Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #101
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Great I was going to wait to pick this up but now I may need to buy it Monday when it is in full release. Uggh like I have time for this...
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I have Babe Ruth on my team and just traded for a 16 year old Ty Cobb. I'll tell the clubhouse guy not to put their lockers near each other. And I guess the same goes for Prince and Cecil Fielder.

Babe Ruth either never got put into the draft or never made an appearance at any level in my 110 year sim. He's nowhere to be found.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #103
korme
Go Reds

Stop teasing me MizzouRah!

Where is the pre-order link? I'm doing this right now.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #104
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Markus stated in an earlier thread if you PM him with your order ID and such, he would send the links.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #105
korme
Go Reds

I mean, where do I go to place my order? I'm lazy.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #106
DanGarion
Coordinator

Anyone know how many seasons it takes to deplete the real player database? I started in 1901 and I'm in 1987 and it doesn't appear that there are any real players left...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #107
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's the 2018 NLCS, Go Cardinals!!!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #108
korme
Go Reds

Here we go Rockies, here we go!!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #109
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I mean, where do I go to place my order? I'm lazy.

I figured it out. Now, the wait begins!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #110
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Anyone know how many seasons it takes to deplete the real player database? I started in 1901 and I'm in 1987 and it doesn't appear that there are any real players left...

One suspects that sounds about right if you're using 30 teams all the way instead of starting with fewer and expanding through the years.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #111
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I figured it out. Now, the wait begins!

And we're live here at the Kormelink residence with OOTP13! Time to start my England league back up! Thanks for the quick response Markus!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #112
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here we go Rockies, here we go!!

Cards win 11-4!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #113
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
And we're live here at the Kormelink residence with OOTP13! Time to start my England league back up! Thanks for the quick response Markus!

Region based? United Kingdom instead. Woot woot.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #114
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What about a EuroLeague?

And.. ordered. Won't press markus for a link, since it's 10PM GMT, and tomorrow is Easter Sunday, will try to be patient and wait
Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #115
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
What about a EuroLeague?

And.. ordered. Won't press markus for a link, since it's 10PM GMT, and tomorrow is Easter Sunday, will try to be patient and wait

Can't hurt to try...worst thing would be him just ingorning your request, the best thing could be you playing the game shortly
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #116
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I still don't like how some players come out of the historical drafts with current ratings far higher than their potential ratings.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #117
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Halladay didn't have an injury of any kind within a year of moving from starter to reliever. Feller had a couple of minor injuries in March/April of 2002 (missed 1 day, then out for a week). I can't imagine either of those would lead to him spending an entire year in the bullpen on a 79-83 team that could have used him in the rotation. But it's hard to say what his stamina was that year since we don't see it looking back.

I had "base roles/positions on" set to real life stats.

Yeah this is the hard part for me in playing with real players. It is hard to make sense of some of the computer moves. Atleast when playing a fictional universe you have nothing to base these odd moves off of so you can make it make sense in your head.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #118
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I still don't like how some players come out of the historical drafts with current ratings far higher than their potential ratings.

What is your scouting accuracy set at?

I sometimes play with ratings turned off which is kind of fun and a new challenge.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-07-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #119
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yeah this is the hard part for me in playing with real players. It is hard to make sense of some of the computer moves. Atleast when playing a fictional universe you have nothing to base these odd moves off of so you can make it make sense in your head.

Putting aside the names, these guys were all-star caliber starting pitchers. One won 18 games the years before and after closing, and the other won 21 games the year after. I don't care if you call them Halladay and Feller or Jbergey and Ksyrup, they were #1/2 rotation guys, not closers. At least, not without factoring in some information we might not see looking back at history.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #120
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Putting aside the names, these guys were all-star caliber starting pitchers. One won 18 games the years before and after closing, and the other won 21 games the year after. I don't care if you call them Halladay and Feller or Jbergey and Ksyrup, they were #1/2 rotation guys, not closers. At least, not without factoring in some information we might not see looking back at history.

I dont know if it would work or not or if you wanted to play it out this way but I wonder if you turned the ratings completely off and put heavy weight on the previous years stats if these things would still happen?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-07-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #121
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
One suspects that sounds about right if you're using 30 teams all the way instead of starting with fewer and expanding through the years.

Started with the appropriate amount of teams in 1901, not 30.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #122
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What is your scouting accuracy set at?

I sometimes play with ratings turned off which is kind of fun and a new challenge.

I play with both scouts and coaching off, it makes things go faster.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #123
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
What about a EuroLeague?

Maybe a kind soul can send you the link...
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #124
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, this may be the best version since v6. I'm really impressed with how user-friendly it is.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #125
Ksyrup

Quote:
I dont know if it would work or not or if you wanted to play it out this way but I wonder if you turned the ratings completely off and put heavy weight on the previous years stats if these things would still happen?

I tried that several versions ago and it didn't work too well. I remember finding a bunch of good pitchers who got sent to the minors despite their stats suggesting they should stay in the rotation at least until they started to get killed. But it seemed like the AI "knew" in advance that they no longer had the ratings to stay in the rotation, even though all they were supposed to see was the stats. Not sure if that's changed at all.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #126
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

In fact, just started my inaugural draft and, at the 11'th pick, I had to make this choice:

Barry Bonds (24 y/o)
Mickey Mantle (23 y/o)
Lou Gehrig (28 y/o)
Rogers Hornsby (24 y/o)

A big struggle to decide.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 04-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #127
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Started with the appropriate amount of teams in 1901, not 30.

I think it's the # of rounds in the draft that depleted the league of real players already.

Any suggestion on what is the right number of rounds for the draft, because I had it set at the default of 20 and it looks like the game ran out of real players in the 50s...
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #128
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Are you using neutralized stats? I haven't seen this yet and this is what I am uusing, just curious.

Uh yeah, neutralized stats doesn't work. I just set up a second sim and changed it to neutralized stats, and Jose Canseco's already got 600 HRs before 1910. Back to the drawing board...
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #129
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
In fact, just started my inaugural draft and, at the 11'th pick, I had to make this choice:

Barry Bonds (24 y/o)
Mickey Mantle (23 y/o)
Lou Gehrig (28 y/o)
Rogers Hornsby (24 y/o)

A big struggle to decide.

11th pick? What an incredibly stacked draft. With neutralized stats Id go Hornsby I think.

Nevermind, just seen the above post about neutralized stats. Hard to pass on the steroids in that case.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #130
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

My scout wants me to go Hornsby, I'm a long-time Pirates fan so I do still love Bonds, and there is a sentimental side of me that has romanticized Mickey Mantle as a ballplayer. I'm really taking my time here.

These were the first 10 picks:
CLE- Toad Ramsey, SP, 22
PHI- Randy Johnson, SP, 40
LAD- Deacon Phillippe, SP, 30
FLA- John McGraw, 3B, 25
BOS- Roger Connor, 1B, 32
HOU- Chris Carpenter, SP, 30
ARI- Bob Veale, SP, 28
NYM- Bill Stemmeyer, SP, 21
COL- Jesse Tannehill, SP, 25
WAS- Billy Rhines, SP, 21

Only 40 y/o Randy Johnson surprised me due to age. Otherwise, from a ratings standpoint all of those picks make sense (particularly because OOTP doesn't have a sense of history/individual players).

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 04-07-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #131
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My scout wants me to go Hornsby, I'm a long-time Pirates fan so I do still love Bonds, and there is a sentimental side of me that has romanticized Mickey Mantle as a ballplayer. I'm really taking my time here.

These were the first 10 picks:
CLE- Toad Ramsey, SP, 22
PHI- Randy Johnson, SP, 40
LAD- Deacon Phillippe, SP, 30
FLA- John McGraw, 3B, 25
BOS- Roger Connor, 1B, 32
HOU- Chris Carpenter, SP, 30
ARI- Bob Veale, SP, 28
NYM- Bill Stemmeyer, SP, 21
COL- Jesse Tannehill, SP, 25
WAS- Billy Rhines, SP, 21

Haha, well this might be a problem. The computer is passing on them 4 for a 40 year old Randy Johnson and players clearly not even close to the ability of the 4 you mention.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #132
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Sort of, ratings-wise all of the above drafted players are the equivalent, some in potential (like some of the younger guys) and others in current ratings (Carpenter, Johnson, Connor). So if you removed their names, other than the Johnson pick, they all actually made sense.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #133
Ksyrup

If you aren't playing neutralized stats, based on the first sim I did, the power hitters aren't going to be worth as much in the deadball era. I posted about Sammy Sosa leading the league with 12 HRs. I'd probably go Hornsby in that scenario, assuming you are starting in the deadball era.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #134
Ksyrup

Another thing - again, if you are starting in 1901, I'd say the starting pitchers matter a heck of a lot and are far more valuable if they're throwing 300+ innings a year.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #135
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Ksyrup- I actually started in 2012 so I'm thinking that the power hitters could really dominate but I'm not sure.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #136
Ksyrup

I started a new sim, and just looking at the leaderboards during the 1900s, the leading pitcher WAR is 2 or 2.5 times the leading batter WAR during that time period.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #137
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Pitching-wise, they cleared out a lot of the top, but there is still, at 4 1/2 stars:

28 y/o Nick Altrock
28 y/o Mordecai Brown
26 y/o Daisy Davis
30 y/o Lefty Gomes
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #138
Ksyrup

Quote:
Hey Ksyrup- I actually started in 2012 so I'm thinking that the power hitters could really dominate but I'm not sure.

Well, then assuming you have the 2012 settings in use, they should hit pretty well. My argument made sense if you start in 1901, but not so much in 2012. Not sure what the AI is thinking.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #139
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, when I do another, I'm starting in 1901 (honestly, completely forgot, but now I really like this draft group so I'm sticking with it).
Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #140
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

So there is a vote for Hornsby (really two votes, including my scout). Anyone else with any thoughts?

At this point, lots of teams would've passed me on the way to the table but I'm enjoying making this tough, tough decision.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #141
Ksyrup

I've got Lou Gehrig, Albert Pujols, and Manny Ramirez in my re-start, and in 1908 they combined for 22 HRs.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #142
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, three great ones there but sheesh, the deadball era certainly lived up to its name!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #143
Ksyrup

Meanwhile,Ricky Nolasco won 27 games with a 1.35 ERA.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #144
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So there is a vote for Hornsby (really two votes, including my scout). Anyone else with any thoughts?

At this point, lots of teams would've passed me on the way to the table but I'm enjoying making this tough, tough decision.

If you're playing with recalc on I'd take Bonds since he'll have a long career and is dominant even as he approaches 40. If not I'd consider taking Mantle or Hornsby since they play more difficult defensive positions.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #145
Ksyrup

Definitely getting a ton of crossover in this sim - top 4 ERA in the AL in 1910: JR Richard, Chad Billingsley, Frank Tanana, and Ricky Nolasco.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #146
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm set-up to recalculate, so I'll chalk that up as a vote for Bonds.

Hornsby 2
Bonds 1
Mantle
Gehrig
Old 04-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #147
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

You guys made me go from wait and see to ordering. Now to wait for the release.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #148
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Uh yeah, neutralized stats doesn't work. I just set up a second sim and changed it to neutralized stats, and Jose Canseco's already got 600 HRs before 1910. Back to the drawing board...

I am baffled, one more thing that I am doing. I turned development off as well, so they will progress/perform on ratings, not actual stats.

Most I have in Deadball era in a season in 3 test sims is 24 HR prior to 1920.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #149
Ksyrup

I have progress/perform on stats, I think. Without neutralize stats on, I'm getting era-appropriate stats. My top HR guys are leading the league, but in the deadball era rarely getting over 12-14. I kinda like that. In this sim, I've seen a ton of guys from other eras who will be "wasted" in the deadball era, which means some other guys are going to get a chance to shine when we get past the deadball era.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-07-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #150
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I haven't really looked into this at this point, but is it possible for these random rookie debuts to come out of high school/college feeder leagues or are they strictly first appearing in the game during the draft?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote