Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #101
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
My Mass Effect 2 pre-order got backordered, GREAT!!1

I had my copy preloaded off of steam, but right I'm unable to log onto EA Online to use the DLC.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #102
Super Ugly
High School JV

I am positively geeked for Mass Effect 2. Fingers crossed that Amazon came come through with the pre-order. I've been having terrible problems with them recently.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #103
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Mass Effect 2 is awesome, that is all.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #104
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Mass Effect 2 is awesome, that is all.

+1

Absolutely love that it found my old save (not a huge advantage, but there was some to it), enjoyed the opening, and actually like that this one feels a bit more driven by the main quest than the first. I thought the first didn't make the main quest feel like enough of a priority at times, whereas here, they've done a nice job of pushing it, at least early. I've put in about 3.5 hours and have only positives to say thus far.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #105
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
+1

Absolutely love that it found my old save (not a huge advantage, but there was some to it), enjoyed the opening, and actually like that this one feels a bit more driven by the main quest than the first. I thought the first didn't make the main quest feel like enough of a priority at times, whereas here, they've done a nice job of pushing it, at least early. I've put in about 3.5 hours and have only positives to say thus far.

Yes I felt sucked in, having beaten the first game I imported a level 49 infiltrator. Cinematically inspiring, not trudged down by much. Biggest bonus is that the intro did not feel too long, you went in and got to play.

Already located two additional party members including an "old friend" from the first game (I knew who it was just from the buildup but it didn't disappoint me when it was revealed). I like the characters so far, it's deep and they seem to all have personalities rather than cardboard templates.

I'm pleased and I've only scratched the surface.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #106
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Also enjoyed the intro to ME2, have had a chance to put much time into it yet.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #107
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I really like the new system during the cutscenes where you can trigger renegade or paragon actions. I missed using one, but have used all the others thus far (typically renegade).
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #108
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Has anyone found any decent shops for weapons, armor? I've been to Omega, the Citadel, and Illium, but haven't really found a good one-stop shop like in the first game. I also like how we're recruiting some unstable people, makes me think there's gonna be something very interesting happening later in the game.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #109
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

And I get to the "twist" mission. I was very surprised. Spoiler about the mission you get the twist, just talking about the level nothing else.

Spoiler
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #110
RainMaker
General Manager

Does ME2 have co-op play?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #111
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Although I'll be playing the Show instead, I do like this bit of marketing for MLB2k10. They're offering $1,000,000 to the first person that pitches a perfect game on the X360 or PS3 version.

2ksports.com

Last edited by Big Fo : 01-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #112
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Although I'll be playing the Show instead, I do like this bit of marketing for MLB2k10. They're offering $1,000,000 to the first person that pitches a perfect game on the X360 or PS3 version.

2ksports.com

Maybe I should play a game against my 3 year old niece.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #113
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

2ksports.com

Console modders are going to have a field day with this.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I saw over at PastaPadre that they removed check swings from the 2K10 game. Interesting that they believe removing features will make the game better.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #115
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I saw over at PastaPadre that they removed check swings from the 2K10 game. Interesting that they believe removing features will make the game better.

Well...when you can hit a homerun on check swing, it's probably not that great of a feature anyway.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #116
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

God of War III release date is set. March 16th in the States and March 19th in EU.

It’s Official, God of War III Will Be Attacking Stores on March 16th! – PlayStation.Blog
Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #117
MikeVic
Head Coach

Anyone try the Bayonetta demo? It was fun, but I felt like I was just button-mashing the entire time.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #118
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I've just found the the final member of my squad for Mass Effect 2. I'm about 30 hours in (No, I have no life right now ) and not entirely sure how much longer I have to go.

I'm pretty much ready to call this the best game I've ever played. It basically took out all of the little things that were slightly annoying in ME1. I love the story, the graphics are amazing...I love it!
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #119
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I've just found the the final member of my squad for Mass Effect 2. I'm about 30 hours in (No, I have no life right now ) and not entirely sure how much longer I have to go.

I'm pretty much ready to call this the best game I've ever played. It basically took out all of the little things that were slightly annoying in ME1. I love the story, the graphics are amazing...I love it!

Out of curiosity, PC or 360 version?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #120
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post

I just did as well. It was quite surprising. I have no idea how close I am to the end, but I don't want it to come yet lol. I'm hoping there's more after we make "the jump".

Just a little disappointed. I brought my last team member to the Citadel in hopes that they would freak out or something. Sadly, nothing.

