Does PureSim export to OOTP as well?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #102
Zippo
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I think PureSim allows to import OOTP leagues, so Franklin is not too far off base here.
No, I don't think that went through.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #103
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I think to be accurate it would be as follows:

Sony making their Betamax compatible with VHS tapes.
Apple making their DRM compatible with Windows portables.

Doing one would inhibit their ability to make inroads into another area.

Sony lost their asses on Betamax... that was my point... their proprietary format got killed.

Apple has been bitten by their proprietary format before, but making iTunes for Windows was smart. Now I can buy an IPod without having to own a Mac.

Same here - I want to be able to buy BBCF without having to give up my FOF.

Chances are, I'd give the Grey Dog pro football product a shot, too... but I see no drawback to making the products play nice together - especially since it's a simple thing to generate a .csv file.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #104
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I think PureSim allows to import OOTP leagues, so Franklin is not too far off base here.

its was an idea. and Markus from ootp told him not to do it. and he said ok.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #105
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Sony lost their asses on Betamax... that was my point... their proprietary format got killed.

Apple has been bitten by their proprietary format before, but making iTunes for Windows was smart. Now I can buy an IPod without having to own a Mac.

Same here - I want to be able to buy BBCF without having to give up my FOF.

Chances are, I'd give the Grey Dog pro football product a shot, too... but I see no drawback to making the products play nice together - especially since it's a simple thing to generate a .csv file.
I would think it'd be trickier than it would seem just because the ratings could be different and the way the engines work could be completely different. Businesswise, it'd make sense because both games have the same fanbase. I'd think many or even most people that own one will own both. I doubt it'll ever happen, though.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #106
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm wishing you all the best Arles. And with Wheels at the helm on the graphics, you can't go wrong. I know a couple of screenshots means nothing in the long run, but it looks very promising!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #107
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm wishing you all the best Arles. And with Wheels at the helm on the graphics, you can't go wrong. I know a couple of screenshots means nothing in the long run, but it looks very promising!
Of course, there's one problem with the screenies: recruiting not happening in-season. I understand Arlie's reasons for doing it this way, but it isn't going to feel realistic at all this way.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #108
Icy
Pro Starter

Good news from GDS, i'm already counting the days to 3rd quarter!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #109
Easy Mac

yeah, not too keen on that skydog
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #110
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Of course, there's one problem with the screenies: recruiting not happening in-season. I understand Arlie's reasons for doing it this way, but it isn't going to feel realistic at all this way.

No, it will be better. Spending long periods dealing with recruiting during the season might be "realistic," but it certainly was a fun killer. And honestly, signing day is a month after the last bowl game. It isn't totally unrealistic to put much of the recruiting emphasis after the season is over.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I can understand Arlie's possible reasons for doing this as well, but this might be a deal breaker for me. I think a good college football sim needs in-season recruiting.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #112
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I can understand Arlie's possible reasons for doing this as well, but this might be a deal breaker for me. I think a good college football sim needs in-season recruiting.

If you'll notice the way it is broken down, it does have in season recruiting (starting in the 10th week, and going to three weeks after the championship game).
Old 04-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
No, it will be better. Spending long periods dealing with recruiting during the season might be "realistic," but it certainly was a fun killer. And honestly, signing day is a month after the last bowl game. It isn't totally unrealistic to put much of the recruiting emphasis after the season is over.

That piece of realism is a big part of my suspension of disbelief that I look for in a good immersive sports sim. I think TCY's recruiting was a fun killer for some because it was so prevalent and relatively time consuming, but I think no in season recruiting would be a mistake. Why can't there be a balance of some in-season recruiting with a period after the season to finish off the recruiting?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #114
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If you'll notice the way it is broken down, it does have in season recruiting (starting in the 10th week, and going to three weeks after the championship game).

I think that is referring to weeks 10-19 of the offseason.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #115
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That piece of realism is a big part of my suspension of disbelief that I look for in a good immersive sports sim. I think TCY's recruiting was a fun killer for some because it was so prevalent and relatively time consuming, but I think no in season recruiting would be a mistake. Why can't there be a balance of some in-season recruiting with a period after the season to finish off the recruiting?

Notice post above this one. By the timetable, there is in-season recruiting.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #116
Easy Mac

i greatly enjoyed in season recruiting.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #117
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
I think that is referring to weeks 10-19 of the offseason.

You may be right. Not the way I read it. Oh, well. I still prefer the focus of recruiting outside of the season.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #118
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We cross-posted, I read your post after I posted mine. I still think earlier recruiting is an important part of the process.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #119
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We cross-posted, I read your post after I posted mine. I still think earlier recruiting is an important part of the process.

We disagree then. I hated recruiting in TCY with the passion of 1,000 suns. I thought it (and lack of playcalling) severely took away from the immersion factor of TCY, and made the game one I played very little. Heck, BM annoys the crap out of me, and I've played it longer than TCY, and I'm a much bigger college football fan.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #120
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Intersting point.

The season doesn't end until week 21 and off-season recruiting is weeks 10-19.

I think we will need a clarification on how this works.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #121
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Intersting point.

The season doesn't end until week 21 and off-season recruiting is weeks 10-19.

I think we will need a clarification on how this works.

Looking at it again, I think I was wrong.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #122
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

And that will be the one reason why I will be buying this game.

SD, why the grouchiness in this thread?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #123
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
We disagree then. I hated recruiting in TCY with the passion of 1,000 suns. I thought it (and lack of playcalling) severely took away from the immersion factor of TCY, and made the game one I played very little. Heck, BM annoys the crap out of me, and I've played it longer than TCY, and I'm a much bigger college football fan.

I could care less about play-calling but agree with the recruiting process. I didn't like it. In the real world, there is a lot of time during the week to deal with your current team and deal with your future team (recruiting).

In game it happens so fast it's kind of a let down to have to switch back and forth, especially when you are winning. I would not be opposed to seeing it seperated, at all.

In a perfect world, the player might even be given the option.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #124
Ben E Lou

Quote:
It isn't totally unrealistic to put much of the recruiting emphasis after the season is over.
Yes, it is. Kids are being recruited NOW for next February's signing day. Junior days have already happened at several (if not all) SEC schools. *Tons* of recruits are heading to the G-Day game in Athens this weekend, and a bunch were there watching practice last weekend. Texas already has 16 verbals. Most top-tier teams will have 16-20 verbals by the time the season starts. The December-February period may have a few blue-chippers left in it, but most of the big schools will have their classes 70-90% full by then. For big schools, Dec-Feb. is spent mainly making sure all those verbals don't de-commit, and then focusing on the small handful of target guys left. I like the FBCB model of having a continuous calendar, especially for college football:

January 2005: finish Bowl (or playoff) section, recruiting for 2005 Signing Day

February 2005: Signing day, underclassmen declare for NFL Draft

March 2005: 2006 Junior Days, visits to high schools, verbal commits for Class of 2006 begin

April 2005: spring practice (work on new formations, some particularly smart incoming signees already enrolled in school and can practice, getting a boost in development, chance of injuries if you decide to have a spring game, but if you DO have one, can increase alumni donations and loyalty, injured players like Kregg Lumpkin get minimal/no boost in development)

May 2005: visits to high school spring practices to evaluate players (can't tell you how many guys I saw at Tucker's spring practice last year), find out if your returning players remain academically eligible for 2006

June 2005: summer training for current players and incoming freshmen, host summer camps for high schools (BIG boost in both propensity to sign with you and in accurate evaluation of talent)

July 2005: practice begins for fall, players can potentially get injured (see Kregg Lumpkin again), first "accurate" evaluation of football skills of incoming freshmen, more high school summer camps to woo/evaluate 2006 recruits

August-December 2005: play games and host official visits
Old 04-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #125
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
And that will be the one reason why I will be buying this game.

SD, why the grouchiness in this thread?
Not sure where I'm grouchy... I haven't posted that much, have I?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #126
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing that happens, but TCY didn't show that, either.
I know. That's one of my two primary beefs with it.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #127
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yes, it is. Kids are being recruited NOW for next February's signing day. Junior days have already happened at several (if not all) SEC schools. *Tons* of recruits are heading to the G-Day game in Athens this weekend, and a bunch were there watching practice last weekend. Texas already has 16 verbals. Most top-tier teams will have 16-20 verbals by the time the season starts. The December-February period may have a few blue-chippers left in it, but most of the big schools will have their classes 70-90% full by then. For big schools, Dec-Feb. is spent mainly making sure all those verbals don't de-commit, and then focusing on the small handful of target guys left. I like the FBCB model of having a continuous calendar, especially for college football:

January 2005: finish Bowl (or playoff) section, recruiting for 2005 Signing Day

February 2005: Signing day, underclassmen declare for NFL Draft

March 2005: 2006 Junior Days, visits to high schools, verbal commits for Class of 2006 begin

April 2005: spring practice (work on new formations, some particularly smart incoming signees already enrolled in school and can practice, getting a boost in development, chance of injuries if you decide to have a spring game, but if you DO have one, can increase alumni donations and loyalty, injured players like Kregg Lumpkin get minimal/no boost in development)

May 2005: visits to high school spring practices to evaluate players (can't tell you how many guys I saw at Tucker's spring practice last year), find out if your returning players remain academically eligible for 2006

June 2005: summer training for current players and incoming freshmen, host summer camps for high schools (BIG boost in both propensity to sign with you and in accurate evaluation of talent)

July 2005: practice begins for fall, players can potentially get injured (see Kregg Lumpkin again), first "accurate" evaluation of football skills of incoming freshmen, more high school summer camps to woo/evaluate 2006 recruits

August-December 2005: play games and host official visits

I'm not disagreeing that happens, but TCY didn't show that, either. So, you're trading one unrealistic model for another. A unrealistic model that allows me to keep in the game versus one that takes away from it is a no brainer to me.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 04-07-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Must be nice being a sports sim programmer. The f'n game isn't much but two screenies and an announcement and already people are saying, "It's a dealbreaker for me for x or x, blah this feature and that feature".

I actually dread having recruiting during the season in TCY. I look foward to getting it done just so I can play a game. Heck FBCB is pretty much done in the offseason unless you can't sign a guy or two.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #129
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I agree with Homer's view. It may be somewhat unrealistic but I guess gamers like compartmentalization to focus on a major task at a time. Playing these types of games does involve some suspension from reality, if not for its abstractness alone, so why not make it better for the gamer to play? FBCB does this very well where from July-Oct is nothing but recruiting. It does overlay into the season a little but most of the recruiting is done before you have to concentrate on training and playing the season.

One of the main beefs I had with TCY was the unrealistic travel model for recruiting (visit costs). I understand why but if I was going to have to do recruiting within season, at least tie them together better. Since it was like playing two different games at the same time, it got to be a drag.

SD, just a perception, sorry.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #130
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I see that Todd said the same thing while I was typing. I have no idea how college hoops recruiting is done in real life. All I know is that the way it is done in FBCB is about perfect for playing the game.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #131
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Lest me not forget that Jim's next game was said to be released around summertime and there's a good chance that it will be TCY 2.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #132
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Must be nice being a sports sim programmer. The f'n game isn't much but two screenies and an announcement and already people are saying, "It's a dealbreaker for me for x or x, blah this feature and that feature".
From my observations, it would seem that now is the *exact* time to be giving this sort of feedback. Given that the only announcement date is "third quarter," it is safe to assume that the game isn't in beta yet. Seems like now's the time to give feedback.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #133
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From my observations, it would seem that now is the *exact* time to be giving this sort of feedback. Given that the only announcement date is "third quarter," it is safe to assume that the game isn't in beta yet. Seems like now's the time to give feedback.

I totally agree.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #134
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Lest me not forget that Jim's next game was said to be released around summertime and there's a good chance that it will be TCY 2.

It is my guess that we will see the same thing in TCY2 as we saw going from FOF4 to FOF5.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #135
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Very true.

As for recruiting, I can't think of an instance (or at least, haven't experienced it) where college recruiting is seperated from the football season part of a simulation. It's something many people have asked for (myself included), so it's all theory on how well it works at this point.

Last edited by Dutch : 04-07-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #136
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
It is my guess that we will see the same thing in TCY2 as we saw going from FOF4 to FOF5.

Perhaps, and wouldn't it be interesting to have a MP College Football League feeding into IHOF?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #137
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps, and wouldn't it be interesting to have a MP College Football League feeding into IHOF?

Just what we need... 117 more elitists...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #138
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I sure he has most of the game engine intact - and thinking of changing the recruiting model might be more work than you think. Although I just wanted to let him know I like his idea better than doing it during the season, I'd rather concentrate on my games.

I didn't mean to come off like an ass, sorry.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #139
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

*mumbles to self*

fucking elitists

Edit: Stupid timestamp bug makes me look like I was late to the punch.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 04-07-2005 at 07:00 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #140
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Just what we need... 117 more elitists...

This reminds me of something brought up in a thread some time ago..

Do you think even this community could support a league of 117 people? I don't know that it could... I don't know that we even have 117 unique individuals playing in FOF Leagues.. sure we have 117 teams, but many of them are one owner with mutiple teams..

This is the potential big downfall of MP imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #141
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I could care less about play-calling but agree with the recruiting process. I didn't like it. In the real world, there is a lot of time during the week to deal with your current team and deal with your future team (recruiting).

In game it happens so fast it's kind of a let down to have to switch back and forth, especially when you are winning. I would not be opposed to seeing it seperated, at all.

In a perfect world, the player might even be given the option.

i agree, i didn't like the switching back and forth between caring about my present team and going after my future team. i think i'd like it the way Arles has it - with recruiting getting its own allotment of attention, and not having to come at the expense of your current season.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #142
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
This reminds me of something brought up in a thread some time ago..

Do you think even this community could support a league of 117 people? I don't know that it could... I don't know that we even have 117 unique individuals playing in FOF Leagues.. sure we have 117 teams, but many of them are one owner with mutiple teams..

This is the potential big downfall of MP imo.

We have almost 50 human owners in the FOFC FBCB league. I think we could easily get 75 to 80 in a college football multiplayer league.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #143
Lucky Jim
Mascot

Personally I'd be a huge fan of incorporating high school juniors into the recruiting mix if it's going to be done offseason. As SD has mentioned those are the majority of the guys that are being looked at during this timeframe. Having "two years" of evaluating and pursuing might create a lot more depth to the side game that is recruiting. As it stands with TCY, and even FBCB, there just isn't much of an attachment to recruits and the process happens much too quickly to really get a feeling of exctiement or disappointment about a player. Recruiting for me in these type games has always gotten incredibly mechanical, simply moving on to the next guy if someone drops or moving on to the next need if someone commits, I don't feel like I ever get any sort of attachment to these guys until they're on my roster. Something like this might give a greater feel for the player universe as well. You know and are involved with more players and keeping tabs on them might prevent that "on an island" feeling that creeps into solo careers. This may be too difficult to implement, but it would be interesting to try and might bridge the gap some between the realists and convenience-ists (yeah i made that up).

The biggest problem with this might be the first year of a career, where there are senior recruits that would need to have some level of junior year recruiting pre-generated. Players might be frustrated by a feeling of not having enough control over their first year of recruiting. Just some thoughts. Congrats on both fronts Arles.

Last edited by Lucky Jim : 04-07-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #144
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
We have almost 50 human owners in the FOFC FBCB league. I think we could easily get 75 to 80 in a college football multiplayer league.

Plus you'd get new peops. I only play TPF online, and just one league, but give me WVU and I'd be willing to jump onto a huge MP league in seconds. There's a lot of players out there like me.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #145
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Plus you'd get new peops. I only play TPF online, and just one league, but give me WVU and I'd be willing to jump onto a huge MP league in seconds. There's a lot of players out there like me.

-Anxiety

I think college football has more fans than the nfl.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #146
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Arle, please, please, please, PLEASE allow an option to play a tournanment to determine the national championship. Don't make us be stuck with that ridiculous BCS system. I think that would be a deal breaker for me.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #147
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
Arle, please, please, please, PLEASE allow an option to play a tournanment to determine the national championship. Don't make us be stuck with that ridiculous BCS system. I think that would be a deal breaker for me.

Or make it ultra-realistic. Make it a BCS system, then change the BCS rules every year to "improve" it, and every year make the results still suck.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #148
Dutch
"Dutch"

IRT Fucking Elitists--trust me, if I can end up being a fucking elitist, anybody who likes to ramble enough to gather 2 or 3 thousand mindless posts over the course of 5 years or so can become a fucking elitist.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #149
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'd join a MP college football league with any team you offer. I think it'd be a blast.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #150
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I hate to keep harping, but I kinda like the in-season recruiting in TCY. It was one of the only things that kept me going on that game. The only way I would trade in-season recruiting is if it was done BEFORE the season. I would like to know what my next years team was going to look like, kinda like in FBCB. Recruiting after the season would be a bad idea.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote