Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 PM   #101
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

When it does go up, there will be a lot of news. I know I can't wait. This TPF looks to be a interesting play to say the least!

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #102
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

What is taking so long? I could have had that domain name pointed at any server in the world, even a dynamic IP address, in no more than 36 - 48 hours.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #103
mrskippy
Banned

My understanding is they're also doing a domain transfer, not just changing DNS information, which could be the reason why it's taken some extra time.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:04 PM   #104
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Seems like there's no reason you could not point the domain to the new IP before you change the ownership. I've never seen it take this long, even when going between businesses. Especially small ones that aren't full of lawyers and red tape.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #105
mrskippy
Banned

Hehehe, I thought the same thing. But got flamed when I brought it up at the OOTP forums.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:15 PM   #106
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

If they needed help with it, they could have asked. I would've consulted free of charge, or for an OOTP5 license.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:15 PM   #107
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

skippy, we saw.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #108
mrskippy
Banned

Just be patient. My prediction of Thursday or Friday still stands.

What do I get if I'm right?

Free ITP, Free ITP, Free ITP oh and Free TBCB, Free TBCB, Free TBCB.

Hehehehehhehehehehe

Skippy
Old 07-30-2003, 02:19 PM   #109
ScottVib
High School Varsity

We're still waiting on it.. unfortunately the automated process used by the old provider can take up to 5 days to transfer everything over. So we've been doing what we can to make sure everything is ready to go just as soon as everythings transferred over so that we can be up and running just as soon as possible.

Trust me there is no one chomping at the bit to get going more than Arlie, Joe, myself or the rest of the team at .400 Studios.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:23 PM   #110
mrskippy
Banned

5 days, eh? Damn I'm good!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 02:55 PM   #111
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
Hehehe, I thought the same thing. But got flamed when I brought it up at the OOTP forums.

Yes, that's exactly how you put it.

Wait, no, this is exactly how you put it.

Quote:
****ing Markus, leaves a company because he can't hand the reigns to someone else and take a lower roll.

I mean seriously, why the **** is he CEO of this company?

If he doesn't want to be a ****ing CEO, he could have made it easier by sticking with .400.

Doesn't make any ****ing sense.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:58 PM   #112
FBPro
College Starter

Ouch......such a way w/ words.......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:00 PM   #113
KWhit
Coordinator

Such a way with asterisks.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:01 PM   #114
FBPro
College Starter

My ***** exactly.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:07 PM   #115
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

He has a point. If you don't want to be CEO, then why insist on being CEO? OOTP Developments put 400 over a barrel when the split happened, and may have done some fairly significant damage to 400 by (so far as it appears to me as an outsider) bungling the domain transfer (which did not need to be done AFTER the split) but making sure they had all their stuff ready to roll.

Maybe everything was alright, but OOTP Developments being ready to roll immediately while making the 400 guys twiddle their thumbs looks and feels like an intentional slight.

Last edited by Tekneek : 07-30-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:08 PM   #116
FBPro
College Starter

Also, if you don't want **** then why *** ********.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:13 PM   #117
mrskippy
Banned

Actually, I was just testing out the censor thing when that happened.

However isn't there some irony in the fact that Markus still holds the title of CEO at the new company?

One would assume that he still has to manage the books, make the profit share decisions, etc. That's true no matter how big or small your company is.

My only thinking was that, couldn't have Markus simply stepped down as CEO, while remaining with 400 Software Studios? That happens all the time in business. That's what Bill Gates did at Microsoft.

That is the ONLY reason why I was suspicious of the move at first. However, I've since decided that I don't care so long as we still get great games from both parties.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:23 PM   #118
thirdandlong
Mascot

Actually it is due to this shakeup that I found this forum...I recently discovered TDCB and was following the TPF development. I didn't know much about FoF, I installed the first EA release way back in the day...but encountered some technical difficulties and wrote it off. I am beginning to think that was a mistake. I downloaded the FoF demo, and will give it a shot tonight. Anyhow enough of an introduction.

