Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #101
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I know Jackson, MI. is suppose to have a really good BBQ place. When somebody was finding the best BBQ in the state, a guy from Texas called the reviewer and told them they were going to eat the best this side of the Mississippi or something like that since the caller was the one who taught almost everything he knew to the guy who runs the place in Jackson. We also got an amazing place here in Lansing. It's funny because the place is called Meat, and they simply list drinks underneath vegetarian.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #102
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Heck there are SEVERAL better places in Birmingham (Hoover is a suburb btw) I would start with Saw's Barbeque in Homewood...(There is another location called Saw's Juke Joint, but I haven't been there)
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #103
TRO
College Prospect

Don't go putting words in our mouths Mizzou. SI put it correctly that this is akin to a religious argument in KC, there is no true list.

I have little problem in Jack Stack being considered for a top 10 list, they are damn good.

For the record, my number one is Okie Joes. I think Bryant's and Gates are both a bit overrated.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #104
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(My thoughts on Bryant and Gates are that if you could combine them you'd have a super BBQ but Bryant has good meat with mediocre sauce while Gates is great sauce with mediocre meat)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #105
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
WTF moment here. I'm not sure Jack Stack is even on the top 3 in KC for most residents, yet somehow they were listed as top three in the nation in this list.

Top 10 barbecue restaurants in the US | Fox News

Forgot the layup joke of: Well, it is Fox News

SI

Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #106
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most would put Oklahoma Joe's (even if it it owned by beakers), Arthur Bryant's, Gates, or Smoke Stack in front of Jack Stack. There's no way it's better than all four of those places.
I know a lot of people who have Jack Stack as their favorite place. It's not a huge stretch, but it seems outdated. Two years ago if you wanted to name a best KC BBQ place that wasn't one of the Old Guard (Gates, Bryant's, etc.) you went with Jack Stack now it's Oklahoma Joe's.

Honestly, I'd probably put Jack Stack ahead of Bryant's or Gates. Midtown is too fancy for me, so give me the Martin City location. Gates has restored some of its glory, but I generally find their meat too dry. I put Bryant's in the overrated category too. They would be pretty low on the list for me behind LC's, Danny Edwards and a lot of others.

With the Smokestack, are you talking about the one in Waldo? It closed a while back, but it was actually owned by another member of the Fiorella family (Jack Fiorella being the Jack in Jack Stake) that family doesn't get it long, and have been in long-running BBQ restaurant feud.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #107
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I know I'm wading into what is very nearly a religious argument here, but I find it amusing the idea that locations other than Kansas, Missouri, Texas, etc. could possibly have top-notch BBQ. As if quality ingredients are only available there, and knowledgeable cooks are unable to move to other locations.

I've had outstanding BBQ in Miami (Shorty's) and more than adequate BBQ here in Seattle. I've also had fried chicken here in Seattle that would rank with any in the country (Heaven Sent, the new chain started by the Ezell who founded Ezell's).

But I'm sure the true believers will tell me how wrong I am, so I'll step away...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I know I'm wading into what is very nearly a religious argument here, but I find it amusing the idea that locations other than Kansas, Missouri, Texas, etc. could possibly have top-notch BBQ. As if quality ingredients are only available there, and knowledgeable cooks are unable to move to other locations.

I've had outstanding BBQ in Miami (Shorty's) and more than adequate BBQ here in Seattle. I've also had fried chicken here in Seattle that would rank with any in the country (Heaven Sent, the new chain started by the Ezell who founded Ezell's).

But I'm sure the true believers will tell me how wrong I am, so I'll step away...

Wait, did you say fried chicken???????? In a BBQ thread? Good God man.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #109
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
(My thoughts on Bryant and Gates are that if you could combine them you'd have a super BBQ but Bryant has good meat with mediocre sauce while Gates is great sauce with mediocre meat)

SI

Agreed.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #110
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't rule out that someone can learn how to barbecue in non-traditional areas but it's going to be rare for a lot of reasons. Chief among them is that the local market isn't accustomed to barbecue and it's not a primary dining destination. I chuckle at the idea of California barbecue because I don't think they enjoy fat out there as much as us midwesterners and southerners.

I actually do think quality ingredients are an issue. The best barbecue places are going to use the highest quality meats, and the best meats are freshly butchered and never frozen. There are many places across the country where getting fresh cuts of beef and pork are very difficult to impossible. It's the same reason why I don't expect to find a Kansas City restaurant on the list of top 10 seafood restaurants.

I try not to eat barbecue when I travel because it's usually going to be an assault on my palate. But just like other regional foods, if you have a list of the ten best barbecue restaurants and you have more than restaurant the range of Missouri/Kansas/Texas to the Carolinas, I'm highly skeptical, just as I would be if I see two restaurants from landlocked states on a list of top seafood.

I'll assume you were just using good fried chicken outside the south as an example, since we all (hopefully) know that fried chicken is not BBQ.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #111
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I try not to eat barbecue when I travel because it's usually going to be an assault on my palate. But just like other regional foods, if you have a list of the ten best barbecue restaurants and you have more than restaurant the range of Missouri/Kansas/Texas to the Carolinas, I'm highly skeptical, just as I would be if I see two restaurants from landlocked states on a list of top seafood.
Cattle, pigs and chicken are raised in places beyond just the midwest

So while I get the trepidation of seafood in places not close to the coast, it's not quite the same thing as with beef, pork or chicken.

Quote:
I'll assume you were just using good fried chicken outside the south as an example, since we all (hopefully) know that fried chicken is not BBQ.
Sure, I wasn't trying to equate fried chicken with BBQ; I was only making the regional food specialty comparison.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #112
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cattle, pigs and chicken are raised in places beyond just the midwest

So while I get the trepidation of seafood in places not close to the coast, it's not quite the same thing as with beef, pork or chicken.
A few years ago we were in DC for a convention and took a group out to a fancy restaurant with seafood and steaks. We mentioned to the waiter we were from Kansas City, and he laughed. He said that is where they get their steaks. He said just like good restaurants in the Midwest fly in fresh seafood, they fly in fresh beef. I've since learned that's a pretty common practice for high-end restaurants.

Sure, there are livestock everywhere. But we have more cattle than people. There are almost 10 million head of cattle in Kansas & Missouri and 8.6 million people. Meanwhile there are 7 people for every head of cattle in California and 15 people for every head in New York. About 60% of U.S. beef comes from the region from Montana to Wisconsin and south to Texas. If you don't live in that region, most of your beef comes from us -- and virtually all of it is frozen at some point.

Chickens are even worse. About 90% of the nation's chicken supply comes from below the Mason-Dixon line. There are more than a billion chickens in Missouri and Arkansas alone. If you live west of Missouri (outside Texas) your chickens from from half a continent away. For pork outside North Carolina, Virgina and Pennsylvania, the rest of the nation's hog population is located between Ohio and Colorado. If you live on the West Coast or northeast including New York, you've got frozen pork.

Did you want to talk about livestock populations or were you just making chit chat?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #113
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A few years ago we were in DC for a convention and took a group out to a fancy restaurant with seafood and steaks. We mentioned to the waiter we were from Kansas City, and he laughed. He said that is where they get their steaks. He said just like good restaurants in the Midwest fly in fresh seafood, they fly in fresh beef. I've since learned that's a pretty common practice for high-end restaurants.

Sure, there are livestock everywhere. But we have more cattle than people. There are almost 10 million head of cattle in Kansas & Missouri and 8.6 million people. Meanwhile there are 7 people for every head of cattle in California and 15 people for every head in New York. About 60% of U.S. beef comes from the region from Montana to Wisconsin and south to Texas. If you don't live in that region, most of your beef comes from us -- and virtually all of it is frozen at some point.

Chickens are even worse. About 90% of the nation's chicken supply comes from below the Mason-Dixon line. There are more than a billion chickens in Missouri and Arkansas alone. If you live west of Missouri (outside Texas) your chickens from from half a continent away. For pork outside North Carolina, Virgina and Pennsylvania, the rest of the nation's hog population is located between Ohio and Colorado. If you live on the West Coast or northeast including New York, you've got frozen pork.

Did you want to talk about livestock populations or were you just making chit chat?
Plenty of local chicken and beef in my state (most of what's available in my stores is locally-grown), and quite a few of the places I frequent use Washington-bred meat.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Absolutely. There's a huge difference in food quality. The ONLY reason I miss living in Baltimore is because of the seafood. The difference in quality was embarrassing compared to what we have in KC. However, you could take a bite of steak and quickly figure out if it was a Midwest steak, whether it was frozen or not and what kind of feed it ate.

