Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #101
JeeberD
General Manager

And apparently Artest and Bonzi are tight, so if we brought him in Bonzi would probably stick around for his second year...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #102
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
And apparently Artest and Bonzi are tight, so if we brought him in Bonzi would probably stick around for his second year...

bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #103
Groundhog
Coordinator

Points of interest in Draftexpress.com's latest mock draft:

Celtics take Joakim Noah at #5. I really don't see this happening.
Bucks take Conley at #6. If they don't think they can bring Mo back, this pick makes a lot of sense.
Bobcats take Corey Brewer at #8. Bye-bye Gerald Wallace? Could be a steal at #8.
King take Yi Jianlian at #10. My condolonces Kings fans.
Hawks take Acie Law at #11. I like this pick. Law is a pretty good consolation prize for Conley IMO.
Wizards take Jason Smith at #16. Smith to me sounds like one of those guys that come from nowhere to get hyped up just before draft, and then when they report to camp they end up being the player that everyone thought they were prior to the predraft camp - ie. a borderline talent.
Nets take Josh McRoberts at #17. I think he'll be a good pickup in the late teens.
Jazz take Jared Dudley at #25. I really hope this happens. The Jazz are usually great at picking up late-round rookies who can work in their system and contribute early. Dudley fits.
Spurs take Aaron Gray at #28. I could see this happening. Gray has the tools to play spot-minutes in the Spurs system right away IMO.
Suns take Taurean Green at #29. I think Green will go 1st round, but not to Phoenix.
Sixers take Sean William at #30. Does this guy really deserve a first round pick? Great college-level shotblocker, but he doesn't do anything else. Reminds me of that guy who played in the middle at Ohio State back when Scoonie and Redd were on campus, with more athleticism to be sure, but still a long way off being a 1st round draft prospect.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #104
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

According to some ppl, there is a legitimate rumor of Theo Ratliff, some player (Ryan Gomes or Delonte West maybe?), and a future first for Rashard Lewis S&T. Certainly an upgrade for the Celtics, especially if they end up keeping #5.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #105
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
According to some ppl, there is a legitimate rumor of Theo Ratliff, some player (Ryan Gomes or Delonte West maybe?), and a future first for Rashard Lewis S&T. Certainly an upgrade for the Celtics, especially if they end up keeping #5.

Not sure why the Sonics would make that deal, but that would give the Celtics: Rondo-Pierce-Lewis-Jefferson-Perkins, plus a lotto pick to come, presumably Conley or Wright. Not a bad lineup, but I can't see them playing much perimeter D.

The Sonics would probably be better to just let Lewis walk.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #106
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Not sure why the Sonics would make that deal, but that would give the Celtics: Rondo-Pierce-Lewis-Jefferson-Perkins, plus a lotto pick to come, presumably Conley or Wright. Not a bad lineup, but I can't see them playing much perimeter D.

The Sonics would probably be better to just let Lewis walk.

Well I guess it's just the whole "can't let him walk for nothing" philosophy. A future first and a solid roleplayer isn't to bad if your expecting nothing. I'm sure this is one of 10-15 rumors that will be floated in the offseason, especially with Theo's expiring deal.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #107
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Taking back Ratliff and a player, plus paying Durant, and then filling out their roster puts the sonics dangerously close to the luxury tax limit next year. Just looking at their contracts, it would seem that they would want to be sending out someone like Earl Watson, along w/ a resigned Lewis to make a deal work for them money wise.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #108
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
This deal makes no sense unless Seattle gets #5. You'd basically be paying $12 million next season for Gomes or West (Ratliff won't play) and a future 1st. That's a ton of cash for an average player. Seattle would be better off simply offering Matt Barnes a part of the MLE than paying big money (in essence) for Gomes.

Last edited by Arles : 06-12-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #109
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As per Joe Dumars on the radio

The asking price for Marion is two starters and both Pistons firsts.

Needless to say Dumars isn't going through with it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #110
Groundhog
Coordinator

Artest to Portland in some kind of deal involving Randolph? That's yet another rumour out there. I could see this one happening talent-wise, but do the Blazers really want to give up one headache to gain another?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #112
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
With the drafting of Oden, Portland has immense low post depth. They would be getting rid of a headache at a position where he is redundant for a headache who plays great perimeter defense, isn't a black hole in the offense, and may be on his best behavior during his first year there. I wouldn't do it if I were them, but at least it makes sense from the basketball side of things.

I absolutely agree that from a basketball point of view it's a good deal for them, but I think the Blazers have worked hard to improve their image from the days of Jailblazers, so I don't know that they'd swing this.

Maybe a sign and trade with Seattle for Lewis?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #113
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw this on CNN, but hadn't heard about it. Seems like an odd place to make such a cryptic, off the cuff statement:

Buss hinting of Kobe departure

Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2007 09:55AM ET

Johnny Buss, the oldest son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss, sent a bulletin to friends on his MySpace.com page that contained a peculiar reference to the team's nine-time All-Star. 'If you've been following the Kobe drama, I want to let you know it's not really drama -- sometimes we all need to make a change in our lives and that's all it is,' Buss wrote. 'Popular or unpopular, when it's time, it's time. Good luck Kobe wherever you go!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #114
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Saw this on CNN, but hadn't heard about it. Seems like an odd place to make such a cryptic, off the cuff statement:

Buss hinting of Kobe departure

Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2007 09:55AM ET

Johnny Buss, the oldest son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss, sent a bulletin to friends on his MySpace.com page that contained a peculiar reference to the team's nine-time All-Star. 'If you've been following the Kobe drama, I want to let you know it's not really drama -- sometimes we all need to make a change in our lives and that's all it is,' Buss wrote. 'Popular or unpopular, when it's time, it's time. Good luck Kobe wherever you go!"

oohh crap. the sports shows are going to circle-j**k over this
Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 AM   #115
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

But that was yesterday morning...you'd think they would be all over it by now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #116
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

because they are all middle aged dudes, they dont know what myspace is. trust me once they hear of this they will be all over it
Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #117
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I hope that if he does get traded, he goes straight to the East.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #118
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bulls worked out Conley today, word is Duhon is going to be on the trading block.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But that was yesterday morning...you'd think they would be all over it by now.

They have been. It was talked about all day yesterday. Of course, this is LA.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #120
JeeberD
General Manager

Juwan Howard out, Mike James back in...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2903593

I'm not sure what to think...I was never as big a Mike James fan as some Rox fans are.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #121
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Juwan Howard out, Mike James back in...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2903593

I'm not sure what to think...I was never as big a Mike James fan as some Rox fans are.

Kind of a 'meh' trade, though I'd probably prefer Howard on my roster than James. I guess it gives the Rockets a guy who can hit threes, but something about James rubs me the wrong way.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 AM   #122
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Kind of a 'meh' trade, though I'd probably prefer Howard on my roster than James. I guess it gives the Rockets a guy who can hit threes, but something about James rubs me the wrong way.

I guess this is the first step to getting smaller and quicker. James is a PG who shoots a bit too much for my personal taste.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #123
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

James shoots too much for a pg and doesnt make enough either. I really don't like him as a pg.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 AM   #124
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I guess this is the first step to getting smaller and quicker. James is a PG who shoots a bit too much for my personal taste.

Rafer v2, in other words. Great...

Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #125
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Good luck with James in Houston, he was a disaster for the Twolves last year. Basically ended up a scoring point guard who couldn't shoot. At best I think he could be an effective sparkplug as a third guard. Maybe playing at home will help his game. If nothing else Howard gives Minnesota a functional forward off the bench.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #126
Groundhog
Coordinator

Groundhog's 2007 NBA Mock Draft

9 days to go now, and I think it's at the point where it's possible to try and take a stab at it because I don't think team's opinions are going to change a whole heap, even though there are still plenty of visits going on.

Format is pick #, team name, my selection, and then in brackets it's draftexpress/nbadraft.net's selection at the same spot in their current mocks.

1. Portland Trailblazers - C Greg Oden (Oden/Oden)
The no-brainer pick.
2. Seattle Supersonics - SF Kevin Durant (Durant/Durant)
The other no-brainer pick. Despite Durant apparently being the worst athlete tested at the pre-draft camp, he's certainty picked up here, even if Rashard Lewis is NOT a free agent after all (according to an article released today).
3. Atlanta Hawks - PF Brandan Wright (Wright/Hortford)
Hawks really need a PG, but I don't think they can pass on Wright, and it's a bit of a reach to take Conley here. I doubt very much that they'll take Hortford given that they drafted Shelden last season. Wright has star potential, where as Hortford is probably destined to be a very good role player at best.
4. Memphis Grizzlies - PF Al Hortford (Hortford/B.Wright)
Grizzlies could use help in the frontcourt and backcourt, but again it's probably too soon for Conley, so they should take either Wright or Hortford in that order, depending on who is still around.
5. Boston Celtics - PG Mike Conley (Noah/Jianlian)
Boston could do any number of things here. They apparently like Noah, but I'm thinking they'll grab Conley, even if it is probably a few picks too early. They could either keep him, or move down a few spots through a trade to say Atlanta for their next pick+a player. Might be wiser to keep him though, and a lot depends on what they decided to do via trades, with even the acquisition of Garnett a rumour.
6. Milwaukee Bucks - SF Corey Brewer (Conley/Brewer)
Conley is a real chance here if he's still on the board, but if he's not then Brewer is a good consolation prize. With all the scorers the Bucks have (when healthy, at least), Brewer should slot in nicely as a guy who can play a little D and run in transition.
7. Minnesota TWolves - SF Jeff Green (Hawes/Green)
I was thinking it'd be Noah or Hawes, but the addition of Juwan Howard might see them look to the wings instead, and Green would give them a guy who should ensure that Trenton Hassell isn't lining up as the team's starting SF next season, which would be a very good thing.
8. Charlotte Bobcats - C Spencer Hawes (Brewer/Noah)
I think their preference will be Brewer, Hawes, or Noah, in that order. Hawes gives them a big body, but he's probably a few seasons away from playing big minutes.
9. Chicago Bulls - PF/SF Yi Jianlian (Jianlian/J.Wright)
Bulls could also go a few different ways, with guys like Noah, Brewer, J. Wright, Conley, et al all possibilities, but I think they'll be the ones to bite on Yianlian if he's still around. I have a bad feeling about this guy, but the league scouts probably know better… right? Apparently his stock has taken a hit lately, so if he's not grabbed by now he could be on the board till the mid-teens.
10. Sacramento Kings - PF/C Joakim Noah (Green/Thornton)
Noah could easily go 5 spots higher, but I think his limitations might drop him to the fringe of the top-10. He has energy and enthusiasm, but I'm not sure that that will be enough at this level. Still, I'll be rooting for him, as I have to admit that I admired his passion when watching Florida the past couple of seasons.
11. Atlanta Hawks - PG Acie Law (Law/Conley)
I don't think there is any way in hell that Conley will still be around here, but if he is, then there preference should be Conley or Law, in that order. If Law isn't picked up here he could fall down to the 20s, thanks largely to some unflattering Troy Bell comparisons that keep getting thrown about. Hawks might elect to go for BPA instead, picking up Thornton, Julian Wright, or might even decide to take a chance on the taller PG Javaris Crittenton. I'm thinking they'll play it safe with Law or Conley though. A trade is another possibility, and a rumour about this pick being traded to Portland for Jarrett Jack has been around a while now.
12. Philadelphia Sixers - PF Jason Smith (J.Wright/Hawes)
I think the Sixers might go for a reach pick here, because they need height, and guys like Smith or McRoberts might not be the BPA, but they won't be around when the Sixers pick again at #22. I'm not too keen on Smith, but he's been getting hyped the past few weeks, and seems like this could be a possibility for him.
13. New Orleans Hornets - SF Julian Wright (N.Young/T.Young)
BPA. Wright could go as high as #7, so getting him here would be a nice move for the Hornets.
14. LA Clippers - SG/PG Rodney Stuckey (Thornton/Crittenton)
A lot of options for the Clippers here, but I think they'd be mad to not go with a backcourt player. Their most dire need is PG, and while Stuckey isn't a pure PG, but he's a small-school baller who has been getting Dwayne Wade comparisons, and could make the switch. It's a higher risk selection than Crittenton, but also with a potentially higher payout.
15. Detroit Pistons - PG Javaris Crittenton (Stuckey/Stuckey)
Billups is a FA, and Crittenton gives them a little bit of insurance. He's not ready to play big minutes from day one though, and would be better served backing up a re-signed Billups for a few years.
16. Washington Wizards - PF Tiago Splitter (Smith/Byars)
I've been seeing this guys name in mock drafts for what seems like a decade, but it's finally the year he gets selected. Wizards will probably look for size, and it might come down to Jason Smith, Tiago Splitter, or Josh McRoberts, in that order.
17. New Jersey Nets - SF/PF Al Thornton (McRoberts/Smith)
In the possibility that Thornton falls to #17, I don't think the Nets could pass him up, despite their need of a PF/C type. Thornton was highly touted a few weeks ago, so he is either dropping due to lack of interest, or teams around this slot of the draft are keeping quiet in the hope that he'll slide.
18. Golden State Warriors - PF Josh McRoberts (Splitter/Fernandez)
McRoberts was a lottery pick candidate last season, so the Warriors would probably be pretty happy picking him up at #18. He has the athleticism to play the Warriors style of basketball.
19. LA Lakers - SG/SF Nick Young (McRoberts/Smith)
Young is a guy that can put points on the board, and should be able to help Kobe out a little with his shooting touch. Could easily go 7-8 spots higher, so would be a great selection here.
20. Miami Heat - SG Daequan Cook (Young/Law)
Cook is a bit raw but has the talent to wind up being a steal at #20. The Heat might prefer a player a little more able to step in straight away, like Morris Almond or even Thaddeus Young if he's still available.
21. Philadelphia Sixers - SF Thaddeus Young(Fernandez/Cook)
BPA. Young's stock is hurt by this being a deep draft, especially with guys like Young, Green and Wright all in the mix and probably ranked above him.
22. Charlotte Bobcats - SG Rudy Fernandez (Almond/Splitter)
A great draft to have multiple first-rounders, and Fernandez is yet another guy who could easily go much higher than this. He draws comparisons with Manu and is, by all reports, a passionate and intelligent player with a great shooting touch.
23. New York Knicks - C Sean Williams (S.Williams/McRoberts)
Thomas has said that he doesn't give a damn about mock drafts and will take whichever player he wants at this spot. As much flak as I (along with everyone else) give Thomas, he has been pretty decent in the draft, and I'm expecting a surprise here. Wilson Chandler has been rumoured, but I think it's just way too high for him here, though the same was true of Balkman last year. I don't think there's any chance of them grabbing a guard, so it'll either be a forward or a C, and I think draftexpress may have hit the nail on the head with Sean Williams. Much, much too high for this poor-man's Theo Ratliff IMO, but it makes sense to me from an Isaiah Thomas mindset.
24. Phoenix Suns - C Kyrylo Fesenko (Cook/Belinelli)
Everyone has the Suns going with a backcourt guy, but I think they'll be looking for some size. They could opt to pick the BPA as well, or plan around what they intend to do with trades and signings in the offseason, but I think Fesenko is a good prospect, even if this is probably higher than he is expected to go. He has size, isn't a stiff, and would probably be able to give the Suns a couple of minutes a game straight away.
25. Utah Jazz - SF Jared Dudley (Belinelli/Pruitt)
I think this is a good fit, but in truth the Jazz have a lot of options and this is a hard one to make a guess at. There are a ton of wing players available, and any one of them could end up here. I think Dudley is a guy who could step right in and contribute in the Jazz system, but they may take a gamble on a younger and more athletic player.
26. Houston Rockets - PF Nick Fazekas (Fazekas/Afflalo)
The Draftexpress selection seems to make sense to me. Fazekas has size which will be a need now that Howard is gone, but the question will be whether he's strong enough to play at this level. Rockets could elect to go with one of the guards still available, but I think they should probably look big due to need.
27. Detroit Pistons - SG Marco Belinelli (Byars/Brooks)
If they don't pick up a PG at #15 the Pistons will almost certainly grab either Brooks or Green here, but if they do then I'm thinking it'll be BPA, coming down to Belinelli, Byars, or Almond.
28. San Antonio Spurs - C Aaron Gray (Dudley/Koponen)
Much like the Utah selection, this is one that makes sense to me. I think Gray would work very well in the Spurs system with his passing ability, but again the Spurs may elect to just take the BPA. Gray is a 2nd rounder on a lot of mock drafts, but I think his combination of size and smarts makes him a 1st round talent.
29. Phoenix Suns - SG/SF Derrick Byars (Koponen/Dudley)
BPA. Suns might go Euro here if they don't with their earlier selection, but if not it should be Byars, Almond, Pruitt, or maybe even the shooter Demetris Nichols.
30. Philadelphia Sixers - PG Taurean Green (Green/S.Williams)
Third 1st rounder of this deep draft, and the Sixers still find themselves with plenty of options. Presuming they grab a big with their first selection and a swingman with the second, I'm thinking Taurean Green is a real possibility here, because I just don't think that Louis Williams has shown that he is a legit backup in this league, where as Green might be capable of backing up Andre Miller from day one. Pruitt or Koponen are likely other selections here if either is still available, but I don't see Green slipping out of the first round. If he does, he'd be a Chris Duhon-esque steal in the 2nd IMO.

Other Potential First Rounders

In rough order: SG/SF Morris Almond, PG Gabe Pruitt, PG Petteri Koponen, SG/SF Arron Afflalo, SF/PF Wilson Chandler, SF Demetris Nichols, SF Alando Tucker, SG/SF Marcus Williams, PF Glen Davis.

Any of these guys could sneak in, where as Almond, Pruitt, and Koponen in particular could go as high as the late teens. It's definitely a deep draft, and I'm very disappointed that the Cavs have no selections at all.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Splitter will not go in the first round because of his buyout issues this year(not coming over til 08-09), and as well of the fact that he will be taking a large paycut most likely to play for teens/twenties type of NBA slotted money. If he goes in the 2nd, a team could possibly give him a large enough deal to buy out his contract by using the MLE(larger contract w/ a signing bonus to pay off his buyout), or they could use their MLE the following year and sign him for 2-3 million a year....which would be more than his Euro deal.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #128
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I have a feeling the Bulls are going to make some kind of move that isn't expected. I don't see them taking Yi, he just doesn't seem like the kidn of player that Paxson and Skiles are looking for. Last year, they traded up and out of no where grabbed Thabo which turned out to be a great move for us, and I think this year something similar will happen. We won't be trading up from 9, but I see us maybe trading down and grabbing another "asset" which Pax loves to horde.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #129
RedKingGold
College Starter

I think a team at the bottom of the 1st round will take a stab at Big Baby. He can be a dominant player or the next Tractor Traylor. I guess we'll see.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #130
RedKingGold
College Starter

dola

If the Sixers take who you (Groundhog) think they will, I think I'll vomit.

Hopefully, the team can package two of its picks to move up into the top seven.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think a team at the bottom of the 1st round will take a stab at Big Baby. He can be a dominant player or the next Tractor Traylor. I guess we'll see.

Who?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #132
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Who?

I am assuming he means Glenn "Big Baby" Davis from LSU.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #133
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I am assuming he means Glenn "Big Baby" Davis from LSU.

Yup
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #134
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd be ecstatic if Nic Young is around at the 19th pick.

As for anything to do with Kobe, I think it's best to get the most value for him regardless of what conference he is in. The Lakers passed up a trade of Howard, Nash, and Jamison for Shaq. The Lakers can get much more value for Kobe if he goes to the Suns. Sure he'll torch you 4 times a year, but better to win 50+ games and face Kobe 4 times then face him twice a year and win 35 games
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #135
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think Splitter will not go in the first round because of his buyout issues this year(not coming over til 08-09), and as well of the fact that he will be taking a large paycut most likely to play for teens/twenties type of NBA slotted money. If he goes in the 2nd, a team could possibly give him a large enough deal to buy out his contract by using the MLE(larger contract w/ a signing bonus to pay off his buyout), or they could use their MLE the following year and sign him for 2-3 million a year....which would be more than his Euro deal.

I wasn't aware about this, and it surprises me because he is still ranked as a mid-1st rounder by most mocks out there, including draftexpress who are probably the mock I have the most faith in.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #136
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I have a feeling the Bulls are going to make some kind of move that isn't expected. I don't see them taking Yi, he just doesn't seem like the kidn of player that Paxson and Skiles are looking for. Last year, they traded up and out of no where grabbed Thabo which turned out to be a great move for us, and I think this year something similar will happen. We won't be trading up from 9, but I see us maybe trading down and grabbing another "asset" which Pax loves to horde.

The problem with Yi is that someone is going to take him, yet he doesn't really seem the kind of player that any of the teams picking high are looking for. I also have a very strong feeling that the Bulls are going to part with their pick via a trade-down though. This is a good draft to do it.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #137
Arles
Grey Dog Software

FYI, the Suns had Fesenko in for a workout and had little interest in him (according to the AZ republic):

Quote:
Griffin, comparing Fesenko's workout to that of Jake Tsakalidis, questioned whether his half-court style fits the Suns.

Mike D likes big guys that can run the floor and, according to the workout report, you could time his full court sprint with a sundial.

IMO, the Suns will trade away #29 to save money and keep #24 to draft either SG Marco Belinelli or PF Nick Fazekas.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #138
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

IMO, the Suns will trade away #29 to save money and keep #24 to draft either SG Marco Belinelli or PF Nick Fazekas.

Another route that I have read the Sixers are also considering is drafting a guy like Splitter or another foreign prospect, letting him play elsewhere for a year or 2 to save money now, then bringing him over if they feel he's ready.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #139
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm still pretty sure the Celtics won't take a pg. Rondo and West is more than adequate, what the Celt's really need is a big man to put next to Big Al or a defensive wing like Brewer. Noah is a hell of a hustler, but I can't see them taking him at 5...Horford is the prize after the first 2, but he's gone to Atl or Memphis. So I think that leaves: Yi, Brewer, Green, and Wright.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #140
Atocep
Coordinator

I've read that Atlanta has locked onto Horford and are probably going to take him because they like his ability to contribute now and upside. Memphis reportedly has their decision down to Conley or Noah. I don't think Noah is top-5 material so they could end up taking Conley. That leaves Brewer or Yi for Boston and I'd be suprised if they didn't grab Brewer.

This is an interesting draft. There seems to be a very solid consensus on who the top 12 are going to be, but no one knows what order because 3-12 are so close. After the top 12 there's another 25 or so guys with first round grades, but they're all pretty close as well. Guys like Thaddeus and Nick Young would probably be in the top 10 in most years, this year they'll be lucky if they make the top 15-18.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #141
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I've read that Atlanta has locked onto Horford and are probably going to take him because they like his ability to contribute now and upside. Memphis reportedly has their decision down to Conley or Noah. I don't think Noah is top-5 material so they could end up taking Conley. That leaves Brewer or Yi for Boston and I'd be suprised if they didn't grab Brewer.

If Atlanta don't take Wright they are fools IMO, which probably means that they won't. If they do take Horford, I'd imagine Grizz would take Wright over Conley. The biggest factors that will determine how screwy this draft gets early on are Atlanta, and the trio of big guys Yi/Noah/Hawes.

Quote:
This is an interesting draft. There seems to be a very solid consensus on who the top 12 are going to be, but no one knows what order because 3-12 are so close. After the top 12 there's another 25 or so guys with first round grades, but they're all pretty close as well. Guys like Thaddeus and Nick Young would probably be in the top 10 in most years, this year they'll be lucky if they make the top 15-18.

I think there's a legit 45ish players who could go in the first round, and probably 35 first round talents when compared with your average drafts. As you say, it's shocking that guys like Young, Thaddeus, Thornton and maybe even Julian Wright can slip right down to the late teens or early 20s. Most drafts these guys are maybe early-to-mid lottery selections.

It's definately a swingman draft though, being a little light on major talent PGs and, outside of the top 6 or so picks, starting quality bigmen.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #143
JeeberD
General Manager

Just say no to Fa-weak-ass, k thx...

Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #144
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Just say no to Fa-weak-ass, k thx...

I'd love to have him on the Lakers personally. When it comes to taking players for a pro team, I'll endorse PAC-10 players. I hope that Nic Young falls to the Lakers @19 myself
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #145
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still pretty sure the Celtics won't take a pg. Rondo and West is more than adequate, what the Celt's really need is a big man to put next to Big Al or a defensive wing like Brewer. Noah is a hell of a hustler, but I can't see them taking him at 5...Horford is the prize after the first 2, but he's gone to Atl or Memphis. So I think that leaves: Yi, Brewer, Green, and Wright.

I am coming around to the idea of the Celts making some kind of trade. Not a gut the team trade for a KG but a trade to bring in a reliable veteran and pick up a lower pick.

As far as the Heat goes, I would like to see them pick up a PG to replace the Jason Williams/Gary Payton combo. It would nice to see if Dorell Wright, Wayne Simien, and Earl Barron can get themselves off the bench and actually play. Riley's first round selection history has been less than stellar.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #146
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Correct, no Conley, at least not to keep for themselves.

Although the smart money says Ainge takes him to keep seeing as that might be the worst possible pick.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #147
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'd love to have him on the Lakers personally. When it comes to taking players for a pro team, I'll endorse PAC-10 players.

You do know that Nevada is in the WAC, right?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #148
Groundhog
Coordinator

"I like rebounding," Fesenko said. "With Steve Nash on the court, I can rebound all the time. . . . After the rebound, you can dunk it. This is my favorite part of the game. Dunk over somebody and look in his eyes."

I love this Fesenko guy already. He sounds straight out of the movie Eddie: "Fesenko make basket!"
Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #149
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Reggie Theus is the new coach of the Sacramento Kings
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #150
JeeberD
General Manager

Oh, and speaking of the WAC...Reggie Theus has left NMSU for the Sacto Kings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2909841

New Mexico State coach Reggie Theus is going home again -- back to the NBA and back to the Kings, but this time in Sacramento, not where he starred in Kansas City.

The Sacramento Kings will name Theus their next coach later Tuesday night, multiple sources told ESPN.com. A news conference will follow on Wednesday.

ESPN.com has learned that Theus will get a three-year deal, worth an estimated $6 million.

Theus will replace Eric Musselman, who was fired after the Kings went 33-49 and missed the playoffs in his only season as coach.

Sacramento first offered the job to Stan Van Gundy, but he went to Orlando once Billy Donovan asked out of his signed contract to return to the University of Florida.

Theus interviewed with the Kings twice and won the job over Lakers assistant Brian Shaw. The Kings also talked to another Lakers assistant, Kurt Rambis.

Theus led New Mexico State to the NCAA tournament after winning the WAC tournament in Las Cruces. The NCAA berth, which ended in a first-round loss to Texas, was the first for NMSU since 1999. Theus led NMSU to back-to-back winning seasons in his two seasons at the school. He coached them to a 25-9 record this past season. NMSU was 6-24 in the season before he arrived in 2005. Theus came to NMSU after a two-year stint as an assistant to Rick Pitino in Louisville.

Theus had a contract on the table from NMSU that would have bumped his annual salary from $355,000 to $466,000, with a new five-year rollover.

Theus had been outspoken this spring about his desire to return to NBA. He was an All-Star in the NBA. He played in the league for 13 seasons, mostly with Chicago and Kansas City which became Sacramento in 1985. He also played for Atlanta, Orlando and New Jersey before going to Europe in 1991. He played for Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV from 1976-78.

Theus coached as a volunteer at Cal State-Los Angeles, in the summer leagues for the Sixers and Nuggets, and then the ABA's Las Vegas Slam before Pitino hired him on a whim. Theus also worked in television as an actor.

But his dream was to get to the NBA as a coach, saying many times over the past month to ESPN.com that he was an "NBA guy" and could relate to a player as well as any other coach.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-20-2007 at 06:21 PM.