Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #101
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Watched the first episode on demand on Saturday. It was not good. There was so many more interesting ways they could have gone about making the show. The way they chose was not good. It was like a slightly higher budget Syfy miniseries.

Damn. Not that I'm surprised that this is how the show turned out.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #102
Thomkal
Head Coach

In addition to Revolution, I'm intrigued by Last Resort on ABC-about a crew on a nuclear submarine defying orders to fire nuclear missiles and then have to seek sanctuary at a NATO base.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
In addition to Revolution, I'm intrigued by Last Resort on ABC-about a crew on a nuclear submarine defying orders to fire nuclear missiles and then have to seek sanctuary at a NATO base.

Those 2, Nashville and the Mindy Project. I checked out "The New Normal" and if it gets time, it could be a pretty good show.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Watched the first episode on demand on Saturday. It was not good. There was so many more interesting ways they could have gone about making the show. The way they chose was not good. It was like a slightly higher budget Syfy miniseries.

Damn. Hopefully it gets better.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #105
Easy Mac

Mild spoilers for Revolution, but its set 15 years in the future and seems to have an occasional flashback to basically set up who people are.

I'd prefer if they did it the other way, if that's even possible. We'd get to follow the people becoming who they are and maybe show a few flashforwards to who these people have become. I guess this way, they don't have to worry about utilizing kid actors, but the minimal flashbacks they showed had far more depth and characterization to them than anything that occurred in the present in the show.

Dollhouse did this greatly at the end of its first season, flashing forward a couple of years and showing us how the world became. The second (last) season caught up with a couple of episodes left. A show set 15 years in the future obviously makes it more difficult, but I think that would have made for a more interesting show.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd prefer if they did it the other way, if that's even possible. We'd get to follow the people becoming who they are and maybe show a few flashforwards to who these people have become. I guess this way, they don't have to worry about utilizing kid actors, .

A show set 15 years in the future obviously makes it more difficult, but I think that would have made for a more interesting show.

100% agree
Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mild spoilers for Revolution, but its set 15 years in the future and seems to have an occasional flashback to basically set up who people are.

I'd prefer if they did it the other way, if that's even possible. We'd get to follow the people becoming who they are and maybe show a few flashforwards to who these people have become. I guess this way, they don't have to worry about utilizing kid actors, but the minimal flashbacks they showed had far more depth and characterization to them than anything that occurred in the present in the show.

Dollhouse did this greatly at the end of its first season, flashing forward a couple of years and showing us how the world became. The second (last) season caught up with a couple of episodes left. A show set 15 years in the future obviously makes it more difficult, but I think that would have made for a more interesting show.

It seems like The Lost model is the way people will be doing things for a while now: show the plot and then flashback to the backstory. Once Upon a Time does this, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It seems like The Lost model is the way people will be doing things for a while now: show the plot and then flashback to the backstory. Once Upon a Time does this, too

SI

I know "Lost" took a lot of flak from a lot of folks, especially during the later seasons, but given all of the completely unremarkable and utterly forgetable "Lost" clones that have and come since then, it really makes what "Lost" managed to pull off - more often than not - pretty damned impressive.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that was not a criticism of Lost, by any means.

SI

Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #110
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, that was not a criticism of Lost, by any means.

SI

I didn't take it as such. Just an observation on "Lost" and all the multitudes of "Lost" clones over the years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #111
Easy Mac

If it wasn't for the horrible acting of Joseph Fiennes and Jack Davenport and the horrible storytelling (but good plot idea), FlashForward could have been a very good show. It needed more John Cho and the Famous Jett Jackson. I thought the outline of the show was very good, but the execution was just horrible. It just spent too much time telling side stories that didn't really go anywhere (that Japanese love triangle, what was the point?).
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #112
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The first episode of Go On that I watched was meh. There might be something there, but it was just boring.

I thought the preview episode during the Olympics was quite good, but the second episode wasn't as good. The show definitely has potential as they have enough different characters in the group to develop some of them into interesting personalities. I just worry that the every episode will be about Perry's character screwing things up while trying to help and then learning from the real group leader while she fixes his mistakes. That will get old quickly.

Quote:
Guys with Kids was horrible. The overactive laugh track was just distracting, especially when there were no jokes.

"Filmed in front of a live studio audience". Possibly true, but the laughter did not come from the audience. The show was worth a smile or chuckle once or twice, but no actual laughter. Uninspiring characters and no great actors to drive the show. Cliches abound.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #113
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

These two plus 666 Park Avenue look good to me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
These two plus 666 Park Avenue look good to me.

666 Park Avenue looks like good campy, guilty-pleasure fun.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The thing that annoys me is that you'll see ads for these new shows, but there is no way to one touch record the show. At least not with a Directv DVR anyways. Like I wanted to record Last Resort, but it was more than 10 or so days out and I couldn't find it with my DVR. Frustrating.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The thing that annoys me is that you'll see ads for these new shows, but there is no way to one touch record the show. At least not with a Directv DVR anyways. Like I wanted to record Last Resort, but it was more than 10 or so days out and I couldn't find it with my DVR. Frustrating.

#firstworldproblems
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #117
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The thing that annoys me is that after a 12 hour shift painstakingly making Ipads by hand, when I get home to my one room apartment I will see ads for these new shows. If I had a TV, I mean. There is no way to one touch record the show, at least that's what my uncle who makes the DVR's told me before he died of copper poisoning. I wanted to record the show Last Resort, of course it was blocked by my government, but it was more than 10 or so days out anyways. I'm sure a DVR doesn't work like that.

#3rdworldproblems
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #118
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Not digging this bullshit about the one guy who knew about it and apparently has something on a flash drive (although without power how's that going to help? A shielded computer somewhere I guess?)

And magically guns still work?

Meh. Lame.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-17-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Not digging this bullshit about the one guy who knew about it and apparently has something on a flash drive (although without power how's that going to help? A shielded computer somewhere I guess?)

And magically guns still work?

Meh. Lame.

Why wouldn't guns work? They aren't powered by electricity.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #120
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Why wouldn't guns work? They aren't powered by electricity.

Well yes, they "would" still work if it's just electricity that died, but I was hoping for a future with even less technology. I guess I shouldn't have said "magically" but just "oh but guns work? Meh."

Just think it leads to the easy cop-out of "the bad guys have guns so they're stronger and more dangerous" which promotes shallow characterization instead of deeper characters.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

can we be careful of spoiler in here. k.thx
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Walt White is Heisenberg
Old 09-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #123
saldana
Pro Starter

i would like the producers and writers of "the new normal" to be summarily shot...what a stupid show...i didnt intend on watching it, but had that channel on from The Voice and the remote was across the room...cannot be cancelled soon enough.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #124
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i would like the producers and writers of "the new normal" to be summarily shot...what a stupid show...i didnt intend on watching it, but had that channel on from The Voice and the remote was across the room...cannot be cancelled soon enough.

So you liked it??

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #125
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Is it just me, or...

Go On = Community
The New Normal = Modern Family

(not talking quality, just the preface)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #126
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Is it just me, or...

Go On = Community

I said this to my wife while watching the second episode.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #127
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Enjoying Go On so far. I think the ensemble is better than Mr. Sunshine was (even though I enjoyed that show as well). Not sure how it is doing ratings-wise, but I hope it lasts.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #128
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

And I found this amusing...so I have been in the boat of "The Office should have been done 2 years ago" for a while. While I have watched every episode and would always stick with it, I just knew that they have tried to drag it on too long. So when I heard earlier this year that this would be the last season, I was somewhat happy and not all surprised - until I actually saw the first preview that said "The Office's Farewell Season". Then I got super bummed! Even though it's gone on past its prime, it was a great show - hope this season can give it a good send-off.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #129
Easy Mac

Go On had 9.3 million viewers, 3.3 million 18-49. A godsend for NBC, although no episodes of new shows have been going against it. Unless it bombs once the real shows come on, I'd be shocked if it doesn't at least last the season. It can drop maybe 20% and still get renewed for next year.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #130
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Is it just me, or...

Go On = Community
The New Normal = Modern Family

(not talking quality, just the preface)
The New Normal is definitely an attempt at a Modern Family clone. I'm not sure that Community is the model for Go On -- hard to justify making a clone of a low-rated (but awesome) show that the network seems to have little faith in. But there are definite similarities.

I'm trying to like Go On because I root for Matt Perry. But I'm having a hard time getting past the horrible premise and the excruciating writing. This isn't Perry's best work either.

Maybe it'll grow on me. I hated Friends at first too, although that was mostly due to the damn monkey.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #131
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'm trying to like Go On because I root for Matt Perry. But I'm having a hard time getting past the horrible premise and the excruciating writing. This isn't Perry's best work either.

What don't you like about the premise of Go On?

The most jarring thing for me is the caricatures in the group. The crazy cat lady, the inappropriate-touching guy, etc. Most TV shows make their characters very one-dimensional for the first 5 episodes and then allow them to expand. If they expand decently, the show should be OK.

I think of both Community and Parks and Rec in terms of this expansion. Community was decent and then got really good. Parks and Rec was awful early and then got really good. We'll see what this show does.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #132
Easy Mac

Last Resort is streaming on Hulu, ABC, and available on iTunes.

I thought it was the best premier I've seen since Lost.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #133
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Guy goes into therapy after his wife dies in a car accident caused by texting. That's a horrible premise for a comedy. If this show were done like a SportsNight where there was drama and comedy, it could work. You can also pull off slapstick humor and death for half an hour. But you can't do it for half an hour every single week. It's just too odd.

Quote:
The most jarring thing for me is the caricatures in the group. The crazy cat lady, the inappropriate-touching guy, etc. Most TV shows make their characters very one-dimensional for the first 5 episodes and then allow them to expand. If they expand decently, the show should be OK.
Couldn't agree more. The group characters are by and large horribly created. I'm just waiting for the protests to start about this show making fun of the mentally ill.

For NBC, the numbers it's putting up are great. But once the other networks come back, I have a feeling it will be getting beat by New Girl by Thanksgiving.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #134
kcchief19
Pro Starter

In other news, Animal Practice "debuts" this week and I'm hoping this thing tanks and is cancelled quickly. I'm not sure I have ever seen previews for a show that annoy me as much as this. It just looks god awful.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

KC-
I gather you missed "Guys with Kids?"
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #136
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Office was pretty bad this week. I'm watching just because I've watched every episode and I know there is an end in sight. Last year had some bright moments but floundered most of the season, and this first episode felt like it was written by a bunch of people who were bored with their jobs and just trying to cash for a bit longer.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #137
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Watched the first episode of Go On after the olympics one night. Have no desire to watch another episode.

Looking forward to Person of Interest to see what direction it takes this season. Also the usual mix of Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds and How I Met Your Mother (only because I have watched it this long but it needs to be better than last season).

Then it seems I have a diet of reality TV with Survivor, Amazing Race, Ultimate Fighter and Being Liverpool.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #138
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

Maybe it'll grow on me. I hated Friends at first too, although that was mostly due to the damn monkey.
Quote:

I think of both Community and Parks and Rec in terms of this expansion. Community was decent and then got really good. Parks and Rec was awful early and then got really good. We'll see what this show does.
That's about where I am - I like it enough as a flawed show right now, and as a comedy I'm willing to give it a longer leash than a drama. Everyone in the therapy group (with the possible exception of the blind black guy and the therapist) is a Modern Family-esque caricature, but the two work acquaintances (Harold and the girl from Terra Nova) have actually been well written and acted so far, so I'm willing to go along with it and see if they can fix the rest of the show by season 2, a la P&R.
Quote:
Last Resort is streaming on Hulu, ABC, and available on iTunes.

I thought it was the best premier I've seen since Lost.
It was good. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it is written by Shawn Ryan (The Shield/Terriers). Not entirely sure where it will go long term, but I assume it will hold up on the journey there.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #139
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

so they're finally making a fargo tv show. i know the coens had been shopping it for years but... idk. i'd feel better if it was on a cable network. i guess i'm cautiously optimistic.

thing about fargo is it was crazy shit happens somewhere crazy shit never happens. i'm curious as to what direction they'll take it.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #140
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Like Northern Exposure but with crazy killings?

SI

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #141
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the NAACP will protest an all white cast
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #142
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
KC-
I gather you missed "Guys with Kids?"
I haven't checked it out yet. I feel like I should watch at least the pilots of these shows I hate on spec just so my criticism doesn't seem so superficial.

Are those guys able to still stay cool dudes? It is totally dadass?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #143
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The Mindy Project and Ben and Kate.

Anyone else watch either of these? Did you find them as awful as I did?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #144
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I didn't watch them yet, but will tonight probably. They both had underwhelming premiere #'s, although part of that is New Girl being down from last year. Mindy did hold a good % and was 2nd in it's timeslot.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #145
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I didn't watch The Mindy Project because it seemed stupid from the start. Ben and Kate I decided was stupid prior to the first commercial break. How do shows like this even make it to air?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really like Mindy Kaling and from what I've heard it gets better in the shows after the pilot. I haven't had time to check it out yet.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #147
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I didn't watch The Mindy Project because it seemed stupid from the start. Ben and Kate I decided was stupid prior to the first commercial break. How do shows like this even make it to air?

I'll probably give both another try to see if they get better, but I was ready to turn both shows off by the commercial break. The Mindy Project didn't get any better. Ben and Kate got slightly better, but not nearly enough. The Ben character is completely annoying, and Kate is only slightly better. They have to hope the 5-year old can carry the show.

I did catch the latest episode of Go On. I'm still liking this one. Less screen-time for the goofy side characters, but just enough to keep things fun. I like that the show has a bit of a serious side to add heart, but still plenty of comedy. Then again, I like comedy best when it can play opposite serious.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #148
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

I thought the Mindy Project was awful, but found Ben and Kate semi amusing. I'd probably give that one another chance next week.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #149
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Enjoyed Elementary last night. We'll see if it keeps up, but pretty decent start.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The New Girl premiere episode was pretty great. I love that show.