Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #101
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Congrats you playoff FOOLXers.

In hindsight, I should have done what my instincts told me to do and completely gutted the team. I just about ran a bunch of scrubs out there, but I just couldn't bring myself to not compete. Now I'm pretty much locked in to trying to make my team better through FA for the next 4 years instead of taking my lumps and sucking for a little while. JT and Chief will end up being better off for their sucking, I'd imagine.

For whatever its worth, one of the best achievements I felt in the other FOOL league was the long run you had without having a really horrible team. I know that ended at some point the last decade or two, but that pretty much in my mind is the ideal goal of any FOOL team. Not the yearly championship, but instead a long long long history of always trying to compete.

I know for myself, one of my goals was to always try to be above .500 ball. I absolutely despised having a losing record. So for me, watching a team that doesn't necessarily have the stud players that an overall #1 pick might give try to compete makes me root very hard for their success!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #102
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
For whatever its worth, one of the best achievements I felt in the other FOOL league was the long run you had without having a really horrible team. I know that ended at some point the last decade or two, but that pretty much in my mind is the ideal goal of any FOOL team. Not the yearly championship, but instead a long long long history of always trying to compete.

I know for myself, one of my goals was to always try to be above .500 ball. I absolutely despised having a losing record. So for me, watching a team that doesn't necessarily have the stud players that an overall #1 pick might give try to compete makes me root very hard for their success!

Bah! Show me the money and the stud prospects!

Nah, I hear ya. It sucks to lose, I guess that why the draft can be so rewarding. It helps to take away some of the sting from not being able to compete the previous season.

Join Here: http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/...eagueId=391368
League ID: 391368
League Password: provided on request
ShoelessJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #103
MattG
Mascot

Finally after years of suffering the Portland faithful have something to cheer about!
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Congrats you playoff FOOLXers.

In hindsight, I should have done what my instincts told me to do and completely gutted the team. I just about ran a bunch of scrubs out there, but I just couldn't bring myself to not compete. Now I'm pretty much locked in to trying to make my team better through FA for the next 4 years instead of taking my lumps and sucking for a little while. JT and Chief will end up being better off for their sucking, I'd imagine.

But I'm not trying to SUCK!

(Poor Chief... )

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-20-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I agree with this, and have always made it a goal of mine with Colorado/Atlanta/Hammersmith (and one I think I have largely succeeded at).

Here, unfortunately, I have had a couple truly awful seasons these past two campaigns, although I have the same approach here with Havana as I do with Hammersmith in FOOL.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to strip it down and go for a rebuild. It's a different way--maybe even a better way--of getting your team back to the top, since you get the real stud prospects that way. But, like Alan, I always have felt that a true mark of good roster management is to be able to keep your team competitive for titles for long stretches of time without having to do a true rebuild. And Tasan has done that wuite well with Colorado in FOOL. And Kevin here in FOOLX (although he has largely been unsuccessful with the titles).

Needless to say, given how much I value that, "earning" the #1 pick is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #106
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJ03 View Post
You could always trade your draft crop to me and continue to lose (win the rivaly with Chief), if you hate drafting #1 so much.

I'll be happy to help your situation and further the cause.

LoL no prob sounds good. You can have my last couple big contracts as well
JTSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #107
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Quote:

Agreed for the most part, as I personally hate picking #1. Though at the same time I hate just as much playing with another Gm's players, especially when the team finishes dead last with those players prior to me arriving

I almost always completely gut any team I take over and start from scratch. Its more fun for me to play with my own players.

If there was an option to start with 0 players in my organization, that would of been an opportunity Id jump at.

Last edited by JTSMOOTH : 05-20-2010 at 06:38 PM.
JTSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #108
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Just got a chance to look at the file. If Ray Crawford and his 2.5 pitches hadn't been in the rotation (I never use a 5 man, not sure what I was thinking) things would have went much more smoothly.