Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #101
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'm reading Sudhir Venkatesh's "Gang Leader for a Day" it reminds me a lot of the wire, this is the guy that the freakonomcis guys got their info from on gangs in Chicago. A great read so far (about 1/2 way through) and reminds me a lot of the wire- might want to check it out.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Best Buy has the set for $90 as well if anyone wants to do an in-store pickup and not have to wait on shipping.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #103
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
It's pretty much to the point that for me, The Wire is one of those "two kinds of people" things. If you haven't watched it ... and by that, I basically mean if you aren't a diehard fan and dejected every day that it is no longer in production ... then I really don't know what you and I have to talk about, you're almost certainly not my kind of person. With time and the availability of reruns and DVDs and Netflix, it's pretty much to the point that there's no longer any excuse for missing the show.

I know that sounds like the usual "my TV show is great and you suck" puffery. I can live with that. My TV show is great, and if you don't love it too, you probably do suck.

This intrigues me. I got an early Christmas present... this series, and I just finished 1X6 The Pager. Now, so far I like the show. Not just out of my mind about it, maybe it is too early.

But, I am wondering about this comment from Quik. I am curious is part of his love of this show because he is from Maryland. Not to say that is the only reason, or any reason at all, as for instance, I have no real love of the TV show Dallas. But, I have never known Quik to be so adamant about something.

Just an intriguing post from an intriguing guy. So far, I want more Omar kissing guys, that is my desire as a consumer.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 12-23-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #104
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Good to see Time give The Wire the respect it deserves:

The Wire - Best Movies, TV, Books and Theater of the Decade - TIME
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #105
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
But, I am wondering about this comment from Quik. I am curious is part of his love of this show because he is from Maryland. Not to say that is the only reason, or any reason at all, as for instance, I have no real love of the TV show Dallas. But, I have never known Quik to be so adamant about something.

Missed this earlier... part of the reason I started watching was definitely the Baltimore/Maryland references. And as a political insider here, I can tell you that they go a lot deeper than just seeing familiar places and names... there are just *tons* of things in the show that are clearly drawn from or upon real people and events. However, I wouldn't say that's central to my enjoyment of the show. Maybe it's the delta between rating the show A++ versus A+, but I think it's probably on that magnitude.

As far as "when did you get hooked," I think my spot was somewhere in mid-season one when it started crystallizing for me, so roughly where you are. I know a number of people who watched one or two episodes, and basically gave up, usually amidst comments that were carefully stated to avoid sounding racist. For those among them I give a damn about, I generally encouraged them to give it at least 4 episodes before giving up. But your call here, needless to say. I hope you do like it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #106
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Good to see Time give The Wire the respect it deserves:

The Wire - Best Movies, TV, Books and Theater of the Decade - TIME

Awesome!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #107
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I was listening to the radio last night and they were interviewing Sonja Sohn - I hadn't known this, but based on her experience with the show, she took some time off acting and started a charity to work with inner-city youth in Baltimore, and try to use the show to teach people lessons and get them off the street. Pretty cool!

ReWired for Change
Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #108
Senator

Season 1 completed. Thanks to a pretty vicious stomach virus, for the first time in decades, I had 2 days lying sick in bed and so I was able to remain undisturbed, (except for the trips to the vomitorium).

Watched #6 - #13 all in a row. Unbothered! (Hey, married guys with toddlers understand).

Enjoyed it very much. Omar is the boogeyman.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 01-02-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #109
SunDevil
College Prospect

Finished the first season. It was good. Looking forward to watching the other seasons now.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I know David Simon (a.k.a. each succeeding 'season' is better because it's all one story and each segment builds on the prior plot) would hate me for trying to condense it, but imo S1=B+, S2=B-, S3-4=A, S5=A-, and that's probably the consensus viewpoint. I don't want to simply add to an echo chamber of people saying how awesome The Wire is, but I too was dismissive/skeptical when seeing singular scenes/episodes early on. You both have seen S1 and enjoyed it, so trust us - despite S2's early change of direction the whole series only gets better with time and builds to an epic climax while simultaneously doing more to educate people how others live than a lifetime of PBS documentaries. Throw in the 'insider' political references, the multiple meta connections to real life, and the Dickensian aspect of the plot it's worth finishing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #111
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Season 2 was my least favorite- but still very good. Seasons 3, 4, & 5 were the best.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #112
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I loved Season 2! Just wanted to get that out there. Second favorite to 4.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #113
spleen1015
Coordinator

The thing the drew me in at first was McNaulty. That character was the hook for me from the very first episode.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #114
Tigercat
College Starter

I can't wait for Treme, Simon's next HBO show. This one is New Orleans told primarily through the musicians of the Treme neighborhood. Lots of the musicians I work with have already filmed small parts in it. (Mostly playing themselves, which is really cool.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #115
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Starting episode eight of season one right now. So far it has been pretty damn good. I'm not ready to crown it anything as I haven't even finished a season. I'm definitely willing and ready to continue, though, and look forward to the rest of this season and beyond.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks to a number of situations, I still haven't completed season 5. I must do this soon. Based on seasons 1-4, I totally agree with those who claim "The Wire" was the best TV show of the '00's, if not of all time. Whenever I would go on a "The Wire" binge and watch multiple episodes, other TV shows would just pale in comparison.

Apparently, "The Wire" has become such phenomenon that colleges like Duke, Berkeley, and Harvard are offering entire courses on the series.

Blackboard - Curriculum - Deconstructing ‘The Wire’ - NYTimes.com
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-05-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #117
AgustusM
College Prospect

I thought this was great from the Vice Article, especially because it was the one scene in the show I wasn't buying.

So out of all these people, did you pick and choose traits and stories from their realities for Omar? For instance, Omar carries a shotgun. He’s gay. He’s got all these really great characterizations.

Listen, when he jumps out the window during that shootout, that was something Donnie Andrews actually did. He jumped out of the sixth floor of the Murphy Homes when he was caught in an ambush and out of ammunition. Did he think about it? No, but he did it and he survived and he was able to limp away. It happened. He also jumped off the Poplar Grove rail bridge another time. It’s legend. There are people who will tell you about it in West Baltimore other than Donnie. It’s not just something he’s making up. If you make that jump, you’re dead. If I make that jump, I’m a puddle on the ground.

But he did it.
He needed to make the jump and he wasn’t gonna die that time.

I love that Omar’s jump was based on a real story, because that was one of the things in the series where people were like, “Ah, that would never happen. He’d be dead.”

And we actually only had Omar jump from the fourth floor.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #118
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
and the Dickensian aspect

*snorts laughing*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #119
SunDevil
College Prospect

Mother fucking son of a bitch. Season 5 is my least favorite by far. And to have a fucking 8 year old pull the trigger on my favorite character is fucked up.

Mother fucking son of a bitch.

Great series, but again I did not really like season 5 that much. I really liked all the other seasons. I should of watched this years ago.

Oh thanks FOFC I have not slept that much for the last 5 days.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 01-08-2010 at 04:12 AM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #120
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have to agree that I found Season 5 to be my least favorite by far. Still, it's better than anything else.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #121
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I concur. Season 5 was my least favourite. It just seems that it requires a bit more of a leap of faith than other seasons and I found the manufactured serial killer plotline a little convoluted.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #122
Pyser
Pro Rookie

it was always gonna be an 8 year old. go back to the shootout on the street with omar in what, s2?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #123
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The Serial Killer plotline was not their best work, but I can understand what Simon was getting at with it. That aside, Season 5 had some fantastic moments.

Spoiler
Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #124
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Even though it's on DVD I have been watching this really slow.

Just got done with episode 10 of season one ("The Cost"). It's hard to explain. Going into this episode I would have say the show is damn good. Damn good. I having a hard time explaining this so pardon me if it's not eloquent.

Going into this episode would I say it is my favorite show of all-time? Too early to tell. But it definitely hasn't surpassed the Sopranos at the top, thats for sure. Mad Men, probably not. Deadwood? Close.

After the episode? I dont know. I don't believe there was any scene in the Sopranos that had me feeling like I am right now after just watching the end of "The Cost." I'm just... Wow.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-30-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #125
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
After the episode? I dont know. I don't believe there was any scene in the Sopranos that had me feeling like I am right now after just watching the end of "The Cost." I'm just... Wow.

Don't know what else to say, but you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #126
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That's a given, I'd assumed. Hell, it may have just been the shock. With the slow pacing in this show I was never expecting things to turn like that. The way it was shot was great, as well. It felt so.. gritty. Real.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #127
hoopsguy
General Manager

This is next on my "to see" list after blasting through Seasons 1-3 of Mad Men over the last month. I'm very much looking forward to it, although I'm not sure my wife is too thrilled about the prospect of me staying up late every night for two months to watch these episodes
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #128
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Already halfway through season two... Love it.

Sobotka is fucking awesome. The scene where they are getting served to go to the Grand Jury and he stands up and "tells" Bunk that the Union's been through worse was fucking awesome.

Unsure how this one is going to end.. is it possible for the good guys and Sobotka to come out smelling like roses?

Ziggy, though. The boys gotta get his shit together or I see his role coming to an end...
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #129
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Alot of people kind of pooh-poohed on Season 2, but it was one of my personal favorites, largely because of Sobotka.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #130
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I've always felt the same way. My second favorite season after 4. The dock stuff was great, D'Angelos arc was great. Trying to avoid being spoilery.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #131
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

It might just be my high from season one still but season two has pretty much had me from the get go. It may just be the little moments though. I have already fist pumped or let out a woot when McNulty pulling his little games with Homicide, when the Major requested Daniels, and when Daniel's made his request that he gets to form his own squad.

I've enjoyed the storyline with the docks. Like i said, Sobotka is the man.

I didn't mention Dee, though. He is actually one of my favorite characters. I actually enjoy him more then Omar. Loved the scene towards the end of season one when he was being interrogated and he originally gave up the whole crew basically. He finished and he looked tired and just said, " You guys don't understand.. " and then went on to tell how he was born to be involved in the family business. He had no choice.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #132
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Season's 5-7 of the Shield were like that for me as well. I really can't decide which show is better of the two. Depends what day you asked me I suppose.

Although I haven't finished 7 because the lack of subtitles is bugging me, I definitely see what you mean about Seasons 5 and 6.

That said, while I've enjoyed The Shield, it's nowhere close to The Wire for me overall. At its best points, The Shield can challenge The Wire, but The Wire is a much more polished, much more brilliant piece of work.

I'm not saying The Shield isn't good. It is, and I particularly enjoy the acting. But comparing The Shield to The Wire is like comparing an All-Star to One Of, If Not The Greatest To Ever Play The Game.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #133
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
It might just be my high from season one still but season two has pretty much had me from the get go. It may just be the little moments though. I have already fist pumped or let out a woot when McNulty pulling his little games with Homicide, when the Major requested Daniels, and when Daniel's made his request that he gets to form his own squad.

I've enjoyed the storyline with the docks. Like i said, Sobotka is the man.

I didn't mention Dee, though. He is actually one of my favorite characters. I actually enjoy him more then Omar. Loved the scene towards the end of season one when he was being interrogated and he originally gave up the whole crew basically. He finished and he looked tired and just said, " You guys don't understand.. " and then went on to tell how he was born to be involved in the family business. He had no choice.

1, 5 and 2 are all very, very close to me. I originally had it 4 > 1 > 5 > 2 >3 I think, but I could just as easily go 4 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 3, for example.

I've got the urge to start re-watching it now.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #134
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Spoiler
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #135
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #136
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
hey panerd, SPOILER!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #137
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
stuff about Wallace and D'Angelo...

speaking of which, both are in season 4 of Friday Night Lights....which between seasons 3 and 4 obviously became a HUGE fan of the wire

i cant stress enough how good fnl is this season, and you should all check it out when nbc starts running the season soon (the whole show, really, but wire fans will definitely appreciate season 4 especially)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #138
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i cant stress enough how good fnl is this season, and you should all check it out when nbc starts running the season soon (the whole show, really, but wire fans will definitely appreciate season 4 especially)

Wow, that's great to hear. I liked FNL seasons 1 and 3, but while many parts of it were superbly done, the writing could also be quite amateurish at times. Although I find that The Wire makes just about all other dramas seem a little bit amateurish sometimes, even the really good ones.

Really anticipating season 4 now...
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #139
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I was watching the first few episodes of season one with a buddy of mine. I pretty much forced him to start watching it and it was pretty awesome how there were subtle things that I didn't even really pay attention to but happen later on.

Spoiler
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #140
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Finished season two last night. Simon and Co. really know how to close seasons out don't they. They have it mastered.

Really enjoyed it. I see now where people rank the seasons and they say there is not much difference from their top and their bottom. Because I'm unsure if season two or season one was better but if I had to choose I would so far have it as:

1 > 2

The first two-thirds of each season were pretty equal. I may give season two a slight advantage to one as I felt like I was instantly drawn to season two more then one. That very well could have been left over emotion from the end of season one, which is why I give season one the edge over two. I felt the last few episodes of season one just nailed me right in the nose with emotion. Had I waited a year in between seasons I may not have been into season two's start.

Spoiler

Who played Nick's father? He wasn't shown much but I did really enjoy the scenes with him.

Now I am just waiting on season three, which will hopefully be tomorrow. I have been ordering these through the library's online catalogue. It's been In Transit for a day or two so I am hopefully going to get a phone call tomorrow. If not tomorrow, for sure on Monday.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #141
Radii
Head Coach

I want to reply scoobz but I cannot remember exactly where the story left off after season 2 vs what happens in 3 so I will not!

But, keep posting, The Wire is so great that I always enjoy seeing other people's impressions and seeing any chatter about the show. Bill Simmons was talking to... someone, a TV Critic type on his podcast recently and they brought up The Wire, and they just treated the show differently than any other show they discussed. They didn't want to reveal spoilers even though the series ended years ago. One of them made a comment something like "any time someone I know starts to watch The Wire I'm genuinely happy for them, and also a little jealous, because I've already seen it so there's no way to have that incredible experience of going through the series for first time again."

That's pretty much how I feel about it at this point, I never get tired of seeing others post their impressions as they watch the show for the first time.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #142
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That's pretty much how I feel about it at this point, I never get tired of seeing others post their impressions as they watch the show for the first time.

Same here and I don't feel that way about any other TV show.

Last edited by Izulde : 02-05-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #143
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I want to reply scoobz but I cannot remember exactly where the story left off after season 2 vs what happens in 3 so I will not!

But, keep posting, The Wire is so great that I always enjoy seeing other people's impressions and seeing any chatter about the show. Bill Simmons was talking to... someone, a TV Critic type on his podcast recently and they brought up The Wire, and they just treated the show differently than any other show they discussed. They didn't want to reveal spoilers even though the series ended years ago. One of them made a comment something like "any time someone I know starts to watch The Wire I'm genuinely happy for them, and also a little jealous, because I've already seen it so there's no way to have that incredible experience of going through the series for first time again."

Spoiler

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #144
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
One of them made a comment something like "any time someone I know starts to watch The Wire I'm genuinely happy for them, and also a little jealous, because I've already seen it so there's no way to have that incredible experience of going through the series for first time again."

Even though I just finished season two and still have a ways to go that thought crossed my mind. That there is only five seasons, and that sometime in the near future this will come to an end. I just don't want it to end...
Old 02-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #145
Logan
Head Coach

The TV critic you're talking about is Tim Goodman, I think from the San Francisco Chronicle. Might be worth checking out some of his old columns for the "deconstructs" of each episode.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #146
Izulde
Head Coach

I had someone tell me the other day that I looked like a white version of Omar.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #147
Senator

LMFAO

Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #148
cartman
Death Herald

IZULDE COMIN'
Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #149
Izulde
Head Coach

*whistles and carries his shotgun*

Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #150
21C
College Prospect

I don't know if this has been posted before or not but this site has three scripts from the show including the one for the finale and the original series bible that David Simon used to pitch the show to HBO:
The Wire Bible