It's no different than my industry. Could I grow some California grapes in my area? Yeah, a few. Would they taste anywhere near as good as if they were grown in native soils where they grow well? No way, hence the reason we grow the grapes in this area that provide the best flavor and body given our soil content and moisture.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #115
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Plenty of local chicken and beef in my state (most of what's available in my stores is locally-grown), and quite a few of the places I frequent use Washington-bred meat.
Statistically it's unlikely. I don't see in consumption by state data, but if Washington state had an average per capita beef consumption, local production is only able to provide 50% of demand. For chickens it's less than that, less than 25%.

If you guys don't eat much beef and chicken, then yeah, you have enough beef and chicken. But if you don't eat that much, it's because you don't know how to barbecue.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #116
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Absolutely. There's a huge difference in food quality. The ONLY reason I miss living in Baltimore is because of the seafood. The difference in quality was embarrassing compared to what we have in KC. However, you could take a bite of steak and quickly figure out if it was a Midwest steak, whether it was frozen or not and what kind of feed it ate.

It's no different than my industry. Could I grow some California grapes in my area? Yeah, a few. Would they taste anywhere near as good as if they were grown in native soils where they grow well? No way, hence the reason we grow the grapes in this area that provide the best flavor and body given our soil content and moisture.
Exactly. It's true of any food. I grew up on a farm, and after we moved off the farm I ate a lot less vegetables. Store bought tomatoes, green beans and peas just tasted awful. It took a long time before I could get accustomed to food that wasn't fresh grown. Yes, you can get food at farmer's markets, but as small farmers we kept the best food for ourselves and sold the rest.

Milk was the hardest. I grew up on home pasteurized whole milk. There is nothing like it. I always brought a thermos of tea to drink for lunch at school because the only drink available with our school lunch as milk, and even whole milk in a carton was awful. The first time I drank skim milk, I threw up.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #117
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There is also the fact that humans inspire each other to greater and greater heights.

One of the things I miss about New Orleans is the ultra-high quality of the restaurants. Basically, if a place stays open for 6 months or more, you know that it is great, because it is isn't, then it would have closed down. (There might be a small exception for a place called, like, Jambalaya Cafe, and located in the heart of tourist country--it might be able to survive totally on tourists).

I am sure that BBQ in a place like KC is the same way. A BBQ restaurant that might be one of the best in town in non BBQ country might not last 3 months in a place like KC or Texas. Same thing with a seafood restaurant in Charleston, or a sushi place in coastal California. When the bar for success is set higher, we tend to elevate our game to compete.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There is also the fact that humans inspire each other to greater and greater heights.

One of the things I miss about New Orleans is the ultra-high quality of the restaurants. Basically, if a place stays open for 6 months or more, you know that it is great, because it is isn't, then it would have closed down. (There might be a small exception for a place called, like, Jambalaya Cafe, and located in the heart of tourist country--it might be able to survive totally on tourists).

I am sure that BBQ in a place like KC is the same way. A BBQ restaurant that might be one of the best in town in non BBQ country might not last 3 months in a place like KC or Texas. Same thing with a seafood restaurant in Charleston, or a sushi place in coastal California. When the bar for success is set higher, we tend to elevate our game to compete.

Oh yeah. This is very true. It's laughable how many people try to open up a BBQ restaurant in KC serving wholesale-bought sauces or frozen meats. People will sniff that out in no time and you'll be out of business in 2-3 months.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #119
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Oh yeah. This is very true. It's laughable how many people try to open up a BBQ restaurant in KC serving wholesale-bought sauces or frozen meats. People will sniff that out in no time and you'll be out of business in 2-3 months.

Though somehow Famous Dave's has survived (granted, near the tourist trap of a speedway complex) and has a 2nd location opened in Overland Park.

Blech.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #120
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
Though somehow Famous Dave's has survived (granted, near the tourist trap of a speedway complex) and has a 2nd location opened in Overland Park.

Blech.

We had one open up here recently. I have low expectations for a name chain like that though. I'm sure I'll try it out and then go back to better places.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #121
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Statistically it's unlikely. I don't see in consumption by state data, but if Washington state had an average per capita beef consumption, local production is only able to provide 50% of demand. For chickens it's less than that, less than 25%.

If you guys don't eat much beef and chicken, then yeah, you have enough beef and chicken. But if you don't eat that much, it's because you don't know how to barbecue.
While some of the restaurants might be lying, I'm pretty sure the packages labeled as fresh local Washington-raised chicken & beef that I buy in my grocery stores aren't.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post

Blech.

Yeah, they usually set up in the high-traffic areas for out of town travelers. In Baltimore, there were a bunch of people who referenced me to Famous Dave's as a great place for BBQ. I just chuckled.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #123
larrymcg421
Head Coach

We have Famous Dave's here in GA and it's pretty weak, as are most sanitized big chain BBQ restaurants. My general rule of thumb: The worse the restaurant looks on the outside, the better the BBQ tastes inside.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
We have Famous Dave's here in GA and it's pretty weak, as are most sanitized big chain BBQ restaurants. My general rule of thumb: The worse the restaurant looks on the outside, the better the BBQ tastes inside.

Arthur Bryant's takes that a step further. I always go to the original location, where they have wood tables and linoleum floors. You can literally feel the grease on the floor when you walk through the place. That's how you know there's a great BBQ pit located in the building.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #125
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
List is bullshit because there is no way Montgomery Inn in cinci is a top 10 BBQ place in the country.

i'd rather go to old hickory... if it's still there. Haven't been back to Dayton since 2000.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty impressive work by the KC joints on this list of best ribs. Three of the top four best ribs in the nation and four of the top eight.

America's 35 Best Ribs | The Daily Meal
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #127
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty impressive work by the KC joints on this list of best ribs. Three of the top four best ribs in the nation and four of the top eight.

America's 35 Best Ribs | The Daily Meal

Looks like I'll be going to #5 from this particular list this week on the way to San Antonio

SI

Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

They don't call it the President's Sauce for nothing. I'm sure his photo will be alongside all the other presidential photos when I go in there next week........

Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #129
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Hell mizzou.. I think the dickeys in liberty is
Better then Arthur Bryant's at this point.. Last
3 times to Bryant's has been subpar at best..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #130
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Hell mizzou.. I think the dickeys in liberty is
Better then Arthur Bryant's at this point.. Last
3 times to Bryant's has been subpar at best..

You're going to hell in gasoline underpants.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #131
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just ate some BBQ from Franklin's in Austin. The brisket is indeed the best I've ever tasted. Simply incredible.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How long was the wait?

SI

Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #133
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Preorder, baby!

They open up pre-orders for the next month about the middle of the month. So when it opened up for August on July 14th, we sent in an order at 12:02am. When I got there at 10:15, the line was already around the block. With the pre-order, I was able to just walk right in and get the stuff. When I was walking back to my car, I overheard someone on their phone that just got there, and said they left because they wouldn't get to eat until 2-2:30.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just ate some BBQ from Franklin's in Austin. The brisket is indeed the best I've ever tasted. Simply incredible.

Nice.

We ended up going to Lambert's and I thought it was pretty good.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #135
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I dream about eating there.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #136
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Had Jack stack burnt ends and crown prime today.. yum
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Had Jack stack burnt ends and crown prime today.. yum

Damn you!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #138
cartman
Death Herald

Austin, the Best New Barbecue Destination

I never get tired of seeing this:

Last edited by cartman : 11-18-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #139
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Is this picture allowed? I'm pretty sure it's porn.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #140
timmae
College Starter

Oh my!

That reminds me I have a site visit for work tomorrow that may result in some BBQ for lunch on my way back into the city. Good timing!!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #141
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Saltlick?

Saltlick.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Is this picture allowed? I'm pretty sure it's porn.

It's better than porn........ ok.... very close.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #143
cartman
Death Herald

Google is way too conservative on the drive time from my house to the Salt Lick.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #144
Dutch
"Dutch"

Austin eh? Dem boyz don't play.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #145
DanGarion
Coordinator

Best BBQ North of Dallas (Plano area)?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #146
DanGarion
Coordinator

To answer my question, Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano, TX is worth the trip. Great beef ribs and some amazing bread pudding.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #147
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Google is way too conservative on the drive time from my house to the Salt Lick.

Why go to Saltlick when there are such better places for BBQ around Austin. Such as Southside Market in Elgin and Black's BBQ in Lockhart?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #148
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I must eat BBQ this weekend!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #149
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I must eat BBQ this weekend!

I'm having lunch at the Salt Lick tomorrow
Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #150
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Raiders were feasting on some tasty KC BBQ tonight...