Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #101
chesapeake
College Starter

Based on the assumption that Angus King will caucus with and take his committee assignments from the Democrats, the ratio in the Senate is now 55/45. That relieves the pressure on John Kerry to take the SoS job without risking the balance in the Senate in any appreciable way.

Although Scott Brown would certainly have some advantages having just run statewide, the Dems still have a bench there. A couple of the House members are sitting on literally millions of dollars in campaign funds that they have raised over time to be ready to run for the Senate when a seat opened up. And Gov. Patrick could also appoint himself to the job, making himself the incumbent in a special election. That doesn't come without its own risks, of course.

Regarding Haley Barbour: he's not going to run in 2016 for the same reasons that he waved the white sheet... er... flag on his exploratory campaign for 2012. His accumulated body of work on that subject hasn't gone away.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #102
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm not worried about replacing Kerry. I don't see the Dems totally shitting the bed again like they did with Coakley.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm not worried about replacing Kerry. I don't see the Dems totally shitting the bed again like they did with Coakley.

Man I sure hope not. I'd love to see say a Capuano step up from his house seat - he's in a good (D) district and thus that special election would be not worrisome.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Hopefully Kerry isn't stupid enough to take SoS. If he does then we end up having another special election and I fear that Brown weasels his way back in.

Yeah, but Kerry's term is up in 2014. So you'd have a temporary replacement for Kerry until a special election could be held. And then that winner would have to re-run in approximately a year. The other alternative would be to quickly amend the Mass Constitution yet again and allow the governor to appoint a senator to serve until the next statewide election is held(2014)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #105
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't hate all Republicans. I would have voted for Bill Weld if I was old enough. I just think Brown's campaign was schmucky (repeated personal attacks, his staffers disrupting her rallies with "war whoops" and tomahawk chops and stuff). He also rubs me the wrong way with his trumpeting of his bipartisanship (which is pretty BS when you look at the votes where he was actually allowed to be bipartisan they were pretty much all minor votes, not the important ones). And I worry that in another special election (which tend to have crappy turnouts) another weak candidate will get run against him and he'll slip back into office. Weasel wasn't the right word, I concede.
Fair enough, and I'll admit that I didn't/don't pay much attention to campaign ads or tactics. He did legitimately stand up to the party on issues of reproductive rights, which is the biggest issue I have with the national republicans.
Quote:
Although Scott Brown would certainly have some advantages having just run statewide, the Dems still have a bench there. A couple of the House members are sitting on literally millions of dollars in campaign funds that they have raised over time to be ready to run for the Senate when a seat opened up.
You'd think so, but the only one of them that seized the opportunity when Kennedy's seat opened up was Capuano and he lost the primary pretty badly. In the rest of the Congressional delegation, I really like Lynch but not sure he makes it through a Dem primary either, Markey is too old, Keating and Tsongas are too new, Tierney barely hung on to his Congressional seat, and Neal and McGovern come from the wrong part of the state. Joe Kennedy III will probably have it for 30+ years down the line, but I think he needs at least one term in the House first (If Kerry doesn't run for re-election in 2014 he's the early leader). Past them, Meehan actually seems to be enjoying himself up in Lowell, Menino would never even consider it, and I have a hard time seeing people voting for Patrick if he abdicated his gubernatorial responsibilities to run a campaign.
Quote:
Ha! Knowing them (and her ego) I wouldn't put it past her to run again.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #106
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

yeah, now that they have 53 + 2, they have a little room.
Do you think the move is really gonna happen though?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #107
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Interesting thoughts on the Cheetos...I mean the pot legalization.

2 states legalize pot, but don't 'break out the Cheetos' yet - CNN.com

I'm sure they are going to loosen the grip federally with so many states legalizing it for medical purposes. And all that drug bust crap will save tons of money not to mention the prison sentences of people whose only crime is dope.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #108
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
the only one of them that seized the opportunity when Kennedy's seat opened up was Capuano and he lost the primary pretty badly.

The timing was bad for those that had the money. They were in great spots in the majority in the House -- a majority that it appeared Dems would hold for a while. It made no sense to give up that seniority to start out on the bottom rung in the Senate. That is no longer a hinderance anymore.

Markey is 66, btw, and in good health. I don't think that would be too old to run. On the Thurmond/Byrd scale, that means he would have 4 to 5 full terms in him at the minimum.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #109
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Interesting thoughts on the Cheetos...I mean the pot legalization.

2 states legalize pot, but don't 'break out the Cheetos' yet - CNN.com

I'm sure they are going to loosen the grip federally with so many states legalizing it for medical purposes. And all that drug bust crap will save tons of money not to mention the prison sentences of people whose only crime is dope.

The way things are going these days, the pot will be legal in many places soon enough, but the nanny state wants to ban the Cheetos.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #110
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interesting bit of news, as the votes continue to be certified, Mitt Romney is now in the 47% zone with his votes. Yes, it's schadenfreude, but considering that was quite possibly the biggest gaffe of the election season, I think it was pretty fitting that a comment about the 47% helped its speaker end up with.. 47%
Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #111
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Markey is 66, btw, and in good health. I don't think that would be too old to run. On the Thurmond/Byrd scale, that means he would have 4 to 5 full terms in him at the minimum.
Haha... it's not too old to get re-elected but I think it might hamper him as a first-time candidate if he's going up against a younger candidate. He's also hasn't had to run a contested campaign since the Dem primary back in the 70's. Would love to see Kerry leave just to see it play out from a PoliSci perspective.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #112
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The way things are going these days, the pot will be legal in many places soon enough, but the nanny state wants to ban the Cheetos.

ding dongs too (both kinds)