Edit: I'm on the 360 version.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 01-28-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #121
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I know everyone is on Mass Effect 2 but I'm a few hours into the first game, I'm enjoying it so far but can't decide if I want to keep plugging along at the minimum screen resolution and a still occasionally choppy framerate or wait until I get a new computer to finish it. I like the shooting/RPG combo and find the story interesting and want to keep going but I'm sure I'd like it even more with a higher resolution, more detail, and >30 fps. If I like the rest of the first one as much as I have so far I'll definitely get the sequel.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #122
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Most. Epic. Ending. Ever.

Just did the last mission. I don't know how any game could ever compete with a final mission like that one. I mean...just so amazing in every sense. All the decisions you're faced with...it's just...incredible. I'm so amazatized...it deserves its own word.

I can't wait to play ME3 and see how the decisions you made in this one affect that one.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #123
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Out of curiosity, PC or 360 version?

I'm on 360.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #124
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Anyone try the Bayonetta demo? It was fun, but I felt like I was just button-mashing the entire time.

Pretty much my evaluation, as well. I did enjoy the constant "WTF?!?!" factor as stranger and stranger crap happened.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #125
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony announces that Heavy Rain will have a demo available on Feb. 11th.

Heavy Rain Goes Gold, Demo Coming February 11 – PlayStation.Blog

New trailer for Red Dead Redemption. Looks really nice..........

New trailer for White Knight Chronicles. Comes out next Tuesday............

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/756/
Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

2ksports.com

Bill Harris nailed exactly why this is so ridiculous........

Dubious Quality: Gaming Notes

Quote:
If you play sports games, you know that the MLB2K series has been an embarrassment for several years now. Terrible bugs, crappy framerate, and inconsistent design have combined to make this one of the worst franchises out there.

MLB2K10 is coming out soon, and with zero buzz and record levels of skepticism about the game, 2K Sports announced a contest today that will pay $1 million to the first person who throws a perfect game in MLB2K10.

That's genius. Instead of adding eight or ten programmers to the game for a full year (which could theoretically improve the quality of the game), they decide on a shitty promotional stunt instead. Well-done.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #127
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm about 30 hours in to Mass Effect 2 and only have two complaints so far. The first is that the controls don't seem very well designed for the PC, but instead made for a console. The shortcuts for squad upgrades, journal, and codex from the first game are gone, and Use/Run/Cover are all mapped to the same key. Secondofly, I was disappointed that Adam Baldwin's character only has a small role in the game.

Other than those minor gripes I've been having a great time with it, easily one of the best games I've ever played.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #128
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm about 30 hours in to Mass Effect 2 and only have two complaints so far. The first is that the controls don't seem very well designed for the PC, but instead made for a console. The shortcuts for squad upgrades, journal, and codex from the first game are gone, and Use/Run/Cover are all mapped to the same key. Secondofly, I was disappointed that Adam Baldwin's character only has a small role in the game.

Other than those minor gripes I've been having a great time with it, easily one of the best games I've ever played.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #129
Ramzavail
College Starter

Interesting, b/c I heard that the ME1 PC version had better controls than the XBOX 360 ME1.

Anyways, I'm still on back order on deepdiscount.com - with no followup email. Great. I do like all the ME2 chatter, it whets my palette.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am looking forward to "Mass Effect 2". It's going to take a while before I get it, though.

I am currently in the midst of a new "Golden Age of Gaming". I played through "Fallout 2" finally a few months back, I am nearing the end of "Dragon Age", after that it's "Mass Effect" (never played the first one) and then "Mass Effect 2". After all of that, I still have "Bioshock" and, possibly, "Bioshock 2" waiting in the wings.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #131
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Interesting, b/c I heard that the ME1 PC version had better controls than the XBOX 360 ME1.

Anyways, I'm still on back order on deepdiscount.com - with no followup email. Great. I do like all the ME2 chatter, it whets my palette.

The Mass Effect controls were great with the exception of driving the Mako. Would've been happy if that had been a part of the game that didn't change, but it is a rather minor annoyance with how good the game is.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #132
Ramzavail
College Starter

Maybe I heard the PC version had better 'group team' controls than the XBOX version - did they improve that in ME2?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #133
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Bill Harris nailed exactly why this is so ridiculous........

Dubious Quality: Gaming Notes
I think Bill is off on that. The million dollar prize is marketing which they hope to use the buzz from to make over a million dollars in sales from. I don't think you can put the hard cost of development with the variable cost of marketing.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think Bill is off on that. The million dollar prize is marketing which they hope to use the buzz from to make over a million dollars in sales from. I don't think you can put the hard cost of development with the variable cost of marketing.

