Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #101
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I was under the impression an officer can detain you while investigating a potential crime.

By potential crime you mean what TMZ says. Yeah, not exactly sure that's cause.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #102
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I would love to say the cops are playing favorites, what exactly is there for them to investigate other than the word of single gossip rag.

No, in this situation I don't see an ordinary person getting treated differently. Unless that ordinary person was being a dick.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #103
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
I was under the impression an officer can detain you while investigating a potential crime.

You certainly can't be made to answer any questions. That would be a violation of your right to remain silent. And you can't be detained (seized) without probable cause and a warrant (that would be arrest warrant) or there are exigent circumstances.

If it were domestic violence that had occured previously, Tiger would have to be arrested in order to be forced into a face-to-face meeting with the police. Or he could leave the house in a public place and police could ask him questions and he would not have to answer.

Of course, I'll hopefully know all of this better in two weeks when I've studied up for my Criminal Procedure exam.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #104
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Yes but ... I think the above are correct. If this guy's name was Bill Woods and refused to talk the police and didn't have a lawyer, they would be busting his balls pretty hard right now. But you can't treat Tiger Woods like you would a regular Joe. Money and celebrity has certain protections.

Is it right? Heck no. But that's the way it is.

I think they would probably be busting his balls if he weren't Tiger. But let's keep in mind, they went to his house three times--it's not like they are just sitting idle waiting for him to come to them. They were just refused the opportunity to enter his home all three times. Sure, it helps that he has a lawyer who can tell him he doesn't have to let them in to talk. I guess he bought that knowledge as opposed to gaining it through other methods. But, I think it's less a famous thing as much as knowing what to do. Celebrities get off the hook a lot less now than in the past, it seems.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #105
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
You certainly can't be made to answer any questions. That would be a violation of your right to remain silent. And you can't be detained (seized) without probable cause and a warrant (that would be arrest warrant) or there are exigent circumstances.

If it were domestic violence that had occured previously, Tiger would have to be arrested in order to be forced into a face-to-face meeting with the police. Or he could leave the house in a public place and police could ask him questions and he would not have to answer.

Of course, I'll hopefully know all of this better in two weeks when I've studied up for my Criminal Procedure exam.

Yep. Plus, state law allows him the right to not talk or see police since it is only a traffic accident. To be honest, I don't see how they have any evidence beyond that. Gossip doesn't count.

I don't see this a celebrity getting extra attention. I think his money allows him a team of top-notch lawyers and he seems like a bright guy (well, until now), but he's just using his rights.

I'm still waiting to see if he will still go to California this week. I believe he is hosting it and getting a very nice paycheck for it. Lot of PR in that situation if he goes or doesn't go.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-29-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #106
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

You don't need a warrant to detain someone. Detaining someone can be as simple as stopping them walking down the street and asking for identification. There were many times during my internship when we would detain someone, but not place them under arrest.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #107
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
You don't need a warrant to detain someone. Detaining someone can be as simple as stopping them walking down the street and asking for identification. There were many times during my internship when we would detain someone, but not place them under arrest.

True, you can ask for ID (and they have to give it to you) or ask any other questions (but can't compel an answer). I guess I was thinking of detention as an interrogation situation as it seemed like RainMaker was inferring (since Tiger was in his house and didn't seem to want to come outside). These are important vocuabulary distinctions I'll need to know in two weeks.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #108
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
By potential crime you mean what TMZ says. Yeah, not exactly sure that's cause.
Driving into a hydrant and through your neighbors tree is a potential crime. Otherwise I'd imagine that every DUI suspect could just tell the cops to fuck-off.

I'd say the cause would be a seemingly healthy, athletic male driving over a hydrant and into a tree at under 35 MPH. Him having his back window mysteriously busted out and lacerations on his face that didn't jive with the injuries of the car crash.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #109
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Driving into a hydrant and through your neighbors tree is a potential crime. Otherwise I'd imagine that every DUI suspect could just tell the cops to fuck-off.

I'd say the cause would be a seemingly healthy, athletic male driving over a hydrant and into a tree at under 35 MPH. Him having his back window mysteriously busted out and lacerations on his face that didn't jive with the injuries of the car crash.

Glad you were there to personally witness all this.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

Setting aside legality, in my mind the much more important element of this is the public perception. He is a global icon, obviously, and being a great golfer is only part of his currency.

From my own perspective (that of a modestly pro-Tiger, non-serious-golfer, weak-sports-fan, headline-reading type of guy) I'd say that the several days of canceling the "interview" with the police is likely doing him more harm than either the vehicular or marital elements of this incident. Rich people get into mishaps, and they tread on their own relationships, most of us get that and we tend to forgive/overlook it. But when they start to behave like they belong to a wholly different class of humanity than the rest of us, they lose some of what we feel like we connect with. I'm not trying to make awful predictions here, but I think this legal strategy is a very bad decision for the Tiger brand, almost no matter the actual details of what happened.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #111
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Setting aside legality, in my mind the much more important element of this is the public perception. He is a global icon, obviously, and being a great golfer is only part of his currency.

On the other hand, if his wife really did take a golf club to him and his car, then she could be facing major charges. If the stalling is to protect her, I think people will understand.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #112
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I honestly thing that, in the long run, the most damaging part of this for him will be "This was all my fault" part of his official statement.

His wife goes psycho on him with a golf club, and he takes the blame. I can see that coming to symbolize Tiger as the poster boy for whipped men.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #113
molson
General Manager

What an overhyped story (unless someone finds a dead body in the trunk).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #114
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It really hasn't been any secret that the worst part of Tiger's game is his erratic driving.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #115
digamma
Torchbearer

Welcome to the first page of the thread, Dr.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #116
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey...I'm slow
Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #117
digamma
Torchbearer

Mind if we play through?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #118
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
On the other hand, if his wife really did take a golf club to him and his car, then she could be facing major charges.

Even if this turns into a criminal investigation, neither he nor she can be compelled to testify against her, so with the verified and documented traffic accident as a plausible explanation for his injuries, where's the case? She will never be convicted (and most likely never charged) of anything here.

Its pretty obvious that something other than an accident happened here, but it could have simply been a non-physical argument that they don't wish to share with the world.

QS, he obviously does not think avoiding making a statement to police will damage his brand as much as the truth of what happened would. If "she caught me cheating and went after me with a golf club" is the truth, I tend to agree.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #119
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think it could also be that he is thinking about someone other than himself. Like maybe his wife, or maybe even moreso, his kids. If he did cheat on her, then he probably feels partially responsible for her going ape-shit with a golf club and doesn't want to drag her through the mud over it. And maybe he doesn't want his kids to know the truth about that night either.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #120
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think it could also be that he is thinking about someone other than himself. Like maybe his wife, or maybe even moreso, his kids. If he did cheat on her, then he probably feels partially responsible for her going ape-shit with a golf club and doesn't want to drag her through the mud over it. And maybe he doesn't want his kids to know the truth about that night either.
Or maybe he cares a lot about his massive endorsement deals.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #121
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Glad you were there to personally witness all this.
That was all in the police report and there are a lot of pictures available to prove he drove into a fire hydrant and a tree. Heck, he's even admitted doing it.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #122
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:

This will all be forgotten by next summer when he's competing in the majors. His brand is too big and powerful to be hurt by it.
lerriuqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #123
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerriuqs View Post
This will all be forgotten by next summer when he's competing in the majors. His brand is too big and powerful to be hurt by it.

I think you missed my point. Perhaps he is putting his wife and kids ahead of his brand on this one? Just a thought.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #124
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger doesn't owe us an explanation

Whitlock makes the same point, that he could be protecting his wife in this case.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-30-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #125
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think you missed my point. Perhaps he is putting his wife and kids ahead of his brand on this one? Just a thought.

Perhaps. My point was more that his brand can and will withstand this so he can afford to avoid the spotlight to protect them.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #126
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I actually agree with you 100%. Tiger has more money that I can ever dream of seeing in my lifetime. I doubt he gives a good hoot about his endorsements, he is a BILLIONAIRE. And as far as the PGA Tour goes...he is the PGA Tour. He knows it and the PGA knows it. Unless he is a drunk or goes out raping or hitting women, it's not going to matter a whole lot in that aspect.

And before I get piled on for being a Tiger fan, let me be upfront and say I only root for him during the Ryder Cup and President's Cup. I don't want him to break Jack's Majors record, although I think it is only a matter of time till he does. His on the course tirades are a bit much (throwing clubs, swearing, etc.) but he seems like a class guy off the course.

He screwed up, he knows it. She got pissed, maybe rightfully so and went a bit too far. He just wants it to be over and done with, and does not want any more embarrassment placed on him, her, or his family than has already happened.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #127
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Tiger doesn't owe us an explanation

Whitlock makes the same point, that he could be protecting his wife in this case.
Whitlock is protecting him because he's black. He had no problem digging deep into the Rick Pitino issue a few months back. If this was Phil Mickelson, Whitlock never writes the article.

I guess I'd argue that it's really no one's business. But I think it's kind of ridiculous to think he's protecting his wife considering he just fucking cheated on her.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #128
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I actually agree with you 100%. Tiger has more money that I can ever dream of seeing in my lifetime. I doubt he gives a good hoot about his endorsements, he is a BILLIONAIRE. And as far as the PGA Tour goes...he is the PGA Tour. He knows it and the PGA knows it. Unless he is a drunk or goes out raping or hitting women, it's not going to matter a whole lot in that aspect.

And before I get piled on for being a Tiger fan, let me be upfront and say I only root for him during the Ryder Cup and President's Cup. I don't want him to break Jack's Majors record, although I think it is only a matter of time till he does. His on the course tirades are a bit much (throwing clubs, swearing, etc.) but he seems like a class guy off the course.

He screwed up, he knows it. She got pissed, maybe rightfully so and went a bit too far. He just wants it to be over and done with, and does not want any more embarrassment placed on him, her, or his family than has already happened.
Money isn't everything. Legacy is though. Tiger has given off the perception that he is virtually perfect. A perfect golfer with no flaws. A family man who loves his wife, kids, and parents. As bad as it sounds, personal issues like this can have an impact on a player's legacy.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #129
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
I guess I'd argue that it's really no one's business. But I think it's kind of ridiculous to think he's protecting his wife considering he just fucking cheated on her.

I agree. What he's doing is damage control.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #130
Galaxy
Coordinator

I guess Tiger pulled out of his own tournament in California that is suppose to start later in the week.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #131
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
Money isn't everything. Legacy is though. Tiger has given off the perception that he is virtually perfect. A perfect golfer with no flaws. A family man who loves his wife, kids, and parents. As bad as it sounds, personal issues like this can have an impact on a player's legacy.

History has shown that unless what you do is really bad (ie. killing someone or going to jail for whatever you do, or cheating at your actual sport), your legacy is pretty much assured if you're a star. In the long run, history has shown that people ignore the personal issues of stars. You can look at many, many professional athletes to see the same. The ones that are disgraced actually cheated on the field (See Barry Bonds or Mark McGwire) or did something really bad off the field (see OJ Simpson). Extra-marital affairs and other similar issues, sadly even spousal abuse, are forgiven/forgotten relatively quickly...
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #132
cougarfreak
College Starter

Isn't destroying public property a crime? (the hydrant)?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #133
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
History has shown that unless what you do is really bad (ie. killing someone or going to jail for whatever you do, or cheating at your actual sport), your legacy is pretty much assured if you're a star. In the long run, history has shown that people ignore the personal issues of stars. You can look at many, many professional athletes to see the same. The ones that are disgraced actually cheated on the field (See Barry Bonds or Mark McGwire) or did something really bad off the field (see OJ Simpson). Extra-marital affairs and other similar issues, sadly even spousal abuse, are forgiven/forgotten relatively quickly...
So when you think of Isiah Thomas, do you think of one of the greatest Point Guards to ever play the game? When you think of Magic Johnson, do you also think of AIDS? Will people always remember the Kobe rape accusations?

Personal issues can taint how people go down in history. I'm not saying it'll be horrific or anything for him, but there will always be that mild taint on his career if it turns out his wife assaulted him because he was cheating on her with someone. Image plays a large role in Tiger Woods success. He's a multi-cultural icon in a sport that is catering to wealthy middle aged white men.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-30-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #134
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Lord knows that wealthy middle aged white men never cheat on their wives. Tiger will be a pariah at the country clubs!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #135
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
History has shown that unless what you do is really bad (ie. killing someone ...), your legacy is pretty much assured if you're a star.

And if your name is Leonard Little, even that won't tarnish what folks think of you!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #136
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:

You don't have the right to remain silent under every circumtance. The right to remain silent (as what I think you're doing) applies only to custodial interrogation. You can be asked questions such as your name, and be required to provide identifying papers such as an ID if there's reasonable suspicion of a crime. But that's different than the "right to remain silent."

Good luck on crim pro.

[I just saw your response but decided not to delete--this was one of trip ups on my crim pro exam--whether or not the Miranda attaches or whether the guy who talked before he was Mirandized was in trouble due to saying too much when he was free to leave. That's why street law projects usually say-don't answer any questions)]

Last edited by Jon : 11-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #137
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Good luck on crim pro.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll need quite a bit of it. First go-round for the professor, so nobody really knows what to expect (except for 3 hours, 3 essays, closed book).
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #138
Galaxy
Coordinator

So do the police need a warrant to look at medical records?

