Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #1451
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
You didn't think There Will Be Blood delivered at the end? What the hell did you want them to do, a song and dance number? That makes no sense at all.

DRAINAGE!

I've got a spoiler tag a page or so back about it, but I wasn't thrilled with the end either. Freakin' loved it right up to then though.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #1452
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
J.K. Simmons, as always, rocked.

8/10

...dude will always be Vern Schillinger to me....every time I see him in a movie, I start giggling, picturing Ryan O'Reilly's dad talking to him, saying "Hey, Skillinger!".
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #1453
Flasch186
Coordinator

Amazing Grace 8/10

I thought the movie was great and I have always loved Albert Finney. Very well done movie regarding abolition in England and I recommend it.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #1454
MikeVic
Head Coach

Jumper 5/10
Uhh. The movie was just there. Not entertaining at all. Nothing really seems to happen in the movie either. Felt like a made-for-TV movie with an actress I find attractive (Bilson). Action scenes were far and few between, with the stupid shaky camera. They show potential with awesome fight sequences, but just never go there.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 AM   #1455
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Jumper 5/10
Uhh. The movie was just there. Not entertaining at all. Nothing really seems to happen in the movie either. Felt like a made-for-TV movie with an actress I find attractive (Bilson). Action scenes were far and few between, with the stupid shaky camera. They show potential with awesome fight sequences, but just never go there.

This movie has generally been ripped to shreds and I thought it was going to be decent enough to watch.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #1456
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Re: There Will Be Blood

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #1457
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lady H_B went to Madrid for five days last week. Lucky for us, well me really, our planes back and forth across the Atlantic were equiped with a video-on-demand service. They had a very solid selection of a number of recent films I'd never seen (plus a few classics I had).

While I think watching a movie on an tiny screen embedded in the back of a chair with poor sound quality is an absolutely horrible way to see a film, thus making it hard to really judge a film's merits, I will nonetheless endeavor to do so here...

Gone Baby Gone - This is the only film I watched (along with an episode of both "30 Rock" and "The Office") on the flight over. A very solid movie. A good crime thriller/mystery. Casey Affleck was excellent in the lead role and Amy Ryan's Academy Award Nomination was justly deserved as the pretty horrible mother. It's hard not to compare this to the other Denis Lehane adaptation, Mystic River. While not quite as weighty as Mystic River, I thought Gone Baby Gone was quite solid. I was impressed with Ben Affleck's skill as a film maker. 8/10

Michael Clayton - One of three films I watched over the course of the 9 hour trip back. Yeah, this trip was all about getting up to speed on films with multiple Oscar nods. Since I'm a lawyer who works at a big law firm (and worked at much bigger New York law firm for 6 years), I always find movies centered around big, New York law firms and high profile litigations to be somewhat interesting. I found Michael Clayton to be a little over-the-top. Not quite as bad as certain scenes in, say, Changing Lanes, but still a bit out there. George Clooney was great at being George Clooney. Really, there's no one better. Tilda Swinton, who I always like, was fantastic. She and Tom Wilkinson (who was awesome) deserve their Oscar nods. Clooney? Not so much. I'm also not quite sure on the Best Picture nod. It was good movie, no doubt, but I found certain aspects of it to be sort of under-developed, in particular, Clooney's character, which is ood. For some reason, however, I just couldn't quite get a handle on him. There was a lot of interesting stuff going on with him, but the pieces didn't quite seem to fit together. 7/10

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford - Some more Oscar nods in this one. I think the Academy got it right. Case Affleck was great in this role. He really did a solid job of playing an unlikeable character with whom you could sympathize. The cinematography was also outstanding. Even on that crappy little screen you could tell just how beautiful and well shot the film was. Those were the two strengths of the film. I also really enjoyed Sam Rockwell's character, Charley Ford. For whatever reason, I found his character to have some surprising depth to him. Brad Pitt does an excellent job as Jesse James. It's an intense portrayl of a man on the edge. Despite knowing exactly what's going to happen, the scenes between Jesse (Pitt) and Robert (Affleck) are riveting. The film is a bit ponderous. It's long and slow. There is very little in the way of action and what action exists is often clumsy and quick, as one would imagine it would be. 8/10

I also watched Goodfellas on the flight back. No need to do a review. It's Goodfellas.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #1458
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

No Country For Old Men
As art, this is a 10/10. There's lots to chew on thematically, and the much-reviled transition to the final act plays a big part in that.

As entertainment, it's only about 7/10. There's a real bait-and-switch with the narrative arc of the piece, and the result is that even though the move is an artistic tour-de-force, there's no satisfying resolution to any of the conflict in the piece.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #1459
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Undisputed II: Last Man Standing - Starring Michael Jai White.

It's about an underground MMA circuit in a foreign prison. You have to watch the fight scenes in this movie... ridiculously awesome.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #1460
Calis
College Starter

I just watched The Proposition last night which I'd been meaning to see for quite a while because hey..Nick Cave wrote it, and it's a Western..that's enough to pique my interest.

If I had to rate it I'd go with around a 7.0. It was a good movie, but I don't think it was ever really developed. There's so much more they could've done with it, but the narrative in the end was sorta meh. I loved the setting and I think they did a great job with portraying Australia as this wasteland that the British and Irish are trying to colonize for God knows what reason. Pretty brutally violent as well.

Ray Winstone was very good in it, I'm a fan of his.

So not great, but good overall imo.

Last edited by Calis : 02-20-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #1461
MikeVic
Head Coach

Be Kind Rewind - 7.5/10
It started off pretty slow, but once it got to the fake movie stuff it was good from then on. Quite a few funny moments. The story actually had nice qualities to it, and there were a couple of nice scenes that I liked how they were shot. I don't know how to describe it, but the movie just had "nice" qualities to it. I was actually surprised that it had no swearing at all, no inappropriate scenes for kids, etc. I'd recommend watching it.

edit - I'm editing this to a 7.5 from an 8. I was thinking on it some more, and the beginning really drags it down for me. The characters seemed different to me too, which isn't good.

Last edited by MikeVic : 02-25-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #1462
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I watched Drumline again last night and still like it. I was a percussionist in marching band all throughout HS and into college, though not on a drum line. I grew up in marching and concert bands and even though the styles were radically different than I what I experienced, I did get to see some of the HBCU bands and can appreciate their style. From what i have read, the competition for getting into such a band is very intense and serious business and this movie works with a 'fish out of water' character. Plus any movie with Zoe Saldana is always cool. 7/10
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #1463
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Kingdom 9/10

I absolutely thought it was great. The editing, the direction, the acting. It was subtle, Chris Cooper was awesome, probably my favorite character. It was a cops and robbers set in saudi arabia and I simply thought the characters, including those simply touched upon in SA we're wll done. I highly recommend this flick.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #1464
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
The Kingdom 9/10

I absolutely thought it was great. The editing, the direction, the acting. It was subtle, Chris Cooper was awesome, probably my favorite character. It was a cops and robbers set in saudi arabia and I simply thought the characters, including those simply touched upon in SA we're wll done. I highly recommend this flick.

I've always liked Chris Cooper...strictly in my opinion I've never seen him in a bad role......but still, to this day, I cannot get over his creepy character in American Beauty. Ugh.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #1465
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
I've always liked Chris Cooper...strictly in my opinion I've never seen him in a bad role......but still, to this day, I cannot get over his creepy character in American Beauty. Ugh.

Cheers!

Most underrated actor in Hollywood in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #1466
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Bourne Ultimatum - 9/10

It isn't a bad thing, but this is Yet Another Bourne Movie. All 3 seem the same but that sameness is good. The fight scene that ends in the shower is one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a long time.

The on-location stuff is amazing. Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff made it all the more interesting.

Of the 3 films, I liked this one the most.

Edit - Oops, I originally had Supremacy and it was the Ultimatum.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 02-25-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #1467
Lorena
Unregistered

The Pursuite of Happyness - 8.8.10

I teared up on several scenes, but at the same time, I wondered how much of that happened when it did in the film? I wouldn't doubt if it happened at different points of his life, but not at the same time. Doesn't matter, Will Smith was so, so good I actually believed he was going through it.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #1468
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler re: There Will Be Blood

I think that's a very fair argument. I saw No Country last weekend and had a little of the same feeling, which brought me back to thinking about There Will Be Blood some more. I'm not sure which I liked better, but I do think they were both justifiable Best Picture candidates.

Last edited by path12 : 02-25-2008 at 08:56 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #1469
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hard Candy - 8.5/10
I thought this was really well done. Only thing keeping it from a 9 or higher is that a couple of the things to extend the movie seemed kinda unlikely... other than that, I liked this movie. Both characters are so creepy, and that uhh known scene was cringe-worthy.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #1470
Flasch186
Coordinator

American Meth 4/10

A documentary trying to show the meth epidemic in the Midwest but unfortunately it doesnt do, really, anything. It recaps the Faces of Meth site, a few county P.D.'s talk about it, then they follow a trailer park couple as they do an awful job of raising their 4 kids while in the shadow of meth. It's just superficial, mundane, boring and an intervention wanna be without the intervention. Avoid this.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #1471
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Grindhouse flicks 8/10

Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino go B horror on our asses!

It is gloriously gory in a B movie sense with body parts flying, puss oozing, girls jigglin' and it's just good fun. I recommend both of 'em (Death Proof and Planet Terror) they are both good fun.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #1472
MikeVic
Head Coach

I liked Planet Terror, but Death Proof was boring as hell in parts.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #1473
korme
Go Reds

Ah, to me Death Proof over Planet Terror
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #1474
MikeVic
Head Coach

I hated the talking about nothing parts. In his other movies, the conversations at least had me entertained. Here, I was so bored.

Last edited by MikeVic : 02-28-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #1475
korme
Go Reds

American Gangster (2007) - Much like typical gangster flicks, this one felt like it was a bit too long. For me, the first hour really dragged but the last 3/5 of the movie was very entertaining/thrilling. At the end it makes you feel bad for the antagonist, which is usually also what happens in these types of movies. Good flick that I could see a lot of people talking about for years to come but just because of the character and what they represent more than the movie as a whole. 7.5/10, a bit disappointing.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #1476
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
American Gangster (2007) - Much like typical gangster flicks, this one felt like it was a bit too long. For me, the first hour really dragged but the last 3/5 of the movie was very entertaining/thrilling. At the end it makes you feel bad for the antagonist, which is usually also what happens in these types of movies. Good flick that I could see a lot of people talking about for years to come but just because of the character and what they represent more than the movie as a whole. 7.5/10, a bit disappointing.

Watching this in the theatre, i felt it was a good movie. Months later, after buying the dvd and watching the 3 hour version, i now feel its great. I think i had a very similar reaction the first time. It was a typical gangster flick. But now that time has passed, and I've watched it twice, it is up there with scarface, but not quite at the level of goodfellas.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #1477
Groundhog
Coordinator

King of Kong - 8.5/10

Really enjoyed this one. Surprisingly "heart warming" (which is why the gf enjoyed it as well), and it's always interesting getting a deeper look at small, hardcore groups like these old school gamers.

Did some reading up on it when I got home from the theatre and though there was certainly some creative editing involved, Mitchell still comes off as a complete ass in every interview.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #1478
Lorena
Unregistered

There Will Be Blood - 5.5/10

Antmeister and I walked out of the threatre really wanting to like it, but it was mediocre at best. There was one point in the movie where I was thinking how boring it was and them bam.. some action, but I don't think it delivered much after that. Don't get me wrong, Daniel Day-Lewis was batshit crazy greedy and his perfomance was awesome, but the movie as a whole was just meh.

EDIT to add: it was the same kind of empty feeling I felt after watching No Country For Old Men. I don't get why these movies were nominated for Oscars.. I really don't.

Last edited by Lorena : 03-02-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #1479
RendeR
Coordinator

Spiderwyck chronicles - 6/10

Typical children's fantasy story taken to film, done to a mediocre level at best. Culd have been far more entertaining, though it did have some great one liners.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #1480
rowech
Pro Starter

3:10 to Yuma -- If I liked westerns it would probably be a 9 or a 10. I love both actors but in the end, a western is a western and I just don't see the point. (6/10)
Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #1481
Sgran
High School Varsity

The Terminator and Mad Max
both 10/10

Some movies age like wine, some like cheese. I watched both of these movies recently without seeing them for decades. i can honest say that both stand the test of time.
Why?
Plot, script and pacing. Both of these movies were made by film makers who cared about the final product, and didn't need a massive budget to produce thrills and memorable action. If you've never seen one of them, or haven't seen one for a while, have a look. You won't be disappointed.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #1482
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Spiderwyck chronicles - 6/10

Typical children's fantasy story taken to film, done to a mediocre level at best. Culd have been far more entertaining, though it did have some great one liners.

I agree. It wasn't bad, but could have been done much better IMO. I blame the director as the story was obviously there.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #1483
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Semi-Pro - 7/10

Typical Will Ferrall movie. I laughed a bunch but a lot of it is the same old stuff from him. Thankfully I like the same old stuff from him and it doesn't get real old with me. Better then the ice skating movie by far, and probably better then Taladega Nights IMO. One of the previews was for another movie of his coming out in the summer, Step-Brothers. That movie looks better then this one.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #1484
Izulde
Head Coach

The Other Boelyn Girl - 6

The first 30 minutes or so of this movie frankly suck and suck in a bad way. The editing is rough, the acting absolutely horrible and the pacing wonky. That said, once things move to court, the acting picks up, the story evens out, and the editing improves (though it's still pretty bad throughout).

It crescendos very well starting with court and ends up being a really good movie for the second half of the film. Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson are very good in the second half, with Johansson particularly so.

Now, I have to say that I also saw this movie after having watched Season One of the Tudors and as such, I kept comparing the two in my mind. Eric Bana as Henry is comparable to the actor in the Tudors (whose name I forget off the top of my head, along with the other actors in the Tudors series). I prefer the actress for Anne Boelyn in The Tudors to Natalie Portman for the role by a significant degree and ScarJo just knocks the stuffing out of The Tudors' Mary Boelyn actress.

Now, that being said, both presentations cast the characters in a different light, but that gets into spoiler territory if I comment on it too much.

So final summary: It's a good film if you can fight through roughly the first half hour, but the awfulness of that first half hour is such degree, coupled with the editing wonkiness, means I can give it no higher than a 6.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #1485
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Other Boelyn Girl - 6

The first 30 minutes or so of this movie frankly suck and suck in a bad way. The editing is rough, the acting absolutely horrible and the pacing wonky. That said, once things move to court, the acting picks up, the story evens out, and the editing improves (though it's still pretty bad throughout).

It crescendos very well starting with court and ends up being a really good movie for the second half of the film. Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson are very good in the second half, with Johansson particularly so.

Now, I have to say that I also saw this movie after having watched Season One of the Tudors and as such, I kept comparing the two in my mind. Eric Bana as Henry is comparable to the actor in the Tudors (whose name I forget off the top of my head, along with the other actors in the Tudors series). I prefer the actress for Anne Boelyn in The Tudors to Natalie Portman for the role by a significant degree and ScarJo just knocks the stuffing out of The Tudors' Mary Boelyn actress.

Now, that being said, both presentations cast the characters in a different light, but that gets into spoiler territory if I comment on it too much.

So final summary: It's a good film if you can fight through roughly the first half hour, but the awfulness of that first half hour is such degree, coupled with the editing wonkiness, means I can give it no higher than a 6.

Probably goin' to see this this week (along with SemiPro)

BTW, Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #1486
RainMaker
General Manager

Michael Clayton - 8/10

It was a good all-around movie with top notch acting. I think the acting alone carried a mediocre storyline to a higher rating. It reminded me a bit of the old Grisham movies and kept me interested the whole way. The ending came about quick, although was superb. I was a bit disappointed because it was built up so much by movie critics. I just expected something more out of the movie and kept waiting for that big moment to hit. Nonetheless, it was good, just not the 9 or 10 out of 10 I was expecting.

Gone Baby Gone - 8.5/10

I really liked this movie and love the subtle things that were added to make it look like a realistic neighborhood. Casey Affleck is surprisingly solid and has a real good cast around him. The storyline is a bit too much though and prevented it from having a higher rating. The moral questions though that the movie raises is outstanding and doesn't get shoved down your throat. By far one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Premonition - 4/10

Kind of a cool "butterfly effect" concept I thought I could really get into. The movie was horrible though. I've always found Sandra Bullock to be average and the rest of the cast was nothing special. The storyline starts off interesting but just gets absurd. Her reactions to the events are completely unrealistic and you'll roll your eyes during parts of the movie. The saving grace is that it kept me interested in seeing how it would end. Some will like the ending, some will think it's just dumb. I'm in the middle. Could have been done much better.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #1487
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, watched Michael Clayton again last nigth for the first time since I saw it in theater in October. Still registers highly for me, even after knowing how it all ends. In fact, I think I appreciated it more. Still think it was the best overall movie I saw last year.

As to new movies I saw this weekend...

Semi-Pro-- 7/10 I would agree with the 7-ish grade given above. You do have to be a Will Ferrell fan. If you're not or if you can't stand the sight of Woody Harrelson, this movie isn't going to win you over or make you a fan. If you like his humor, though, you will laugh hard at some good parts, in and around mostly forgettable plot points. The Woody Harrelson-Maury Tierney thing was real forced and stupid, so I coulda done without all that. But the basketball stuff and the commentators were terrific. Favorite part--the eyeliner/fighting game (not giving anything away there; you'll know what I mean).

Vantage Point-- 7.5/10 The reviews said there was a ton of coincidence in this to move the complicated plot forward, and they were spot on with that, borderline ridiculous. That said, I thought the different vantage points perspective was pretty well done and interesting, and despite the repeated timelines, the story moved forward pretty well. Plus, I can always dig the whole international intrigue and car chases and stuff, and this had plenty of that. Don't expect any Oscar work, but it's a passably entertaining popcorn action flick.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #1488
RainMaker
General Manager

American Gangster - 8/10

I really liked this movie and the sad thing is that if it was about 20-30 minutes shorter, it might have gotten a 9 or a 10 from me. Mind you I watched the uncut DVD version, but still, the movie tended to drag. I'm not opposed to longer movies either, I just think they went overboard with some scenes. Still, I liked the movie a lot and thought Denzel Washington was brilliant. I think the movie would have been better off cutting out the last scene.

Cashback - 6/10

It's kind of an artsy movie but I actually kind of enjoyed it. You have to be a fan of independent films as it fits that style. You're basically following around a heartbroken art student who deals with insomnia and picks up a graveyard shift at a grocery store to pass the time. Has a little comedy, little drama, little romance mixed in. It has a boatload of smoking hot T&A that is done "tastefully" too. It's one of those movies you can slip into movie night with the woman and not have her give you a weird look when some nudity arises.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #1489
Bonegavel

Crank - 6/10

These guys tried hard to be Guy Ritchie/Q.T and were only moderately successful.

The good: some very funny moments, great camera work, and decent premise.

The bad: the premise's promise wasn't realized and almost seemed an afterthought when it should have been the driving force. A lot of cheese, though I understand it was intentional - I guess it was just a type of cheese I don't prefer.

Glad I didn't see in the theater (i.e., I didn't waste $20).

X-men: Last Stand 7/10

I love the x-men and the movies have done them justice. Still, something seemed missing in this movie. The whole Jean thread just seemed to meander along and ended predictably (even if what Wolvie did wasn't). I did like Magneto stuff.

I am so bloody tired of the "Person A is out-of-their-mind and only Person B can bring them back" storyline that I will quite possibly vomit the next time I see it on film.

I thought the choice of Kelsey Grammer was bad. All I could think when I saw him on-screen was, "that is Frasier with fangs and blue hair." The young ones watching this may be saved, but not the rest of us.

The good: Sfx very good, seeing the X-men in action is always nice, and seeing Rebecca in the Mystique outfit is never bad.

The bad: blah blah blah, Yes, I understand Rogue wants to be able to hold hands with Bobby, Why Magneto wasn't imprisoned at the end is beyond all comprehension.

Glad I didn't see in theater.

Aeon Flux - 5/10

I wanted to hate this (because I loved the anime) but I wound up just disliking it. I knew there was no way they could fully capture the anime flavor but instead of trying they went off in a different direction.

If this didn't have the Aeon Flux title it would never been green-lighted since the story here is almost non-existent and it relied completely on my desire for what it should have been rather than what it was.

Very glad I didn't see this in the theater.

Charlize is great to watch.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #1490
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Dan in Real Life 8/10

Okay, I'm a sucker. When Steve Carell sung the last part of "Let My Love Open The Door", I felt like crying. It's a touching movie, and great to watch with a loved one or relatives.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #1491
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
X-men: Last Stand 7/10

I love the x-men and the movies have done them justice. Still, something seemed missing in this movie. The whole Jean thread just seemed to meander along and ended predictably (even if what Wolvie did wasn't). I did like Magneto stuff.

I am so bloody tired of the "Person A is out-of-their-mind and only Person B can bring them back" storyline that I will quite possibly vomit the next time I see it on film.

I thought the choice of Kelsey Grammer was bad. All I could think when I saw him on-screen was, "that is Frasier with fangs and blue hair." The young ones watching this may be saved, but not the rest of us.

The good: Sfx very good, seeing the X-men in action is always nice, and seeing Rebecca in the Mystique outfit is never bad.

The bad: blah blah blah, Yes, I understand Rogue wants to be able to hold hands with Bobby, Why Magneto wasn't imprisoned at the end is beyond all comprehension.

Glad I didn't see in theater.

Interesting take on X-Men: Last Stand. I thought it pretty much sucked. There were some decent action sequences. I liked the fight at Jean Grey's place with Storm, Wolverine, and the Juggernaught and all that. There were a couple of other decent action-type moments, but over all it was dreadful.

There were far too many stupid one-liners. The big fight at the end, the "Last Stand" presumably, pretty much involved various X-Men beating up a bunch of homeless looking people in rags. It was pretty uninspiring. Killing a certain major character off-screen was silly. It was poorly directed and poorly written.

Surprisingly, I felt Kelsey Grammer was an inspired choice for "The Beast" and I thought he pulled it off exceptionally well. I thought that was one of the highlights of the film.

I'd give it a 5/10 tops, perhaps 4/10. It was pretty disappointing.

I felt like "X-Men 2" was the best of the series. I am hopeful about the new Wolverine movie, but who knows...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #1492
Critch
lolzcat

The Kingdom - 3/10

Starts out as a gritty, realistic investigation into a terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia, doesn't go anywhere for a while, doesn't have much of a plot, then devolves into an over-the-top shoot 'em up with the most laughably bad bad-guy shooting since the Stormtroopers couldn't hit a barndoor in the first Star Wars.

Better off with Syriana.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #1493
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I, Robot - Never seen this before but I saw we had it and I've always liked Will Smith. Caveat: I very much dislike scifi but can appreciate a fun story as long as it isn't stupidly convoluted or nonsensical like the Matrix. I, Robot is a simple story, easy for a non-fan to follow and grounded in enough reality to make it sensible. Like I said, I like Will Smith and the attitude he brings. 7/10
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #1494
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I, Robot - Never seen this before but I saw we had it and I've always liked Will Smith. Caveat: I very much dislike scifi but can appreciate a fun story as long as it isn't stupidly convoluted or nonsensical like the Matrix. I, Robot is a simple story, easy for a non-fan to follow and grounded in enough reality to make it sensible. Like I said, I like Will Smith and the attitude he brings. 7/10

Steve, and I mean this in the nicest, eye-winking way possible: you are SUCH a dinosaur.

Yeah, I, Robot is good fun in and of itself, although anyone thinking it in anyway relates to the classic novels is in for a sharp disappointment.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #1495
Buccaneer
Head Coach

And why would that make me a dinosaur since we both agree that it was a fun movie? Whether it relates to the books or not is irrelevant when judging a movie on its own merits. Plus, a lot of people don't like scifi, right?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #1496
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And why would that make me a dinosaur since we both agree that it was a fun movie? Whether it relates to the books or not is irrelevant when judging a movie on its own merits. Plus, a lot of people don't like scifi, right?

Yeah, it was the scifi thing, nothing else. To me, it's akin to saying, "I just don't understand these new-fangled machines the kids use called 'computers'."

Of course, that is ironic, since you work with computers, and we are communicating via some (but you know what I mean).

Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 AM   #1497
korme
Go Reds

I'm way younger than Bucc and I give the stink-eye when I hear all the rave about sci-fi movies
Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #1498
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

American Gangser - 9/10 Yes it was long, but I love Denzel Washington and I really loved this movie.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #1499
Bonegavel

I'm trying to get through the Brother's Grimm but I fell asleep and I haven't put it back the disc back in the player since. I got about half way. Not so good. I will finish it up, however.

EDIT: monica bellucci is one of the sexiest women alive.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 03-07-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #1500
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
American Gangser - 9/10 Yes it was long, but I love Denzel Washington and I really loved this movie.

There ya go. Twenty percent.