Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #101
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

BF BC 2 is my favorite shooter to date.. I'm not worried one bit about BF 3.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Battlefield series is pretty solid. I don't have many concerns about it following Bad Company 2.

Quadruple ranged shotguns with sniper like accuracy & the worst matchmaking & lag issues I've ever experienced with any MP game leave me considerably less convinced. Which warrants nothing more than a big shrug I realize, just sayin'.

Quote:
In fact, that game has made it so I can likely never play a shooter without destructable environments ever again.

Those are indeed nice & really ought to be industry standard at this point afaic.

At the end of the day, in the whole MW v BF war, I'm left with the answer I've given my son more than once on the question: BF is at least a marginally better game, but it's significantly less fun to play for me as an MP experience. And I've reached the realization that I'm just not into linear shooters enough to feel like any of them are worth the pricetag solely for single player.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #103
RainMaker
General Manager

They nerfed shotguns awhile back and have done a good job with balancing out weapons. The only thing that is unbalanced is choppers which you don't really have a good way of taking down if it's being flown by a good pilot. The matchmaking is shoddy still depending on when you are playing. Haven't had much lag outside the first few weeks of launch which is typical with any EA game.

I hope destructable environments become industry standard. Love knowing a guy is camping in the corner of a house and just blowing the wall down and killing him.

I don't mind MW, it's just I feel it's one of those games that relies much more on how much you play and your stick skills. BF always involved more strategy and you don't necessarily have to be great with the stick to have good games. There are so many ways to help your team whether it be as a medic healing/reviving people, recon throwing motion balls, or repairing vehicles as an engineer.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #104
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MP aside, the solo campaign in BF BC 2 I thought was excellent.

MW is better as far as MP is, although I'm still not that big into MP.

There was a great write up on BF 3 in Game Informer this month, check if out if you haven't yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #105
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't mind MW, it's just I feel it's one of those games that relies much more on how much you play and your stick skills. BF always involved more strategy and you don't necessarily have to be great with the stick to have good games. There are so many ways to help your team whether it be as a medic healing/reviving people, recon throwing motion balls, or repairing vehicles as an engineer.

I prefer BF 1000 times over MW and this is the main reason why. You actually have to use some teamwork and strategy in BF while you can get away with doing your own thing in MW. That's just not as fun for me personally. You can also be a big help to your team even if you're just starting out by doing things like playing a medic, repairing vehicles, ect.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #106
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They nerfed shotguns awhile back and have done a good job with balancing out weapons.

Didn't realize that, but haven't really played since maybe the first couple of weeks after the Vietnam map pack was released.

Quote:
I don't mind MW, it's just I feel it's one of those games that relies much more on how much you play and your stick skills. BF always involved more strategy and you don't necessarily have to be great with the stick to have good games.

That's the thing I'm not completely sold on at this point, for the simple reason that I seem to have very little in the way of stick skills but I've reached the point of being competitive most nights* as long as I stick to FFA or TDM. Now that may be nothing more than the other thing you mention: time. I've spent a ghastly amount of hours (since I'm not a prolific scorer) to reach Prest 2 + Level 21, maybe the improvement I'm seeing in my performance is based on map knowledge at this point ... but I also have little sense of direction & a lousy memory, so that's hard for me to completely believe either. Hell, maybe at this point the level of competition is simply coming back down to me as people have moved on.

* I say "most nights" because I tend to play mostly between 10p & 3a Eastern. 8p on a Friday? I'm still toast, usually ending up in games where I'm the only guy who isn't a 15th prestige.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dola -- just played a little BFBC2 for the first time in a while tonight, quickly remember why I stopped after spending 5-10 minutes in a Squad DM that had a total of four players in it until a 3 player clan dropped in & laid waste to everyone. For several minutes it was 1 vs 2, me against a guy on the ground & a guy in a chopper trying to find me. Then a 3rd squad consisting of one player arrived (instead of being added to my squad to even things up). He quits after a couple of minutes & the eventual winners showed up.

My son says my matchmaking issues like that are about my game mode preference, that I'd see better results in Rush or Conquest mode ... alas, I'm not a fan of either mode (similar to how few modes in MW I like either).

I really do like the spotting feature, I like the terrain destruction ... it's just that the experience doesn't equal the parts for me. Again {shrug}, every game ain't for everybody.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-03-2011 at 09:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #108
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The first one was so terrible, there doesn't exist enough payola in the world to make me touch the second.

General reviews seemed to be:

1. It's way better
2. It's really weird
3. If you aren't going to log enough hours on Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim this year, and feel you need yet ANOTHER rpg, then go for it.
4. it's kind of buggy and still has a lot of room for improvement
5. this game is REALLY fucking weird

I haven't playe the first or the second, but the general puzzlement at how strange some of the missions were almost made me want to check it out.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #109
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I never played Two Worlds though I did see a few videos of glitches and people complaining about how terrible it was. But the second one seems like it might be good, I've read some mostly positive impressions of it and it's stunning graphically.

I might pick it up in a few months, eventually one of the digital download services will have it on sale.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

More Battlefield 3

More Battlefield 3 footage captured on shakycam | Joystiq
Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #111
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I'm looking forward to this one, especially after the big disappoint that Blops was. Hopefully it has better modding and server options than Bad Company 2 though.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #112
TroyF
Coordinator

The Show and MLB2K11 come out today along with Dragon Age 2.

With my travel schedule this summer, I will be picking up MLB2K11 for the PC. I hope it will give me an acceptable game of baseball. The Show is always mandatory and I'll probably pick up the PSP version as well.

Outside of the ridiculous anatomy jokes, I've had a lot of fun with Bulletstorm. I love the sandbox games as much as anyone, but it's sometimes nice just to blow crap up and go with the flow of the game.

I've also been playing a lot of Torchlight on the PC. Very, very fun game. Torchlight 2 will be out this year sometime. It will be an early pick up for me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Homefront campaign is 5 hours. Srsly? I play Zynga games longer than that in a day for free. Better have one hell of a multi-player experience or this might go down as one of the big busts (in terms of likability, the pre-orders probably cover the sales aspect) in recent years.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ve-hours-long/
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #114
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Homefront campaign is 5 hours. Srsly? I play Zynga games longer than that in a day for free. Better have one hell of a multi-player experience or this might go down as one of the big busts (in terms of likability, the pre-orders probably cover the sales aspect) in recent years.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ve-hours-long/

This goes into my list of will not buy games.

Screw that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looking forward to the Show 11 thread on FOFC. Don't have it yet, but the reviews and early feedback at OS are extremely good. That impressions thread is much easier to navigate now that they are cracking down on people posting that don't have the game.

Did Sega pull the plug on any release day reviews of 2K11? I can't seem to track any down, but maybe I'm missing something.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #116
SackAttack
Head Coach

Psst. MBBF.

Sega has exactly nothing to do with MLB2k* anymore.

Nor NBA2k*. Nor NHL2k*.

That would be the bailiwick of Take-Two Games.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Psst. MBBF.

Sega has exactly nothing to do with MLB2k* anymore.

Nor NBA2k*. Nor NHL2k*.

That would be the bailiwick of Take-Two Games.

Sorry, I'm not in the industry anymore.

So did Take-Two nix the release day reviews?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #118
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dunno. They don't send me early product when they send me product, so I'm not the one to ask about that, really.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Dunno. They don't send me early product when they send me product, so I'm not the one to ask about that, really.

Games that don't give out early copies make me REALLY nervous. If they're not putting out early review copies, there's usually a reason and it's usually not good.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-08-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #120
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Games that don't give out early copies make me REALLY nervous. If they're not putting out early review copies, there's usually a reason and it's usually not good.

Well, I don't have debug units on hand, and I'd wager that somewhere on the order of 90% of all early product is typically debug code. The only company with which I've ever dealt that sent green copies is Atlus (which does that for everything; they don't screw around with retail copies), and only once or twice have I ever gotten a retail copy early, and that usually not much more than a couple of days early. Can count on one hand the number of times that's happened, with fingers left over. Halo 2's the only one I can actively remember.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

G4 gives DAII only 3/5

Dragon Age II Review for Xbox 360 - G4tv
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #122
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pasta Padre did quick thoughts on MLBk11. Computer AI seems to be a disaster.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 AM   #123
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

Sounds like everyone predicted, they took one the better games of the last 5 years and turned it into Mass Effect: Fantasy RPG. Meh, meh, meh and meh.

And yes, that's entirely a matter of personal preference, but there will be many more mass effect games. DA2: more of DA1 would have been a much more welcome game, for me at least.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #124
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sounds like everyone predicted, they took one the better games of the last 5 years and turned it into Mass Effect: Fantasy RPG. Meh, meh, meh and meh.

And yes, that's entirely a matter of personal preference, but there will be many more mass effect games. DA2: more of DA1 would have been a much more welcome game, for me at least.

From playing about 6 hours yesterday this pretty much seems to be the case. A lot of it seems dumbed down and the combat has taken a step backwards. It's advertised as faster combat because of the animations, but I find myself having to pause far more often than I did in Origins. The lack of auto attack and no tactical camera make it tougher to check on other characters during combat, and for some reason more rapid basic attacks was countered with cool downs that seem to be 4 to 8 times longer than in Origins (the worst offender, Heal has a 40 second cooldown).

Having party members that can only use a single type of weapon and you can't equip armor to is also an annoyance for an RPG, and it's made almost all of the equipment I've found worthless. Just found a great set of plate armor? Too bad, you're playing as a rouge and can't have your tank wear it. I fear that this was more a business decision than a "streamlined" designed decision though, I expect we'll see "Companion Appearance DLC" in the coming months. I'm also guessing we won't see a modding toolset released for the same reason.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #125
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola

One more thing to add, I haven't gotten this far yet but from what I've read there's only one dungeon in the game. When you progress it keeps being reused while unlocking some doors that were closed the previous time you went in.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #126
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The new Deus Ex is coming out August 23rd. Can't fucking wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #127
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how much Bioware is going to "Mass Effect" TOR. It seems rather heavy from some clips as is.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #128
mckerney
Coordinator

This is review of Dragon Age 2 that is most on point with my experience so far.

Quote:
I have been playing the game for about 12 hours so far and here are my thoughts to help others make a decision on the $60 purchase (plus $5.99 if you want the Exiled Prince DLC). A lot of those negative user reviews are on point.

The combat is monotonous. You face legions of identical enemies. There is not much point for "tactical" combat, since during a single encounter enemies continue to spawn all around you, appearing out of thin air or "jumping" down from the ceiling. Because of this, your tank cannot really pick everything up, so I have found huddling around the tank and spamming AoEs to be effective on every difficulty.

The setting is great and I really like the art style and graphics, but the story, so far, is dull. The game features a lot of time skipping, so the narrative as a whole feels disjointed; and thus far, I have felt very little connection to the characters or places in the game. The game world itself is a city (mainstream reviews have confirmed you spend about 90% of the game in the city), much like Denerim. A city map features locations you can zoom to.

To give you an example of combat and story, the 15 or so side quests I have completed are as follows: Talk to a person and get quest, zoom to location on map where the quest says it is, follow the linear path going through four to five of the aforementioned combat encounters, loot quest item, zoom back and hand in quest. That is repeated in every quest I have done, often visiting identical locations.

You cannot really interact with many people, most just say a line when you click on them, including companions. Companions offer a conversation once in a while, so infrequently you do not need to worry about missing it since they send you mail letting you know they want to talk.

Those are my biggest concerns so far. Overall, I am just trying to get through it to finish the story, but I am not sure I will even manage that. I bought it for PC. If I could get a refund, I would. If you really, really liked DAO (and are expecting more of the same) you will most likely be disappointed. I enjoyed DAO but I enjoyed Mass Effect 1 & 2 more. Sadly, DA2 does not really seem to be living up to either series. Right now, it seems more like FFXIII in that I am waiting for it to get better...

I do not want to completely condemn the game since I have not finished it yet, but so far in twelve hours I am not having much fun. Even if the story pace picks up, I doubt the combat will change. Consider this more my first impression of the game.

As an aside, since I see people accusing others of being DAO fanbois, I consider myself a fairly well rounded gamer. I play most major releases, especially shooter, RPG, action, and strategy games. I played through DAO twice.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #129
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
With my travel schedule this summer, I will be picking up MLB2K11 for the PC. I hope it will give me an acceptable game of baseball.

At $30, I'm thinking of picking this up and giving the "My Player" mode a whirl, if only to support PC sports gaming. I'm a sucker for these modes, and still looking for a great one. I enjoyed the World Cup Virtual Pro, but FIFA 11's version was way too stuck on hitting accomplishments (like 5 goals from outside the penalty box and whatnot) to advance your character, rather than just doing well while playing. Madden's (and NCAA's) has been okay, but gets stuck in horrible playcalling and roster management by the CPU. For $30, maybe I'll take a crack at 2k's version and see how it compares.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #130
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm just playing MLB 2k11 in the MLB today mode and it's been a lot of fun thus far.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have read quite a few positive reviews for "Dragon Age 2". Some of the changes/streamlines sound annoying, but I loved "Dragon Age: Origins" and I thought "Mass Effect 2" was the best game I played last year.

I will likely start playing it over the weekend.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #132
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have read quite a few positive reviews for "Dragon Age 2". Some of the changes/streamlines sound annoying, but I loved "Dragon Age: Origins" and I thought "Mass Effect 2" was the best game I played last year.

I will likely start playing it over the weekend.

I bought for PS3 (even though I played the first one on XBOX - I figured there may be much patching and I hate the XBOX live contraption to get online).

So far, I think it's more story engrossing but you are playing a human (fighter, mage or rogue). I've met a bunch of party members and each seem to be really story driven which is nice. I can't say after 6 hours if I've scratched the surface but it isn't boring (quests are easily displayed, you really can't get lost or miss anything). Some complaints on how much customization you can do with your party members but truthfully, it hasn't bothered me.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #133
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A few weeks ago I decided to pick up NBA 2K11. I am not a basketball fan at all, NBA or college, and I have never really played more than a game or two of any basketball video game since the days of "Double Dribble" and when Tom Chambers was dunking from the 3 point line in "Lakers vs. Celtics" on the Sega. (I referred to it as the "Ghost Slam" since he floated off the ground and through everyone on his way to the basket.)

Anyway, NBA 2K11 is a fantastic game. I've really enjoyed it. I am playing the "Association Mode", which is the career mode and it seems very solid. The draft is fun, trading is easy, player progression seems good. There are a few quirks here and there, but overall it's really a great game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well, I don't have debug units on hand, and I'd wager that somewhere on the order of 90% of all early product is typically debug code. The only company with which I've ever dealt that sent green copies is Atlus (which does that for everything; they don't screw around with retail copies), and only once or twice have I ever gotten a retail copy early, and that usually not much more than a couple of days early. Can count on one hand the number of times that's happened, with fingers left over. Halo 2's the only one I can actively remember.

I guess it depends on the site you review for. We typically got gold copies 1-2 weeks in advance that were the full review copies on almost all sports games.

Looks like Pasta wondered the same thing after no early copies were released. Appears my comments about the reasoning behind no early review copies may have been spot on.

MLB 2K11 Quick First Day Impressions | pastapadre.com
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #135
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who gives a shit about Pasta Padre?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

{raises hand}

On the whole, I find him to be among the more insightful & readable game reviewers online, as well as a pretty valuable resource to serious sports gamers overall.

The things he described would have absolutely been game killers for me & saved my son from wasting $60 on a game to boot (he's fairly frantic trying to find something worth buying, alas not much is hitting that threshold lately, not even for a 12 y/o with leftover Christmas money)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
{raises hand}

On the whole, I find him to be among the more insightful & readable game reviewers online, as well as a pretty valuable resource to serious sports gamers overall.

The things he described would have absolutely been game killers for me & saved my son from wasting $60 on a game to boot (he's fairly frantic trying to find something worth buying, alas not much is hitting that threshold lately, not even for a 12 y/o with leftover Christmas money)

I think he's an EA homer and a bit bias, but to each their own.

I think you will see another patch from 2k sports, which should fix some of these issues. So, maybe you can give it another look later on.

Thankfully, the only game I play season after season with is NCAA football, I'll just use MLB 2k11 for mlb today games.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #138
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess it depends on the site you review for. We typically got gold copies 1-2 weeks in advance that were the full review copies on almost all sports games.

Looks like Pasta wondered the same thing after no early copies were released. Appears my comments about the reasoning behind no early review copies may have been spot on.

Quote:

At first glance I thought he was heckling himself...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #139
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Not so much 'what site' as 'what resources.' Plenty of companies have asked me if I have debug units on hand. If I had, I'd have access to more software.

Lacking those resources, I'm more dependent on retail copies, which don't have much, if any, of a lead time. Atlus typically gives a month or so with their green copies, which is nice, but is also sporadic.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think he's an EA homer and a bit bias, but to each their own.

I guess I tend to automatically filter that sort of thing & look more at the stuff I want to know about rather than everything that gets said, if that makes sense.

As far as my praise for the guy, I'm not an avid follower, I tend to read him when there's reason to; i.e. I'm trying to find/find out something about a specific game or what not. What of him I've read though, I generally like his writing voice & that in turn makes him fairly likable to me. At the very least, he isn't known for annoying the crap out of me like some of the stuff I've seen online (like that goofy looking idiot on G4)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Call of Duty: Black Ops Top Selling Game In History - G4tv.com
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #142
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I kindof questioned whether that's true and when you first posted, I thought it was only total revenues but I decided to take a closer look

Call of Duty: Black Ops Sales (Xbox360) at gamrReview

So, vgchartz has them at 11.1M. But I guess they haven't updated yet.

In vgchartz's story about it:

NPD Total February 2011 USA Video Game Revenue - VGChartz

"On the software front, NPD says Call of Duty: Black Ops is now the top selling game of all time (non-bundled) in the United States at 13.7 million units. "

Big numbers, to be sure, but biggest ever? Time to go take a look

List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Nintendo Entertainment System video games that have sold or shipped at least two million copies....

SMB was bundled. I guess it's possible SMB3 sold 4M in Japan but that's a huge number there, particularly in the early 90s.

Quote:
Wii video games that have sold or shipped at least five million copies.Most of those were bundled, I realize, tho it's kindof cheating since the Mario Kart wheel was kindof crappy. For the record, NSMB Wii has a breakdown of 11M US/4M JAP/6M EMEA. Mario Kart Wii has even crazier splits with 11.6 US/3.1 JAP/11.8(!!) EMEA.

Game Boy and DS have both had some staggering numbers, tho, again, big US/Japan splits
Quote:

Game Boy and Game Boy Color video games that have sold or shipped at least five million copies.Nintendo DS video games that have sold or shipped at least five million copies.

And, of course, then there's bundled games (which, I know, they said "non-bundled"):
Quote:
Bundled games

Games that were originally bundled at launch and have sold or shipped at least ten million copies.

So, I guess it could be true that it's the biggest single non-bundled game in the US. Kindof disappointing considering SMB3's legendary status while I'm pretty sure people won't even remember which CoD was top for a while. But, oh well, another champion will come along soon enough...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #143
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, i can't believe I didn't know Super Mario All-Stars was coming out. Anyone pick it up?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #144
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So, i can't believe I didn't know Super Mario All-Stars was coming out. Anyone pick it up?

Actually came out during the Christmas season and got re-released.

That said, the SNES cart is superior. Includes more games, and better ports to begin with. *shurg*
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #145
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have Super Mario All-Stars. The nostalgia is fun, but I still like NSMB Wii.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Little tidbit I ran across from January, just as I'm about to take my son to pick up his copy of Homefront (based on the pretty good multi-player reviews). They've locked the multi-player to a single use unless you buy an additional $10 pass.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...and-users.aspx
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Random observation from watching my son start Homefront -- there's no tutorial. I guess we've reached the point that it's safe to assume that virtually everyone playing has played their share of shooters, but I thought that was interesting to see since I think every one of these I've played had some sort of tutorial mode at the beginning.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #148
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Little tidbit I ran across from January, just as I'm about to take my son to pick up his copy of Homefront (based on the pretty good multi-player reviews). They've locked the multi-player to a single use unless you buy an additional $10 pass.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...and-users.aspx

It's not going to stop is it? Now you have to pay full price for a game and then pay even more if you actually want all of the game...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Single use or single user? I'm assuming you mean single user.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Single use or single user? I'm assuming you mean single user.

Sorry, typo, yeah single useR.

Basically only one gamertag can play multi-player (actually a 2nd tag can play but you're capped at level 5 of 75, so I don't see the point) unless you pay them another $10 ... there's a better chance of pigs flying out of my butt, climbing aboard a fleet of waiting unicorns & delivering the money personally to THQ in gold coins than there is of me giving them another dime.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-15-2011 at 10:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote