Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I'm gonna say this, then shut up about the whole thing:

A) the EULA's of the games involved ALLOW the games to be sold/traded completely removed and given away to another party, as noted in quotations in other's posts.

B) There is no lack of integrity involved in this situation.

C) Screaming into the wind and threatening people that you're going to snap and go postal on anyone and everyone involved in something you disagree with if they keep arguing with you is seriously childish and utterly lacks integrity.

D) If you are indeed going to quietly ignore something, perhaps you shouldn't write up a post like the one I just quoted. Say one thing, do something else? there is a word that comes to mind...

I like you Ben, but you sure as hell can't have it both ways. Either get the facts straight and treat EVERY action equally, or stick with your own professed rule of keeping quiet and ignoring the problem. I've rather lost some respect for you over this and thats a sad thing.

My nickel.

".
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #102
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
You're walking on thin ice here, my friend. You have no idea how many things that happen on this forum that bother me every time I see them. Like I said from the start, if I get pushed too far on this--I know myself all too well--we'll be obeying the letter of the law on that stuff, too.

that's such a hollow threat, and you know it. you increase the restrictions here and you'll have an empty message board. you'll be the sheriff of a ghost town.

you should feel free to run this place any way you want. whether or not people will put up with your bullshit is a different story.

word to mutha.

Last edited by Anthony : 12-03-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #103
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
".

Have you been reading the JeeberD method?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #104
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Oh. I get it. I post the license agreement from an older game and that is bad. Someone else posts the license agreement from an older game and you read it as gospel truth for the current game. Interesting.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #105
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I work for a software company and am about as "by the book" on copyright issues as any around here, but this seems like a gross over-reaction to me. Even if you want to argue that software EULAs are legally enforcable (shaky ground) or that there's some sort of bigger moral issue at play (even shakier), was it really necessary to ban the guy who posted the original thread?

Lock the thread if you want, lecture the masses if you feel the need, but to ban a guy for doing something that 99% of software users wouldn't realize was even a problem? Wouldn't a warning have been enough?

that's my big problem - SkyDog needs to list bannable offenses and sticky the fucking thing. you just can't go around banning people and not have them even know about it. give people a chance to edit/delete their own thread. just cuz he's not leet or a FOFC veteran and hasn't been around here long enough to have earned some leeway doesn't mean you behead every noob who does something a little wrong.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Have you been reading the JeeberD method?

yes
Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #107
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
that's my big problem - SkyDog needs to list bannable offenses and sticky the fucking thing. you just can't go around banning people and not have them even know about it. give people a chance to edit/delete their own thread. just cuz he's not leet or a FOFC veteran and hasn't been around here long enough to have earned some leeway doesn't mean you behead every noob who does something a little wrong.

He's been registered since October 2003. He doesn't post much, but he's been around long enough to know a post like that would get locked by Skydog. The banning may have been a little strong, but I immediately knew what was going to happen when I read the thread title, minus the ban.

I wonder what would have happened if that same post was posting in the pc/game trading thread?

I've tried to sell a few of my licensed games in the past though and never thought twice about it, so I would have given a warning vs a ban. Just my opinion though, I'm not the moderator nor would I want to be.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #108
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
He's been registered since October 2003. He doesn't post much, but he's been around long enough to know a post like that would get locked by Skydog. The banning may have been a little strong, but I immediately knew what was going to happen when I read the thread title, minus the ban.

I wonder what would have happened if that same post was posting in the pc/game trading thread?

I've tried to sell a few of my licensed games in the past though and never thought twice about it, so I would have given a warning vs a ban. Just my opinion though, I'm not the moderator nor would I want to be.

i've been around longer than all but a few, and i didn't even know trading games on FOFC was a bannable offense.

SkyDog just likes to pick and choose what's bannable, and what isn't.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #109
Tasan
College Starter

Skydog's gonna ban everyone who posted in this thread, I swear.

Oh damn

*runs and hides*
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #110
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I respect the heck out of Ben, but I agree that this appears to be a random cracking of the whip. The general rule has always been that attempting to pirate a game is an instant bannable offense, but there have been plenty of past and current threads about game trading. This guy looks like he incurred the wrath because he was a "n00b." It's unfortunate that you have to have a few thousand posts to break unwritten rules on this board.

If you're going to have a rule, you have to be consistent. According to this standard, everybody who has done the same thing should be banned.

If Ben has another reason to ban this guy, fine. If his IP matches a known trouble maker and there is evidence that this is an account someone create two years ago just in case they wanted to cause trouble, so be it.

