QuikSand
lolzcat

File update #2 of 2
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:23 PM   #103
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some possible targets for our first round pick:

The aforementioned G Tyrell Brandon is there, and is very appealing – excellent run block potential, great affinity with the current squad leader. Possibly a reach for that position, but would be a fit at a (future) need position.

If DE is our top need spot, there are several decent-but-not-great guys available. The best pure DE is probably Malcolm Hett who looks like a solid B-grade guy in every aspect. Jermaine Gossett is more of a run-stopper, but could be pretty good, too. There are several other guys who will go with fairly early picks.

Nominally a DT, Jeffrey Benoot is a consideration, too. He’s 297 lbs and may have to stay inside, but looks like a pretty solid all-around player for the DL, who might let us move one of our current DTs to the outside.

There are linebackers all over the place, inside and out. R.J. Walters looks like a potentially dominant pass rusher, and probably the best of the outside backers. Buddy Middleton leads the class at MLB, and is likely a star in the making. Either one might be a bit undersized to play DE, but might be able to make the transition (though that is a bit risky with such a high selection, these guys probably have more upside than anyone I see listed at DE).

There are some quality CBs in the mix as well – maybe not great for our man-coverage based system, though. TE Larry Wylie would be a great addition, but I don’t know if we had considered going this early at that spot.

Caveat – I have yet to evaluate chemistry issues with any of these players other than G Brandon… so there may be some guys who have to come off the consideration list on those grounds.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:37 PM   #104
QuikSand
lolzcat

CB Rickey Hanks, a pretty solid-looking corner who would certainly develop into a starter for us, is OUT due to a personality conflict with our secondary leader.

WR Carlton Jones, certainly the best wideout on the board (pretty darned good) is OUT due to a personality conflict as well.

DE Malcolm Hett is OUT, but DT Jeffrey Benoot would have an AFFINTY with DE Martin.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #105
Buzzbee
College Starter

Good work Quik. Thanks for taking us through that with such descriptive commentary.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 PM   #106
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quick positional summary:

Positions taken in the first 20 picks:

RB - 4 (14, 16, 17, & 20)
WR - 3 (all in the top ten)
DT - 2 (2nd & 4th overall)
T - 2 (3rd & 8th)
S - 2 (7 & 12)
OLB - 2 (9 & 18)
QB - 2 (13 & 15)
DE - 1 (5th)
ILB - 1 (11th)
G - 1 (19th)

Good for us since we weren't planning on taking a QB, RB, or WR early. Leaves us with a lot of options. I don't see a huge benefit of trading up. There are enough options for us, and no one dominant can't pass up player (based on what Quik has posted). I'm not opposed to forgo trading up and simming down to our pick.

How does G Brandon compare with G Fuller taken with the 19th pick? Is there a lot of depth at G? Those answers might dictate if there is going to be a run on G's, or if Brandon might slip to us in the 2nd, or if we can accept possibly losing out on Brandon for another G.

I'd like to shore up the D-Line, but am also of the belief that selecting the best player available at a need spot is a good way to draft.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:33 PM   #107
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Okay, I can't get to the game for a while so my input will just be in geneal terms.

O needs.

Need a guy who can catch in a TE slot. It would make sence for him to be a TE, but a FB would do. If there were a top shelf type TE (block and catch) I can assure you he would be put to good use. That good use would at the expense of our FB, but I think that is ok.

T who can serve as a backup, perhaps with an eye to start in a year or so. We are going to need a guy here anyway to have a legit roster.

Wants
Another QB prospect. I would like to see one a year come in.

RBs. I would like two more on the team by week 1. Whatever we can get is fine.

WR for depth or to bump Matthews. Perhaps a STer in the Duran mold if one turns up.

G: already talked about. if we don't get one we don't get one

----
Perhaps we reach a little and get a solid K and or P for the future.

----

If the team feels that the top picks need to go to the D then do so without worrying about the OC getting crabby.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:38 PM   #108
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
dola - of course Iwould say take the TE at 1, but LB would help the D out a bunch and might get albionmoonlight in a position to transition to a 3-4 at some point.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:57 PM   #109
QuikSand
lolzcat

In my opinion, the guy to take with this selection is LB Buddy Middleton. His current ratings make him a very valuable contributor right away - we'd get him onto the field in a hurry. While he doesn't carry enough weight to make an easy transition to the DE slot, I'm sure he'd switch to an OLB slot just fine. From there, we could liberally use him as a DE - even make him a full-time starter there, if we desire. My expectation is that he would outperform at DE any of the "natural" DEs in this draft. I like him better than R.J. Walters, who is the next best linebacker on the board, by a pretty comfortable margin -- I think he is the true standout here. Over the course of a year or two, he may well become one of our very best players. He'll be neutral with our current team leader.