But the argument could easily be made that an investment of $1,000,000 in development would be more than offset in future years (assuming improvement of the overall engine) if they can correct the obviously poor development currently on the game. The $1,000,000 will only be good for this year under that scenario. You don't have to look any further than 'The Bigs' franchise to see what can be produced by that studio when good development work is done with a similar engine. The Bigs is a good game. 2K10 is awful.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #135
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
But the argument could easily be made that an investment of $1,000,000 in development would be more than offset in future years (assuming improvement of the overall engine) if they can correct the obviously poor development currently on the game. The $1,000,000 will only be good for this year under that scenario. You don't have to look any further than 'The Bigs' franchise to see what can be produced by that studio when good development work is done with a similar engine. The Bigs is a good game. 2K10 is awful.

Actually, it's amazing how much marketing can push the sales of a game regardless of quality or how the game actually stands up to review scrutiny. All you need to do is compare marketing budget to first-week sales of games to see this corollary.

Word of mouth can certainly help/hurt a game once it's been out for a bit, but it's amazing how much marketing dollars equates to day 1 sales. And of course big day 1 sales drag additional people in pretty quick. It's longevity that can be affected by quality, but if you get those giant sales up front who cares about longevity, especially in this day and age where most of your sales are in that initial launch period anyway before the used market and pirates take over?

Also note that if they spent the money on development without the marketing budget, how are they going to convince folks who have been burned in the past that they are actually better now? I think you could make a case that just having the existing team fix bugs without adding much in the way of new features, and then putting a big marketing push out to renew interest in the franchise and having them get a polished product, might be the best way to get themselves kickstarted for next year. It worked for Madden, didn't it?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #136
rowech
Pro Starter

All the 1 million prize tells me is they've made it impossible to throw a no-hitter.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #137
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Marketing is an indirect expense while development is a direct expense. If you spend $1 million in marketing, you expect to make more than $1 million off of it. They are two different types of expenses that can't be compared to one another.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #138
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
All the 1 million prize tells me is they've made it impossible to throw a no-hitter.

That's the conversation at many fan boards.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Actually, it's amazing how much marketing can push the sales of a game regardless of quality or how the game actually stands up to review scrutiny. All you need to do is compare marketing budget to first-week sales of games to see this corollary.

Word of mouth can certainly help/hurt a game once it's been out for a bit, but it's amazing how much marketing dollars equates to day 1 sales. And of course big day 1 sales drag additional people in pretty quick. It's longevity that can be affected by quality, but if you get those giant sales up front who cares about longevity, especially in this day and age where most of your sales are in that initial launch period anyway before the used market and pirates take over?

Also note that if they spent the money on development without the marketing budget, how are they going to convince folks who have been burned in the past that they are actually better now? I think you could make a case that just having the existing team fix bugs without adding much in the way of new features, and then putting a big marketing push out to renew interest in the franchise and having them get a polished product, might be the best way to get themselves kickstarted for next year. It worked for Madden, didn't it?

All good points.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #140
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, if they're being honest about it it shouldn't take long. Over the history of baseball the average is around one no hitter every 1300 games.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #141
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, if they're being honest about it it shouldn't take long. Over the history of baseball the average is around one no hitter every 1300 games.

But perfect games are much rarer, around one out of every 19,000 games. But still, if there are 100,000 copies sold on the first day and 2 games played per copy, that means there should be at least 10 or so perfect games on the first day.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MBBF posted the weapons video, here is the hands on preview:

Red Dead Redemption Hands-on - Xbox 360 Preview - at IGN

This game is going to eat hours of my life.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #143
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

*drools*

cannot wait.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Marketing is an indirect expense while development is a direct expense. If you spend $1 million in marketing, you expect to make more than $1 million off of it. They are two different types of expenses that can't be compared to one another.

I'll make one slight change to that statement if I may;
If you spend $1m in marketing you expect to make a lot more than an extra $1m off of it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #145
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Mass Effect 2 completed, absolutely awesome game...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #146
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Also done with ME2.

Wow!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #147
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Will I'll be lost or miss out on a lot if I haven't played ME1?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

I'm replaying ME1 before I start 2, because it is also a very good game and I want to refresh myself on the story.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #149
PineTar
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

May be nothing, but...

Sources: Red Dead Redemption development in trouble [update]
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #150
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Is the game challenging? I never played the first one.

The game is as challenging as you want it to be. On the basic level, you'll probably die a few times, but nothing that will want to make you throw your controller in a rage. I think they're more focused on the storyline than on trying to frustrate players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

You won't be lost, but there's a lot of things in the first game that show up in the second one. It'd almost be like if you started watching the Star Wars trilogy with the second movie.