FAQ on Government Access to Medical Records | American Civil Liberties Union
Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #139
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What do you remember the most about Arnold Palmer...his titles...Arnie's Army...or the fact that he beat his wife?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #140
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
So when you think of Isiah Thomas, do you think of one of the greatest Point Guards to ever play the game? When you think of Magic Johnson, do you also think of AIDS? Will people always remember the Kobe rape accusations?

Personal issues can taint how people go down in history. I'm not saying it'll be horrific or anything for him, but there will always be that mild taint on his career if it turns out his wife assaulted him because he was cheating on her with someone. Image plays a large role in Tiger Woods success. He's a multi-cultural icon in a sport that is catering to wealthy middle aged white men.

Umm. Isiah changed his legacy by staying in sports. That has nothing to do with personal stuff. As for Magic and Kobe - AIDS is certainly there but has never hurt his legacy IMO. Kobe's rape allegations have been basically forgotten about and are rarely even talked about any more.

Anything that comes from this for Tiger will disappear and be dismissed by most people and will not be viewed as tainting his career in any way, shape or form.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #141
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I honestly thing that, in the long run, the most damaging part of this for him will be "This was all my fault" part of his official statement.

His wife goes psycho on him with a golf club, and he takes the blame. I can see that coming to symbolize Tiger as the poster boy for whipped men.
If she went all psycho on him because he forgot to get the curly fries with her burger and chocolate shake, yes.

If she beat with a golf club because he put his five-wood in another woman's golf bag, then I think most people will agree that yes, it was indeed his fault.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #142
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Umm. Isiah changed his legacy by staying in sports. That has nothing to do with personal stuff. As for Magic and Kobe - AIDS is certainly there but has never hurt his legacy IMO. Kobe's rape allegations have been basically forgotten about and are rarely even talked about any more.

Anything that comes from this for Tiger will disappear and be dismissed by most people and will not be viewed as tainting his career in any way, shape or form.
Isiah has sexual harrasment charges against him that the team lost in court. Magic will always be linked with AIDS and Kobe will always have that footnote in his history. In 50 years when someone reads a biography of these great athletes, there will always be mention of these events.

I'm not saying that Tiger will have his career ruined at all by this. But I do think it's a mark that will always remain in his profile. Think about his image. It was perfect. His biggest flaw was that he'd get too competitive. Tiger Woods was perfect and now he's not.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #143
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What do you remember the most about Arnold Palmer...his titles...Arnie's Army...or the fact that he beat his wife?
Different era. Not only for domestic assault but for media coverage. If Arnie was in his prime right now, that would be all over every news/celebrity site and he'd have lost every endorsement he ever had.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #144
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would modify that slightly to say that the public will forgive you if you face the music and apologize for what you did. People would forgive Bonds, McGwire or Pete Rose if they simply admitted what they did and apologized. What you can't do is lie about what you've done and hope to get away with it.

I don't know what to make of Tiger's strategy. The first rule of crisis media is to get your own story out first on your own terms and tell it all. Tiger isn't doing that because he's not telling us what happened. If he's telling the truth that the "rumors" are not true, then this will probably end well for him. If he's lying, this will hurt him.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #145
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's a stretch for Bonds.

Maybe Tiger doesn't give a shit if this will hurt him. He wants to deal with a private situation privately. You damned gossip mongers.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #146
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Isiah has sexual harrasment charges against him that the team lost in court. Magic will always be linked with AIDS and Kobe will always have that footnote in his history. In 50 years when someone reads a biography of these great athletes, there will always be mention of these events.

I'm not saying that Tiger will have his career ruined at all by this. But I do think it's a mark that will always remain in his profile. Think about his image. It was perfect. His biggest flaw was that he'd get too competitive. Tiger Woods was perfect and now he's not.
So what if Tiger turns out not to be "perfect"? Isiah is not defined by the sexual harassment charges, Magic is not defined by his HIV, and Kobe is not defined by the rape allegations. They are significant things, sure, but they are and will be completely overshadowed by these guys dominating their sport and winning championships. Ultimately, as far as history is concerned, Magic, Kobe, and Tiger will be remembered as winners.

Isiah, on the other hand, will be remembered as a clown who ruined the CBA, goofed up the Pacers, damn near destroyed the Knicks, and ended up coaching one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt.