My best guess is that in round two, we will end up looking at an OL as the "best player available" among our need areas.

The only reservation I have is that G Tyrell Brandon is such a perfect fit for us, it's hard to pass him up. We have openly called for a run-proficient guard to cultivate to become an anchor for our line -- and here is the perfct guy for the job, with the perfect ingredients to add to our chemistry soup. It's tough to pass that up, I think.

We have to imagine that Brandon will be gone by our second round pick - the first OG already went, so he ought to go fairly soon, I'd guess.

With plenty of playable LBs and DEs sitting in the draft... does it make more sense to get the "perfect fit" guy here, and then take another solid guy in round two (DE or LB, whichever looks better)?

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-17-2003 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:01 PM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

As a refresher, and to keep it available:

Code:
The four affinity groups are: Aries, Gemini, Scorpio Sagittarius, Leo, Virgo Pisces, Taurus, Cancer Aquarius, Libra, Capricorn And the six pairs of opposed signs are: Aries - Aquarius Taurus - Libra Gemini - Virgo Scorpio - Pisces Capricorn - Leo Cancer – Sagittarius

And our CURRENT position leaders:

Code:
FB - Kowalski - Aquarius - Backfield Leader TE - Diana - Taurus - Receivers Leader LT - Johns - Aquarius - Offensive Line Leader LDE - Martin - Taurus - Defensive Front Leader SS - Hawkins - Cancer - Secondary Leader

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-17-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #111
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

now i wish we did not pick up Johns last season. ug, I hate him
Old 09-17-2003, 08:13 PM   #112
Buzzbee
College Starter

The three I would consider (in no particular order):

TE - Larry Wylie
In my opinion he is the best player left on the board. Fritz says he wants a TE. Here is his TE.

Run Blocking 56/96
Pass Blocking 15/62
Blocking Strength 51
Avoid Drops 60
Getting Downfield 64/75
Route Running 58/95
Third Down Catchin 39/70
Courage 20/54
Adjust to Ball 29/67
Avoid Fumbles 57/96
Endurance 100
Special Teams 32/60

LB - Buddy Middleton
Ditto what QS said. His numbers:

Run Defense		14/48
Pass Rush Tech 56/95
Man to Man 21/56
Zone 53/95
Bump N Run 63
Pass Rush Str 74
Play Diagnosis 43/82
Punishing Hitter 72
Endurance 44/58
Special Teams 38/52

RG - Tyrell Brandon
Ditto QS again. However, he is a fan favorite, which is a double edged sword, more fannies in the seats, but higher salary.

Run Blocking		9/94
Pass Blocking 3/50
Blocking Strength 85
Endurance 18/36

I'm leaning toward Middleton or Wylie. Brandon seems like a "perfect fit" but I think there are enough serviceable G's to allow us to pass on him. He also doesn't have "great" Current ratings and would be a project. Middleton or Wylie would be impact players NOW. Wylie is Acquarius and I believe would be neutra (he is not a Libra, but is in the same affinity group, but I don't think that matters.

However, I'm open to any of the three or other alternatives if presented.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 09-17-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #113
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I dont trust those all green guys in the first round
Old 09-17-2003, 08:45 PM   #114
Buzzbee
College Starter

So I'm guessing that means you are a little averse to Brandon?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:51 PM   #115
Buzzbee
College Starter

If you have Word 2000, here is a file with screen prints of the three players, in case the visualization will help.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:41 PM   #116
QuikSand
lolzcat

I just wish I had a better sense of what Fritz has in mind here.

Our rules say that TE Diana has to be the starter at TE. (We may have already traversed into the letter/spirit issue here, but I'll leave that aside for now) We are already heavily invested in FB Rubble, who is getting lots of playing time as our "H-back" and getting most of the catches that would ordinarily go to our TE position (Diana gets jack squat).

If we invest top dollar into TE Wylie (who does seem to be a great player), what do we get from this? We have a FB and TE, each making top dollar, and neither of whom can be in the starting lineup. We end up subbing each of them in - in at TE, in at FB, in at RB some... so both get some playing time, I guess.

But how much more do we get from having a star TE and a star FB, rather than just a star FB? Is this about 2TE sets? Who comes off the field in those sets, then? Do we drop a WR to get our 2nd TE aboard?

Anyway - were it not for the fact that we have FB Rubble (who plays a lot of TE, I understand) I'd have no trouble agreeing that TE Wylie is a top candidate here. As it is, I'm not sure what we gain by (in many situations) taking out one star and replacing him with another.

'Splain me, Fritz.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:45 PM   #117
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I dont trust those all green guys in the first round

I can see this as a fair concern with Brandon especially - and it might well be enough to dissuade me from suggesting him as a top candidate. I guess I'm just so in love with the chemistry side of it, i'm losing my focus. I agree - he's rather risky on this account.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:26 AM   #118
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I just wish I had a better sense of what Fritz has in mind here.

Our rules say that TE Diana has to be the starter at TE. (We may have already traversed into the letter/spirit issue here, but I'll leave that aside for now) We are already heavily invested in FB Rubble, who is getting lots of playing time as our "H-back" and getting most of the catches that would ordinarily go to our TE position (Diana gets jack squat).

If we invest top dollar into TE Wylie (who does seem to be a great player), what do we get from this? We have a FB and TE, each making top dollar, and neither of whom can be in the starting lineup. We end up subbing each of them in - in at TE, in at FB, in at RB some... so both get some playing time, I guess.

But how much more do we get from having a star TE and a star FB, rather than just a star FB? Is this about 2TE sets? Who comes off the field in those sets, then? Do we drop a WR to get our 2nd TE aboard?

Anyway - were it not for the fact that we have FB Rubble (who plays a lot of TE, I understand) I'd have no trouble agreeing that TE Wylie is a top candidate here. As it is, I'm not sure what we gain by (in many situations) taking out one star and replacing him with another.

'Splain me, Fritz.

Sure. I view the "starting" rule to mean we slot a guy as the #1 player in a positon. Within a formation I feel free to mix that up, as long as we stay within the "starter" role for some base formations.

In the 2 TE versions of I and Pro (which we use) I had been slotting rubble as TE1, Diana as TE2. This leaves FB1 and RB1. because I have us passing out of this from time to time it woul be nice to have a FB that had hands. I think this is fairly important because I don't see the guy slotted as TE catching passes. If Kowalski is in the backfield, we only have 3 sents of hands on the field that might catch the ball. A pass catching TE would also fit in nicely in the one back formations. Rubble would lose some catches to a new TE, but that might not be a bad thing looking at his workload. More importanly, we have some problems now if Rubble goes out. We can slot Strong as the pass catching FB, but not in the TE slots.

It is just a versitility thing .

Again, if we have a shot at a good player for D that will start, I would take it
Old 09-18-2003, 06:08 AM   #119
QuikSand
lolzcat

That's about what I would have expected, Fritz. Ideally, we could pick up a guy to help here with a middle round pick... I am just not sold that we need to invest our top pick to the "star" TE here - even though I do like the guy.

I'll be away for a while (probably a few days, though I might check in)-- go please do carry on without me. I could support any of our options here with the top pick, and I'm comfy with the general game plan onward.

Tally ho!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:33 AM   #120
Buzzbee
College Starter

Here's a thought, and it might go against the "spirit" of the rule. What if we convert Diana from TE to FB? Diana is no longer our Receivers leader and doesn't have to start. Opens the door for Wylie or Rubble. K-Carr probably becomes the WR leader.

Thoughts? Are we bending the rules too much?
Old 09-18-2003, 06:35 AM   #121
Buzzbee
College Starter

I guess I have really grown to like Wylie. I really like the thought of him and Rubble on the field together. In regard to Middleton, he is a player and I'm sure would do quite well. I just think we're getting a little overloaded at MLB, and Fritz has valid concerns about G Brandon.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:24 AM   #122
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Here's a thought, and it might go against the "spirit" of the rule. What if we convert Diana from TE to FB? Diana is no longer our Receivers leader and doesn't have to start. Opens the door for Wylie or Rubble. K-Carr probably becomes the WR leader.

Thoughts? Are we bending the rules too much?

We don't need to convert Diana to give quality time to another TE. We just need the TE...
Old 09-18-2003, 07:26 AM   #123
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola2 -
I will be out of pocket until Saturday night or more likely Sunday morning. Will be around today and tomorrow, but will not have the game available (tonight maybe).

I'm ok with pressing forward or holding up. Whatever you guys decide.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:29 AM   #124
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I can't move forward and with the Hurrican just starting to lay into us, I might end up off line for a few days.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 AM   #125
Buzzbee
College Starter

Good luck with the hurricane. I hope you and yours come away safe and unaffected.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:49 AM   #126
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm busy at work, so it looks like we all can put it to rest for a few days.

Good luck with the weather, Fritz. Stay safe.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:11 AM   #127
Buzzbee
College Starter

Good morning. QS - I hope you have/had much success in Vegas and make/made it back safely to an undamaged dwelling. Fritz, hope you passed through safely with no serious damage.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:35 PM   #128
Buzzbee
College Starter

I decided to go ahead with the draft based on the feedback that had been given so far. I wanted to progress the game a little so that there would be at least a little progress during the hurricane induced (I'm assuming) lull.

After reviewing the top three that most of us seemed to agree on, I went with TE Wylie. In looking at the three, Wylie seemed to fill two holes. He gives Fritz his desired versatility, but also is a very capable blocker and can bolster the right side of the line. He's no G, but should give us a little more flexibility up front as well. I admit I made a 180 degree turn in moving from favoring the D to favoring the O, but felt Wylie was like Rubble, just too good to pass up.

It ended up paying off because, UNBELIEVABLY, MILB Middleton slid to the second round! So, without even looking at anyone else, I picked him.

I went ahead and simmed down to our third pick. Here are the results:

21. Little Rock - Royster, Marco, T, Boise State
22. Tulsa - Walters, R.J., OLB, North Texas
23. Cheyenne - Gregory, Sammie, RB, Eastern Washington
24. Kitty Hawk - Wylie, Larry, TE, Miami, Florida
25. Texarkana - Gossett, Jermaine, DE, Northwestern
26. Puget Sound - Hett, Malcolm, DE, Iowa State
27. Bermuda - El Nino, Randy, RB, Virginia Tech
28. Fort Knox - Brandon, Tyrell, G, UCLA
29. Key West - Malone, J.C., RB, Rice
30. Louisville - Styles, Randall, T, Pittsburgh
31. Ypsilanti - Prior, Jon, G, Georgia Tech
32. Napa Valley - Rasmussen, Terrell, G, Notre Dame
33. Tulsa - Jones, Carlton, WR, Bowling Green
34. Manhattan - Sampson, Kenny, G, Boise State
35. Thunder Bay - Benoot, Jeffrey, DT, UCLA
36. Ocean City - Harden, Ken, QB, Illinois
37. Fort Wayne - Moss, Harvey, CB, Brigham Young
38. Sacramento - Boatright, Jon, T, Notre Dame
39. Athens - Whalen, Preston, OLB, Tulane
40. Norfolk - Murphy, Dean, WR, Florida
41. Nashua - Lake, Richard, T, Boise State
42. Tijuana - Hanks, Rickey, CB, Virginia
43. Niagara Falls - Harlan, Matt, QB, Texas A&M
44. Wheeling - Ding, Kris, G, Miami, Florida
45. Death Valley - Glover, Omar, T, Brigham Young
46. Pensacola - Barker, Charles, T, Boise State
47. Providence - McWilliams, Jared, T, Wake Forest
48. Lake Erie - Baulig, Zack, WR, Connecticut
49. Champaign - Wakefield, A.J., CB, Georgia Tech
50. Hawk Mountain - Daniels, T.J., OLB, Princeton
51. Sault Ste. Marie - Dawson, Eugene, QB, San Jose State
52. Memphis - Clark, Sean, DT, Arizona
53. Little Rock - Mouton, Nolan, DT, Tulane
54. Champaign - Phillips, Quinn, T, Duke
55. Cheyenne - Mayes, Arnie, DE, Navy
56. Kitty Hawk - Middleton, Buddy, ILB, Tulsa
57. Puget Sound - Ferguson, Broderick, QB, Bowling Green
58. Athens - Wolsic, Nathan, T, Boston College
59. Bermuda - Lee, Thurman, DE, Utah
60. Fort Knox - Necaise, Dean, DE, Northwestern
61. Key West - Knight, Donovan, DT, New Mexico State
62. Mazatlan - Neeley, Richie, CB, Rice
63. Ypsilanti - Osborne, Shane, RB, UCLA
64. Napa Valley - Kuehl, R.J., DT, Virginia Tech
65. Mazatlan - Tyler, Herb, DE, Florida
66. Manhattan - Cash, Calvin, DE, Virginia
67. Thunder Bay - Sullivan, Jimmy, CB, New Mexico State
68. Ocean City - Horton, Junior, DT, Northwestern
69. Fort Wayne - Henry, Darnell, T, Georgia Tech
70. Ypsilanti - Dougherty, Robbie, S, Louisiana - Monroe
71. Athens - Dennis, Byron, CB, Washington
72. Fort Knox - Patton, O.J., S, Michigan
73. Nashua - Hitchcock, Xavier, WR, Iowa State
74. Tijuana - Berry, Jay, OLB, Maryland
75. Niagara Falls - Conway, Dexter, T, Delaware
76. Wheeling - Hill, Nolan, G, UCLA
77. Death Valley - Sawyer, Wayne, CB, Akron
78. Pensacola - Stevens, Carlos, S, Central Florida
79. Providence - Thomas, Nicky, CB, Louisville
81. Champaign - Osborne, Ricky, WR, Ohio State
82. Hawk Mountain - Bongiovanni, George, G, Utah
83. Sault Ste. Marie - Sawyer, Norman, T, Notre Dame
84. Memphis - Romanowski, Shannon, OLB, Notre Dame
85. Little Rock - Cheatham, Ross, OLB, Florida
86. Tulsa - Owens, Ed, G, Ohio State
87. Cheyenne - Lane, Moe, WR, Penn State

Last edited by Buzzbee : 09-22-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #129
Buzzbee
College Starter

Here are the files. Let me know if there are any problems.
File update #1 of #2

Last edited by Buzzbee : 09-22-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #130
Buzzbee
College Starter

File update #2 of #2
Old 09-22-2003, 10:36 PM   #131
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks for the update, Buzzbee. Mrs. Q and I returned this evening to dfind our home just as we found it, minus a very few small things. No worries at all.

I'm thrilled with the first two picks in the draft - unbelievable that LB Middleton fell to round two.

On first glance at the draft so far (before I go get some much-needed shuteye) here's my initil question: how long do we think RB R.J. Harden will stay on the board? He looks like a solid, versatile RB (maybe guys liike him are a dime a dozen in the game) but we have a vacancy at 3rd RB, and he might be a great fit. Will he slide into the late rounds, like the similar guys did last season? Or do we consider him here?

More in the a.m.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:35 AM   #132
Buzzbee
College Starter

Yeah, I was amazed as well! G Brandon went soon after our pick and I was just waiting for Middleton to go, but he never did.

My thoughts:

The pickin's are starting to get pretty slim, talentwise. Most of the better players left are in positions that we don't necessarily want to take this early (K, P) or don't need at all (C, FB).

In looking at our roster, here are the need positions as I see it:

K, P, DE, WR, OLman (T or G or both)

Wants:
CB, RB (could re-sign Withers or Strong if pressed), 4th QB, backup SS, DT?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #133
Buzzbee
College Starter

Ok, in looking at the players remaining, my thoughts:

I think there are enough RB's that somebody will slide, and if they don't we can re-sign Withers or Atkins. Also, we might sign an undrafted FB and conver them if needed. As a result, I'd prefer not to use a 3rd pick on a RB.

There are a couple of positions that still have decent players and I think we might want to focus on these. They are WR, CB and S. Also drafting a C and converting to G might be plausible as well. As a result, my suggestions:

FL - Percy Davidson - Taurus - Affinity with WR leader Diana (Taurus) He has reds in the teens and twenties in most categories. Greens above 50 in all but Big Play & Adjust to ball. Could become a solid receiver if he holds. Downside: pretty even across the board in red and green which scares me (bust?). Also, he has high leadership (79) which could cause problems if he is a bust since current leader Diana only has 80.

FL - Brady McEachern - Gemini (neutral) - Similar to Davidson above, but more red and less green. Less bust potential IMO. Could develop into a good 3rd or maybe even 2nd receiver. Low leadership, so no worries there.

FL - J.C. Lewis - Taurus - Affinity with WR leader Diana. VERY similar to Davidson above. Well rounded, moderate red, green above 50 in all but Big Play & Adjust. Likewise, I fear a bust. Lower leadership (49) and stronger personality (89).

RCB - Myron Bullock - Capricorn (neutral) - Solid potential, above 50 in all but Play Diag & Punish Hitter. Eveness of potential makes me wary of bust. Potential to be moderately good returner.

LCB - Dominic Holliday - Capricorn (neutral) - Also like Bullock, has green in 50's for all but Bump N Run & Punish Hitter. Less red than Bullock, but more potential in M2M, Run Def, & Zone. Also moderately good return potential. Potential downside - Leadership = Very High (90).

LCB - Phil Prescott - Virgo (neutral) Different than the first two. Significantly more red, mostly in Punish, Intercept, Punt, Kick (52,52,50,57 respectively). Less potential in the defenses (run, M2M, zone). Again, leadership potential problem - 88.

RCB Shannon Mudgett is also a possiblity but for some reason wasn't as attractive.

SS - Walt Foley - Capricorn (neutral) In the teens for red bars, in the 50's for green bars (except Punishing Hitter). Could develop into a very solid, well rounded player. Again, eveness of ratings scares me. Also, very high leadership (82).

FS - Marc Wahl - Scorpio (neutral) More jagged in his ratings. Weaknesses are Zone & Punish, strong in areas we like, Run Def, M2M, BNR. Especially strong in INT and ENDurance. Leadership High at 68, so little concern there.

For consideration:
C - Muarice Cajigal Gemini (neutral) Good blocking strength, some red, and pretty good green for run and pass. Might convert well to a G. 6-2, 300 lb so may be a little undersized for a G. Very High Leadership (85)

LG - Chad Stuart Aquarius (Affinity with Johns - Aquarius) The more I look, the more I like this guy. Good potential in pass and rush. Good red already in Block Strength. Low leadership of 20, so no concern there. Weak personality though (2).

Ok, I think I've overkilled this enough.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:39 AM   #134
QuikSand
lolzcat

A few guys to look at...

MLB Howie Boyd looks like he'd be a contributor at LB, decent skills against teh run, but pretty solid all around and potentially very good in zone coverage. Great on special teams, too. Has decent size to shift to outside, if needed, I think. Chemistry neutral. In the same position group, LB Percy Rapp looks like a LB/S 'tweener - excelent cover man, decent in a pure LB role. Remember when the Bears drafted a guy like that a few years ago?

RB Dennis Rivers looks like a useful all-around back, with a high rating in "elusiveness." In a draft full of middling RB prospectd, he stands out a bit because of his all-around skills, and his potential for strong affinity in the backfield group. His 64 leadership probably wouldn't make him a position leader at any point, either.

At WR, there are a few middling options - reserve-quality guys, really. Mack McCormick is a great pujtn returner, and an occasional game-breaker type - but probably not a reliable every-down receiver. (Nice reserve flanker, I think) Harvey Glenn could be a third down target and help in the return game, too. Harvey Carpenter is an affinity guy with sure hands and some pretty decent underneath skills (can work over the middle, I think) - but be wary of his 88 rating in leadership - he could become our position leader, forcing him to be a starter. (Aside - isn't it weird how every well-conceived house rule eventually turns into some perverse incentive?)

Along the OL, I don't see a lot to like here. C Korey aliabadi looks to have big potential in run blocking, and would be an affinity guy as well. He might make sense - especially if he might make a move to guard. At 293 lbs, I think he could do it, but he'd probably lose something in the switch - so if we take him, we probably need to be prepared for him to be slotted as a center (which makes any OL less palatable).
Old 09-23-2003, 08:44 AM   #135
QuikSand
lolzcat

From a metagame perspective, I tend to shy away from the receivers you describe above, Buzzbee. WRd Davidson and McEachern both have very similar patterns to their ratings - pretty flat reds, with pretty uniform greens showing. My guess is that both of those guys will quickly be exposed as having practically no growth potential at all.

I prefer guys like WR Carpenter or Glenn - guys with uneven ratings, real strengths and weaknesses, and at least a few ratings that are already strong in red. Basically, I believe you cantake teh red ratings to the bank, and then you look at the green with some doubt - much more so if the greens look to be too uniform.

Just a general FWIW.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:48 AM   #136
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Wants: RB (could re-sign Withers or Strong if pressed)

Just an FYI - RB Rob Strong is already signed for this year and next - he signed a three year deal when drafted last season. So, we are two deep at RB already - our need/want is for a third back.

The two guys from last year's roster who remain unsigned are Luke Withers and Brett Atkins. Withers is expecting some real money, I think, but Atkins would be cheap.

Might have just been some name confusion, but I wanted to settle that - since we have had some discussion about RB Rob Strong's role in the offense already. I didn't want anyone to think that he might not be around.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:51 AM   #137
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

hey kids,

I am all blown up. No juice or intrnet at the house and I am only at work part time. I may be unvailable for the near future.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 AM   #138
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hope you're getting through okay, Fritz. My family down that way ae just getting back up and running... hope you're not far behind.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:16 AM   #139
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Glad to hear that you are safe, Fritz.

Perhaps we should stay on hiatus until Fritz is back up and running. If we do decide to finish the draft at least, I would not be adverse to picking up some LB depth.

I am cool with however we decide to run things.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #140
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

By all means finish the draft and pick up the round out rooks. I can work with whatever makes it on the roster. Just remember that I that I like 4QBs and 4RBs when possible. The 4QBs is really just to keep us from having to sign one if we lose a guy.

----

My neighborhood has little sturctural damage, but is in bad shape. Allmost every house lost a tree or two, with most of them falling across power lines and blocking the road.

The roads are passable now, but power has not been restored to this part of the region.

It could be worse. One of my co-workers had the bay go into his house to a depth of 2 feet. The house he lives in (a rental) is totaled. Most of his stuff has been destroyed, and 2 of his cars have been ruined.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:47 AM   #141
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

note to all:

Please rememberto look at leadership strength as we start selecting role players. It would suck to have to keep a marginal palyer on the roster and in a starting slot becuase we happened to pick up a guy with a 99 leadership to fill depth.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:01 AM   #142
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
From a metagame perspective, I tend to shy away from the receivers you describe above, Buzzbee. WRd Davidson and McEachern both have very similar patterns to their ratings - pretty flat reds, with pretty uniform greens showing. My guess is that both of those guys will quickly be exposed as having practically no growth potential at all.

I prefer guys like WR Carpenter or Glenn - guys with uneven ratings, real strengths and weaknesses, and at least a few ratings that are already strong in red. Basically, I believe you cantake teh red ratings to the bank, and then you look at the green with some doubt - much more so if the greens look to be too uniform.

Just a general FWIW.

I agree with you. That is why I mentioned bust potential in my summaries. However, it isn't a guarantee that they will bust. I'm not particularly hot for any of these players. Just wanted to bring them out for discussion, such as you did above.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:02 AM   #143
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Just an FYI - RB Rob Strong is already signed for this year and next - he signed a three year deal when drafted last season. So, we are two deep at RB already - our need/want is for a third back.

The two guys from last year's roster who remain unsigned are Luke Withers and Brett Atkins. Withers is expecting some real money, I think, but Atkins would be cheap.

Might have just been some name confusion, but I wanted to settle that - since we have had some discussion about RB Rob Strong's role in the offense already. I didn't want anyone to think that he might not be around.

Yes, name confusion. Meant Atkins, typed Strong.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:09 AM   #144
Buzzbee
College Starter

I've seen LB mentioned as a possiblity with this pick. I think we have enough depth at LB for the moment. Just drafted Middleton, have Shon and our star (can't remember his name). And didn't we pick up a MLB as a Free Agent? If Middleton holds, I think we are ok at LB other than picking up a roster filler in case of injury. IMO there are other areas that we need to address before LB.

Our scouts rating and LB concerns me a little. Middleton did drop to the second round and our scout is only "fair" I think. I expect his ratings to end up a little lower after camp, but still think he will be good.

Just think we need some depth in other areas. A better option at nickelback. More depth on the OL. A needed DE (although there ain't much there).

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #145
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's the current roster, just to help out with names and to refresh memories on where we are:

Code:
Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition Kitty Hawk Flyers Roster, Scout Overview Player # Pos Exp Current Estimate Future Estimate Cntrct OnTeam Sparks, Heath 18 QB 7 42 42 1 yr. 2020 Hutchins, Chuck 17 QB 8 37 41 1 yr. 2020 Tittle, Bennie 13 QB 2 13 40 2 yrs. 2020 Finley, Daniel 20 RB 4 58 58 3 yrs. 2018 Withers, Luke 41 RB 2 35 44 --- 2020 Strong, Rob 24 RB 2 32 39 2 yrs. 2020 Atkins, Brett 25 RB 2 28 32 --- 2020 Rubble, Earnest 39 FB 2 58 63 3 yrs. 2020 Kowalski, Rondell 36 FB 12 24 25 1 yr. 2020 Wylie, Larry 86 TE 1 46 72 5 yrs. 2021 Diana, Julio 80 TE 13 34 35 1 yr. 2019 Wayne, Bernard 82 TE 4 25 42 1 yr. 2020 Quick, Bert 8 TE 2 18 33 --- 2020 Song, Peter 84 FL 3 44 53 4 yrs. 2019 Carr, Kenneth 81 FL 9 40 41 2 yrs. 2020 Sanderson, Robert 83 FL 2 29 45 3 yrs. 2020 Matthews, Julio 88 FL 4 22 37 1 yr. 2020 Rheams, Corwin 85 SE 8 34 34 --- 2020 Andrews, Willie 65 LT 12 62 62 3 yrs. 2018 Johns, Timothy 61 LT 7 38 50 1 yr. 2020 Reese, Bernie 66 LT 2 24 35 --- 2020 Hausermann, Dave 72 LG 6 34 41 1 yr. 2020 Winters, R.J. 54 C 14 76 77 2 yrs. 2012 Cicci, Carlton 60 C 2 34 48 --- 2020 Perry, Lewis 57 C 3 23 33 1 yr. 2019 Peterson, Rufus 68 RG 3 34 44 1 yr. 2019 Otis, Les 67 RG 4 25 36 --- 2020 Wallace, Irv 71 RG 3 18 51 2 yrs. 2021 Kinsey, Lincoln 4 P 3 38 38 --- 2020 Beattie, Mickey 1 K 2 43 46 --- 2020 Martin, Cedric 78 LDE 11 57 63 2 yrs. 2018 Peters, Ellis 70 LDT 8 35 35 2 yrs. 2020 Littlejohn, Jack 77 RDT 3 37 41 3 yrs. 2019 Armstrong, Stan 75 RDT 2 14 26 --- 2020 Beecroft, Phillip 91 RDE 5 28 38 2 yrs. 2021 Emerson, Geoff 76 RDE 3 25 33 --- 2019 Mills, J.J. 50 SLB 9 41 41 1 yr. 2020 Wynn, Leslie 99 SLB 2 21 31 --- 2020 Daniels, Russell 96 MLB 7 66 66 3 yrs. 2020 Shon, Desmond 52 MLB 9 44 46 1 yr. 2020 Plank, Oscar 56 MLB 6 30 42 2 yrs. 2021 Wilson, Roy 93 MLB 2 16 31 --- 2020 Middleton, Buddy 98 WILB 1 41 65 4 yrs. 2021 Gillespie, Sammy 90 WLB 2 26 38 --- 2020 Chilton, Riddick 51 WLB 3 23 34 3 yrs. 2021 Henderson, Joseph 42 LCB 6 50 52 2 yrs. 2020 Duran, Luther 28 LCB 2 23 41 3 yrs. 2020 Devitt, Cornell 32 LCB 3 20 49 3 yrs. 2021 Dole, Orlando 46 LCB 2 15 22 --- 2020 Bordano, Edgar 29 RCB 4 58 68 2 yrs. 2018 Perry, Shane 35 RCB 6 34 42 2 yrs. 2021 Drake, Spencer 38 RCB 5 20 31 --- 2020 Hawkins, Ricky 33 SS 11 50 50 2 yrs. 2020 Reynolds, Louie 30 FS 12 46 46 2 yrs. 2018 McNair, Orlando 45 FS 2 34 62 2 yrs. 2020 $$ - player is in starting lineup, ## - player is inactive. Players Under Contract: 39 On Active Roster: 39 Salary Cap: $174,300,000 Cap Room: $25,310,000 Maximum for New Player: $21,830,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $18,610,000 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $6,030,000 Cap Room Required Next Year: $126,580,000
Old 09-23-2003, 10:34 AM   #146
QuikSand
lolzcat

At LB, we currently are on OLB short of a legal starting roster, but I anticipate a switch of our top draft pick Middleton (probably to the Sam slot) which woudl give us the minimum 2 inside and 4 outside. LB Desmond Shon, our current weak-side starter, is out of contract after this season, and probably cannot be re-signed. Same goes for curretn starter J.J. Mills (though he might be a possible re-sign, as he may not attract much attention on th FA market) We did sign versatile LB Oscar Plank, who looks to be a pretty solid #4 backer, overall.

So - I agree, we're in pretty good shape at LB, assuming Middleton works out well. After this season, we might have an open spot - but we've found free agents who are passable.

Can I make the case for drafting a potential starting-caliber LB here? Sure. Next season we may be under a huge cap crunch - and having a guy making just over minsal (3rd round contract) as a starter for us is a huge money-saver. That's worth something more than getting a depth chart filler here just to go for a "need" position.

That's why I think Howie Boyd is a serious consideration here. If he pans out, he'll be a better player than Oscar Plank, and probably should be capable of stpping in to start next year.

I don't see anyone else left in this draft who looks like a potential starter for us -- just guys who fill the ever-present "need" spots of reserve-level WR, single-skill player, and utility man. So, that's my thinking here... I don't see anyone in the draft who, without a big surprise breakout, will be much of anything more than a roster filler. A couple of guys at LB and RB seem to be the exception to that, and it seems that RB are a dime a dowen in these draft files... leading me to think that we take a non-need position here, hoping to get a starter.

Buzzbee's well-placed concern about our scout (buoyed by the fact that Middleton dropped) makes me think this is a risky pick - maybe Boyd would bust. If so, we've lost a third round pick... but in terms of opportunity cost, I don't see that as too much.

edit - added critical word "after"

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-23-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:39 AM   #147
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just adding to thoughts from above... I'm not sure that we really have any bona fide "holes" in our current roster - so I don't think we're necessarily drafting for this year here. If there's a spot where we need help right away, it's probably on the DL... and drafting guys who slot at OLB can help there, at least on the outside.

Where else are we drafting a player who might see much field time this year? RB 3? WR 4/5? Maybe an OL?

So, in that vein - I guess we're mostly looking for decent roster fillers and anyone with some potential tobe useful next season and beyond.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #148
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

K?
P?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #149
Buzzbee
College Starter

I didn't realize Shon was out of contract. In previous discussions I thought we planned to move him to OLB for the upcoming season and therefore assumed he was under contract. If Shon IS out of contract, then I can certainly support a LB with this pick since everywhere else seems pretty slim.

What about Boyd's Chemistry and leadership?

K & P are DEFINITE need areas. Seems like K & P's usually start going in late 3rd to 4th round. I'm not opposed to picking up a solid contributor in the kicking game. FG's last year did leave a little to be desired and I can think of at least ONE game that we lost to a conference rival (Bermuda Barons, 1st game) as one that we could have won with a better kicking game. A good K can put points on the board, and a good P can help win the field position games.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #150
Buzzbee
College Starter

Also, QS - can you edit your roster posting to eliminate those players (Shon?) that we are definitely/probably not going to re-sign?

That might help identify true "need" areas (filling minimum numbers) for later picks.