Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #101
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Is there some sort of option to totally eliminate in-season recruiting and just do it the old-fashioned way?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #102
Ironhead
College Prospect

I don't think so. The way in season recruiting works is that during the season you target 12 players and go after them. During in-season recruiting you can only target 3 star and up prospects. Some players will make commitments to various teams during the season. Then during the offseason normal old-fashion recruiting resumes for all high school players that didn't already sign with someone.

From what I have read it is a little too easy to sign the four and five star prospects during in-season recruiting when you have a bad team. This is solved easy enough by just making a house rule that if you have a team that is only 2 or 3 stars you cannot target the four and five star players during in-season recruiting.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-10-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #103
Ironhead
College Prospect

Okay, I was looking at the quarterback thing and I think I see what the real issue here is. When simming CPU quarterbacks are not getting enough recorded attempts. Not only does this push up the completion percentages but it also pushes up the yards per pass attempt and touchdowns per pass attempt. That is why we are seeing so many insanely high quarterback ratings. I would wager that you are going to also be seeing quarterbacks with an average yards per completion average around 11 to 13 yards when simming.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-10-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #104
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I heart Todd.

I club Jeeber.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #105
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead
I don't think so. The way in season recruiting works is that during the season you target 12 players and go after them. During in-season recruiting you can only target 3 star and up prospects. Some players will make commitments to various teams during the season. Then during the offseason normal old-fashion recruiting resumes for all high school players that didn't already sign with someone.

From what I have read it is a little too easy to sign the four and five star prospects during in-season recruiting when you have a bad team. This is solved easy enough by just making a house rule that if you have a team that is only 2 or 3 stars you cannot target the four and five star players during in-season recruiting.

Thanks for the information!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #106
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
dola,

After my 3rd week, 14 QB's have 200+ QB ratings. I think Phillisfan is right, not enough INT's.

Isn't there a slider to tweak the interceptions or does that only affect played games?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #107
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Isn't there a slider to tweak the interceptions or does that only affect played games?

sliders is for played games only.

i wish sliders and minutes per quarter affect sims games too for NCAA and Madden games.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #108
CraigSca
Pro Starter

But it's a chicken or the egg, unless they make two sets of sliders. I can imagine dumbing down SIMMED quarterbacks, but then your in-game QB would be adversely affected as well.

For me, as long as the gameplay is good, I'm happy.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #109
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
But it's a chicken or the egg, unless they make two sets of sliders. I can imagine dumbing down SIMMED quarterbacks, but then your in-game QB would be adversely affected as well.

For me, as long as the gameplay is good, I'm happy.

Then I think you'll be happy. I am so far.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #110
sabotai
General Manager

The stat thing probably won't bother me too much. In fact, I dan't think of any time where I checked the stats for other players and teams while playing NCAA or any console game. My team pretty much exists in a vaccum for console games as I really pay no attention to anything else that happens.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #111
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
The stat thing probably won't bother me too much. In fact, I dan't think of any time where I checked the stats for other players and teams while playing NCAA or any console game. My team pretty much exists in a vaccum for console games as I really pay no attention to anything else that happens.

That is kind of what I was thinking as well. Especially with passing stats, I check out rushing yards, tackles, sacks, etc. more often.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #112
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I plan on simply watching every game of the season in in-game mode. That will take care of the QB stat issues. Problem solved.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:36 AM   #113
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I think that's a great idea, not unlike Steven Wright's map of the world that's actual size. 1 mile = 1 mile
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #114
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn, I can't wait to get home and play.

Troy is going to see what my boys are made of... even without Smith.

I'm even liking AA default - 8 mins - penalties all the way up - sub out 70%/sub in 85%
Old 07-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #115
rexallllsc
Banned

In-season recruiting is kinda weird. Someone said it's half-@ssed and I kinda agree. It's not broken, just don't really know what, if anything, to do with it.

Impact players on D force too many fumbles, IMO...
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #116
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What can I say, I heart this game. It's been so much fun playing.. even after my 44-17 loss to Troy, which means AA defaults are just fine for my style of play right now.

It's fun, it's addicting.. and although the stats are not totally believeable, this might be the only football game I get this year. I'm not going to mess with the sliders until I'm unstoppable on AA defaults. Troy dominated me, this after two good wins and my confidence a little high. Turnovers killed me and I could never recover.

Also, and this might sound weird.. I like the recruiting part of big signees during the season and the rest of the signings at the end of the season.

The running game is actually much more fun for me than 2004 was. I also like when my impact player gets in the zone, a one-on-one matchup favors the receiver... unless the CB is also in the zone, then it's a battle.

The game is not for stat freaks, no console game really is.. but for gameplay and fun factor, I'm loving it so far.

For those of you getting it tomorrow, get you some real player name rosters and start a dynasty up. I think most of you will like it, especially those who really get into college football.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-11-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #117
jbmagic
Pro Starter

are the gameplay stats realistic?

sims stats are off right?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
are the gameplay stats realistic?

sims stats are off right?

Gameplay stats are about perfect except running seems easy for me so far and the CPU running game might be a tad low. Other than that (and I don't scour over stats that much), the rest seem fine.

Sim stats are high for the QB's as previously discussed.

GAMEPLAY is really fun and the added running and tackling animations are great.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #119
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
What can I say, I heart this game. It's been so much fun playing.. even after my 44-17 loss to Troy, which means AA defaults are just fine for my style of play right now.

It's fun, it's addicting.. and although the stats are not totally believeable, this might be the only football game I get this year. I'm not going to mess with the sliders until I'm unstoppable on AA defaults. Troy dominated me, this after two good wins and my confidence a little high. Turnovers killed me and I could never recover.

Also, and this might sound weird.. I like the recruiting part of big signees during the season and the rest of the signings at the end of the season.

The running game is actually much more fun for me than 2004 was. I also like when my impact player gets in the zone, a one-on-one matchup favors the receiver... unless the CB is also in the zone, then it's a battle.

The game is not for stat freaks, no console game really is.. but for gameplay and fun factor, I'm loving it so far.

For those of you getting it tomorrow, get you some real player name rosters and start a dynasty up. I think most of you will like it, especially those who really get into college football.

I got it today as well, but really haven't had time to get into it. It's been a year or two since I've played alot of EA console football (heavy into NFL 2k series), do you think I should start out on AA default? I just got done playing a game with Penn State (me) VS. Penn and I was up 40-0 at the half on Varsity.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #120
Ironhead
College Prospect

Picking the game up on my way to work tomorrow morning. Have the named Xbox rosters saved and ready to start my dynasty right out of the gate! I figure if I choose a lousy team and lose several games getting used to everything then it won't matter.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-11-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #121
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I have the game. I'll probably post my impressions tomorrow afternoon.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #122
Suicane75
Coordinator

I know this is a longshot, but how many are interested in an online league? Im thinking a 1 conference 6-8 team kind of thing?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 AM   #123
21C
College Prospect

I love reading this thread but I hate the fact that the game never gets released in Australia. Madden always makes it since there is a small audience for the NFL but the college game doesn't get any coverage here at all.

I'm strongly considering getting a US Xbox 360 shipped out when it gets released just so I can get this game in the future - if I can just work out what to do about the different elecrical plugs/voltages.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:24 AM   #124
Super Ugly
High School JV

Quote:
I love reading this thread but I hate the fact that the game never gets released in Australia. Madden always makes it since there is a small audience for the NFL but the college game doesn't get any coverage here at all.

I hear you! I bought a Gamecube last year just so I could play an imported copy of NCAA without chipping the console, and I'm saddened that they've given up on that platform. I'm also thinking of buying a US XBox 360 - hopefully they'll be on sale when I go to the States this October.

At least I still have Madden, though.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:08 AM   #125
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C

Tell me about it. Here, only thing people know is Totti, Vieri and company. They do care about Totti's wedding, but college sports??? What is it???

Anyway, the Internet: such a beautiful thing. Try this store: http://www.tronixweb.com. One week if you choose the USPS Global Priority method, and you got the game. Ordered a lot of US games from them, never have a problem. Last year I purchased Madden, NCAA, ESPN NFL, ESPN NBA. I'm telling you man, they're great. This year, I pre-ordered NCAA 2006 and I chose the FedEx International shipping: 2 days and I should have the game.
Obviously, you gotta have a "modded" console. Unless Australia is NTSC like the States...
Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #126
Emiliano
College Prospect

IGN Review
Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 AM   #127
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Gamespot's review

I guessed 8.9 from Gamespot and 9.3 from IGN. Gamespot gave it an 8.8 and IGN gave it a 9.2. God I'm good
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #128
Hoya1
High School JV

What's this thing that you can hook your PS2 memory card into your cpu? Is it a USB? Where can I get one?
I'd like to d/l the rosters onto a card, but I'm really not into sending my card out and getting it done
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #129
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1
What's this thing that you can hook your PS2 memory card into your cpu? Is it a USB? Where can I get one?
I'd like to d/l the rosters onto a card, but I'm really not into sending my card out and getting it done

You'll need a Sharkport. You can probably pick one up cheap on Ebay (just do a search for ps2 sharkport). There may be other brands as well.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #130
Hoya1
High School JV

http://gocybershop.ca/customer/produ...cat=175&page=1

Something like this should work, I think. Anyone else have something like this?

These guys are not too far from me, atleast I don't have to wait weeks.......
Old 07-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #131
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
I got it today as well, but really haven't had time to get into it. It's been a year or two since I've played alot of EA console football (heavy into NFL 2k series), do you think I should start out on AA default? I just got done playing a game with Penn State (me) VS. Penn and I was up 40-0 at the half on Varsity.

Yes, I think default AA plays great out of the box. I do think rushing is easy, but hey.. I just got shelled by Troy.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #132
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
http://gocybershop.ca/customer/produ...cat=175&page=1

I've never heard of that adapter. I'd go over to http://www.psxsports.com/ and read on what you need to d/l the rosters. I have a Max Drive and everything is quite easy.

At least make sure you can send that adapter back if it doesn't work.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:35 AM   #133
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

double dola,

Make sure that week by week you check your coaching page where it tells you if any recruits need disipline for various things. I don't think the game automatically tells you that information from week to week.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #134
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I picked it up when GameStop opened at 9 am today (god bless having a day off)

Just played on AA vs Northern Illinois with Michigan.

I struggled early and was getting sacked a lot because I dropped back too much. NIU ran the ball well. Their RB had 26 rushes for 145 yards, but in the end Mike Hart was too much. I need to adjut stuff to fix rushing, though Hart's #'s in games last year were comparable. He ran 42 times for 256 yards and 3 scores.

All in all, I love it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #135
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Alright, I have a question and VERY early impressions from a half of AA of Race for the Heisman:

I remember in previews that the game is supposed to put you into Race for the Heisman when you turn it on for the first time or at least I'm fairly sure that I remember that. My game did not do that. There are only two reasons I can think that it didn't do that. One, I had already downloaded and installed Fairdale King's Xbox rosters, or two I have a slightly different version than what went out early to previewers (seems unlikely, but it is possible.)

Anyone else who didn't have it start the Race for the Heisman when you first installed the game?

As far as that mode, I hate that it puts you ahead of established stars, but it's easily fixable. I'm benching my guy for the year behind Leinhart (yes, I made it to USC on only my second attempt at the drill.)

As far as the gameplay, except for running being a bit too easy, I'm loving AA defaults. The deep pass has not been easy for me at all, as the CPU is getting excellent pressure on me even though it is Hawaii's defensive line vs USC's offensive line. However, my running game is doing great with Bush having about 10 carries for 110 yards at the half. I'm able to complete short passes and am 9 of 14 for 53 yards with a TD and an interception.

Oh yeah, Hawaii's QB is tearing me apart with 9 of 16 passes for 114 yards with 1 TD 0 INT. Hawaii isn't running much (which is to be expected) and I can't wait to see when I face a good rushing team.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #136
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm getting this tonight..

but from my experience with EA games in general, i bet you did not get the RFTH because of the rosters you d/l'd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #137
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

My game put me into RFTH right away, did scrambling QB, did fairly well. Right stick for juke is gonna take some getting used to, but I was able to pitch the ball and it was cool not being able to control the HB and trying to get my guy downfield to block. Got offers from Tennessee, Florida State, and Ohio State. Talk about no choices, I ended up picking FSU. I liked seeing gang tackling.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #138
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
I club Jeeber.
I heart CHEM.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #139
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
Quote:
http://gocybershop.ca/customer/prod...&cat=175&page=1

I've never heard of that adapter. I'd go over to http://www.psxsports.com/ and read on what you need to d/l the rosters. I have a Max Drive and everything is quite easy.

At least make sure you can send that adapter back if it doesn't work.
Do you use a sharkport? How does the Max Drive work? Isn't this just a storage device.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #140
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well default AA is tough for me. I ended up losing to Hawaii (C-rated Team) 40-35 with USC. Of course, I spotted them 16 points before I realized, do NOT drop back too far, the defensive line will kill you. However, even with staying in the pocket, the pressure was rough. I'll have to check the D-Line ratings of Hawaii and the O-line ratings of USC after I'm done posting these stats, but I might bump the User O-Line up a bit for pass blocking.

Anyway, I thought the stats were fairly good with 8 minute quarters:

Passing:

Kainoa Akina, QB Hawaii: 34 of 60 passing for 354 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT. I didn't get any sacks on him as he threw it away quickly, but I did get about 20 hurries which caused many of the incompletions.

Matt Leinart: 21 of 42 passes for 251 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, sacked 5 times, and hurried a bunch.

Rushing:

Reggie Bush: 18 carries for 122 yards, 1 TD, 40 yards after the first contact. They really keyed on him in the second half and slowed him down.

Lendale White 8 carries for 37 yards.

Nate Ilaoa, Hawaii RB - 15 carries for 72 yards. The jerk kept running effective out of the 4 WR spread set, particularly in the second half.

Receiving:

Ross Dickerson (impact receiver for Hawaii): 12 catches for 113 yards including a 40 yard bomb. 1TD, 0 drops.

Nate Ilaoa: 5 catches for 50 yards. 1 drop.

Their 3rd and 4th string receivers had 3 drops between them.

Reggie Bush: 11 catches for 92 yards. Even when he was in the zone, I couldn't get any automatic deep throws, and most of his catches were short as they always had a safety helping deep on him. 1TD, 1 drop.

Steve Smith: 4 catches for 97 yards, including a 42 yard bomb. 1TD. 2 drops (1 on a bomb, and 1 where he was crushed by a strong safety on a cross.)

Chris Mcfoy: 3 catches for 25 yards. 1 drop.

Whitney Lewis: Dropped both passes I threw towards him, but he was crushed on the first one which hurt his composure.

No O-linemen had more than 8 pancake blocks (Sam Baker, my LT led the game with 8 pancake blocks and 1 sack allowed.0

Whinston Justice my RT allowed 3 sacks.

There were 2 to 3 defendders on each team with about 10 tackles. On my team, it was my MLB, SLB, and CB. My superstar SS went out in the 1st quarter with an injury that sidelined him for 9 weeks.

Overall, it was fun even though I lost. I'm going to start my dynasty now (and therefore play the same game again, and see if I can do better without spotting them 16 points. I'll probably alternate between my RFTH and regular dynasty throughout upcoming weeks.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #141
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Mine went right into RFTH as well, although I got out of it, installed the rosters and then started a dynasty with Missouri.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've noticed the CPU seems to run better in the 2nd half on me as well.

EF,

Keep them on default, as once you get more games under your belt, passing will become easy with more pass blocking. It took me about 2 games before I felt comfortable in the pocket with my QB.

Quote:
Do you use a sharkport? How does the Max Drive work? Isn't this just a storage device.

No, I have a Max Drive (Datel) and yes it's like a jump drive with software for your ps2 to read it. Very easy.. d/l roster set, insert usb drive (max drive), transfer rosters to it, insert into ps2, load up the software and uncrunch to your memory card. Extremely easy.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #143
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I started a race for the heisman game today. Choosing a scrambling QB you run the option training game. I was offered 3 scholarships to #3 Iowa, #7 Michigan and #12 Ohio St. You also have the option of walking on to the school of your choice.

I think this could be a good game for Ardent to try his Walk On dynasty again.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #144
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Wow this is the COOLEST thing I have ever seen in a video game. I'm playing Miami right now, and their starting QB is having just a horrific game. Before halftime he's got 3 INT's, sacked, hurried, and a fumble. So instead of jus tleaving him in there, they have substituted him out, and it's not even a blowout yet. Never seen that happen before.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #145
Esquared1
High School JV

Does 2006 offer any extra options when creating teams? Since I'm a big nerd, I usually kick out Conf-USA teams and create all Div-III Midwest Conference teams. I need to see Beloit College do well. . .
Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #146
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

No create-a-school is my favorite feature to use, but yet again they didn't add anything to it this year. Same logos, same uniforms, kinda sucks.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #147
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do small schools like Cornell still have generic stadiums?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #148
Esquared1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
No create-a-school is my favorite feature to use, but yet again they didn't add anything to it this year. Same logos, same uniforms, kinda sucks.

. . . Then I'm happy with 2005. . . All I was looking for was a little upgrade, that's all!
Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #149
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Wow this is the COOLEST thing I have ever seen in a video game. I'm playing Miami right now, and their starting QB is having just a horrific game. Before halftime he's got 3 INT's, sacked, hurried, and a fumble. So instead of jus tleaving him in there, they have substituted him out, and it's not even a blowout yet. Never seen that happen before.

Are you serious? Are you sure he didn't get hurt? I've been waiting for this forever....
Old 07-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #150
moriarty
College Starter

Question on the inflated QB Stats thing (and maybe no one has played enough yet, but....):

Does this basically eliminate any chance of your QB winning the Heisman? I mean, if there's pretty much no chance of you matching the sim stats ... there's pretty much no way your QB wil capture the Heisman right? Not that it's that big a deal, just wondering ....
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote