Hall Of Famer

Thanks!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #1452
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I bought a 1966 copy of Acquire from a BGG auction last year, so I finally broke that open to play a solo four-player game since I wanted something easy to pick up and play. I'll finish the game tomorrow, but it is a fascinating little game.

Acquire is a great game that needs more play. It definitely needs multiple plays to get strategies down, but it really opens up with additional plays. It also scales well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #1453
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Sam:
10. Gemblo
9. Kahuna
8. Say Anything
7. Small World
6. Jamaica
5. Summoner Wars
4. King of Tokyo
3. Stone Age
2. Shadows over Camelot
1. Ticket to Ride

Zee:
10. Telestrations
9. Biblios
8. TZAAR
7. Nexus Opus
6. Werewolf
5. Jamaica
4. Shadows over Camelot
3. Factory Fun
2. King of Tokyo
1. Pillars of Earth

Tom:
10. Pillars of the Earth
9. Summoner Wars
8. Dominion
7. The Resitence
6. Lost Cities
5. Wits and Wagers
4. King of Tokyo
3. No Thanks!
2. Tickect to Ride
1. Pandemic

We should do our own lists.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #1454
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Is there somewhere that lists what their top 10 was without having to watch the video?

They list them at the end of the video.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #1455
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Acquire is a great game that needs more play. It definitely needs multiple plays to get strategies down, but it really opens up with additional plays. It also scales well.

I played Acquire twice as a kid (about 13 years old) and remember really enjoying it. I was playing with a group who was very familiar with the game, so I had a hard go of it, but I still enjoyed myself. Been meaning to pick it up for my own collection and have never gotten around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
We should do our own lists.

I love lists

Honorable mention: Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Balloon Cup, The Resistance, Arkham Horror, Small World.

1. Eclipse
2. Game of Thrones the Board Game (2nd Edition)
3. Dominion
4. King of Tokyo
5. Power Grid
6. 7 Wonders
7. Ticket to Ride
8. Brass
9. Risk: Legacy
10. Settlers of Catan

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-26-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #1456
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Problem is - I haven't even played 10 games since starting this hobby

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 06-26-2013 at 12:09 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #1457
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Honorable mention: Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Balloon Cup, The Resistance, Arkham Horror, Small World.

1. Eclipse
2. Game of Thrones the Board Game (2nd Edition)
3. Dominion
4. King of Tokyo
5. Power Grid
6. 7 Wonders
7. Ticket to Ride
8. Brass
9. Risk: Legacy
10. Settlers of Catan

I would sub in some of the honorable mentions and Cosmic Encounter, but your list is already better than any of the Dice Tower lists. I think my issue is I would need to create a second account so I could list 11-20 as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #1458
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Here's mine, not my favorites, but ones everyone should have:

1). Settlers of Catan
2). Ticket to Ride
3). Cosmic Encounter
4). Modern Art
5). Puerto Rico
6). Tigris & Euphrates
7). Formula De
8). Summoner Wars
9). El Grande
10). Power Grid

El Grande should be 6ish, but otherwise this is my list. My top 10 favorite games is different.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #1459
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If you guys have some time to kill, there's a podcast on games and game design that I really enjoy. Bill Abner's been on it and the guys that run it are pretty interesting and have strong topics:

http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/

You can find it on iTunes and it's free to download. They deal a lot with both tabletop and digital games. They also focus a lot on the design process and interview some pretty interesting and influential board game designers. Just an FYI
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #1460
tarcone
Coordinator

Game day turned inot a 5 player affair. So we broke put Attack! again. One guy had to leave at 3 pm. We started at 11 am. In that time frame we got 3 years of play in. We left it set up and plam on finishing it Tuesday. I really enjoy this game. But im an Ameritrash guy.
When the one guy left we played a game of Empires of the Void with the expansion. Much better game. I had to shut it down at 5:30 since I had to ref at 6:15. We got through 6 rounds of this game. EotV is not good for the conservative player, which I tend to be. We have one guy who is aggressive and the game really played into his hands.

Im not sure what my top 10 of essential games would be. But I think EotV would fall in before Eclipse. Eclipse is a much more in depth game and much more time intensive. EotV is lighter but still very strategic and has the same aspects of Eclipse.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #1461
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Finished up my game of Acquire. Turns where you place a tile in no man's land kind of stink even if you can still buy stock. It would be nice to have more freedom in how you can sell your stock, but those are really my only complaints. The player who won benefited from investing a company that got merged while having the only stock in the company so they go both first and second place bonuses. They used the windfall to buy stock as much as possible and turn that into more stock as companies got bought out and eventually they became the primary shareholder in the biggest company and used that for a $30K kick in the end.

I might put it around a 7.5 or 8. I can see how this could eventually lead to 18XX games, but I'm not there yet. I already own American Rails so I'll go there for my next financial game and see how I like it and what I like about it.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #1462
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Finished up my game of Acquire. Turns where you place a tile in no man's land kind of stink even if you can still buy stock. It would be nice to have more freedom in how you can sell your stock, but those are really my only complaints. The player who won benefited from investing a company that got merged while having the only stock in the company so they go both first and second place bonuses. They used the windfall to buy stock as much as possible and turn that into more stock as companies got bought out and eventually they became the primary shareholder in the biggest company and used that for a $30K kick in the end.

I might put it around a 7.5 or 8. I can see how this could eventually lead to 18XX games, but I'm not there yet. I already own American Rails so I'll go there for my next financial game and see how I like it and what I like about it.

Never let someone be the only investor in a company, I learned that the hard way. Also, never merge companies if you don't know what will occur in said merger.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #1463
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The first happened due to it being my first play. The latter kept me thinking towards the end part of the game.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #1464
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Game night was solid. We played a rather bizarre game of Suburbia. The two people with the highest scores didn't get either of their personal goals. Mine was lowest number of green tiles and another player never played another green besides their initial one. I got the waterfront realty and had the lowest lakes. I built up my income and doubled down on my one starting title to boost rep and tried to survive the number of red bars I was going to burn through. I gave up on my secret goal so I decided to try to build as big of a lead as possible. I actually ended up maxing my rep and money bars on my last turn. I felt like it was my best played game yet so I was disappointed with not getting my secret goal. I've never seen anybody not play a second green when it wasn't related to a goal.

Usually when we play a game, we replay it, or play something else but there has been no real negative commentary on the games we play. This time the new player said it lacked interaction, which I found to be odd. I'm kind of bummed because if this ultimately means they don't want to play it all that often, one of my favorite games is getting pushed to the side.

Second game was Glory to Rome. One player sat out so we did a rematch between I and another player. Due an error on her part for figuring final scoring, we ended up tied. We had enough of the game put away to not go back and continue. The previous game was long due to a couple of reasons so it was a nice change up to play this and have it end at a proper pace.

Final game was Citadels. I had gotten this last year but hadn't played it yet. Probably gonna need to switch out the Assassin, but it was enjoyed by both people so it is going to get some more play. I broke the potential tie in the end by using my Warlord ability to destroy another player's district as my final action. It will help to get some more plays with it, but it is a solid game for something more on the meaty filler side.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #1465
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just had a short little game night here...

We're pretty big into co-op games.

We played Sentinels of the Multiverse. We took down Spite.

Then we fired up a game of "Defenders of the Realm" and ended up losing after only taking down one general, the demon, and having the undead general take Monarch City.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #1466
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Glad to hear you enjoyed it The intro mission is laughably easy for the heroes, interested to hear how the second half of Fat Goblin plays out.

We finished up Fat Goblin with the Heros beating me by killing Splieg. I think if I played it a little differently (he was able to block me in a tight passage way and i couldnt get past) and had better rolls I could have easily snuck Splieg out. One of the Heros is a Necro and the raised familiar ability is actually a really strong attacker.

Next my buddy selected Castle Daerion as the next quest. We finished the 1st encounter with me killing 3 of 4 villagers but he did light all four beacons. Looks like the killed villagers become zombies in the next encounter

Overall we both still think this game is great.

On another note.... My wife is now officially a board gamer!!! For the past few nights we have played Lords of the Waterdeep, Forbidden Island, and Ticket to Ride. I'm so glad she finally "broke" and tried some of these games. Much better quality time spent together than watching TV or surfing the web

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 06-29-2013 at 08:26 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #1467
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The Assassin in Citadels is fine, the thief is actually a bigger pain in the rear. The key with both the assassin and thief is they target a role, not a player. Most new players get this wrong. So I can assassinate the king, but I cannot target Frank. Now if Franks happens to select the king...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #1468
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The Assassin in Citadels is fine, the thief is actually a bigger pain in the rear. The key with both the assassin and thief is they target a role, not a player. Most new players get this wrong. So I can assassinate the king, but I cannot target Frank. Now if Franks happens to select the king...

The thief is hard to pull off though. The role might not be an option and the person who has the role might be broke. The magician can be annoying if the person with the role has no cards. I pulled this off and got 2-3 cards out of it with giving the other player none. The person who played the assassin the most also came in last. Yeah, you randomly prevent somebody from playing their turn, but you also don't get a beneficial power to help yourself either.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #1469
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Right, the thief is much more powerful in my opinion. The main value of the assassin to me is offing the bishop towards the end game if you need to catch up, since the Bishop is immune to the Warlord.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #1470
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Has anyone tried Pandemic? Seems fairly highly regarded and looking for a fun game for the wife and I (and maybe my 8 year old as well).
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #1471
tarcone
Coordinator

Yep. Pandemic is a fun game. And being cooperative makes it great for your 8 year old. It is tense and sometimes frustrating. But in a fun way.
I enjoy playing Pandemic.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #1472
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Has anyone tried Pandemic? Seems fairly highly regarded and looking for a fun game for the wife and I (and maybe my 8 year old as well).