My take on the .400 OOTP split as a complete outsider, is that it is not near as friendly as it is being portrayed. The fact that the OOTP site and forums were up and ready to go, while the .400 site and forums were apparently started from scratch on Friday speaks volumes more than the spin folks are posting on various sites. It looks to me like the .400 folks got ambushed with this. If they didn't want people like me to come to that conclusion, they would have kept the existing forums up for a few days before shutting them down to make a conversion.
thirdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #119
mrskippy
Banned

Shhhhhhhh.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have to agree that if the was an amicable split, the details would have been taken care of before it happened and we wouldn't see this huge delay for the new website. Actions definitely speak louder then words.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:22 PM   #121
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Guys as Arlie said the split was an amicable split... you'll notice that we link to OOTP Developments on our site as they do to us on theirs. I still talk with Markus, Steve, Andreas, et. al daily and will remain a part of the OOTP community, albeit not as an official employee any longer. Being able to help both groups and not feel like I was hurting one or the other side was so important to me that I toyed with not aligning "officially" with either company and going back to being a fan, before accepting Joe's offer to join .400 Studios.

Unfortunately the old provider has taken awhile to get things transferred over, it's frustrating to be sure, but not anything malicious done by Markus or OOTP.

As I've mentioned Arlie, Joe, myself and the rest of the gang are ready to get things running and we're looking forward to getting rolling. As soon as the board opens we'll have an announcement as well as some new updates on our products.

ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 PM   #122
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

Ignorance is bliss.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:29 AM   #123
Andreas Raht
OOTP Developments

Hello everybody!

The whole domain issue is very annoying, but pretty simple:

1) The domain could not be moved before the new sites and boards were complete. Otherwise we would have had offline time. We could have made a copy of the site, and start to move the domain, but we could not have made a copy of the board, because the content changes any minute, so you cannot work with a copy on the new server.
We decided to first set up the new sites, then go offline for a day to set everything up, to install a forwarder for the domain and to request the move of the domain name to the new provider. This worked fine several time with other domains. It didn't work this time. ****.
I know, there would also have been options: We could have moved everything to a brand new server at an unknown provider, hoping that the >350.000 posts board will work w/o problems, and then move the domain, hoping that we don't get offline for a few days. Ahem.

2) It's easy to demonstrate that OOTP Developments is not cheating .400 with this domain name issue: if we would have wanted to do so (which would have been pretty silly IMO) why did we install the forwarder?
No, it's like Scott says above, the provider is slow and that's all about it. I'll call him again today, but he's allways telling me "this is a standard procedure, it's in the database, a 'robot' program will do it, we cannot do anything manually". Well, it's a dedicated server, but a managed one... We've tried the procedure with the totalprofootball and -basketball domains, and it worked much better...

We can only hope that the domain name will move now!

Hey, and we wish .400 all the best for their upcoming games.
And most of all: we wish all of you great games, brought to you by .400 and OOTP Developments!

Andreas Raht
OOTP Developments

Last edited by Andreas Raht : 08-01-2003 at 01:02 AM.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:36 AM   #124
Andreas Raht
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Just be patient. My prediction of Thursday or Friday still stands.

What do I get if I'm right?

Free ITP, Free ITP, Free ITP oh and Free TBCB, Free TBCB, Free TBCB.

Hehehehehhehehehehe

Skippy

I'll give you a free TBCB license if it works on Friday
Promised.
I guess those providers don't understand each other... And yes, it's a domain transfer. And no, we couldn't change the IP, it's a dedicated, but managed server which doesn't offer this (simple) feature.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:29 PM   #125
Swaggs
Coordinator

What is TBCB?

I thought it was Tournament Dreams College Baseketball...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:30 PM   #126
Andreas Raht
OOTP Developments

It's Title Bout Championship Boxing.
More info at www.ootpdevelopments.com/tb/

Last edited by Andreas Raht : 08-01-2003 at 12:32 PM.