I think it's only fair to let people know what bannable offenses are. That said:
Quote:
The owners of Front Office Football Central reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread, or remove or limit any user's access, for any reason.
We agreed to this, so I guess we're SOL.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #111
Joe
Pro Starter

I seem to recall others being banned for this same thing. Am I wrong? Or maybe I'm thinking of people who just asked for it for free?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #112
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, Hell Atlantic recently offered me a reach-around if I'd sell him a pirated copy of FOF. He needs to be banned. Now.

By reading the preceeding paragraph, you agree to be bound be all claims made and not dispute them and do whatever I say or else you have to stop reading RIGHT NOW and you didn't so your pwned.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #113
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Also, Hell Atlantic recently offered me a reach-around if I'd sell him a pirated copy of FOF. He needs to be banned. Now.

By reading the preceeding paragraph, you agree to be bound be all claims made and not dispute them and do whatever I say or else you have to stop reading RIGHT NOW and you didn't so your pwned.

wait, who was supposed to give the reach-around to whom? i don't like getting reach-arounds, so i wanna make sure you're the reachee.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:24 AM   #114
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

That great stuff right there.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #115
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
i've been around longer than all but a few, and i didn't even know trading games on FOFC was a bannable offense.

Same for me.

Last edited by vex : 12-04-2005 at 12:32 AM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:37 AM   #116
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Oh. I get it. I post the license agreement from an older game and that is bad. Someone else posts the license agreement from an older game and you read it as gospel truth for the current game. Interesting.

But that's not what he was trying to trade. He was trying to trade his version of TPF, which as long as he's giving both licenses, is ok.

Edit: If you want to lock a thread because you don't agree that people should do something they are entitled to, then that's your thing. But I would think most of the people here are going to disagree with you on it.

Last edited by dervack : 12-04-2005 at 12:39 AM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #117
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Same for me.
Me either. This is the first time I've heard it was a banable offense to trade a game.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #118
MrBug708
Head Coach

We had a whole thread on the forums that had games we could trade
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #119
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
We had a whole thread on the forums that had games we could trade
Which Skydog even gave a sticky at the time:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...9&page=1&pp=50

SkyDog
H.N.I.C.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Good suggestion. Can we get a sticky?

done.

Last edited by vex : 12-04-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #120
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Which Skydog even gave a sticky at the time:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...9&page=1&pp=50

What's fascinating is that people are trading a game that he is showing the EULA for at the beginning of this thread (Civilization III). At the time I guess it didn't bother him so much since it was stickied.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #121
SackAttack
Head Coach

:mijb:
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 AM   #122
Schmidty
Coordinator

At the same time that we are quibbleing over this stuff, an asteroid just crashed into Uranus.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 AM   #123
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
What's fascinating is that people are trading a game that he is showing the EULA for at the beginning of this thread (Civilization III). At the time I guess it didn't bother him so much since it was stickied.

All those people need to be banninated with a quickness.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:42 AM   #124
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
All those people need to be banninated with a quickness.
that or SD needs to self-banninate for stickying a thread talking about a clearly illegal action, thus encouraging it.

edit: i don't really give a shit, i just wanted to use the phrase self-banninate and suggest that the board mod ban himself, which i found funny

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-04-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #125
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Too bad I was a random lurker at that time, there were some games I would have definitely traded for.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #126
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Too bad I was a random lurker at that time, there were some games I would have definitely traded for.

Too bad I just didn't pay attention. Agreed, some nice games for sure.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #127
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
At the same time that we are quibbleing over this stuff, an asteroid just crashed into Uranus.

Is this supposed to be code for "There is a rock in my ass"?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 AM   #128
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Is this supposed to be code for "There is a rock in my ass"?

If your name is Howie, then yes. If not, I have no further comment.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:58 AM   #129
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
If your name is Howie, then yes. If not, I have no further comment.
LOL
Abbreviations - Something I learned from JeeberD!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #130
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Geez. Did the jbmagic-I-don't-pay-attention-to-what-I-read virus infect all of you today????

THE ISSUE I HAVE IS NOT WITH THE LEGALITY. IT IS WITH AGREEING TO THE EULA, AND THEN VIOLATING IT!!! It shows a stunning lack of integrity. How difficult is that to comprehend? You are not going to persuade me differently. By continuing to argue over it, joke about it, or anything else, you will only be increasing the odds that I'll be convicted enough about it to act. Read the thread title, people. JUST TRUST ME when I say that it is best for your enjoyment of FOFC that I am able to continue to quietly ignore the things that disturb me.

Prove to me the person trading the game actually agreed to the EULA.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #131
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
:mijb:
Hey, don't drag me into this!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #132
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
That said:
Quote:
The owners of Front Office Football Central reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread, or remove or limit any user's access, for any reason.

We agreed to this, so I guess we're SOL.

Ummm...since when is SD an owner of FOFC?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #133
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Maybe that's why the old titles were removed? Wasn't it at 8000 posts you were made an owner?

I guess at that point you could pwn anyone on FOFC.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #134
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

You obviously weren't around or weren't paying attention. Ownership was passed from Blacky to SD.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #135
JeeberD
General Manager

Ownership? Or just the keys to the bus...

Edit: I guess whoever owns the board software owns the board, huh? For some reason I was thinking that GameSpy owned the board, but they just own the server we're on I guess.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 12-04-2005 at 10:39 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #136
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Exactly I was going to ask the same thing.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #137
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Edit: I guess whoever owns the board software owns the board, huh? For some reason I was thinking that GameSpy owned the board, but they just own the server we're on I guess.

Unless something was changed, GameSpy is simply hosting us. We could move to any server, even our own. It's the content and the software that is registered or copyrighted or something, I think. Also I recall Ben registering some domains in his name.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #138
Joe
Pro Starter

Ben owns frontofficefootballcentral.com, I'm not so sure about the board. I was thinking along the same lines as Jeeber on that. Who knows.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #139
Airhog
Captain Obvious

the registration for our copy of this forum software is in Skydog's name also...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #140
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

ownership is a tad murky but I don't think it really matters anyways.

quick synopsis:

a) skydog goes on power trip again by banning a noob (aka poster with low post count) for posting something despite stickying a thread promoting the issue (trading games)
b) makes this thread to try and justify such behavior, even going so far as to threaten everyone to not talk about it or we'd not like the consequences (despite starting the friggin thread)
c) disappears when no one agrees with him

standard operating procedure, the fact that people are amazed is simply well... amazing.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #141
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
c) disappears when no one agrees with him
You've been around long enough to know that I could not possibly care less if anyone agrees with me when I know I'm right. No pointing in arguing over it, though. The less I think about this, the better it is for all of you. {shrug}
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #142
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You've been around long enough to know that I could not possibly care less if anyone agrees with me when I know I'm right. No pointing in arguing over it, though. The less I think about this, the better it is for all of you. {shrug}

You didn't mind arguing until facts came into play.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #143
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
wow, i'm stunned. you're totally convinced your right despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I'm completely stunned!

I've been around long enough to know when you go on your standard power trips, dig your heels in and refuse to see any other point of view despite being 100% in the wrong. if you were so damn right, you never would have stickied the trade game thread and you'd ban everyone that ever traded a game in it. you'd ban anyone ever making a mod for any game, ever, since that violates your holy EULAs as well. Hell, you haven't even locked that thread. You're a hypocrite and a bully plain and simple. Pick on the little guy, he won't fight back right? No one will defend the guy with 10 posts, oops.

yes yes, we know. for we fear the wrath of skydog following the letter of the law on everything. we should be afraid, very afraid.

Last edited by Chubby : 12-04-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #144
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You didn't mind arguing until facts came into play.

Exactly.

Oh and by the way Skydog. Feel free to remove the stuff in the reference thread that violates the EULAs anytime.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #145
Ben E Lou

Quote:
refuse to see any other point of view despite being 100% in the wrong
Tee-hee. That's rich irony.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... your standard power trips

For at least just this once, trust me when I say: You do not know from power trips from watching SD.

I know 'em when I see 'em ... and he doesn't even make the Hot 100.

Trust me.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #147
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Tee-hee. That's rich irony.

Why dodging the issues Ben?

If trading games is instantly bannable then why is there a trading games thread you stickied???

If anything that violates a EULA is a bannable offense then why is there stuff in the reference thread that violates EULAs? Why is there any discussion of any mods to any games allowed?

You are a hypocrite and a bully. You won't ban anyone that makes a mod (which clearly violates every EULA) that has a high post count. You won't ban anyone in that trading games thread that has tried to trade a game. And you sure as hell won't close that thread because that would be an admission of you being wrong in stickying it in the 1st place.

Get called on the facts, change the focus. That's your MO Ben.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #148
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
For at least just this once, trust me when I say: You do not know from power trips from watching SD.

I know 'em when I see 'em ... and he doesn't even make the Hot 100.

Trust me.

I don't doubt you, like vex said, I'm simply going by online BS. He doesn't make the top 10000 IRL.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't doubt you, like vex said, I'm simply going by online BS. He doesn't make the top 10000 IRL.

He doesn't even make the top 1000 online.

You should see my to-do list for when I get the keys to the place.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #150
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sorry, I actually deleted that. But like I said, maybe he doesn't go on powertrips compared to people IRL, but as far as internet message boards go, he's right up there.