I have Pandemic. It's a very solid co-op game.

I would also consider "Defenders of the Realm." The game play and mechanics are, in some ways, very much like Pandemic, but it's set in a fantasy world and instead of being various CDC folks fighting diseases you're various fantasy types fighting different armies. I think, overall, our group prefers "Defenders of the Realm" over Pandemic. Both are pretty easy to play.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #1473
cschex
High School Varsity

Defenders of the Realm is very similar to Pandemic. The main "issue" for me is that it's twice the price of Pandemic and the theme isn't that much more engaging to justify the cost, personally. Flash Point is another solid co-op with a fire fighter theme, but I find Pandemic to probably be the most accessible.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #1474
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I am working on a data take on ranking the games I have played. Maybe not really a Top 10 or whatever, but the games that ended up having the biggest impact in terms of rating, plays, and time invested. Pandemic is the highest ranked game that I or my one friend doesn't own on said list. It is one of those unavoidable games if you get into playing board games by going to a game store's game day or conventions. It's very solid and likely as well designed of a co-op that I have come across. It does suffer a little bit in the dry euro, cube pushing aspect despite the theme. I think Flash Point isn't as well designed of a game, but more fun even though I rate both as 8s. I'm sure at some point I'll find a co-op that is clearly better for me, but it is likely the safest pick for a co-op going. It's kind of like picking Ticket to Ride for a gateway or Agricola for a worker placement. It could bomb, but the odds are rather low. Side benefit is it has one of the better expansions out.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #1475
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
...or Agricola for a worker placement. It could bomb, but the odds are rather low...

I'm still bitter my group hates this game. I really, really want to get more plays, but it's impossible to get to our table.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #1476
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

At least there is a solo option. I'm getting it at some point. I'm not 100% certain how it will go over, but I partly don't care. I'll solo it if I have to dang it.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #1477
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have Pandemic. It's a very solid co-op game.

I would also consider "Defenders of the Realm." The game play and mechanics are, in some ways, very much like Pandemic, but it's set in a fantasy world and instead of being various CDC folks fighting diseases you're various fantasy types fighting different armies. I think, overall, our group prefers "Defenders of the Realm" over Pandemic. Both are pretty easy to play.
Defenders of the Realm does look more my style - the problem is I want my wife to play (she's just getting into games). And, if I break out a "D&D/Medieval" style game she will tell me to put it right back in that box

So, the theme of Pandemic may be more palatable for her...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1478
tarcone
Coordinator

Game Day tomorrow. We are going to continue our Attack! game. 10 am start. 3 of us have scheming about a player who is currently in the lead.
I was going to attack South Africa from Australia. That gets me on his African continent. But said player goes first next round. Im not sure if Im ready to make the move. I may burn an oil chit and take my Winter turn. That would make it better for me.

This game is fun and right up out groups alley. We are definitely an ameritrash group.
If the game ends in mid afternoon, I will break out an euro. Dominant Species. Still waiting to play this one.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #1479
oykib
College Starter

Miniature Market is having a clearance sale on a bunch of games you're probably not interested in. But they are only $6.99 each. It's also Buy 5 get the sixth free. It's worth taking a look.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #1480
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Random & totally not ready for prime time game note ... my still has to finish his Eagle project Scout agreed to help another guy earn a badge: Game Design

They're currently working on a tabletop sports game modeling ...
professional kickball
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #1481
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Defenders of the Realm does look more my style - the problem is I want my wife to play (she's just getting into games). And, if I break out a "D&D/Medieval" style game she will tell me to put it right back in that box

So, the theme of Pandemic may be more palatable for her...

If she's not a gamer, Flash Point might even be the better option. I've never played it, but I hear it's a bit more accessible than Pandemic even (and very similar). If she's into gaming, just not D&D style, then Pandemic all the way.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #1482
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Flash Point can be more on the random side.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #1483
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Anyone here play the game Tobago? Its reviews are fairly positive and I think it won a few BGG and Dice Tower awards but you don't really hear that much about it.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #1484
Danny
Head Coach

Tobago is ok, it's very pretty, but mechanically was eh. I sold it away
Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #1485
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
Miniature Market is having a clearance sale on a bunch of games you're probably not interested in. But they are only $6.99 each. It's also Buy 5 get the sixth free. It's worth taking a look.

Anyone played this?
Campaign Manager 2008 (Clearance) - Board Game Blowout - Clearance
Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1486
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

It is a bit dated already as you can only simulate Obama vs Mccain. It supposedly is decent, but lacks re-playability. I actually have Swing States from VPG for solitaire play. Its nice because each side has several candidates you can match up.

Last edited by Danny : 07-02-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #1487
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

There's a Mage Knight character expansion coming out. Kind of sad it is one of the things I'm most looking forward to this year, and it is merely a character expansion.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #1488
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:

You could try the game on Yucata.

http://www.yucata.de/en/GameInfo/CampaignManager

There is also a YouTube video on that page for the game's DiceTower review from back in 2010.

I own the following political election board games: Swing States 2012, 1960: The Making of the President, Campaign Manager 2008, Divided Republic, and Candidate (Avalon Hill version). I would give all five games a rating of 3 out of 5, but if I had to rank them, Campaign Manager 2008 would probably be last.

It is still a simple, fun two player game and can be played in about an hour or so. I think it is a good deal for only $6.99 (I think I paid $9.99 for my copy.), but you might only get two or three plays out of it before you move on to something else. Why? Because, it is about the 2008 presidential election.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #1489
tarcone
Coordinator

Finished our game of attack! The last place guy was boxed in SA. He had no where to go. Small armies. Lots of pressure. But he was able to do a blitz into NA and hit a Capitol. HE won the battle and ended the game. I finished 3rd out of 5.

Dominant Species hit the table. 1st game. It was a learning game. We only got through a few rounds before people had to leave. Again, it was a learning game. But I really like it. I cant wait to get through a whole. game. Very deep. Lots of decisions. Lots of strategy.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #1490
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

At that price, I found it hard to resist, so I picked it up last month. Amy and I took it on our trip this month. Played it a few times.

I like it, but I find myself leaning strongly toward the strategy of selecting as many cards as possible that allow me to draw new cards and fighting hard for bigger states - there's very little incentive to put effort into smaller states. The use of issues is interesting, but essentially random. So I agree there might be limited replay value. There is also very little difference between Obama and McCain strategy-wise (just the text and pictures on the cards). The media bias stuff is a little weak. The cardboard bits are good quality, but the cards are a little flimsy, like Battle Line.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #1491
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Dusted off Summoner Wars. God, I love that game. I finally had the Cave Goblins go down swinging for the first time, and it was the Deep Dwarves that did it. The Dwarves have come across as ok so far so I was mildly surprised they won.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1492
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I like both sets of dwarves. The Deep Dwarves definitely have a different play style. I still think my favorite race is the Shadow Elves?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #1493
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's a Mage Knight character expansion coming out. Kind of sad it is one of the things I'm most looking forward to this year, and it is merely a character expansion.

I am glad to hear that. I need to play a game or two of this competitively. We always play coop since we usually have newish players.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1494
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't figured out a favorite faction. The Cave Goblins finally did seem to click for me though.

CSI does have Pandemic on sale for $21.99 even though it isn't listed on their July 4th sale listing. I know they have options for $5ish shipping so it would be cheaper than Amazon with a Prime account.

Pandemic (2013 Edition)

Last edited by Matthean : 07-04-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #1495
Danny
Head Coach

Even though they are considered one of the weaker factions I quite like the cloaks. Especially with my custom deck using some reinforcements.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #1496
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The Benders can be evil, not necessarily strong, but certainly fun.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #1497
cschex
High School Varsity

I'm a big fan of Jungle Elves, personally

Last edited by cschex : 07-04-2013 at 03:25 PM.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #1498
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I first played Cloaks before I had bought them and got trounced with them. I enjoyed playing them once I got them, but I haven't played them since. Jungle Elves are a recent add and fun. Benders need time to work, but they can lock down an opponent to where the game simply feels over at that point. Tundra Orcs and Mountain Vargath are two others that stand out for me as well. I honestly have a shorter list of factions that I'm not as fond of versus the opposite. The Vanguard feel like they need the reinforcement packs the most.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #1499
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A lot of pro like the Vagarth, but I have never gotten them to work well. I have yet to figure out what I am doing wrong with them.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #1500
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

They are pure go from the start. Their summoner gets involved more than others since he can move around with a pack of commons who can inflict some nice damage. I like the champions for the most part. The huge one is alright. Warriors are so strong against commons. I have a wall at the edge of their side when I get the chance so they start on the opponents side if possible and thus become a 2/2 for 1 magic against other commons. The events tie nice into that kind of a tight pack of moving together and clearing out stuff. About the only thing I'm not fond of is the brutes with knockback. The faction has one single ranged attack. There better be a really good reason to push something back 3 spaces when you can only move forward 2. You are basically limited to pushing back a melee champion to give yourself room.

Ordered the last of the reinforcement packs. This completes the first summoners for me.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.