Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #1451
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh boy, DiMarzio says City are closing on PEA from BVB. That would make back to back Bundesliga POtY signings.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-07-2016 at 02:19 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #1452
kingfc22
Head Coach

Klinsmann was so impressed by our last outing that he is trotting out the same exact lineup.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #1453
MrBug708
Head Coach

To be fair, he is known for being consistent with his decision making
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #1454
Easy Mac

We're winning, but how many could we have if attacks didn't die on the stone steps of Zardes?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #1455
Easy Mac

3-0. Who knew Dempsey could pass.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #1456
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

feel bad for Costa Rica, theyve played real good so far but are down 3-0

anyone else see fat teddy Roosevelt in the stands?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #1457
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So we can put the pitchforks back down now? Front line looks really good so far minus the Bermuda triangle known as Zardez feet. Back line still seems to have problems passing when pressed a little.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #1458
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Mmmmm we have the prettiest female soccer team in the world at least, even if our men can only beat concacaf teams
Old 06-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #1459
Easy Mac

Why Wondolowski? Were we not missing enough sitters already?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #1460
Easy Mac

I think Zusi was thinking the same thing I was on his goal: "well, I can't pass it, because these two will fuck it up."

Last edited by Easy Mac : 06-07-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #1461
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I had a feeling they'd come back and do precisely that with the victory.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #1462
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Klinsi is like Freddy or Jason, no matter how hard you root for it, you can't kill him off.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #1463
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW!! What a victory by the US! Some great performances and goals right when we needed them!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #1464
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
WOW!! What a victory by the US! Some great performances and goals right when we needed them!

Definitely a good result and I'm pleased they're still in it for sure - makes the tournament far more interesting for me

That being said Costa Rica played into their hands HUGELY with their approach to the game, counter attacking suits the US team far better than attempting to 'play' so Costa Rica attempting to play a high line with pressing was near suicidal ... yes it caused a few problems initially, but it also opened up space hugely for the US to attack through ...

I don't think that they'll receive any other gifts in terms of tactical approach during this tournament, still it was a great result and they looked very cohesive counter attacking and the result will have done their confidence a world of good

PS - Someone needs to tell the US commentators that contrary to their opinion Joel Campbell isn't a world class star .. yes he's finally broken into the team, but I would have thought Bryan Ruiz should have got star billing in the commentators minds rather than him ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-07-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:25 AM   #1465
bob
College Starter

So the US moves on with either:

1) A win over Paraguay
2) A tie with Paraguay as long as Costa Rica doesn't beat Columbia and make up the 6 goal differential.

With a loss, US is out.

Is that right?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #1466
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So the US moves on with either:

1) A win over Paraguay
2) A tie with Paraguay as long as Costa Rica doesn't beat Columbia and make up the 6 goal differential.

With a loss, US is out.

Is that right?
Yup, Copa America uses head-to-head results as the secondary tie-breaker, after goal difference and goals scored in all matches.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-08-2016 at 11:22 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #1467
Butter
Coordinator

Hard to tell if I should be excited about beating Costa Rica or not. I guess that's something that hasn't been a regular thing lately, so I should be.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #1468
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Hard to tell if I should be excited about beating Costa Rica or not. I guess that's something that hasn't been a regular thing lately, so I should be.

While Marc was right, Costa Rica played right into the US's hands by pressing (and not playing a D-Mid), Costa Rica is a very good team. Obviously one of the 3 best teams in CONCACAF, and with the US's recent poor run, they were threatening to pass the US. And while I know everyone decries the FIFA World Rankings, Costa Rica was the 23rd ranked team in the world (US was 31). Also remember that Costa Rica made it to the Quarterfinals of the World Cup a couple years ago.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #1469
MIJB#19
Coordinator

One more day until the 5 weeks of Euro 2016. Not having our team compete, means commercials on every tv channel will be loaded with Euro 2016 references, reminding us all we didn't qualify. There've been numerous initiates to promote 'us' to pick one of the 24 others, but it's just not the same. And eventually I'm sure I'll see most of the matches anyway, just like I did with World Cup 2002.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #1470
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
One more day until the 5 weeks of Euro 2016. Not having our team compete, means commercials on every tv channel will be loaded with Euro 2016 references, reminding us all we didn't qualify. There've been numerous initiates to promote 'us' to pick one of the 24 others, but it's just not the same. And eventually I'm sure I'll see most of the matches anyway, just like I did with World Cup 2002.

As I'm Scottish I have a lot of experience of watching Euros and World Cups we didnt qualify for, so I'd recommend my standard approach. It's worked well for me, and thousands of Scotland fans, over the years.

Choose ABE. Anybody But England.

Last edited by Critch : 06-09-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #1471
bhlloy
Coordinator

Flying to Bordeaux in a couple of hours, tongue in cheek I would say suck it up to both of you as this is the first time Wales have made a major tournament in 60 years

Our form since qualifying has been absolutely shocking so I'm not expecting anything earth shattering, but with Bale you never know and it's a major event just to be there. Just hoping the tournament goes without a hitch and everyone stays safe and it can be a good exhibition.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #1472
Alf
Pro Starter

While you are in Bordeaux and not at the new stadium, I recommend going to the "Connemara" Irish pub to watch other games : Connemara Irish Pub Bordeaux

Google
Old 06-10-2016, 03:01 AM   #1473
bhlloy
Coordinator

Cheers, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #1474
britrock88
Pro Starter

Drink some wine for me. And go little guys!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #1475
britrock88
Pro Starter

And for the record (and my own enlightenment), the list of Euro debutants: Albania, Iceland, N. Ireland, Slovakia, and Wales.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #1476
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's the Euro 2016 TV schedule (if it hasn't been posted yet):

Euro 2016 TV schedule - World Soccer Talk
Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #1477
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
And for the record (and my own enlightenment), the list of Euro debutants: Albania, Iceland, N. Ireland, Slovakia, and Wales.

June 16th is all that matters! Can't imagine the shit storm if England loses.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #1478
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Only debutants if you count those 4-team tournaments pre-1980 as 'Euro's'. Before 1980 the whole competition was one big knockout tournament, with a Final 4 at one of those semifinalists. Wales has actually reached the quarterfinals in 1976, Albania and Northern Ireland reached the round of 16 in 1964. And if you include Czechoslovakia into the Slovakian history, they have a very rich one.
Iceland however had never before advanced a single round in Euro's.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #1479
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
As I'm Scottish I have a lot of experience of watching Euros and World Cups we didnt qualify for, so I'd recommend my standard approach. It's worked well for me, and thousands of Scotland fans, over the years.

Choose ABE. Anybody But England.
I realize I've been spoiled.
A more Dutch approach would be ABG, Anybody but Germany, but they're actually one of few teams capable of playing watchable soccer.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-10-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #1480
whomario
Pro Starter

This opening ceremony is even more trainwrecky than most. Is David Guetta is the worst ...

The only good thing was the fans holding up the cards to form the flags of the participants and they didn´t even really show it with a camera move ...

Also: Now they have 4 minutes to remove all that getup from the pitch. I´m sceptical ...

Hate France on principle normally (don´t ask), but that team has some style to it. Need to score a ton though, the defense is very mediocre (especially now with CBs dropping like flies, but the FBs are so-so at best)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-10-2016 at 01:58 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #1481
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So MOM is an easy pick?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #1482
bhlloy
Coordinator

How on earth is France's best player someone who plays for West Ham and nobody has ever heard of before this year?
Old 06-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #1483
Alf
Pro Starter

Because marketing >> skill
Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #1484
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Only debutants if you count those 4-team tournaments pre-1980 as 'Euro's'. Before 1980 the whole competition was one big knockout tournament, with a Final 4 at one of those semifinalists. Wales has actually reached the quarterfinals in 1976, Albania and Northern Ireland reached the round of 16 in 1964. And if you include Czechoslovakia into the Slovakian history, they have a very rich one.
Iceland however had never before advanced a single round in Euro's.

Appreciate the additional context. Don't forget that to an American, soccer only came into being in 1994.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #1485
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That guy Messi for Argentina is pretty good.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #1486
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nice win by Wales. Not sure what game the refs were watching though.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #1487
whomario
Pro Starter

Sickening images from Marseille ... There´s a video of an english hooligan absolutely leveling an elderly (and pretty frail looking) bystander who literally didn´t know what the hell was happening ... I am at a loss at what motivates people to travel hours and spent tons of money to then run arround angry and punch people and destroy things ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-11-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #1488
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

A win is a win, now I hope Ward isn't in goal Thursday.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #1489
whomario
Pro Starter

Bale is doing a pretty great job for Wales considering the type of player he is. He´s no Messi, heck not even really a playmaker but his presence opens up so many things and he´s finding a great balance at working for the team and taking the nescessary breathers to carry the load offensively. Props to the coaching staff as well, the way Bale attacks up front and as soon as he´s overplayed Williams/Ramsey dropped back and moved more centrally to allow Bale to rest up was pretty interesting.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #1490
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Sickening images from Marseille ... There´s a video of an english hooligan absolutely leveling an elderly (and pretty frail looking) bystander who literally didn´t know what the hell was happening ... I am at a loss at what motivates people to travel hours and spent tons of money to then run arround angry and punch people and destroy things ...

Sounds like the English took a severe beating from the Russians, different level of organized "hoolie" coming from the east now. Next World Cup will be interesting.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #1491
MrBug708
Head Coach

Igor Akineev will always be one of those guys that FM has made well known to me
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #1492
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Go Tottenh...err...England! Those 5 Spurs in the starting lineup are pretty much the only reason I'm pulling for ENG.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #1493
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Igor Akineev will always be one of those guys that FM has made well known to me

yeah, definitely Might have the most games of all players (for all my clubs over all versions).

Russia looks like a team straight from the mid-90s, shockingly antiquated style of play. And thats coming from a big fan of lumbering strikers and good, old crosses into the box.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1494
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

well now...
Old 06-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #1495
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
well now...

Turns out its a bad idea not to follow up on a beat-down opponent. Seriously, Russia was terrible today. And then England finally go up (after sinking down to that level in the 2nd half themselves) and stop playing. Major choke.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #1496
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

England should have brought on players to press Russia more effectively in the second half - notably Vardy, still we played well and the setup of the tournament means that its far from over ... we've a young team and hopefully it'll remind them they need to play until the final whistle.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #1497
AlexB
Pro Starter

Kane and Sterling started well but faded badly. Encouraging performance, but think if they'd have made changes earlier, game would have been managed better just through more energy as much as anything.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #1498
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
A win is a win, now I hope Ward isn't in goal Thursday.

I can no longer speak, completely lost my voice. That was by far the best, most incredible sporting event I have ever been to.

We can lose to England and Russia and go out and it will still be worth the trip. What a day. Hodgson going turtle and England choking doesn't hurt either, even though it probably isn't a great thing for our chances of advancing
Old 06-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #1499
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I don't know that anyone will be able to duplicate Leicester City's Premiership campaign this year for my money. What do you think?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #1500
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I can no longer speak, completely lost my voice. That was by far the best, most incredible sporting event I have ever been to.

We can lose to England and Russia and go out and it will still be worth the trip. What a day. Hodgson going turtle and England choking doesn't hurt either, even though it probably isn't a great thing for our chances of advancing

Closest I've come to something even that close was Calzaghe-Hopkins fight. I could only imagine how it was.

So hyped for Thursday. Being able play for the draw will be huge but I think the counter striking offense might make the dream come true. Just hoping the Swansea back line gets at least a point.