Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #101
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I haven't believed it in the past either, and certainly Bettman can still pull a rabbit out of his hat, but I think this is about as close as it can get without actually happening.

Keep in mind there is the Atlanta situation as well. One of our local journalists has speculated that the NHL would really like to keep the coyotes in Phoenix mostly because they want to have Winnipeg as the Atlanta fallback. If Phoenix comes to Winnipeg and no one steps up in Atlanta, the NHL is a bit stuck trying to find a situation they can drop the Thrashers into immediately.

Ping MBBF of the Greater Kansas City Marketing Committee
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #102
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I haven't believed it in the past either, and certainly Bettman can still pull a rabbit out of his hat, but I think this is about as close as it can get without actually happening.

Keep in mind there is the Atlanta situation as well. One of our local journalists has speculated that the NHL would really like to keep the coyotes in Phoenix mostly because they want to have Winnipeg as the Atlanta fallback. If Phoenix comes to Winnipeg and no one steps up in Atlanta, the NHL is a bit stuck trying to find a situation they can drop the Thrashers into immediately.

hartford?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #103
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Ping MBBF of the Greater Kansas City Marketing Committee

Darn you. I had the same thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
hartford?

Would Baldwin make a play for them?

Any chance they might end up in Quebec?

Personally, I'd like to see them stay in Atlanta because I think even with minor successes in Tampa and Raleigh, a failure in Atlanta (generally considered the media capital of the southeast) would just renew the whole drumbeat from the snobs who want all the teams removed from the Sun Belt. This is in spite of the fact that it looks like Tampa has stabilized after a period of decline, Carolina is in Raleigh through at least 2024, and Florida, in spite of dismal failure on ice and in the stands, is pretty much going nowhere due their lease agreement, as well. Dallas has suddenly become vulnerable because of how badly Tom Hicks f'ed up things there, but the Stars, when they were successful, were among the biggest moneymakers in the league for a while, so I expect someone to step in at some point there.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #104
bhlloy
Coordinator

Got tickets for the Ducks game last night, 5 rows back from the glass and access to the VIP lounge (free beer so I'm just recovering now) - absolutely epic night. Don't think the Ducks have what it takes to get past the Preds even with the win but damn that was fun.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #105
Galaxy
Coordinator

Phoenix knows this is the NHL playoffs right?

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #106
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post

Personally, I'd like to see them stay in Atlanta because I think even with minor successes in Tampa and Raleigh, a failure in Atlanta (generally considered the media capital of the southeast) would just renew the whole drumbeat from the snobs who want all the teams removed from the Sun Belt. This is in spite of the fact that it looks like Tampa has stabilized after a period of decline, Carolina is in Raleigh through at least 2024, and Florida, in spite of dismal failure on ice and in the stands, is pretty much going nowhere due their lease agreement, as well. Dallas has suddenly become vulnerable because of how badly Tom Hicks f'ed up things there, but the Stars, when they were successful, were among the biggest moneymakers in the league for a while, so I expect someone to step in at some point there.

What's the word with Columbus? Any chance they could be moved?

I wouldn't mind seeing a team in the Pacific Northwest. Portland, with the arena advantage over Seattle, makes sense.

As for Dallas, I don't see them moving at all. They just need to get themselves back into a stable owner (Mark Cuban?) and the playoffs.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #107
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Phoenix knows this is the NHL playoffs right?

Ugly. Should be 6 or 7 to nothing by now at least
Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #108
Galaxy
Coordinator

The Mule! Talk about gritty.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #109
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I don't understand the hatred that Bettman and his cronies have for the Wings franchise. I have seen so many non-calls in this game against Phoenix, yet the Wings are getting penalties for sneezing in the wrong direction. Same shit, different year: Detroit has to beat the opposing team and the referees.

Oh, and Doan & Jovanovski are bitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #110
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I don't understand the hatred that Bettman and his cronies have for the Wings franchise. I have seen so many non-calls in this game against Phoenix, yet the Wings are getting penalties for sneezing in the wrong direction. Same shit, different year: Detroit has to beat the opposing team and the referees.

dude are you serious?

not watching the game but if Detroit is getting jobbed then consider it karma for the past 2 decades of BJs the red wings have gotten from the league...
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #111
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
dude are you serious?

I can count numerous absurd penalties against the Wings in the past several years that were never called a decade or two ago. NHL officiating is fucking ridiculously bad, and if they are going to call something against one team then call it against the other as well. The inconsistency is mind-boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
not watching the game but if Detroit is getting jobbed then consider it karma for the past 2 decades of BJs the red wings have gotten from the league...

I am not really sure what you are referring to here. The Wings are one of the best run organizations in all of pro sports, and have been for the past twenty years. It has nothing to do with the league or so-called "BJs".....

Quote:
Old 04-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #112
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can count numerous absurd penalties against the Wings in the past several years that were never called a decade or two ago. NHL officiating is fucking ridiculously bad, and if they are going to call something against one team then call it against the other as well. The inconsistency is mind-boggling.
This is not limited to the Wings. Its not a team to team, or even game to game issue. Its nearly shift to shift that things change.

Quote:
I am not really sure what you are referring to here. The Wings are one of the best run organizations in all of pro sports, and have been for the past twenty years. It has nothing to do with the league or so-called "BJs".....

The Wings perfected the (Edzo reference ) subtle interference play by the second D back. All teams use it now. Detroit just does it better than anyone else. If you really wanted everything called, that should get whistled every time.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #113
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

sabres game on pace for 12-11 final with about 700 penalty minutes total
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #114
molson
General Manager

Who misses a playoff game because of dehydration? Did the Bruins staff forget to supply water?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #115
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Who misses a playoff game because of dehydration? Did the Bruins staff forget to supply water?

I think they are just covering for him, he's probably getting that much needed heart transplant.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #116
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think they are just covering for him, he's probably getting that much needed heart transplant.

I guess it does make sense to take care of him first but I hope the rest of the team isn't too far down the list.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #117
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Oh sweet lord. It's considered kosher to wait to lose a game before you start sniveling about officiating. I know you guys haven't lost a game in 20 years unless it's been because of a goalie (yours or theirs) or officiating, but it's beyond fucking old. If you're going to put your tinfoil hat on, at least stay in your basement and leave the rest of us alone.

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #118
samifan24
Pro Starter

Tonight's Bruins game went like this:

Chara a late scratch due to dehydration for a playoff game against your arch rivals. To be fair, he looked terrible on the ice in warmups but still, it's the playoffs.

Montreal scores twice in the first 2:20. The Bruins spend the rest of the 1st period peppering Carey Price with saves but cannot score. The Bruins then turn the puck over about 5,392 times in the neutral zone and try to force passes through two or three Montreal defenders again and again. The Bruins finally score a goal, first in the series, but Montreal regains its two goal lead on another bad neutral zone turnover and a bad rebound that Thomas failed to control. This team is done. They look listless and unmotivated and lack the on-ice leadership to make a difference. I fully expect them to be swept in this series.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #119
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Not sure how I feel about the Bobby Ryan suspension. It looks bad, but the the puck is there. Colin called it reckless.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #120
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Not sure how I feel about the Bobby Ryan suspension. It looks bad, but the the puck is there. Colin called it reckless.

Should have been a game though I am fine with two. The issue I had with it is there is no reason for anyone to ever make that type of motion with their foot on the ice, ever. What was he going to do if he didn't hit his foot, just step on the puck?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #121
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Oh sweet lord. It's considered kosher to wait to lose a game before you start sniveling about officiating. I know you guys haven't lost a game in 20 years unless it's been because of a goalie (yours or theirs) or officiating, but it's beyond fucking old. If you're going to put your tinfoil hat on, at least stay in your basement and leave the rest of us alone.

There are so many things wrong with your ridiculous post, where should I start?

1) I am married with four kids and don't even have a basement.
2) I wasn't sniveling about the officiating, just calling it how I see it. I will be happy to point out bad calls for every other team as well if needed, but as a Wings fan, I tend to concentrate on my team, not yours.
3) If my post somehow offended you, and you feeel the need to insult me and tell me to "stay in my basement", please feel free to stop reading my posts. Fair enough?

k thanks

Quote:
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #122
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #123
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Should have been a game though I am fine with two. The issue I had with it is there is no reason for anyone to ever make that type of motion with their foot on the ice, ever. What was he going to do if he didn't hit his foot, just step on the puck?

I think his explanation was that he was trying to kick his foot away and just got it all wrong. I honestly don't think Bobby Ryan is that kind of player to try to hurt somebody like that intentionally, but it didn't look good

As a Ducks fan I have no problem with 2 games. There are some things in a game of hockey that are so dangerous that a clear message has to be sent, and stamping on a prone player with a razor sharp skate is definitely one of them.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #124
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think his explanation was that he was trying to kick his foot away and just got it all wrong. I honestly don't think Bobby Ryan is that kind of player to try to hurt somebody like that intentionally, but it didn't look good

As a Ducks fan I have no problem with 2 games. There are some things in a game of hockey that are so dangerous that a clear message has to be sent, and stamping on a prone player with a razor sharp skate is definitely one of them.

Yeah I agree with that. I don't believe there was intent, but he was incredibly reckless.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 04-16-2011 at 11:59 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #125
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Rangers scored with 0.1 seconds left in the 2nd period
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #126
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

No goal...
Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #127
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ping Roma: This is a team getting screwed by the refs. If this was the NBA we'd have five posts by now saying the fix is in and the league wanted to see a seven game series between two big east coast markets.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #128
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I think the Rangers scored with 0.1 seconds left in the 2nd period

Quote:
No goal...

I'm with you...I think that's a good goal. Unless war room has above the goal view with clock, not sure how they determine time.

Official called it a goal, though I admit I don't know rules there as far as with the clock. He may be signaling its across the line, but has no idea on the clock.

Also, a Pens fan and Flyers fan agreeing on a goal for the Rangers...something wrong here.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #129
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

From Toronto: The official burn-in clock on the overhead camera had time expired before the puck crossed the line.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #130
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Caps offense looks really flat today. The passing in particular looks lackadaisical. With the exception of a lot of stupid penalties the defense has been pretty good.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #131
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
From Toronto: The official burn-in clock on the overhead camera had time expired before the puck crossed the line.
They showed that view on TSN. Was definitely 0:00 before puck could be seen in net.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #132
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Nice chance for Collie to make a statement on the Torres on Seabrook hit.

Under normal circumstances, the call on the ice may be enough. But blindside head contact, and it's your first game back from a prior suspension?

He got 4 last time, I'll say 6, which would take him until sometime in the middle of the 2nd round.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #133
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize Chris Rooney broke his fibula on that fall in the Caps/Rangers game. That's a tough guy to skate off after that.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #134
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Steve Downie should be missing a game or so. Hit on Ben Lovejoy really similar to the flying hit on Dean McAmmond that got him 20 games a few years back.

But since Lovejoy got up from it, might be one game.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #135
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Kunitz should join Downie on the suspended list with that elbow on Gagne.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #136
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

They'll both get a spin of the wheel.

But since the victims skated away, all suspensions divided by 4.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #137
samifan24
Pro Starter

Nice to see the Bruins finally show up for one tonight
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #138
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ping Roma: This is a team getting screwed by the refs. If this was the NBA we'd have five posts by now saying the fix is in and the league wanted to see a seven game series between two big east coast markets.

Are you referring to the Wings or the Rangers?

Quote:
Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #139
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Bruce Boudreau is a complete idiot. I realize he is trying to bait the Rangers and take the heat off his players, but c'mon....talking shit about the other team's arena during a playoff series? I lol'd at him and his seven chins when I read this...

Quote:
"Well, the one thing, its reputation is far better than the actual building," Boudreau said on 105.9 The Edge's "Kirk and Mike Show," according to The Washington Post. "I mean, it's nothing. The locker rooms are horrible. The benches are horrible. There's no room for anything. But the reputation of being in Madison Square Garden is what makes it famous. Also, our building's a lot louder, too. So I mean, they can say what they want, but it's not that loud in there."

NHL playoffs: Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau rips MSG after New York Rangers victory - ESPN New York

Quote:
Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #140
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Kunitz should join Downie on the suspended list with that elbow on Gagne.

If he doesn't get suspended for that... well let's just say the league is doing everything they can to get Crosby back in these playoffs. Kunitz is one of my favorite non-Ducks but that was inexcusable - he's been taking lessons from Matt Cooke.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #141
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bruce Boudreau is a complete idiot. I realize he is trying to bait the Rangers and take the heat off his players, but c'mon....talking shit about the other team's arena during a playoff series? I lol'd at him and his seven chins when I read this...

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #142
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Both Kunitz and Downie with hearings today.

Funniest thing I've seen in awhile on NHLN-- Kelly Chase on the Downie hit.

(Paraphrasing here): "I love what Downie did...Lovejoy is 6'3", Downie around 5'9". So, to play with these guys, you've got to get up to their level"

WHAT?

The head contact seems incidental, but you just can not leave your feet.

Kunitz...that is the Cooke on McDonagh hit all over again.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #143
Logan
Head Coach

I think he was referring to the Rangers getting the calls in that game. I don't think there was a call I could point to as being terrible, but we certainly got plenty of PPs.

Boudreau's comment would be funny if it wasn't so stupid. Really, a 15 year old acoustically-tuned arena is more modern and louder than a 40+ year old building that is currently being gutted during a massive renovation? Pretty interesting.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #144
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

If Bruce Boudreau is an idiot for talking shit about ther other team's arena during a playoff series, I guess you would have to add Scotty Bowman to your idiot list, because he did the exact same thing. I believe it was Colorado's arena at the time when he was coaching Detroit. He complained about the locker rooms and the lack of room on the bench. In fact, the Wings even built a small bench extension that they brought with them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know Bob Cole has lost a step, or two or three over the years, but I still love hearing him call games. Listening to/watching the third period last night between Montreal and Boston was fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #146
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If Bruce Boudreau is an idiot for talking shit about ther other team's arena during a playoff series, I guess you would have to add Scotty Bowman to your idiot list, because he did the exact same thing. I believe it was Colorado's arena at the time when he was coaching Detroit. He complained about the locker rooms and the lack of room on the bench. In fact, the Wings even built a small bench extension that they brought with them.

When Boudreau has 12 Stanley Cup rings I might take him more seriously.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While not playoff related, the NHL and NBC are making a big announcement today.

It looks like the NHL will be staying on NBC/Versus (soon to be called "NBC Sports Channel") for the next decade or so.

NHL set to announce new TV deal - The Globe and Mail

To be honest, I am perfectly fine with this.

I have no real problem with the NBC/Versus coverage of the NHL. It’s not perfect and they could still refine some things, but with ESPN carrying baseball, basketball, football and college football, I think the NHL would get squeezed out time and time again on that network.

Also, what NHL luminaries are over at ESPN that would be such a huge improvement over what Versus/NBC offer? Barry Melrose and Matthew Barnaby? Riiiight.

I just think ESPN’s docket is too crowded. Even if ESPN did have the NHL, it would still be treated as the red headed step child far too often. It would definitely get more exposure on the networks than it does not (that bar is low), but it would still be paltry.

Also, ESPN has really gone down the tubes ever since around 2004 or so. Unless there is college footbal or NFL football on, I never watch any of their networks. Sportscenter has become and over produced bore of a show. If I want NFL news/highlights, I will turn on the NFL Network. If I want NHL highlights/news, I turn to the NHL network.

As for “growing” the sport via ESPN. Let’s face it. Hockey is a niche sport. It’s a wonderful, fantastic niche sport, but I am not sure how much more it can grow. Look at what’s happening in Phoenix and Atlanta. Those were both efforts to “grow” the sport in the US. So long as the NHL can continue to function as it is and there are enough revenues, I am quite content to have the sport be the wonderful, little niche sport that it is. Move Phoenix back to Winnipeg. Put Atlanta in Hamilton and lets move on.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

I'm with you on ESPN being too crowded for hockey. Not to combine threads, but it's why Big East football fans are so adamant about the TV deal being shopped to other networks, at the very least to obtain better terms even if they end up sticking with ESPN. Otherwise, the majority of BE football will go to the same place that the majority of hockey would...ESPN3.com.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
When Boudreau has 12 Stanley Cup rings I might take him more seriously.

He did have a dozen donuts during the interview, doesn't that count for something?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #150
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While not playoff related, the NHL and NBC are making a big announcement today.

It looks like the NHL will be staying on NBC/Versus (soon to be called "NBC Sports Channel") for the next decade or so.

NHL set to announce new TV deal - The Globe and Mail

To be honest, I am perfectly fine with this.

I have no real problem with the NBC/Versus coverage of the NHL. It’s not perfect and they could still refine some things, but with ESPN carrying baseball, basketball, football and college football, I think the NHL would get squeezed out time and time again on that network.

Also, what NHL luminaries are over at ESPN that would be such a huge improvement over what Versus/NBC offer? Barry Melrose and Matthew Barnaby? Riiiight.

I just think ESPN’s docket is too crowded. Even if ESPN did have the NHL, it would still be treated as the red headed step child far too often. It would definitely get more exposure on the networks than it does not (that bar is low), but it would still be paltry.

Also, ESPN has really gone down the tubes ever since around 2004 or so. Unless there is college footbal or NFL football on, I never watch any of their networks. Sportscenter has become and over produced bore of a show. If I want NFL news/highlights, I will turn on the NFL Network. If I want NHL highlights/news, I turn to the NHL network.

As for “growing” the sport via ESPN. Let’s face it. Hockey is a niche sport. It’s a wonderful, fantastic niche sport, but I am not sure how much more it can grow. Look at what’s happening in Phoenix and Atlanta. Those were both efforts to “grow” the sport in the US. So long as the NHL can continue to function as it is and there are enough revenues, I am quite content to have the sport be the wonderful, little niche sport that it is. Move Phoenix back to Winnipeg. Put Atlanta in Hamilton and lets move on.

Agree with all of this except the part about moving the Coyotes back to Winnipeg. I am moving to Phoenix this summer (wife got a job and is from there), and I want an NHL team within viewing distance, plus I can then see some Wings games when they come into town. Sorry Winnipeg....

Quote: