kinda hoping he stays, just for that potential.

Jacob Lusk - this guy is all that is wrong with singers today. I appreciate the passion, but he looks and sounds like a clown when he sings. I thought the performance Randy called the best ever on Idol was horrendous. Better suited to evangelism than a pop music career, IMO. He's like some RuPaul/Tyler Perry character or something. Comes off as too much of an act for my taste, and ALWAYS over the top.

Squatty McCreery - as the only country singer, probably a mortal lock for the top 10. How do I hate him? Let me count the ways. I hate the way he squats when he sings, his stupid country act while performing, his one-dimensional, affected vocals, etc. He seems like a nice guy and everything, but unfortunately, he'll be doing more singing than interviewing on this show, and it's going to be hard for me to watch. His style makes me physically ill. I had to leave the room when they showed him sing last night. I'll take their word for it that the other country guy wasn't ready (since we didn't see enough to judge for ourselves), but this guy can't do anything else than parrot established country singers, as far as I can tell. Looks like a cross between Sherrif Woody and Alfred E. Neuman. Ugh.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-25-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #134
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Squatty McCreery

Ok, I had to Google this just to see if that was his actual name. And no, I'm not watching this show. One season was enough.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #135
Ksyrup

No, it's Scotty. I call him Squatty because he does the country singer squat while he sings.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #136
GrantDawg

I am really not going to like a jump from 24 to 13 in one week. There are several performers I want to see what they'll do over a few weeks that probably won't make that first cut. Here is hoping June-bug won't.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #137
Ksyrup

Yeah, I don't really get spending 3 hours highlighting every single one of the 24 and then cutting that group in half in 1 week. On one hand, I like that they are, in effect, trying to level the playing field a bit by giving them all at least a bit of face time. But still...you run the risk of people getting attached to one or two of them, and then suddenly they're gone before they really start.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-25-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #138
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

These wildcards.. are they going to be wildcards from the top 24 or can they bring anyone back they want?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #139
Ksyrup

Just the top 24, as far as I know. I don't think they have said exactly how many they will take, but the best guess is eaach judge will get to save one person.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #140
GrantDawg

Quote:
Just the top 24, as far as I know. I don't think they have said exactly how many they will take, but the best guess is eaach judge will get to save one person.

That is what I have seen. It will be 13 going on after next week.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #141
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Ok. I was starting to wonder if some people were cut just to see the reaction they get in twitterverse and then bring them back if the demand is there.

Not that Idol would ever do something like that.....
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #142
Ksyrup

Well, I was wondering why there was no update to this story. But here it is:

Casey Abrams update, and it’ not looking great for the Season 10 Top 24 contestant.

From TMZ:
Casey Abrams — who we know is one of the 24 finalists on “American Idol” — is still in the hospital and could end up dropping out of the competition today … TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story … Casey was rushed to the hospital Wednesday, complaining of severe stomach pains.

We’ve learned he’s still in the hospital and will receive a blood transfusion this morning.

For Casey to continue in the competition, he must participate in tonight’s taping of the top 12 males.

Sources connected with the show say it’s up to Casey to decide, but producers will let him rehearse with the band at 4:30 PM today if he’s able … and then tape the show.

It’s so touch and go, we’re told they’re discussing the possibility of Casey going to the taping and then returning to the hospital.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #143
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

LOL! Awesome review Ksyrup!

I so hate Scotty. Well not personally. But he was terrible all through hollywood week but got a freepass because of his gimmmicky low voice. Now there's being unique...and being a gimmick. His final performance I actually FINALLY heard him sing. Mind you that was the first time I heard him sing. BUt he has absolutely no versatility and will get creamed on Lady Gaga week and Usher week and opera week and croon week and showtune week. Maybe he will do well if it's nothing but country week and southern rock week and blues week and such. The real pity is the entire south will vote him to the top every single week no matter how bad he is. HEre comes another Sanjjaya.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #144
Ksyrup

Well, this year there are no "theme" weeks - or, at least, the themes are going to be so broad that the contestants should be able to find a song within their comfort zones. No more Barry Manilow week; it'll be decades themes or something along those lines. So that should help him.

Regarding Casey, thinking this through if he can't perform, I guess the judges could make him a wild card and at least buy him a week to recover...?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-25-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #145
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think they will and SHOULD bring Chris Medina back in if Casey cannot go. EIther that or J.C.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #146
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

What's this wildcard crap btw?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #147
Ksyrup

They've had it for a couple of years. They pick a top 10 and then add back a couple of people who got eliminated.

Last thing I read, Casey was well enough to perform. Spoilers for what the boys sang should be up tonight.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #148
wade moore
lolzcat

Different strokes I suppose.

I feel like this is one of the best 24 they've had in a LONG time, I like these judges a LOT more, and I like Scotty (although I am a country fan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #149
Ksyrup

LOL!

Spoiler
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #150
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Different strokes I suppose.

I feel like this is one of the best 24 they've had in a LONG time, I like these judges a LOT more, and I like Scotty (although I am a country fan).

Hey, I only called out 4 of them. Out of 24, that's not too bad!

Squatty is beyond awful, though. It's that style of singing that completely ruins any chance I'd want to listen to country music. I have to stick with bands like Nickel Creek, with vocals that don't sound like forced redneck acting. I don't mind the instrumentation at all, it's the vocals and lyrics that make country music mostly terrible.