Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #101
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
This is a variation of a game we used to play on Michigan's internal forum system (called MEET:Students) back in 1990. We called it Word Mastermind.

Man, they had that back in '90? I was on that for a little bit in '95 -- killed time on it when I was working as a consultant in the computer lab at MoJo. The forum system was called 'confer' then, but it sounds like pretty much the same thing.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #102
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Code:
N U C L E A R (0,4) R E A C T E D (1,1) T R A I L E R (0,2) N E R V O U S (0,2) C U R L I E R (1,3) C O U R I E R (2,1) R A U N C H Y (1,2) U N I C O R N (1,1) N U C U L A R (0,3) E N Q U I R E (1,1) C A L L E R S (1,2) E N T R O P Y (0,1) R E A C T O R (1,1) E X C L U D E (1,3)

Last edited by Solecismic : 04-12-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #103
digamma
Torchbearer

EXCLUDE
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #104
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Man, they had that back in '90? I was on that for a little bit in '95 -- killed time on it when I was working as a consultant in the computer lab at MoJo. The forum system was called 'confer' then, but it sounds like pretty much the same thing.

I joined in 1988 when I returned to Michigan for grad school, and was part of the group that met weekly to play cards. Met a lot of good friends through that card game.

The whole system was called Confer from the beginning, which was invented by Bob Parnes in 1975. The conferences (MEET:STUDENTS and MEET:PLANNERS - I moderated M:P for one semester) started up in 1985. Kathy Aupperle, who helped start the conferencing system, is the person who taught me to play bridge.

Back then, you received $30 in computing time every month. It was a little sad toward the end of the month, because people would run out of money and be off the system for a week or two. Moderating was a good gig because you'd get an account with $200 a month (not that you could use all that).
Old 04-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #105
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I joined in 1988 when I returned to Michigan for grad school, and was part of the group that met weekly to play cards. Met a lot of good friends through that card game.

The whole system was called Confer from the beginning, which was invented by Bob Parnes in 1975. The conferences (MEET:STUDENTS and MEET:PLANNERS - I moderated M:P for one semester) started up in 1985. Kathy Aupperle, who helped start the conferencing system, is the person who taught me to play bridge.

Back then, you received $30 in computing time every month. It was a little sad toward the end of the month, because people would run out of money and be off the system for a week or two. Moderating was a good gig because you'd get an account with $200 a month (not that you could use all that).

I don't know if they have it now, but we had ITD "funny money" when I was there, too. I forget how much they gave you, but they charged you for dial-up access, and for printing from the computer labs. I think that if you spent all your "funny money" then they just started charging your tuition account. I remember a couple stories about people not knowing they were being charged for dial-up, and getting screwed when it was time to register for classes.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #106
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Back then, registering for classes meant standing in line for three hours and hoping you'd be next to a pretty girl, and not some acne-scarred idiot with a runny nose and a cough.

If your student number range was late in the lottery, you'd never get any of the classes you wanted. I remember carrying a stack of blank add-drop slips with me the entire first week of classes, my ID number was cursed.