I'm not saying that people will forget anything that comes out of this Tiger Woods situation, but it will just be a blip in the middle of the 300 majors he's already won and the 300 majors he will win the future.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #147
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:

None of those things will taint their sports careers or legacies in the slightest. A footnote does not a taint make...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #148
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So what if Tiger turns out not to be "perfect"? Isiah is not defined by the sexual harassment charges, Magic is not defined by his HIV, and Kobe is not defined by the rape allegations. They are significant things, sure, but they are and will be completely overshadowed by these guys dominating their sport and winning championships. Ultimately, as far as history is concerned, Magic, Kobe, and Tiger will be remembered as winners.

Isiah, on the other hand, will be remembered as a clown who ruined the CBA, goofed up the Pacers, damn near destroyed the Knicks, and ended up coaching one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt.

I'm not saying that people will forget anything that comes out of this Tiger Woods situation, but it will just be a blip in the middle of the 300 majors he's already won and the 300 majors he will win the future.

The problem with Tiger not being perfect is that he's build his whole name and brand around being perfect. Being so tight with privacy, ready to sue, and the way he carries himself, that's how he has managed to create the "business of Tiger Woods". Crafting this "well-spoken, one-woman, good family man" image helps (he might not be that-http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/...nnection/13466). Companies like Nike, Rolex, GM, ect. are paying him around a $100 million-per-year in endorsement money (along with his tournament fees and earnings) for that brand. Consumers pay for that.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #149
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You all saying Tiger's image is built on him being a family man is wrong.

His image is built on one thing and one thing only. Being the best damn golfer that ever lived. He didn't get married until 2004 for heaven's sakes.

The rest of the stuff is and has always been off-limits in his mind. People craft this perfect image of him, because it makes them feel better. You know, multiracial athlete conquering previously lily-white sport and reinventing the game in his own image. But he never did any of that. His commercials aren't about him being perfect at anything other than golf. That's it.

When he does release photos, it's only so the paparazzi don't have as much of a market for snapping pics of his family.

I have this whole email draft of quotes I pull from articles attributed to the people who say them. They provide some great morsels and here are two Tiger quotes that are surely at least 3 or more years old now.

Quote:
"I view my life in a way..I'll explain it to you, OK? The greatest thing about tomorrow is, I will be better than I am today. And that's how I look at my life. I will be better as a golfer, I will be better as a person, I will be better as a father, I will be a better husband, I will be better as a friend. That's the beauty of tomorrow. There is no such thing as a setback. The lessons I learn today I will apply tomorrow, and I will be better." -- Tiger Woods

Quote:
"I get no fulfillment from fame. I'd much rather have anonymity but still go out and kick everybody's butt. That would be fun. As long as everyone I competed against knew I beat them, and for me to know as well -- that would be enough." - Tiger Woods

People think this whole "image" of his is fraudulently cultivated because it serves their purposes of believing in this notion of the "wholesome gladiator." You know, someone who kills lions in the arena, but hugs kittens outside of it. The 24-hour news cycle just adds to the insanity of it.

His purported cheating is no one's business outside of his family, but I'm guessing the whole thing is a cover up for something else. (Painkiller addiction, maybe?) And even if he was cheating...coming out and telling the world when apparently his wife is still coping with it would be adding insult to injury. At least, in any normal relationship it seems like it would.

In a strange way, her reaction seems to signal that their marriage isn't what (a lot of people would like to believe it to be) it might seem - rich athlete marries 'pretty' blonde - and instead, a real story of two people in relatively close age who actually fall for each other and go forward with that whole deal. Especially since she was nannying when they met, not say, doing photo shoots.

But at this point, his legacy is ironclad. He's feeding WAY too many people for them to abandon him. Unlike any of the athletes before him, Tiger is the meal ticket for an entire INDUSTRY. Nike Golf didn't EXIST before he came along, purses in the PGA are up substantially since he first arrived and even those on the TOUR who hate that the sports seems to revolve around him, understand that he's the meal ticket.

So unless it comes out that he actually hit Elin, nothing in this story will be anything other than akin to hitting a squirrel when you're driving. You might feel bad and you might even go back and sure the little fucker is ok, but in the end you drive off and keep going where you were headed.

But the whole act of him not wanting to talk about it, is how he's gone about his professional life and I doubt it's going to change now no matter how much PR experts (or the rest of us message board amateurs) seem to think he ought to.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-01-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #150
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

++ to DC, great post
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote